/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?!?!

Shukri
12-22-2007, 11:22 PM
"Before I forget, and in case I don't see you before then, on behalf of The Morning File, I want to wish you all "Mer- . . . Mer-r-r- . . ." I mean "Ha-. . . Hap- . . ." Uhh, let's play it safe, "A very good time during the upcoming Hol- . . . Holi- . . . during the upcoming time off from work as you celebrate major religious and/or pagan winter observances rooted in shopping, not that there's anything wrong with not celebrating them, although, by God, in America we suggest that you do."
-Post-Gazette
Once again, we are witnessing the annual moan about Christmas being spoilt and blaming minorities for the removal of Christian-themed decorations in city and town centres. The latest one is not to call it Christmas at all, because it might offend Muslims and other minorities. Let's get the record straight; this is utter rubbish. I do not know a single Muslim who has complained about non-Muslims celebrating Christmas. So who is doing all this moaning about Christmas if not Muslims or other minorities? Well, it's the usual well intentioned people in the local authorities putting political correctness before common sense and stamping out Christmas just in case it might cause offence. I might not celebrate Christmas . . . But this is still a Christian country and, if Christians want to celebrate it, that is their business, and not mine. I am not offended by Christmas celebrations.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
12-23-2007, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shukri
Let's get the record straight; this is utter rubbish. I do not know a single Muslim who has complained about non-Muslims celebrating Christmas.
As you say it's always the politically correct band-wagon jumpers rather than any minority groups that are responsible for such rubbish. The latest wheeze in the UK (Wales, somewhere, as I recall) was to call the holidays the 'Winterval'.

The only thing I would add is that the whole Christmas 'thing' is now so far removed from what it should be, a religious holiday, that I'm not even sure it matters any more. And I say that as a Buddhist, goodness knows what Christians must think. It's still a big 'family' time, which is good, but beyond that Christmas just seems one big excuse for people to get drunk and rack up credit card debt.

glo
12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I came across this article recently in another forum:

British Muslims say: Put Christ back in Christmas

Muslim leaders joined Britain's equality watchdog Monday in urging Britons to enjoy Christmas without worrying about offending non-Christians.

[...]
Full article here.

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
The Winterval does sound cool.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
The only thing I would add is that the whole Christmas 'thing' is now so far removed from what it should be, a religious holiday, that I'm not even sure it matters any more. And I say that as a Buddhist, goodness knows what Christians must think. It's still a big 'family' time, which is good, but beyond that Christmas just seems one big excuse for people to get drunk and rack up credit card debt.
I do agree with you, Trumble.

Deep in my heart I wish I could strip away all the hussle and bussle of Christmas, the secular influences, the pagan symbols, the consumerism, the drunken parties ... and just sit quietly, reflecting on the birth of Christ ...
But as it stand, Christmas is what it has become, so the best I can do is to remember it's true meaning (for me as a Christian), and not lose focus of that.

I heard that in the Netherlands the gift-giving is done earlier in December, on the feast of St Niklas - which then leaves Christmas itself as a religious festival, observed only by Christians.
I must admit, I like that idea ...

Anyway, can I wish you a merry Christmas, Trumble? :)

Peace

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I do agree with you, Trumble.

Deep in my heart I wish I could strip away all the hussle and bussle of Christmas, the secular influences, the pagan symbols, the consumerism, the drunken parties ... and just sit quietly, reflecting on the birth of Christ ...
But as it stand, Christmas is what it has become, so the best I can do is to remember it's true meaning (for me as a Christian), and not lose focus of that.

I heard that in the Netherlands the gift-giving is done earlier in December, on the feast of St Niklas - which then leave Christmas itself as a religious festival, observed only by Christians.
I must admit, I like that idea ...

Peace
But Tumble is a Budhism,

What was wrong with happy holidays?

I never say happy Eid or Merry Christmas

I just say have a nice Holiday...

Keltoi
12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
The simple reality is that there are two ideas of Christmas out there. The first being a celebration of the birth of Christ. The second being a secular economic boost for the economy. All that matters is that Christians observe the holiday for its religious significance. The rest of the planet can do what they want with their own time...and money.

glo
12-23-2007, 08:22 PM
You don't wish fellow Muslims Eid Mubarak, Umma Wasat?

glo
12-23-2007, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
But Tumble is a Budhism,
That's why I am asking Trumble if he would mind being wished a happy Christmas.

As Keltoi says, there are two kind of Christmas.
My husband is an atheist, but he would not be at all offended if you wished him a merry Christmas - because to him Christmas is a secular festival, which he too celebrates (although in a different way to me)

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 08:31 PM
You don't wish fellow Muslims Eid Mubarak, Umma Wasat?
Yeah ma rents mops n pops & siblings

All ma mates are Non-Muslim, all are Christians buh half of them duno wah a church looks like, I think my most recent mates are into religion, one of them is on Li, but doesn't post,

So that's why I just say 'Have a nice Holiday' daa dee daa, Dun have a grudge against Eid or nutin, just lack of people to say it to,

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

Amadeus85
12-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Definitely Merry Christmas.

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Definitely Merry Christmas.
Whyyyyy?

Is happy Holidays offensive? Or do you just prefer Merry Christmas?

Shukri
12-23-2007, 09:15 PM
I think that it depends on your intentions when you say to a person no matter what religion they are "Merry Christmas". I are telling that person merry Christmas b/c you want to rub it in their face what you believe and they should too. Or are you saying merry Christmas b/c it is what you celebrate and your sharing your beliefs in a mindful manner.

Keltoi
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Personally, if I'm talking to people that I know are Christians, I will say "Merry Christsmas". If I'm at the work place or in a situation where the religious beliefs of a person is unknown, I will say "Happy Holidays". 9 times out of 10 it doesn't even matter...most people aren't uptight enough to be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas".

Trumble
12-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Of course you can! There is no real religious implication in that when said to a non-Christian, and I wouldn't take offence even if there was. And of course, the same to you and yours, and everyone here who understands the spirit in which such good wishes are offered. :)

north_malaysian
12-24-2007, 05:26 AM
In Malaysia, the Christmas greeting is:

سلامات هاري ناتال
Selamat Hari Natal

adeeb
12-24-2007, 09:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
In Malaysia, the Christmas greeting is:

سلامات هاري ناتال
Selamat Hari Natal
the same in Indonesia,

but i don't think i will say it to my friends...

hehe

YusufNoor
12-24-2007, 06:00 PM
:sl:

i don't know, but i did get this email today:

To All My Democrat Friends:
Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To All My Republican Friends:
Merry Christmas and a
Happy New Year!
:peace:

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.