/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can we marry older woman?

Insecured soul
12-29-2007, 09:07 PM
salam alaikum everyone.

i have a friend 27 yrs old and he is deeply in love with a woman who is 10 yrs elder to him and they both are muslim. he is my very close friend and he said to me he love that woman very much and asked for my advice but i didnt say anthing coz im not sure what to tell him, he says he really love her and want to marry her and even that lady intends the same he says.

so i would like to know does our religion allows to marry older woman? what is the best thing to be done in this case.

jazak allah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Zaara
12-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Aleykum selam we rahmetallahu, brother

Of course it's allowed to marry older women! Prophet Muhammad's (salallahu aleyhi weselam) first wife was Khadija, whom he loved and respected very much, was 15 years older than him!

If this brother really loves this women, he should marry her as soon as possible, inshaAllah.

adeeb
12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
ya, that's allowed... sooner they get married, better....

جوري
12-30-2007, 07:34 AM
sob7an Allah.. that was the most unusual question...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
12-30-2007, 07:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
sob7an Allah.. that was the most unusual question...
Selam aleykum, mashaAllah finally! Welcome back hun.

No, it's not that unusual. It has probably something to do with culture. In my family circle and culture, a man whose wife is even 2 years older, it's seen as something "bad", not forbidden, but something very discouraged. "A man should have a younger wife". :uhwhat

Well of course not all think like that! But the older generation generally does.

Nájlá
12-31-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

No, it's not that unusual. It has probably something to do with culture. In my family circle and culture, a man whose wife is even 2 years older, it's seen as something "bad", not forbidden, but something very discouraged. "A man should have a younger wife". :uhwhat
yeh thats like in our village but now its becoming ok because lots of men have married older womens than them.

Woodrow
12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
I doubt if I have much choice in the matter. If I remarry my wife will have to be younger than me. That is the only kind that would still be alive. Of course have to remember that most women in their 60s are younger than me.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-02-2008, 04:37 AM

Well of course not all think like that! But the older generation generally does.
:sl:
Same as us.

~Juwairiyah~
01-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Nothing wrong with it Islamically, in some cultures maybe.

seattlemuslimah
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adib1234
salam alaikum everyone.

i have a friend 27 yrs old and he is deeply in love with a woman who is 10 yrs elder to him and they both are muslim. he is my very close friend and he said to me he love that woman very much and asked for my advice but i didnt say anthing coz im not sure what to tell him, he says he really love her and want to marry her and even that lady intends the same he says.

so i would like to know does our religion allows to marry older woman? what is the best thing to be done in this case.

jazak allah khair.

Yes it is okay to marry older for a man. and a woman. Prophet PBUH married khadijah who was 15 years old. tell him to stop waiting and marry her it is better for both of them.

Jayda
01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adib1234
salam alaikum everyone.

jazak allah khair.
khadijah...

Insecured soul
01-04-2008, 09:00 PM
thats nice to know that he can marry, i will give him my advice and thanks all for ur replies.

Anisa19
01-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Yes, I agree with above.
It's like a no-no in some cultures, i don't know why, it's kind of a double standard...

May Allah put much barakah into their marriage, AMEEN

Cabdullahi
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Is marrying older women the new trend now?

------
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
:salamext:

^ And what is that supposed to mean? :mmokay: Maybe men are getting dumber and need older women to keep their heads on ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
nothing wrong wiv marrying an older woman bro infact i think it might create some of the best relationships. I say that due to our prophets love for khadija radhiallahu anha! but make sure to marry for piety, or else all will fail...

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
02-04-2008, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

^ And what is that supposed to mean? :mmokay: Maybe men are getting dumber and need older women to keep their heads on ;D
:sl: :giggling: you so funny sis... but its true in extend to the comment...
age in marriage has nothing to do with being the 'new trend' its all about compatibility, love and trust.
Considering the Prophet may peace be upon him married Khadija who was 15 years his elder around 1400 years ago, you cant possibly say its something new or a 'new trend'
:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
i heard that khadija radhiallahu anha was very beautiful, and we all know that the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam was amazingly handsome till the last day .. just more blessings.

Its not age that matters, compatibility is a blessing, you can find beauty in old age, and with that comes great understanding....

if that didnt make sense, then i probably couldnt explain what im trying to say...

mohsen1985
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm having the same problem. Because it's not accepted in our "culture"! I don't know why parents can't see that it's the love that matters

Firyal
02-05-2008, 02:17 PM

As this popular proverb 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder', it's not the real physical beauty that always counts in a person's life. Physical beauty will fade by time one day, the real beauty is found in the heart. Hence if the brother who is 27 years old wishes to marry the 37 years old sister, alhamdullillah he is doing a 'halaal' duty BUT one thing that always cropped up when days, months or years fly away, is that over an argument, often the man can criticized the age of the woman which is quite bad. But hops sincerely that these things do not crop up (ameen).:smile:

:w:

Annie
02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
salams
theres nothing wrong with it so what if shes older than him,but just do it the islamic halal way and get married asap.wasalam

sisterFatima
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Dear brother, remember, the we have no example apart from the Prophets and Prophet Muhammed s.a.w and peace be upon them all. Also remember that the only things which are forbidden are things which Allah or His rasool s.a.w have informed us are haram.
The Prophet s.a.w's wife was 15 years older then him, hence, a clear indication that it's permissible. Cultural norms are quite distinct from Religious sanctions.
All the best to your friend.

dream gurl
02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
yeay its allowd to marry an older women because the prophet (pbuh) himself married khadijah when she was alot older den he was...so its permissable

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.