/* */

PDA

View Full Version : advice

Hussain
12-25-2007, 11:31 PM
sallam

could any of you guyz tell me is it permissable to go to events like islamic concerts. for e.g sami yusuf ect i really need some advice guyz

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
:salamext:

Where there is no haraam stuff, e.g. Free mixing and music, it is permissable.

Like if you want to go to a lecture.

MartyrX
01-03-2008, 07:21 PM
If it's not haram its ok to go.

ummAbdillah
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Asalamu Alaykum brother, i hope this helps
Question:
What is the ruling on Islamic nasheeds that are free of music?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The clear saheeh texts indicate in a number of ways that it is permissible to recite poetry and listen to it. It was narrated in saheeh reports that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his noble Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) listened to verse, recited it (as nasheed) and asked others to recite it, both when they were travelling and when they stayed at home, in their gatherings and whilst they were working, individually, as in the case of Hassaan ibn Thaabit, ‘Aamir ibn al-Akwa’ and Anjashah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and in unison, as in the hadeeth of Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) which describes the digging of the ditch (al-khandaq). Anas said:

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw how exhausted and hungry we were, he said (in verse):

“O Allaah, there is no life except the life of the Hereafter, so forgive the Ansaar and the Muhaajireen.”

And they said in response:

“We are the ones who have pledged allegiance to Muhammad, to make jihaad for as long as we live.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/1043)

And in gatherings too: Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated with a hasan isnaad that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not speak in devious tones or in a soft manner. They used to recite verses in their gatherings, denouncing the affairs of their jaahiliyyah, but if it was the matter of their religion, they would become very serious and cautious (8/711).

This evidence indicates that nasheeds are permissible, whether recited individually or in unison. The word nasheed in Arabic means raising the voice when reciting verse and making the voice sound beautiful and gentle.

There are conditions to which attention must be paid with regard to this matter:

Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.

Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.

Nasheed should not be recited by women, or include haraam or obscene speech.

They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.

They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

References:

Fath al-Baari, 10/553-554-562-563
Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, 8/711
Al-Qaamoos al-Muheet, 411

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussain
sallam

could any of you guyz tell me is it permissable to go to events like islamic concerts. for e.g sami yusuf ect i really need some advice guyz
'Islamic' concerts. Don't go Hussain (well it's up to you..).

Why? Because:

The Messenger Muhammad (SAW) said: “You will surely follow those who came before you, inch by inch, step by step; so much so that if they were to enter into a lizard’s hole you would follow them. We (the Sahaabah) said: ‘O messenger of Allah! Do you mean the Jews and the Christians?’ He (saw) said: Who else?” (Saheeh Muslim, Book of Knowledge, chapter 3 hadeeth no.2669)

And:

“…And whoever imitates (or follows) a people, he is surely one of them.” (Saheeh al-Jaami’ as-Sagheer no.3152)

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Nájlá
01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
i needed advise to on this but now i understand from all the post that have been posted so thank u for the help

anonymous
01-13-2008, 06:11 PM
sallam

These concerts are the BOOOMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!! why not!

sur
01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
sallam

If concerts can delay ur religious obligations like prayers then don't go.
If u r sure u can manage not to get carried away, then go.

Muslims go to listen to "Qawaali" etc & to Hamd & Naa't gatherings. So Sami Yusuf is doing same in different style.

Woodrow
01-13-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
These concerts are the BOOOMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!! why not!
You just answered your own question.

These concerts are the BOOOMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!

They can distract from Allaah(swt).

Omari
01-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Although the prophet says in many verses in Sahi al'bukhari , that music is not permissable unless it comes from natural instruments, eg. Drums, Flute, I think you should go to Sami Yusuf's concerts. Because wether you guys know it or not i think about 85% of muslim teens in the west and other foreign countries listen to music that comes from a non muslim source altogether. Atleast Sami Yusuf's songs are all about Islam. GO for it my freind.
[I know I would]
Plus after I heard his song "Hasbi Rabi" i remember singing the song outloud for 3 weeks non stop, which meant saying allahs name twice in each song verse. I think thats sawab right there brothaaa.
[ofcourse Allah knows best]
[But considering the fact that it can serve as an alternative to western music, i think it will be forgivable.]
[Allah knows best]

Peace be with you
all of you
Omari

anonymous
01-13-2008, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You just answered your own question.

These concerts are the BOOOMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!

They can distract from Allaah(swt).
LOLLLLLLL even wen am around widout bein around U stil manaj to hav a dig at me bro, sweeeet. LoL. :okay:

Omari
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
it's woodrow, what do you expect? a lollipop?

AWW MAN I WANT A LOLLIPOP! :(

sur
01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omari
Although the prophet says in many verses in Sahi al'bukhari , that music is not permissable unless it comes from natural instruments, eg. Drums, Flute,

Omari
Like which one??? says only flute & drum & nothing else???

anonymous
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
it's woodrow, what do you expect? a lollipop?

