/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to give as a gift?

glo
12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi all

I seem to be writing these kind of threads regularly at Christmas and Eid.

Our Muslim neighbours just brought us a Christmas gift and card.

Those of you who have been around for a while might remember that it was this family who caused me to find out more about Islam in the first place ... because I felt so humbled when they gave us a Christmas present 2 years ago.

Ever since then we have exchanged gifts at Christmas and Eid.

And - as always - I am wondering what gift may be appropriate to give.
My son suggests a nice candle. What do you think about that?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey,

A candle seems like a good idea :thumbs_up but remember its the thought that counts

mariam.
12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I think the BOOKs are the most wonderful gift .. at least on my behalf :okay:

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi all

I seem to be writing these kind of threads regularly at Christmas and Eid.

Our Muslim neighbours just brought us a Christmas gift and card.

Those of you who have been around for a while might remember that it was this family who caused me to find out more about Islam in the first place ... because I felt so humbled when they gave us a Christmas present 2 years ago.

Ever since then we have exchanged gifts at Christmas and Eid.

And - as always - I am wondering what gift may be appropriate to give.
My son suggests a nice candle. What do you think about that?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you. :)
That sounds lovely!

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
12-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks, you three. :)

Mariam, books are a good idea, but I don't feel I know the family well enough to give books (Books are somewhat more personal)
Besides, I don't think they speak much English, and books in Urdu may not so easy to come by in a hurry ...

In the previous two years I gave them some home-baked things. I just wanted to give something else for a change ...

Any other thoughts?

Pk_#2
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Mariam, books are a good idea, but I don't feel I know the family well enough to give books (Books are somewhat more personal)
Besides, I don't think they speak much English, and books in Urdu may not so easy to come by in a hurry ...

In the previous two years I gave them some home-baked things. I just wanted to give something else for a change ...

Any other thoughts?
Material things are really.. (hmm)

Something from the heart always goes a long way, even if it's just a few words, go and have a chat with them, obviously if they are busy you shouldn't

I duno, Peace.

gladTidings
12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I think candles are great for a gift idea, you can get allsorts colours, shapes and sizes, great for use as just ornaments (like the really pretty ones that you dont want to use) or the scented ones. I have coffee ones with actual coffee grains in them, vanilla and cinnaman; quite a powerful collection. I also received a gift with lavender, rose, sandlewood and green tea incense sticks with this clay holder. Candles and incense sticks... very romantic hmm lol.

Anyway another suggestion is an indoor plant, theres plenty of festive ones at the moment. Maybe with some chocolates or you could go all the way and get them some asian sweets, afew ghulab jamuns would certainly impress them :P

I myself love buying gifts and usually get it right Alhamdullilah. I also agree that books are usually personal unless its a gardening book and maybe a recipe book (If you know of their hobbies).

Anyway good luck searching x

mariam.
12-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Any other thoughts?
mmm, If they have a children .. you can present them a family game like scrabble or some thing, I think this could be a nice gift for the whole family.

my mum present me one this Eid :)

muslim1
12-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes I agree with Umma Wasat. The best thing you can offer is the thing you feel it is coming from your heart, whatever it is. :smile:

Things coming from heart goes directly to heart. :smile::peace:

chacha_jalebi
12-23-2007, 11:04 PM
if your really look to splash out the money then anyone would love a ps3:D

Ali.
12-23-2007, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
if your really look to splash out the money then anyone would love a ps3:D
PS3 LOL! :okay:

Hmm..I dunno. Candle sounds good though, as mentioned above. :thumbs_up

truemuslim
12-23-2007, 11:25 PM
nah if they got kids juss gettem like a hmm.... x....box....360?...

oooorrrr...not as good...

wii?

if dats too expensive juss buy 'em like a ...hmmm....juss a sec....

starbury shoes? they are amazing...

or...

i nice decoration thingy...?

ignore me...

glo
12-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Now now, don't get carried away!
I am not rich, you know!! :coolious:

truemuslim
12-24-2007, 12:25 AM
^^^ u gotta grill... not rich...

Keltoi
12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Perhaps some form of gift basket? With fruits and other goodies stuffed inside? I don't know, that was always my inclination when I wasn't sure what gift to get.

truemuslim
12-24-2007, 12:53 AM

^^ i think thats pretty...

even better this...

ya know one of these from jcpenney or somthing ^^ or these...

if u aint that rich and u wanna get a candle get one thats a bit pretty... like this:

or

still not that rich ?

still dont like...?...

then we going cheap...

thanks

truemuslim
12-24-2007, 01:04 AM
oh if ya can't afford that kit-kat you know the emergancy thing...:

glo
12-24-2007, 07:20 AM
LOL. True muslim, your posts really made me laugh!! :D

I love the round carved candle holder!
Can I order it from you now and have it delivered to my house this afternoon?
:happy:

I am off now. It is 7.20 in the morning, and my son and I are going for a walk to watch the sun rise.

Malaikah
12-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi Glo,

if I remember correctly your neightbours are two women and some kids, right?

How about nice set of plates or something? If they are anything like my mum they will be very happy with that lol.

aminahjaan
12-24-2007, 07:38 AM
I would want perfume or something or a book, orr.....clothes. That's what I would want.

glo
12-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, we stuck with the original plan an bought a pretty candle in a candle holder.
After all, it was my son's idea, and I wanted him to feel he had a part in this.

Thanks for all your suggestions though. :)

north_malaysian
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Both my younger sisters love those aromatherapic candles... I think it's a nice gift.

Happy Holidays...

truemuslim
01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
LOL. True muslim, your posts really made me laugh!! :D

I love the round carved candle holder!
Can I order it from you now and have it delivered to my house this afternoon?
:happy:

I am off now. It is 7.20 in the morning, and my son and I are going for a walk to watch the sun rise.

sorry i wake up in the afternooon...lol.... it mite be late..catch it in the afternoon... lol...

oh sorry we out...

btw there are some free gifts worth any gift... hehe...

1. Hug
2. Hi's
3. umm...
4. juss a sec i really honestly cant think of anymore...wait...
5. um...um...yo yo?..hehe...juss look in the dumpster..im sure u'll find somthin....lol jk...ew...ew...ewwww...

juss....look at it...

isnt is beautiful??

i kno...
lovely
white
wireless controllers
LIIIIIVVVE!!!!
owning people...being the best....shooting....oh god i juss convinced my self...grrr.... well i gotta go..honesly...to play...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.