/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women's brains are smaller

Talha777
12-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Assalamu alaikum.

I always used to wander why often women are less intelligent than men. Now I was reading in a magazine (or newspaper?) article that their brains are smaller. On average a man's brain weighs 1.25 kg while woman's brain is at most 100 grams or less. Obviously this is a modern discovery, but isn't it interesting our Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam) knew women are less intelligent 1400 years ago. He never cracked open any skulls and measured their brains, how did he know unless Allah told him?

Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam) said:
"I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you (women)."
(Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
12-26-2007, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Assalamu alaikum.

I always used to wander why often women are less intelligent than men. Now I was reading in a magazine (or newspaper?) article that their brains are smaller. On average a man's brain weighs 1.25 kg while woman's brain is at most 100 grams or less. Obviously this is a modern discovery, but isn't it interesting our Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam) knew women are less intelligent 1400 years ago. He never cracked open any skulls and measured their brains, how did he know unless Allah told him?

Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam) said:
"I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you (women)."
(Sahih Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301)
More of you misogynistic attitudes?

I assume you still want to slap women who do not cover to your standard.

Hopefully some good Muslims will attack these messages of hate and intolerance.

Talha777
12-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Hopefully some good Muslims will attack these messages of hate and intolerance.
This is not a message of hate, this is what our Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam) said and what modern science has discovered to be true. No "good" Muslim will attack the words of Prophet Muhammad (alaihi salatu wa salam), so don't hold your breath.

wilberhum
12-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Talha666,
You just look for something to justify your misogynistic attitudes.

Did some girl in junior high smite you?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Talha777
12-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Stay on topic please. Otherwise the admins will reign you in, insha Allah. I didn't make this thread to bash women, but to give a great proof of Islam.

wilberhum
12-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Stay on topic please. Otherwise the admins will reign you in, insha Allah. I didn't make this thread to bash women, but to give a great proof of Islam.
But you see, if they delete my messages, they will surly delete your misogamist statements. :D

Malaikah
12-26-2007, 05:38 AM
:sl:

But women are smaller than men generally anyway! My dad was just laughing at how small my hands are compared to his- if his whole body is bigger than mine I would expect his brain to be too.

Unless the article said that the size of a brain is linked to intellect I don't think your conclusion is valid.

Talha777
12-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Size of brain is indeed related to intellect. That's why squirrels aren't as intelligent as humans. Now some of you might say, what about elephants and huge animals like that? You'll be surprised to know they have tiny brains, much smaller than ours.

wilberhum
12-26-2007, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

But women are smaller than men generally anyway! My dad was just laughing at how small my hands are compared to his- if his whole body is bigger than mine I would expect his brain to be to.

Unless the article said that the size of a brain is linked to intellect I don't think your conclusion is valid.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't break Talha's bubble.

He believes he is superior based on his gender.

Malaikah
12-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Do you have scientific proof for that?

Hate to sound arrogant but I'm much smarter than heaps of men who are much larger than me physically and presumable have bigger brains.

Talha777
12-26-2007, 05:47 AM
I can understand why wilberhum is trying to derail my thread, but I dont know why our muslim sister malaikah is helping him.

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Talha666,
You just look for something to justify your misogynistic attitudes.

Did some girl in junior high smite you?

its talha777... i know u purposly did that...its one of those obvious things...btw y u always go ad act all meanish to all that islamic threads? anyway..:w:

But women are smaller than men generally anyway! My dad was just laughing at how small my hands are compared to his- if his whole body is bigger than mine I would expect his brain to be too.

..... hmmm

I can understand why wilberhum is trying to derail my thread, but I dont know why our muslim sister malaikah is helping him.

true...

im not tho... i don't mind that my brain is smaller than urs...doesnt mean u kno more... prolly yes tho cuz u older but still i know more than wilberhum... he dont know islam... meaning my brain is bigger than his...no off.... im juss a bit offended... i just dont mind tho... cuz im "truemuslim" lol:w:

H@fiz Aziz
12-26-2007, 05:53 AM
men might have a larger brain then women but just know women are smarter then us cause we dont pay attention anymore talha. I mean most of us boys dont admit it.

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 05:56 AM
^^^ we muslims are all the same...

mostly...

syilla
12-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Please don't try to translate a hadith literally if you are not a scholar

Malaikah
12-26-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm asking you to prove your claim that larger brains makes a person more intellegant. I don't understand how this is derailing your thread. This is the claim you made, this is the whole point of the thread.

Did the article you read say that larger brains makes a person smarter? Or are you just assuming this?

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I'm asking you to prove your claim that larger brains makes a person more intellegant. I don't understand how this is derailing your thread. This is the claim you made, this is the whole point of the thread.