AWW MAN I WANT A LOLLIPOP! :(
AAAAAAHAHAHAHHA AM SUKIN ON 1 RYT NOW AS IT HAPPENS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Hussain
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Thankyou brothers and sisters may allah grant you all jannah. You guyz by reading what you all have said made me sit down and think. I'll be totally honest i remeber going to one in birmingham about a year and half ago to watch sami yusuf and zain bikha they were really really good but to me it felt like it wsant my cup of tea i never learnt anything from it, it never inspired me. This is why im learning more about the sahabah (may allah have mercy on them) they truly inspired me alot just bieng a muslim has made me happy. Thank you brothers and sisters

Omari
01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Like which one??? says only flute & drum & nothing else???
Abu Musa Narrated that the prophet said to him 'O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David.'
Sahih al Bukhari, Virtues of the Qur'an, Volume 6, Book 61, (Number 568).

Let us look at Noble Verse 4:163 "We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms."

Let us look at Noble Verse 17:55 "And it is your Lord that knoweth best all beings that are in the heavens and on earth: We did bestow on some prophets more (and other) gifts than on others: and We gave to David (the gift of) the Psalms."

Definition of Pslam/s/.
A collection of sacred poems forming a book of canonical Jewish and Christian Scripture.

Often capitalized [Middle English, from Old English psalm, from Late Latin psalmus, from Greek psalmos, literally, twanging of a harp, from psallein to pluck, play a stringed instrument]
First appeared before 12th Century

A sacred song or poem used in worship; especially : one of the biblical hymns collected in the Book of Psalms

From Bukhari Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70:

Narrated Aisha:
Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) came to my house while two girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (p.b.u.h) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of Satan near the Prophet (p.b.u.h) ? " Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signaled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the Black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (p.b.u.h) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (p.b.u.h) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he told me to leave.

This same Hadith is reported to us again in Sahih Muslim:

Book 004, Number 1942:

'A'isha reported: The Messenger of Allah (way peace be upon him) came (in my apartment) while there were two girls with me singing the song of the Battle of Bu'ath. He lay down on the bed and turned away his face. Then came Abu Bakr and he scolded me and said: Oh! this musical instrument of the devil in the house of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)! The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) turned towards him and said: Leave them alone. And when he (the Holy Prophet) became inattentive, I hinted them and they went out, and it was the day of 'Id and negroes were playing with shields and spears. (I do not remember) whether I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) or whether he said to me if I desired to see (that sport). I said: Yes. I stood behind him with his face parallel to my face, and he said: O Banu Arfada, be busy (in your sports) till I was satiated. He said (to me): Is that enough? I said: Yes. Upon this he asked me to go.

Once again in Bukhari, this event is recorded:

Volume 5, Book 58, Number 268:

Narrated Aisha:
That once Abu Bakr came to her on the day of 'Id-ul-Fitr or 'Id ul Adha while the Prophet was with her and there were two girl singers with her, singing songs of the Ansar about the day of Buath. Abu Bakr said twice. "Musical instrument of Satan!" But the Prophet said, "Leave them Abu Bakr, for every nation has an 'Id (i.e. festival) and this day is our 'Id."

And then in Bukhari, another Hadith relates a connection between musical instruments and the family of David (saw). Further evidence that, indeed, the Psalms were musical in nature:

Volume 6, Book 61, Number 568:

Narrated Abu Musa:
That the Prophet said to him' "O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David .'

And on one final note, I thought the following Hadith can also be used in the matter. The Hadith relates of how the adhan came to be, and how the Prophet's companions suggested the use of musical instruments such as the horn or bell like the People of the Book. Now although the Prophet ultimately approved the use of the human voice, there is no mention that the Prophet chastised his companions for suggesting musical instruments for the adhan. And if the Prophet was so very much against musical instruments, then why would his companions dare to suggest the use of such sinful things in the call to prayer????

From Muslim Book 004, Number 0735:

Ibn Umar reported: When the Muslims came to Medina, they gathered and sought to know the time of prayer but no one summoned them. One day they discussed the matter, and some of them said: Use something like the bell of the Christians and some of them said: Use horn like that of the Jews. Umar said: Why may not a be appointed who should call (people) to prayer? The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: O Bilal, get up and summon (the people) to prayer.

Omari

sur
01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Abu Musa Narrated that the prophet said to him 'O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the musical wind-instruments of the family of David.'
Sahih al Bukhari, Virtues of the Qur'an, Volume 6, Book 61, (Number 568).

Let us look at Noble Verse 4:163 "We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms."

Let us look at Noble Verse 17:55 "And it is your Lord that knoweth best all beings that are in the heavens and on earth: We did bestow on some prophets more (and other) gifts than on others: and We gave to David (the gift of) the Psalms."

Omari
Thanks for effort & I have even more such ahadees.

My point was NOT that whether islam allows duff/flute or NOT.
My point was that where it says that we can't use anything other than these???

If we resort to logic that hadith mention ONLY duff & flute so only these 2 r allowed, then we'll have to start using horses & camels & donkeys while STOP using cars & airplanes since they r NOT mensioned in Quran or hadith. !!! we'll have to stop using plastic dishes since they r NOT mentioned. Stop wearing all dresses except what Prophet wore since NO other dress is mentioned in hadees.!!!!

Prophet wore what was modest of his time. He rode what was available in his time. Similarly hadees mention muscal instruments available & common in his time.!!!

