/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable to cry?

AnonymousPoster
12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
:sl:

Is it forbidden to cry? During the day in the office, I am comfortable and can laugh and hold conversations with people. As soon as I leave the office, I feel horrible and I cry myself home while driving. My evenings are silent. I feel pain under my ribs and all around my ribs just under my arms. I feel like I want to cry, but nothing is happening. Am I beyond messed up? Do I need a brick thrown at my head to snap out of it all? Am I so foolish? :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
12-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Why should it be forbidden to cry? Are our emotions not what make us human? And are they not God-given??

Another (and possibly more important) question is why do you feel like crying so much?

Have you gone through much stress and strain lately? Are you under pressure?
Perhaps you should see a doctor to have a general health check. What kind of pain is this you are experiencing?
Or find somebody you can talk any problems over with.

I fear that worryig about whether crying is permitted or not could only add to any already existing feelings of burden/guilt/stress.

God loves you, and you should take care of yourself!
Please seek medical advice.

Peace :)

Belief_is_Power
12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
What exactly do you cry about?

Talha777
12-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Crying softens the heart. Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salaam and many of his companions used to soak the ground with their tears when they went into sajda (prostration) before their Maker.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Assalamualikum.

^ True, subhan'Allaah

Cry as much as you want don't worry..

Ma'assalama

glo
12-20-2007, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Assalamualikum.

^ True, subhan'Allaah

Cry as much as you want don't worry..

Ma'assalama

I'm afraid I disagree, Kitty.
If there are underlying emotional problems, they need to be explored and solved.
Crying can be beneficial and therapeutic thing, but it can also be the sign of hidden physical problems or unresolved trauma ...

Better to check it out, I think.

peace

Ibn Al Aqwa
12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
my opinion, not sure where i got it from but,

crying over things related to Dunyah is pointless, and i would say that should be stopped, or rather, be very limited...

crying out of fear/love for Allaah...that is definitely a good sign...and should be increased...

Allaahu'alim

Kittygyal
12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm afraid I disagree, Kitty.
If there are underlying emotional problems, they need to be explored and solved.
Crying can be beneficial and therapeutic thing, but it can also be the sign of hidden physical problems or unresolved trauma ...

Better to check it out, I think.

peace
Howdy.

Ya i understand, then again crying is good because you'll feel kinda better.. but ya crying often can harm you... Something which is bothering from inside must be heard and let out unless it's something which only Allaah should deal with.. Crying for repentance and for love of Allaah is wonderful..

Then again, speak to someone and seek help

Buh bye..

Hijaabi22
12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

Is it forbidden to cry? During the day in the office, I am comfortable and can laugh and hold conversations with people. As soon as I leave the office, I feel horrible and I cry myself home while driving. My evenings are silent. I feel pain under my ribs and all around my ribs just under my arms. I feel like I want to cry, but nothing is happening. Am I beyond messed up? Do I need a brick thrown at my head to snap out of it all? Am I so foolish? :cry:
whaaaaaaaaa

man me cry like al d tym

if i dont get wat i want then thaaaaaaaaatss itttttt :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

see dats d only way i can get wat i want- AHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hence why am a spoilt brat ;)

kitten
12-21-2007, 12:02 AM

I agree it could be down to depression or unresolved past issues . Either way please do get it checked out inshaAllah.

You can also use that time to make dua. The duas where one is shedding tears and pleading to Allah will be one of the duas raised highest and thus accepted.

Talk to Him and ask Him for his help, guidance and protection.

You have my duas! inshaAllah

:)

Pure Imaan
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I also feel like that. I am currently going through a test which requires patience and I am doing the BEST that I can but sometimes it gets abit too much so I cry to myself but then I assure myself the purpose of this world, the trials and tribulations and that the Hereafter is our real home, I think about the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and Allah (swt), I feel better knowing that Allah is close to me ALHUMDULLILAH, so I stop.

Sometimes I feel bad to cry because what I am going through it is nothing compared to what my muslims brothers and sisters are experiancing in Iraq, Afghan etc, our family who are being oppressed, children that have lost their parents and so forth, so I force myself not to cry becuase my mind tells me that I shouldn't and that it is weak....am I wrong for thinking like this.

Also, can I ask AnonymousGender the reasons behind as to why you cry so much?

chacha_jalebi
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
cryin all the time? no reason? sounds like hayfever :D :p

lol naa anony, i think you need to like think about what your crying because there has to be a reason. inshallah i hope you get better

Kittygyal
12-21-2007, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
whaaaaaaaaa

man me cry like al d tym

if i dont get wat i want then thaaaaaaaaatss itttttt :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

see dats d only way i can get wat i want- AHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hence why am a spoilt brat ;)

Assalamualikum

Tissues :)

I know what you means, but it's true gyals have senstive heart man.. we cry all the time because we do init it's true... we need to like be hard init :coolalien

Ma'assalama

The Ruler
12-21-2007, 08:26 PM

I somehow feel that your post is something that's beyond a question as simple as "Is it forbidden to cry?"

Is it forbidden to cry?
No, it is not. No where in the Qur'an or the Sunnah tells us against it. Infact, it encourages us to cry to Allah (swt).

During the day in the office, I am comfortable and can laugh and hold conversations with people. As soon as I leave the office, I feel horrible and I cry myself home while driving. My evenings are silent. I feel pain under my ribs and all around my ribs just under my arms.
Loneliness? Pain under the arms happens to me too. Sometimes when you feel your throat clogged, and you don't cry, it hurts below the arm and your ribs hurt... Possibly due to pressure which isn't released?