Did the article you read say that larger brains makes a person smarter? Or are you just assuming this?

Who cares...we all know that it dont matter how big u brain is or how small... we all smart...

rite?

syilla
12-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Prophet (pbuh) informed us that the woman is "Deficient in her intelligence." 1 , he did not meant it to be a belittlement of women, however what he was illustrating to us is how to deal with a woman. The most miserable man is the one who whenever a dispute occurs between him and his wife he says to her, "let's leave off emotions and deal with the issue based on intelligence." What does it mean that she is "Deficient in her intelligence?" That is, her intelligence is deficient in comparison to her emotions, for her emotions are very strong. So you men are deficient in emotions. You have full intellect because intelligence is something that is relative. The woman is deficient in her intelligence and the man is deficient in his emotions. So Allaah created males with faculties that suits his being and He created females with faculties that suits her nature. This is why both spouses would not obtain amicability until they both return to the deen of Allaah, and that they both know their rights in the deen of Allaah.
taken from

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...-marriage.html

after this...there will be 'ibn' brothers warned the others for opening this kind of thread... :X

wilberhum
12-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Good, you understand that I find misogamy disgusting.

What makes you think Malaikah is helping me?
She asks you to justify your statements.

Admittedly you facts are true, but your conclusions are wrong.

Malaikah
12-26-2007, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
Who cares...we all know that it dont matter how big u brain is or how small... we all smart...

I am personally interested to know whether the size of a persons brain makes them smarter or not. Talha made the claim, I want to know if he is just saying it or if this is scientifically established.

It is a point of interest to me.

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 06:07 AM

I am personally interested to know whether the size of a persons brain makes them smarter or not. Talha made the claim, I want to know if he is just saying it or if this is scientifically established.

It is a point of interest to me.
oh look what syilla wrote

Woodrow
12-26-2007, 06:08 AM
I can see the intent of the thread was to prove the basis for a hadith. but, being a retired Physiological Psychologists I can assure you brain size is not a good indicator of intelligence. One of the most severe forms of retardation Hydrocephalus is indicated by an immense brain size. there are other factors besides brain size that determine intelligence. Some people with genius IQs have had smaller than average size brains.

Not an accurate evidence to use as verification for the truth of that hadith.

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 06:10 AM
oh i just saw woodrow as the last one to post and had to see it lol... i always makes the thread...hmm....

bright

جوري
12-26-2007, 06:12 AM
:sl: Akhi.. 'naqisat 3aql wdeen doesn't translate to 'intelligence', it implies rationality i.e they are more emotional.. I'd go into this more but it is late and I am tired..
women and men have different brain composition.. and there are several books on that.. here are a couple

http://books.google.com/books?id=iHL...&ie=ISO-8859-1

Why are women more verbal than men? Why do women remember details of fights that men can't remember at all? Why do women tend to form deeper bonds with their female friends than men do with their male counterparts? These and other questions have stumped both sexes throughout the ages. Now, pioneering neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, M.D., brings together the latest findings to show how the unique structure of the female brain determines how women think, what they value, how they communicate, and who they love. While doing research as a medical student at Yale and then as a resident and faculty member at Harvard, Louann Brizendine discovered that almost all of the clinical data in existence on neurology, psychology, and neurobiology focused exclusively on males. In response to the overwhelming need for information on the female mind, Brizendine established the first clinic in the country to study and treat women's brain function. In "The Female Brain," Dr. Brizendine distills all her findings and the latest information from the scientific community in a highly accessible book that educates women about their unique brain/body/behavior. The result: women will come away from this book knowing that they have a lean, mean, communicating machine. Men will develop a serious case of brain envy.
here is another one
The Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male ISBN 0713996714

:w:

truemuslim
12-26-2007, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:sl: Akhi.. 'naqisat 3aql wdeen doesn't translate to 'intelligence', it implies rationality i.e they are more emotional.. I'd go into this more but it is late and I am tired..
women and men have different brain composition.. and there are several books on that.. here are a couple

http://books.google.com/books?id=iHL...&ie=ISO-8859-1

here is another one
The Essential Difference: Men, Women and the Extreme Male ISBN 0713996714

thats cool...

btw whats an ambrosia? please don't tell me to look it up...i hate dictionaries...

they so... boring....too many words....definitions....schoolish....AAAAAAHHHH

anyway...thanks:w:

Isambard
12-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Talha, I think you just proved your conclusion false by the fact that you believe in it.

As Woodrow mentioned, larger brains are poor indicators of intelligence. Whales have bigger brains than humans, yet I doubt anyone would claim them to be smarter.

