/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it haram to be an Artist or designer

Nájlá
12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
:sl:

this might be silly to some of u just like it did to be in the first place but at the end i started to think about it.

well i am a student and i am studing art(drawing) and textiles and when in future i want to be a artist(drawing) or a fashion designer and i got told by many muslims that it is haram to become a artist(drawing) or a fashion designer especially fashion designer i got told by many muslims around me its not haram to be a artist as long as i draw sensibly stuff and i also got told that a fashion desgner is completely haram.

can any1 give me advice and tell if it is haram or not
thankyou
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nájlá
12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
sorry mistakes in spelling i was writing too fast

thinktank
12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by najla93

this might be silly to some of u just like it did to be in the first place but at the end i started to think about it.

well i am a student and i am studing art(drawing) and textiles and when in future i want to be a artist(drawing) or a fashion designer and i got told by many muslims that it is haram to become a artist(drawing) or a fashion designer especially fashion designer i got told by many muslims around me its not haram to be a artist as long as i draw sensibly stuff and i also got told that a fashion desgner is completely haram.

can any1 give me advice and tell if it is haram or not
thankyou
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

i dont know the answer to this, but did they give any reasons why being a fashion desinger is haraam?

if thats the case what about all the clothes we wear? if designing them is haraam then wearing them should be too? all the jilbaabs, thawbs etc, the people who have made these have commited dhanb? sounds strange to me^o), i think being a scantily clad designer may be an issue with respect to haraam or halaal, but to say all fashion designing is haraam is dangerous, becuase labeling things haraam and halaal isnt just that simple. People should be aware that islamically its not proper for a person to make legal rulings and verdicts without having the proper qualifications and credentials, allahu alim.

- Qatada -
12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
:wasalamex

If your not drawing pictures of humans or animals - and living things, and the designs which you make don't go against Islamic teachings - then insha Allah it should be allowed..

Here's a sister who's designing clothes for Muslim women:

http://www.islamonline.net/english/A...rticle06.shtml

So insha Allah it should be allowed, so long as it doesn't go against what Islam teaches - for example the clothing should be modest etc. And Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

Sculpting with clay is one of the kinds of image-making, some of which is permissible and some is haraam. That which is haraam is that which shows images of animate beings, both humans and animals, because of the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which were narrated by Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: I heard Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever makes an image in this world will be commanded to breathe the soul into it on the Day of Resurrection, and he will not be able to do that.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (2112) and Muslim (2110).

As for that which is permissible, it is images of anything that does not have a soul, so it is permissible to sculpt images in clay of mosques, houses, trees and other inanimate objects.

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

The focus of the prohibition on image making is images of animate beings, whether they are sculpted or drawn on walls or fabric or paper, or they are woven, and whether they are drawn with a quill or pen or made with a machine, and whether the image is of the creature as it naturally appears or whether imagination comes into play and it is made smaller or larger, or made beautiful or distorted, or the skeleton inside is shown in the picture.

The reason for the prohibition is that what is represented is animate beings, even if they are imaginary images such as those that are drawn to represent ancient peoples such as the pharaohs and commanders and soldiers during the Crusades, or images of Jesus and Mary that are placed in churches, etc. This is because of the general meaning of the texts and because of the imitation of the creation of Allaah, and because it is a means that leads to shirk.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/696)
Source

Although this is more towards sculpting rather than drawing it shows what is permissble and what is not

Nájlá
12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
thank u all i started to understand a bit but does that mean that i cant draw people does that include cartoon people... what if i design wedding cloths or party cloths for womens????

gladTidings
12-28-2007, 06:48 PM
:sl: Sis,

I hope the brothers have given you an answer you were looking for inshAllah. My sister is an artist. If your interested, I can give you her website address, where she has posted up some of her work and you can contact her if you have any other questions. Let me know i'll pm you the details inshAllah. May Allah swt make you successful in your field. Ameen

Ws x

Nájlá
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
i dont know the answer to this, but did they give any reasons why being a fashion desinger is haraam?

nope they tried to explain it to me but really i didnt get it

Nájlá
12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
:sl: Sis,

I hope the brothers have given you an answer you were looking for inshAllah. My sister is an artist. If your interested, I can give you her website address, where she has posted up some of her work and you can contact her if you have any other questions. Let me know i'll pm you the details inshAllah. May Allah swt make you successful in your field. Ameen

Ws x
thank you and yes i would like to see your sisters art work so can you give me her website address and her email please but send me a private message for the email thank u again.
may allah swt protect u and guide all through ur life. ameen

gladTidings
12-28-2007, 08:14 PM

Sis you dont accept private messages.. would you like to change your settings? I dont want to put a link to her website on here.

Ws x

morate
12-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Can someone tell me where this leaves photography. I too am an artist and find some difficulty here knowing what is ok. I would like to turn my creativity toward calligraphy, as this seems acceptable. I have interest in many media though, and welcome guidance here.

-Elle-
12-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Here's a thread that talks about taking pictures;

http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/483...-pictures.html

Hopefully it will help you;

um,I think views differ on this(sorry if im wrong),and I remember reading that digital pictures are ok..

:w:

Nájlá
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl

Sis you dont accept private messages.. would you like to change your settings? I dont want to put a link to her website on here.

Ws x
settings done

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.