/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Going abroad to Learn about the deen

anonymous
12-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Assalamualaikum

I am a sister and I wish to study Islamic Studies. I have found a course in SOAS university, it is in London, however in the third year it is compulsory for the student to go to abroad either Damascus or Alexandria, as I am a sister how will I be able to go islamically.

Jazakhallah for reading my thread, may Allah (swt) guide us all and help us to become STRONG muslims, inshallah, ameen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
12-24-2007, 12:00 AM
*Thread approved*

adeeb
12-24-2007, 04:25 AM
:sl:

just go abroad and seek knowledge, but don't forget to go with your mahram such as your father or your brother...

coz the prophet has said, for women that want to go more that 3 nights must go with her mahram...:D

thinktank
12-26-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Assalamualaikum

I am a sister and I wish to study Islamic Studies. I have found a course in SOAS university, it is in London, however in the third year it is compulsory for the student to go to abroad either Damascus or Alexandria, as I am a sister how will I be able to go islamically.

Jazakhallah for reading my thread, may Allah (swt) guide us all and help us to become STRONG muslims, inshallah, ameen.
this a difficult predicament, i know some other people in this situation.

However id like to point out, the going abroad part in the course is NOT compulsory, they advise you to go but cannot make it compulsory on a course as not going would mean you fail it, and therefore they can't do that to you, hence its not and cant be compulsory.

the best solution is to go with a mahram, but that understandbly is a different challenge, i dont know of many people who have mahrams that can accompany them abroad usually for a year whilst they study.

i think a this is the time for a scholarly intervention, insha'allah seek the advice and counsel of a scholar who can advise you properly. Be aware the answer you want may not be given, from experience alot of scholars say you cant go because this knowledge isnt fardh on you, if it was its a different question. its a very trickey situation, may allah make it easy for you

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Barakah921
12-29-2007, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Assalamualaikum

i have studied a similar course at the university of manchester. arabic and islamic studies. at manchester university, thre are 2 programmes for this course. a 3 year course which doesnt require you to go abroad. and a 4 year course which requires you to go egypt for the 3rd year. the 1st 2 years of both the course is exactly the same.

i think SOAS has a similar programme structure? if you cant go abroad due to mahram issues and you really want to do the course, then id suggest you do a similar course at another university if SOAS doesnt provide.

alhamsulillah Allah swt has provided other avenues for us in seeking knowledge.

by the way the islamic studies they teach you at university isnt all that, i did it for 3 years and lets just say alhamdulillah i obtained my foundations in Islam through studying from Islamic organisations. at university they take an oriental approach and therefore will not teach you from quran and sunnah. they just look at the western approach to studying Islam.

alhamdulillah the arabic side of it was good, but its better to learn arabic through arabic and NOT english. if that makes sense.

Silver Pearl
12-29-2007, 03:11 PM
:wasalamex

I wouldn't encourage you to go Alexandria, having had the pleasure of going there, it is absolutely beautiful Masha'Allaah but not what you would expect from a muslim country. The men have wondering eyes (so to speak) and it is safer to go with somebody. It isn't easy being alone in a foreign country. Also 3miyyah is very much different from Fus'7a and if the university intends to teach you classical arabic it will not be that helpful when you get to Egypt. I don't know about Damascus. Also as Barakah mentioned it is best to be taught arabic in arabic otherwise you'll progress very slowly.

Insha'Allaah pray istikhara then tawakkal 3lal-llaah.

Maimunah
12-29-2007, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
:wasalamex

I wouldn't encourage you to go Alexandria, having had the pleasure of going there, it is absolutely beautiful Masha'Allaah but not what you would expect from a muslim country. The men have wondering eyes (so to speak) and it is safer to go with somebody. It isn't easy being alone in a foreign country. Also 3miyyah is very much different from Fus'7a and if the university intends to teach you classical arabic it will not be that helpful when you get to Egypt. I don't know about Damascus. Also as Barakah mentioned it is best to be taught arabic in arabic otherwise you'll progress very slowly.

Insha'Allaah pray istikhara then tawakkal 3lal-llaah.
subhanalah.

i would advice you to go wiv a mahram inshaAllah. just speak to a scholar and inshaAllah u will get an answer.

Barakah921
12-29-2007, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
The men have wondering eyes (so to speak).
isnt it strange you get alot of that in 'Muslim countries' and less in the west?

bangladesh, pakistan, dubia, saudi, egypt... seen it all there..

Makky
12-29-2007, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maimunah
subhanalah.

i would advice you to go wiv a mahram inshaAllah. just speak to a scholar and inshaAllah u will get an answer.

If she has a mahram then it's haram to travel alone.

chosen
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
i thought that women in islam were encouraged to excel in studies the same way men are..why should there be religious programs that a man can do and not a women..some women can not get relatives to travel with them..if it is okay with her family and okay with her and the school..why should there be any problem..

Ghira
01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Get married then go...

true believer
03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
manshalla, sis on studying da deen.
if u can, try to go to islamic countries
and u have to go wiz a mahram btw
may Allah reward u for all ur struggle and effort!

Umar001
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
If you are still waiting around instead of not doing the course then why not do a diploma? Better than nothing, right?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.