I feel like I want to cry, but nothing is happening. Am I beyond messed up?
May I ask you, do you feel that emotions are a sign of weakness, and that crying is bad? And no, you're not messed up nor are you foolish. :-)

Do I need a brick thrown at my head to snap out of it all?
No. You just need time.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
12-21-2007, 09:45 PM
no, is it acceptable to never cry at all is the question...

assalamu alaikum

The Ruler
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
no, is it acceptable to never cry at all is the question...

assalamu alaikum
Polite question: I don't see where the sister has clarified that. *Confused*

Re.TiReD
12-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Is it forbidden to cry?
Can you stop the tears? if you're hurt the tears flow without you waiting for it to happen, its natural.

During the day in the office, I am comfortable and can laugh and hold conversations with people.
Masha'Allah

As soon as I leave the office, I feel horrible and I cry myself home while driving.
Lonliness? Maybe you need somebody to talk to...it seems you're ok when you have people around you...

My evenings are silent.
If only I had silent evenings, i'd be able to concentrate more on prayers, SubhanAllah! Thats the best time to pray to Allah Subhanahu Wata'aala, talk to him and He'll help you through...

May you be filled with Sakeenah bro/sis, Ameen!

I feel pain under my ribs and all around my ribs just under my arms. I feel like I want to cry, but nothing is happening.
People have different ways of dealing with pain and misery...maybe the pain is tension....Insha'Allah try to relax a little when that happens...

Am I beyond messed up?
If that was true I'd be the next prime minister *smile*

Never lose hope...

'Become a person who repels problems with patience because there will not be such a day in which you do not see something undesirable'

Do I need a brick thrown at my head to snap out of it all?
No, it'll just give you a headache and add to your worries, have a nice, hot soak instead....

Am I so foolish?
Nope, you're in pain, you sound confused, I think a good dose of talking therapy should do the trick...

All the best *smile*

Ummu Sufyaan
12-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Is it forbidden to cry?
why would it be. im not saying its right or wrong, but i just want to know why you think it may/may not be?

During the day in the office, I am comfortable and can laugh and hold conversations with people.
As soon as I leave the office, I feel horrible and I cry myself home while driving.
maybe you need to hang out with people. it sounds like you feel lonely. :sunny:
Am I beyond messed up?
im not sure, but even if you were, you can always be helped, inshallah
[/QUOTE]Do I need a brick thrown at my head to snap out of it all? Am I so foolish? :cry:[/QUOTE]
absolutley not! what kind of question is that?! relax man... :sunny:

true believer
12-23-2007, 03:49 PM
maybe something happened in ur life before that might be causing u 2 cry so much and so worry its OK to cry. it is betta to let it out then hold the pain in. maybe u feel lonely? watever happens may allah guide and help u through dis.

aminahjaan
12-24-2007, 05:46 PM
It's not unusual to cry, if you're stressed out and stuff, but if theres something really bad, I would suggest seeing a professional or talking to a friend about how you feel to sort things out. Everyone cries, its a normal emotion, we're only human!

al_islam
12-24-2007, 07:07 PM
whats wrong with crying ?

edil
12-28-2007, 11:48 PM
may allah help u throughn this get medical help inshallah

czgibson
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Greetings,

What a shame to find someone so unhappy. Crying every day has to be a sign of depression. There are ways and means of coping with it, and a doctor is the person to ask. On the plus side, though, depression is often said to be a sign of intelligence, so there you go.

On a related but slightly stranger note, in 18th century Britain, a "Cult of Sensibility" arose, where grown men would meet and cry together in public as a fashionable way of showing how emotional and sensitive they were. They were faking it, though, and our original poster is for real.

I hope the original poster will see that there is nothing wrong with asking for help. There is a supportive community behind you. :)

Good luck.

Peace

------
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
:salamext:

Let it out, even if that means crying. But try and confide your problems in someone. You won't be burdening them with your problems, but you'll have a friend who is always there for you.

anonymous
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM

LOL Im thinking your a girl??? Well Its only NORMAL hun, Im the same myself. I laugh so much and when I start I cant stop until Im keeling over with pain and can hardly breathe Lol, and then next thing you know Im crying for NO REASON AT ALL, OR am looking for an excuse to cry and more or less asking for people to make me cry Lol, its weird, but I think its just to make everything balanced Lol :shade::D

anonymous
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Al Aqwa-
my opinion, not sure where i got it from but,

crying over things related to Dunyah is pointless, and i would say that should be stopped, or rather, be very limited...

crying out of fear/love for Allaah...that is definitely a good sign...and should be increased...

Allaahu'alim
MA-SHA-ALLAH!!! NICE 1 MAN!! Id rep ya millions if I could

truemuslim
01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
crying is perfectly normal... u dont feel ..the LIFE when u dont cry... crying of happiness... of sadness..or of laughter.. its all cool.

unless u crying bout a dead family member...that aint good...it sad..

Angelzz
01-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Crying is normal and advised to let out your emotions-- however im with Glo on this one --- You need to check if there is no underlying issues -- whether thats a physical or a emotional check up.

I get the impression however you already know what it is thats making you cry however you may be in denial about how it is affecting you -- whatever the case is --- you must speak to someone preferably a professional such as a doctor/GP/counsellor.

And dont think you are weak for seeing one either -- it is actually your duty as a muslim to look after your health.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.