/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What makes us who we are...

PersianPrince
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I was just having a think about things. Yes I am a deep thinker...Our life is a cycle of many cycles, and with many turning points. What actually makes us who we are and how we behave?

I think with me, there's a part of me deep down inside that wants to be recognised. I don't know why this is. ****... I am terrible. I will shut up and go to sleep (I'll follow-up tomorrow with my random non-sense. I wont mind if this post is deleted.).:X

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Talha777
12-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I think your problem is you need more company with pious Muslim brothers, if you start hanging around the kuffar too much you slowly lose your mind and think about all the nonsense they talk about and it has no benefit. Insha Allah spend your time with Muslim brothers studying the Quran and go to the Masjid often.

PersianPrince
12-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Oh no... please don't get me wrong readers... the 4 stars in my post are not swear words. I had not realised that this word from the dictionary was considered bad. My apologies.

PersianPrince
12-21-2007, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
I think your problem is you need more company with pious Muslim brothers, if you start hanging around the kuffar too much you slowly lose your mind and think about all the nonsense they talk about and it has no benefit. Insha Allah spend your time with Muslim brothers studying the Quran and go to the Masjid often.
Hmm... but this (I feel) has been something that I think I've been like since I was about 4 years old.. (or even younger). But anyhow, perhaps you're right. It's time to resolve.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Isambard
12-21-2007, 12:10 AM
How is asking existentialist questions "nonesense"? And how exactly is matters of philosophy both a 'problem' and a fault of hanging around kuffar?

Go read some books, the OPs question is a good one.

snakelegs
12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
since when is a muslim forbidden to think? :hiding:

Talha777
12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
How is asking existentialist questions "nonesense"? And how exactly is matters of philosophy both a 'problem' and a fault of hanging around kuffar?
This is why Muslims should avoid company of kuffar. The things they talk about have no value or benefit. Talking about philosophy is mostly a waste of time. The Philosophy of Islam is the best philosophy. Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) discouraged talking about worldly affairs and encouraged talking about religion. Therefore, most of our discussion with the non-Muslims should revolve around dawah, giving the message of Islam.

Jayda
12-21-2007, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersianPrince
I was just having a think about things. Yes I am a deep thinker...Our life is a cycle of many cycles, and with many turning points. What actually makes us who we are and how we behave?

I think with me, there's a part of me deep down inside that wants to be recognised. I don't know why this is. ****... I am terrible. I will shut up and go to sleep (I'll follow-up tomorrow with my random non-sense. I wont mind if this post is deleted.).:X
hola PersianPrince,

God makes us who we are... and then we get to discover that and choose to accept it or not. i think one of the most fascinating lives is the life of king saul. God meant for him to be the first king of israel and to be a great general... but God meant for david to be a greater king and a greater general... one day saul was returning home and heard some women singing 'saul has killed 1000 but david has killed 10000' and it made Saul jealous. he could not handle being who God wanted him to be, he wanted to be somebody else... it lead to him rejecting God and ultimately to his own destruction.

it kind of shows the struggle we have between being who God intended for us (and that is who we really are) and what society has convinced us we should want to be. it also shows the futility of trying to be wiser than God...

i think from your post you are experiencing some feeling of inadequacy... i think it is best for you to pray and relax and accept your strengths and weaknesses and pray for God to continue guiding you into who you are. God created a wonderful world for us to explore, starting with ourselves :)

que Dios te bendiga

Muezzin
12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
A mixture of nature (genes), nurture (company) and nachos (grace).

aamirsaab
12-21-2007, 05:47 PM
:sl:
There are a lot of things that make us who we are. Comments from others, our own actions and external situations all shape us as individuals.

Wanting to be recognised is part of being human - the recognition of your existence makes you feel accepted in the world and among other human beings. More importantly, though, it gives you hope - a crucial pillar of mankind. Afterall, without hope, what good is living in a hell-hole?

I congratulate the OP's thinking. By reflecting, one can achieve a lot - spiritually and physically.

chacha_jalebi
12-21-2007, 05:50 PM
deep thinkers lol either you understand things better or you look to deep into somethin when there isnt anythin there, so dont always look to deep into stuff bro

and what makes you what you are . . .

past experiences, personality, approach to life, erm good hygiene levels (:p now come on that does determine wheter your a mr stinky or not) also loads of stuff like upbringin, values, attitudes, views lol there is loads:D

Re.TiReD
12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersianPrince

Hmm...Freud would say the first five years of your life would determine what makes you the person you are today...But I have to disagree....I think it is your past and childhood experiences to an extent...but also the way in which you perceive things...weather you're prone to depression or a happy-go-lucky person.....or somebody like me who just grins for fun *grin*

Lol...what makes me me....my thoughts and feelings, the decisions I make in life....the path I choose for myself and the things that my Lord wants and gives to me.

*smile*

wilberhum
12-22-2007, 08:00 PM
This is why Muslims should avoid company of kuffar.
Isolation has been tried by many groups; it has always turned out to be disastrous.
The things they talk about have no value or benefit.
I guess that depends on your value system.
Talking about philosophy is mostly a waste of time.
Philosophy is the "examination of basic concepts". If you don' understand the basics, you really will never understand anything.
The Philosophy of Islam is the best philosophy.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But even if it is the best, it is not the only. That seams like choosing between food an water.
Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa salaam) discouraged talking about worldly affairs and encouraged talking about religion.
But here you are, you have many post in World Affairs. It seams that you do not take his advise.
Therefore, most of our discussion with the non-Muslims should revolve around dawah, giving the message of Islam.
Did you learn how to operate a computer from a Muslim?
As to the topic, in my opinion, we are the "Sum of our experiences".

That is the simplest answer to the most complex question. :?

Isambard
12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
"We are not what we remember of ourselves. We can undo only what others have already forgotten. Learn from your mistakes, so that one day you can repeat them prescisely"

Thats my position:D

Eric H
12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Greetings and peace be with you PersianPrince;

Here are some old quotes that challenge me to think
Watch Your Thoughts, For They Become Words,
Choose Your Words, For They Become Actions,
Understand Your Actions, For They Become Habits.
Study Your Habits, For They Become Your Character,
Develop Your Character, For It Becomes Your Destiny.
You may have some thoughts, and you might test them out by talking to someone. If they aren’t to hostile to your ideas you might put your words into action, you might repeat your actions until they become habits, then form your character and destiney.

If there is any truth in these words then it seems our destiney starts from our own thoughts.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.” –Charles Swindoll
There seems to be a certain amount of truth in this.

In the spirit of searching for our true destiny

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.