/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tapestry in the Baroque: Threads of Splendor

جوري
12-29-2007, 01:09 AM
If you are currently in NY or on vacation and want to see what I consider really a once in a life time treat then hurry to the met..
they have a wonderful exhibit on Tapestry in the Baroque: Threads of Splendor
such tapestries are a loan to the met and will go back to their perspective countries, so it is always neat to get them all under one roof, learn a great deal of history, battle scenes strife, wars amongst countries in picture... as they say a pic is worth a thousand words...

I realize that spending ones leisure time should be well leisurely and not 'more learning' but it is really enjoyable. All you need to do is go to front desk, don't pay suggested please, this is a public museum, you can pay a couple of bucks doesn't have to be $24 suggestes, then go ahead and rent the head set.. all you need to do is go to assigned wing and press in numbers by the exhibit then play, you get your own private tutor..

the exhibition won't be there for long, I doubt together under the same roof again, it really was rather lovely...

Islamic section is still under renovation until 2011 if you can believe it, but they have several manuscripts and a great deal of other items scattered about though not organized in a particular section...

here is the link
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/tap...endor_more.asp

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-29-2007, 01:17 AM
:sl:

Do you know how long the display will be there? I would be interested in stopping off in NYC for it, if my trip I have planned for next year comes to be Inshallah

جوري
12-29-2007, 01:20 AM
:sl:
October 17, 2007–January 6, 2008

I got it from here

From the Middle Ages until the late eighteenth century, the courts of Europe lavished vast resources on tapestries made of precious materials after designs by the leading artists of the day. This international loan exhibition, conceived as a sequel to "Tapestry in the Renaissance: Art and Magnificence" (spring 2002), is the first comprehensive survey of high-quality seventeenth-century European tapestry. Drawing from collections in more than fifteen countries, it presents some forty rare tapestries made in Brussels, Delft, Florence, London, Munich, Paris, and Rome between 1590 and 1720, along with approximately twenty-five drawings, engravings, and oil sketches. The exhibition investigates the stylistic and technical development of this prestigious figurative medium and explores the contributions of artists such as Peter Paul Rubens, Jacob Jordaens, Simon Vouet, Charles Le Brun, Pietro da Cortona, and Giovanni Romanelli, as they responded to the challenges of the medium in unique and spectacular ways.
A two-day symposium was held in connection with this exhibition on Saturday, October 20, and Sunday, October 21.

The exhibition is made possible by the Hochberg Foundation Trust and the Gail and Parker Gilbert Fund.

Corporate support is provided by Fortis.

The exhibition is also made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, the Society of Friends of Belgium in America, and the Flemish Government.

The catalogue is made possible by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Samuel I. Newhouse Foundation, Inc., and the Doris Duke Fund for Publications.

The exhibition was organized by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, with the generous participation of the Patrimonio Nacional, Madrid.

It is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={EDAF202E-60FF-47BC-9909-F0F71008EAF6}

Jazaka Allah khyran for your reply

MustafaMc
12-29-2007, 01:38 AM
I would love to see this, but it is highly unlikely that I will have a chance to go to NYC. :cry:

Believe it or not, we have had some wonderful exhibits in Mississippi that I have been able to see - "Majesty of Spain", "Splendors of Versailles", and "Palaces of St. Petersburg". It is good to have an appreciation for the history and culture of other peoples.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-29-2007, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I would love to see this, but it is highly unlikely that I will have a chance to go to NYC. :cry:

Believe it or not, we have had some wonderful exhibits in Mississippi that I have been able to see - "Majesty of Spain", "Splendors of Versailles", and "Palaces of St. Petersburg". It is good to have an appreciation for the history and culture of other peoples.
You can try one of those buses, they have so many of them around the holiday season, my friend came from MD on one of those, usually one runs but this time they have 7 especially to NY and they are nice and luxury with TV on board etc... NY is really just a zoo now, I feel as if the whole island might sink into the water.

I know what you mean about those traveling exhibitions, they are just the best, one gets bored with the permanent collection after a while.
Sometimes they offer classes a bit pricy unless you are a friend of a gold member or are a patron yourself then it is free and they serve you free goodies (tea biscotti) while you listen and watch.. those are a treat too :p
But nothing really quite like the portable lectures, that way if something is of no interest to you then you can just skip ahead.. I have sat through some boring orators wondering why I paid money to be tortured on my day off ;D
Jazaka Allah khyran for your reply
Maybe you can post some of the things you have in the permanent collection of your museum and why they are of interest..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.