/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of music!?

aminahjaan
12-28-2007, 09:06 AM
:sl:I am aware that pretty much all music is haram. And I want to get rid of listening to it, my brothers listen to so much Quran and unfortunately, I don't listen to it as much as they do. I might sound reallly stupid, but music I guess kind of hits you right where you're feeling. Not like those stupid mainstream rap songs. But I don't want to make excuses when I know its wrong, :\ so any suggestions on how to just get rid of it? Thanks.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silver Pearl
12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
:wasalamex

Music is addictive, most of the music we are drawn to is because they reflect an aspect of our lives, whether it was something that happened to us in the past or whether its an issue still going on in your life. Music 'gets us' in short.

To be honest it does consume alot of time and you do get stuck in fantsy world when listening to music. The best thing you can do is busy yourself, if you have an urge to listen to music then put a nasheed on (without instruments). Then slowly move on to listening Qur'aan instead of those nasheed. It is easy for find music, so delete any files you have on your desktop or on iPod or MP3. Most importantly make dua and be patient.

islamiii
12-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Asalam alikum
here i want to share a personal exprience with u that i loved music . i got rid of it by listening nat. i think nothing is best more than praise of Allah and his last messenger .(SAW).

Muhammad
12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla
:sl:

:sl:I am aware that pretty much all music is haram. And I want to get rid of listening to it, my brothers listen to so much Quran and unfortunately, I don't listen to it as much as they do. I might sound reallly stupid, but music I guess kind of hits you right where you're feeling. Not like those stupid mainstream rap songs. But I don't want to make excuses when I know its wrong, :\ so any suggestions on how to just get rid of it? Thanks.
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Dear sister, you are to be commended for making this choice and already you have taken the first step towards this direction. Please have a look at some of the previous threads such as those I've listed below, to remind you why music is forbidden and see what others have had to say about giving up music:

http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/202...an-sunnah.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...me-anyway.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...-up-music.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...aam-islam.html

Do remember, that if you're out in the park, you'll be hearing music from birds and also the natural sounds.
Firstly, common sense and personal interpretation does not precede what Allaah (swt) has commanded us to do. Deriving Islamic rulings should be based upon knowledge and backed up with authentic evidences.

Regarding the statement quoted above, I would disagree. I think they are both completely different things. Music is not simply any sound that we hear, rather it is something that people produce. The sounds of nature and the sound of music affects a person in different ways and serve different purposes, so I can't see how they can be likened.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aminahjaan
12-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks all of you for this advice and stuff, I'm also asking, are clean versions of songs okay? Like lets say theyre referring to something haram but they bleep it out. EVEN though they bleep it out is it okay to listen to it because of what theyre hinting?

adeeb
12-30-2007, 03:21 AM
the best music ever is the revelation from our Lord...

the al - quran al karim... masha Allah...

but to be addicted to quran you need a process against the music...

may Allah help us to get rid of music and listen to quran, study it and do it...

Yanal
12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Well first of all throw your mp or whatever you have away. I don't have any music devices just a tape recorder and all my friends even muslims listen to music. You are right that it is addictive but try to think of nasheeds in music that will help.

aminahjaan
12-30-2007, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Well first of all throw your mp or whatever you have away. I don't have any music devices just a tape recorder and all my friends even muslims listen to music. You are right that it is addictive but try to think of nasheeds in music that will help.

I can't just throw my iPod away I love it :( But I guess I'll sell it on eBay. Any buyers? Nawh I'm kidding. May Allah help me get over this obsession::cry:

snakelegs
12-30-2007, 09:13 AM
i don't see why you have to get rid of your i-pod. i-pods don't make you listen to music.
you can use it to listen to qur'an recitations or nasheeds or lectures just as well as you can use it for music!

Soulja Girl
12-30-2007, 10:00 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't see why you have to get rid of your i-pod. i-pods don't make you listen to music.
you can use it to listen to qur'an recitations or nasheeds or lectures just as well as you can use it for music!
^Yah, you don't need to get rid of it, just use it for the better Sister. All you gotta do is delete all your Music and put some Quran recitations on it inshallah. :)

noorseeker
01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I am 90% of the way there, its so easy to listen to music, give all your cds away or better destroy them

anonymous
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla
I can't just throw my iPod away I love it :( But I guess I'll sell it on eBay. Any buyers? Nawh I'm kidding. May Allah help me get over this obsession::cry:
I think I am OBSESSED too. LITERALLY. First thing I do every day is listen to music. Last thing I do is listen to music. I just cant stay away. :cry::thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do Tried nasheeds, didnt listen to music for like a whole year- if you would have asked me in that year 'have you heard so n so song' I would have been like 'huh', I was so good, dont know what happened :embarrass. It is obsessive.