جوري
12-26-2007, 06:15 AM
zaka'a in Arabic means intelligence by the way not 3aql.. when you say to someone 3a'qlak tar, means have you lost your mind.. usually said not to denote intelligence rather rational..

Allah knows best

جوري
12-26-2007, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
thats cool...

btw whats an ambrosia? please don't tell me to look it up...i hate dictionaries...

they so... boring....too many words....definitions....schoolish....AAAAAAHHHH

anyway...thanks:w:

it has many meanings you pick the one you like :okay:
1-A mixture of nectar and pollen prepared by worker bees

2- Any of numerous chiefly North American weedy plants constituting the genus Ambrosia that produce highly allergenic pollen responsible for much hay fever and asthma
3-Fruit dessert made of oranges and bananas with shredded coconut

4-(classical mythology) the food and drink of the gods; mortals who ate it became immortal

Muslim Knight
12-26-2007, 07:29 AM
I've read somewhere that bigger brains don't necessarily mean more intelligence. Bigger brain means larger distance for electrical impulses in the brain to travel between synapses, slowing down intra-brain communications. It could probably well mean that the thought processes or other processes slowed down.

On the side note, lately I've been reading De Bono and he says while being slow in making decisions doesn't necessarily constitute lesser intelligence, it does indicate more thought-giving processes involved prior to responding to stimuli.

Bah! I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about. Just some mild technobable by an engineering student attempting to understand the process of thinking.

In addition to that, I've also read that a woman's brain is slightly lighter (1.2 kg) than that of a man's (1.4 kg). But I've seen women doing smarter things than men, like scoring in academics.

snakelegs
12-26-2007, 07:37 AM
talha,
i suggest you do a bit more research before you post stuff like this. it makes a nifty little meal for those who insist that islam is misogynistic.

sapphirine
12-26-2007, 07:48 AM
I cannot believe that someone would even have the nerve to go ahead and post something like this - men being more intelligent than women is a joke!
Granted, men have better visuospatial skills (but I wonder why they're terrible with a map? at least a woman would get out and ask for directions! :) ) However, women have the upper hand when it comes to multitasking and verbal skills all the wonderful qualities to be a leader such as a president *grins*
And YES, women are more in touch with their emotions but what's wrong with that?? It's really a product of society and culture - women in certain cultures let loose their emotions while women of another culture do not.
I'm into neuropsychology but i'm not going to create a literature for you guys, there's plenty of readings that talha777 could benefit from if he would actually take the time to do so.
Oh.. by the way the person with the highest IQ ever recorded is in fact, a woman! Marilyn vos savant has an higher IQ than even stephen hawking. But IQs mean nothing, really. Just a tidbit of fun facts.

Muezzin
12-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Men tend to work more along the lines of logic, whereas women tend to work more along the lines of emotion.

Nothing really indicates that one gender is more intelligent than the other. And hey, British school league tables show that girls consistently perform better than boys academically. Don't know about the rest of the world. Maybe most of the boys in the UK are just layabouts as opposed to idiots...

H@fiz Aziz
12-27-2007, 04:25 AM
same with us =[]

Whatsthepoint
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
IMHO women can be just as smart or even smarter than men. There haven't been as many female scientists as their male counterparts but this is mostly because women were not provided the same education as men, they were expected to stay at home and raise the children etc. It remains so in many parts of the world, which is very sad.

nocturne
12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
In that case, dont whales and elephant have bigger brain than us? and i assume the gorillas have brains similar size to us...

wilberhum
12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
In that case, dont whales and elephant have bigger brain than us? and i assume the gorillas have brains similar size to us...
Brain size alone is not what is important. What is important is average brain size to average body size.

So you can separate the bigotry from reality by simply realizing that the average male body size is bigger than the average female body size.

~Taalibah~
12-27-2007, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Men tend to work more along the lines of logic, whereas women tend to work more along the lines of emotion.

Nothing really indicates that one gender is more intelligent than the other. And hey, British school league tables show that girls consistently perform better than boys academically. Don't know about the rest of the world. Maybe most of the boys in the UK are just layabouts as opposed to idiots...
Not lazy? They can do just as well if they feel like, i think.

root
12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Mens brains on average are bigger than womens, woopee doo. However, the cortex that connects the left lobe of the brain with the right on average is bigger within females.

Thi thread is a joke, Mohammed liked female company and was often criticised to the way his many wives *****ed at him, but he respected women and womens rights

This thread is going nowhere......

Muezzin
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
It's not actually going anywhere, is it?

Plus there wasn't a reference to the newspaper or magazine article in question, or its assumptions and conclusions.

Plus it's just going round in circles...

I'm closing it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.