====================

like u mentioned Psalms. I agree.

But flute was NOT the ONLY instrument Prophet Dawood had:-

Psalms:33:2: Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.

Psalms:92:3: Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound

Omari
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
See I totally understand your point. You are saying that instruments such as an electric guitar was not available at the time and thus could possibly have been allowed.
The main reason i posted those ahadees was that though soem of the prophets allowed music, the music was ONLY supposed to be used for unsinfull intentions. If you play an electric guitar for example and you are playing rock music, and this promotes dancing and such then it is sinful and thus haram.

Dont hesitate to ask..
Omari

Intisar
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
:w: What benefit are you gaining from it?

sur
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
See I totally understand your point. You are saying that instruments such as an electric guitar was not available at the time and thus could possibly have been allowed.
The main reason i posted those ahadees was that though soem of the prophets allowed music, the music was ONLY supposed to be used for unsinfull intentions. If you play an electric guitar for example and you are playing rock music, and this promotes dancing and such then it is sinful and thus haram.

Dont hesitate to ask..
Omari
I edited my post to add Psalms verses Plz read.

================
& about dancing, again like it depend on use of music Good/Bad similarly it depend on type of dancing. Like dancing in a party with non-mahrams is bad, but dancing on it's own is NOT:-

Prophet asked Aisha if she wanted to see Eid festival which included negros dancing. So not dancing is allowed BUT we can also watch it!!!

& such was also practiced on marriage ceremonies:-
'Aishah narrated that when a woman was married to an Ansari man, the Prophet(peace be on him) said, " 'Aishah, did they have any entertainment? The Ansarare fond of entertainment.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari.)

Ibn 'Abbas said, " 'Aishah gave a girl relative of hers in marriage to a man of theAnsar. The Prophet (peace be on him) came and asked, 'Did you send a singer along with her?' 'No,' said 'Aishah. The Messenger of Allah (peace be on him) then said, The Ansar are a people who love poetry. You should have sent along someone who would sing, 'Here we come, to you we come, greet us as we greet you.' " (Reported by Ibn Majah.)

In his book, Ihya ulum al-deen, (In the quarter on "Habits", in the book Listening to Singing.), Imam al-Ghazzali mentions the ahadith about the singing girls, the Abyssinians playing with spears in the Prophet's Mosque, the Prophet's encouraging them by saying, "Carry on, O Bani Arfidah," his asking his wife, 'Aishah, "Would you like to watch?" and standing there with her until she herself became tired and went away, and 'Aishah's playing with dolls with her friends.

sur
01-15-2008, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:w: What benefit are you gaining from it?
le.g.,
In this world of dis-harmony when one comes back from all day work, he can regain his harmony by listening to harmonious sounds aka good music.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-15-2008, 12:39 AM
:sl:

So the Qur'an is not of these "harmonious sounds" ? But music is? And the Qur'an does not let one "regain his harmony" ? But music does?

Intisar
01-15-2008, 12:42 AM
:sl: It's like one of those events where you come back thinking, ''What was the point?"

I for one am against most nasheeds, and if this ''event'' is filled with haraam (eg. free-mixing) then we all know who the third party is.

Dhirk of Allaah is way more ''harmonious'' than the sounds of Sami Yusuf, imo. :)

sur
01-15-2008, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Ubaydullah

So the Qur'an is not of these "harmonious sounds" ? But music is? And the Qur'an does not let one "regain his harmony" ? But music does?
Did I say any such thing about Quran.!! NO; u r just presuming it.

water is best drink as per a Hadith,

so do u never drink soda???

Do u never drink fruit juice???

got my point or do i need to explain.?

Omari
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
I love sami yusuf, he is using his incredible voice singing praises of allah instead of singing about girls. When people have talent and they use it for religion i for one am proud of them.

Yes the reading of the Quran gives heart content to those who appreciate it.
Jazakullah

Omari
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=sur;898334]Did I say any such thing about Quran.!! NO; u r just presuming it.

You mistake, she was just giving you an alternative, not accusing you. :D
Chill brother

sur
01-15-2008, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Omari;898338]
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Did I say any such thing about Quran.!! NO; u r just presuming it.

You mistake, she was just giving you an alternative, not accusing you. :D
Chill brother
:) u mistake as well , it's a HE not a SHE :D

NoName55
01-15-2008, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Ubaydullah

:wasalamex
:)

edit: You right on target as usual but I think place is getting overcrowded by these little wannabe muftis

YusufNoor
01-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Thankyou brothers and sisters may allah grant you all jannah. You guyz by reading what you all have said made me sit down and think. I'll be totally honest i remeber going to one in birmingham about a year and half ago to watch sami yusuf and zain bikha they were really really good but to me it felt like it wsant my cup of tea i never learnt anything from it, it never inspired me. This is why im learning more about the sahabah (may allah have mercy on them) they truly inspired me alot just bieng a muslim has made me happy. Thank you brothers and sisters

Alhumdulillah, asked and answered! [just in case you all missed it! :happy:]

May Allah, Subhannahu Wa Ta'Aala increase you in Taqwa and Iman!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.