PersianPrince
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
:sl: everyone,

I just wanted to add that we should all bare in mind about the definition of music. Music isn't necessarily a collection of artificially generated noises by a collection of bags of 90% water (human beings).

Music also includes (but not limited to) birds singing, the sound of leaves in the wind, rain etc. Does this mean that these gifts to our planet are haraam?

My apologies for refering to humans as "bags of 90% water" above. Perhaps I had a certain bunch of singers in mind who are singing things that are not so good for younger people.

Music is not haraam unless it has haraam connotations/gestures. Excessive obsession to music could possibly be classed as haraam if it is taking you away from your duties as a muslim.

AnonymousPoster
01-09-2008, 12:05 AM

Masha'Allaah, you've gotten excellent advice on how to stop listening.

As was said before, music consumes a lot of time. We ought not to waste our lives away in listening to something that brings us no benefit here or in the Hereafter. Allaah says: "...Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart - about all those [one] will be questioned." [17:36]. So prepare your ears for that questioning by listening to something that will bring about a good result. Turn towards the Qur'an, and listen to it; one cannot get bored of it as happens with music and songs. Ibn Mas`ud said, “The love of the Quran and the love of music cannot combine in the heart of a believer.

I think one thing that helped me stop a few years ago was understanding its effect on the human heart. I remember reading a quote from one of the early muslims regarding singing, and an explanation by another scholar on it. It was the final thing that finally prompted me to make that decision to delete all the music files on my computer and to empty my iPod of it. Perhaps it can help you in the same way, Insha'Allaah.

'Abdullah b. Mas'ûd – Allah be pleased with him – said:
"Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifâq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs."
Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.2 p469, and Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrâ Vol. 52 p231.

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawzîyah – Allah have mercy on him – said in Madârij Al-Sâlikîn, Vol.1 p487:
"These are the words of someone who fully understood singing and its effects, for no one regularly sings or listens to song except that his heart falls into nifâq without him realizing. If such a person understood the reality of nifâq and its end he would see it in his own heart. Never do the love of song and the love of Qur`ân come together in a person's heart except that one expels the other. I and others have witnessed how heavy the Qur`ân feels to singers and song-listeners; how they coil when it is recited and how they get angry with a reciter when he recites too long for them (in prayer etc); and how their hearts do not benefit from what he recites: they are not moved to do anything by it. But when the Qur`ân of Shay tân comes, lâ ilâha illallâh! How they lower their voices and settle down! How their hearts feel at peace and how the crying and emotions start, how moved they are inwardly and outwardly and spend on clothing and perfume and staying up hoping for a long night ahead. If this is not nifâq then it is certainly the way to it and its foundation."
So make the final move and delete the songs off of your computers and iPod, every single song - and fill your iPod with recitations of the Qur'an and start listening to it everyday. Very soon you'll never want to return to music. It'll take a little patience, and it'll work Insha'Allaah.

ikaj
01-09-2008, 12:13 AM
I think it happens by the grace of Allah. I use to listen to music too..
I have like 8000 songs on my laptop but I for some reason can't listen to music anymore. Maybe I just grew out of it ..i'm not sure..but i just don't have the patience for it...

aminahjaan
01-10-2008, 06:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
I think I am OBSESSED too. LITERALLY. First thing I do every day is listen to music. Last thing I do is listen to music. I just cant stay away. :cry::thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do:thumbs_do Tried nasheeds, didnt listen to music for like a whole year- if you would have asked me in that year 'have you heard so n so song' I would have been like 'huh', I was so good, dont know what happened :embarrass. It is obsessive.
I can totally relate to you, because once you're in it it's hard to get out. Idk why, like shaytan puts a trans on you or something like that. Anyways, I try to stop but I just cant!

praying4jannah
01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
salaam.. i just thought id add to this question.. as i was also once in ur situation. im 17 years old.. and at this age.. music can b veryyyy influentual.. every1 is talking about it.. "ahh did u hear the new song out by so and so" or "omg did u c the new blah blah's video" whereever u go.. some1 will be siging a song.. or playing it on the phone.. and without notiving u'l either join in.. or start bopping your head to it. lol i was like this about 3 months ago.. i use to be literally addicted to music.. MTV use to be my favourite channel.. i use to know the lyrics to like 80% of the songs... BUT.. this all stopped when i started gaining knowledge on islam.. and also started practicing it properly.. mashallah i have started praying.. and also started wearing the hijab.. at this stage though i still was listening to music.. and found nothing wrong with it.. untill... i started watchin music videos and many thoughts would run through my head .. even to a point where it was close to influencing me to take off my hijab as i wished to look as nice as the people in these videos. after this i realised.. that it was influencing me more then i realised.. and actually did have a negitive effect on me.. esp in the case of my faith being weakend, so after this i started listenin to quran, and nasheeds.. and found myself at peace. i know your probably thinking.. ahh ive tried that and it dont have the same effect on me as music does.. and the only thing i can say to that is.. do more research on music.. listen 2 lectures on it.. and u'l start realising that everything there saying about it is true. it does corrupt your mind even without you realising. if you need any help with trying to stop listening to it.. then id b more than happy to help.. as i was once in ur position and know exactly how hard it is.. hope ive been of some help. salaam x

