/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim scholars send rare Christmas greetings

Muslim Knight
12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
The Star

PARIS (Reuters) - Leading Muslim scholars have addressed warm Christmas greetings to Christians around the world, a message notable both for what it said and the fact that it was sent at all.
The greetings, sent by a group of 138 Sunni, Shi'ite, Sufi and other scholars who recently proposed a dialogue with Christian leaders, called for peace on earth and thanked church leaders who have responded positively to their invitation.

The message, as the dialogue proposal made in October, was unprecedented because there has not been until now such a large group of Islamic scholars that could draft a common letter.

Islam is a decentralised faith, with no pope or archbishop who can speak for believers as a group. While individual Muslim clerics have exchanged holiday greetings with Christians in the past, nothing on this scale has been possible before.

"Al-Salaamu Aleikum, Peace be upon you, Pax Vobiscum," the greetings letter began in Arabic, English and Latin. The text is available on the group's Web site www.acommonword.com.

It noted that Christmas came just after the Muslim haj pilgrimage to Mecca and the Feast of Sacrifice (Eid al Adha) recalling how the Prophet Abraham almost sacrificed his son.

"God's refusal to let Abraham sacrifice his son ... is to this day a divine warrant and a most powerful social lesson for all followers of the Abrahamic faiths, to ever do their utmost to save, uphold and treasure every human life and especially the lives of every single child," it said.
"May the coming year be one in which the sanctity and dignity of human life is upheld by all," it added. "May it be a year of humble repentance before God and mutual forgiveness within and between communities."
PLANS FOR DIALOGUE

The conciliatory tone echoed that of the October appeal, which said Muslims and Christians should hold a serious dialogue on the basis of their shared commandments to love God and love one's neighbour.
The group, linked to an Islamic research institute headed by Jordanian Prince Ghazi bin Mohammed bin Talal, wants a serious dialogue between Christian and Muslim theologians to help bridge a gulf in understanding between the religions.

It began in reaction to Pope Benedict's 2006 Regensburg lecture, taken to imply Islam was violent and irrational. The Muslims first corrected what they said was his misunderstanding of their faith and then proposed a dialogue with all Christian leaders.
Most Christian churches have responded positively. In an letter to the Vatican, Prince Ghazi has proposed sending a few Muslim scholars to Rome in February or March for initial talks with the world's largest Christian church.

The scholars also plan to meet Christian leaders at several conferences coming up next year to launch the long-term dialogue.

Some Catholic officials have expressed scepticism about the idea, saying differences between the two faiths were too great for any real dialogue, but Prince Ghazi urged them to seek agreement where they could for the sake of the common good.

"We, like you, also consider complete theological agreement between Christians and Muslims inherently not possible by definition, but still wish to seek and promote a common stance and cooperation based on what we do agree on," he wrote in the letter made available to Reuters.

SOURCE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cognescenti
12-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Cool..I didn't know that was what Eid al Adha meant.

I am generally in favor of peace. Merry Christmas...I am off to exchange some cool gifts. :thankyou:

aadil77
12-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I love to hear about stuff like this, finally some peace greatings between muslim scholars and christian popes

guyabano
12-25-2007, 07:51 PM
It's nice to hear news like that !

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
12-25-2007, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I love to hear about stuff like this, finally some peace greatings between muslim scholars and christian popes
'Pope' is a singular, but that apart, what you said!

MartyrX
12-26-2007, 10:58 PM
We need a little more communication and understanding amongst each other. I'm glad that people are at least trying to get along.

adeeb
12-27-2007, 02:49 PM
i dont know why i disagree with this article...

the scholar shouldn't do that... say marry xmas????!!! how with the people, if the scholar do 'haram' thing... and jesus never born on 25 of december and why we believe and agree with this kind of lie...

Ya Allah, show us the right path, and keep us on it forever...

Cognescenti
12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
i dont know why i disagree with this article...

the scholar shouldn't do that... say marry xmas????!!! how with the people, if the scholar do 'haram' thing... and jesus never born on 25 of december and why we believe and agree with this kind of lie...

Ya Allah, show us the right path, and keep us on it forever...
Perhaps because they are trying to keep millions of people from killing each over stupid things like dates on a calender.

glo
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Thank you for this thread, Muslim Knight. I have only just come across it.:)

I agree with most previous posters.
Interfaith relationships are often very delicate these days, and every effort (especially by leaders and those with influence and power) to foster positive relationships have to be something to be grateful for!

Peace and Goodwill to all.

adeeb
12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Perhaps because they are trying to keep millions of people from killing each over stupid things like dates on a calender.
there are many ways to avoid killing each other... why we must say greeting on your/their holiday??

we are muslim, the only right religion and faith TODAY, we must hate other religion that do shirk, we have to hate what they do in 25 of december, coz Allah never tells us have holiday on that day... but we need to give tolerance by not disturbing christian that celebrate xmas and i think that enough... not more than that...

peace :shade:

Cognescenti
12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
there are many ways to avoid killing each other... why we must say greeting on your/their holiday??

we are muslim, the only right religion and faith TODAY, we must hate other religion that do shirk, we have to hate what they do in 25 of december, coz Allah never tells us have holiday on that day... but we need to give tolerance by not disturbing christian that celebrate xmas and i think that enough... not more than that...

Are you commanded to "hate"? Who told you that, xllah?

I am not sure "hate" and "tolerance" belong in the same sentence. Merry Christmas to you, pal.

MartyrX
12-28-2007, 06:38 PM
We are not taught to hate anyone. I see nothing wrong with reaching out to people in good faith if it helps foster peace something this world needs right now.

Uthman
12-29-2007, 08:24 AM
:sl:

Great to hear! May Allah reward them for their good intentions.

:w:

Jayda
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
'Pope' is a singular, but that apart, what you said!
hola,

that's not actually so... theoretically any of the five patriarchs may accurately use the terms 'pope' 'holy father' or 'patriarch' ... Pope Shenouda III, successor of St. Mark uses the term for his office.

que Dios te bendiga

Jayda
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM

hola adeeb,

by any chance are you the same adeeb from the Non Christian Religions subforum from ChristianForums?

que Dios te bendiga

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.