aminahjaan
01-12-2008, 07:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by praying4jannah
salaam.. i just thought id add to this question.. as i was also once in ur situation. im 17 years old.. and at this age.. music can b veryyyy influentual.. every1 is talking about it.. "ahh did u hear the new song out by so and so" or "omg did u c the new blah blah's video" whereever u go.. some1 will be siging a song.. or playing it on the phone.. and without notiving u'l either join in.. or start bopping your head to it. lol i was like this about 3 months ago.. i use to be literally addicted to music.. MTV use to be my favourite channel.. i use to know the lyrics to like 80% of the songs... BUT.. this all stopped when i started gaining knowledge on islam.. and also started practicing it properly.. mashallah i have started praying.. and also started wearing the hijab.. at this stage though i still was listening to music.. and found nothing wrong with it.. untill... i started watchin music videos and many thoughts would run through my head .. even to a point where it was close to influencing me to take off my hijab as i wished to look as nice as the people in these videos. after this i realised.. that it was influencing me more then i realised.. and actually did have a negitive effect on me.. esp in the case of my faith being weakend, so after this i started listenin to quran, and nasheeds.. and found myself at peace. i know your probably thinking.. ahh ive tried that and it dont have the same effect on me as music does.. and the only thing i can say to that is.. do more research on music.. listen 2 lectures on it.. and u'l start realising that everything there saying about it is true. it does corrupt your mind even without you realising. if you need any help with trying to stop listening to it.. then id b more than happy to help.. as i was once in ur position and know exactly how hard it is.. hope ive been of some help. salaam x
:sl:Mashallah you Allah gave you the strength to stop listening to it so drastically. Anyways, even though I feel guilty, when I hear like Immortal Technique, or eminem or something like that I get 'motivated' .... it sounds weird but I don't know I like it...a lot. Because I'm a poet, I like rhyming so music ties in with it. Thanks though for all your advice..keep it coming its what I need! I'm using all of your advice, and gradually I think INshallah I will completely stop, its willpower by me

aminahjaan
06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
UPDATTTEEE!:

Well, as you know I was listening to music a lot a few months ago.
I went to Umrah and Alhamdulillah I have no desire to listen to Music like AT ALL! It all started when I went to Medinah and the Qirat of the Quran just hit me. I was like

"Wow, this sounds so much better than Immortal Technique 50 cent and all those other rappers, why haven't I felt like this before?"

And then the biggest thing hit me when I traveled to Makkah, I could see the Kabbah from my hotel window Alhamdulillah and I saw seas and seas of people never stopping always reciting Quran, making Tawaaf, or pondering.

I realized that Music is a waste of my life. Literally, I just don't need to listen to it. Those stupid singers and rappers and gagnsters can't even be compared to all the Sheikh's recitation.
And I even got MORE encouraged when I was asking my mom about the day of Qiyamah, and I bombarded her with loads of questions. The next day we were at the Haram and she handed me a translation of the Quran in english. I was so swept away by the beauty of the words and the wisdom and kindness Allah sent down for us. It all made sense.

I began to realize all my mistakes, not only listening to music but other sins, such as what people call "white lies" which really aren't little lies. A little bit of gossip here and there "Oh her shirt is weird" all of it added up and I started to cry and ask for repentance. I just felt so BAD my heart was so heavy. I was all alone in the hotel after fajr and it was kind of scary so I needed noise, I turned on the T.V. to the Al-huda channel because I knew it played Quran that time. and Subhannallah the first Ayah that showed up was in Surah Ghafir was
77. So be patient (O Muhammad

), verily, the Promise of All�h is true, and whether We show you (O Muhammad

in this world) some part of what We have promised them, or We cause you to die, then it is to Us they all shall be returned.

I just know that Allah was answering my dua'ah.
So seriously, if anyone wants to stop listening to music or cut it down by a lot or at least feel really bad when you do....\
Go to Makkah or Medinah

oooooor
Just read the Translation of the Quran I swear it answers all your questions.

------
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
:salamext:

MashaaAllaah sis :)

Please make dua for me as well.

SixTen
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Substitute it with nasheeds.

aminahjaan
06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SixTen
Substitute it with nasheeds.
That too :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.