/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Travelling without a mahram

anonymous
12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
assalamualaikum

I am a new Muslim and i am confused about something. I wondered whether someone could help(sorry if this is not in the right place)

Is it ok for a married woman to travel without a mahram.I want to travel with another friend of mine(who is also married) it will jsut be the two of us ladies and we will be travelling around 200 miles. we will be staying a couple of days and then returning t our home city.

many thanks

wasalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
:salamext:

Prohibition of a woman travelling without a mahram, and conditions of a mahram

muslim1
12-30-2007, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
assalamualaikum

I am a new Muslim and i am confused about something. I wondered whether someone could help(sorry if this is not in the right place)

Is it ok for a married woman to travel without a mahram.I want to travel with another friend of mine(who is also married) it will jsut be the two of us ladies and we will be travelling around 200 miles. we will be staying a couple of days and then returning t our home city.

many thanks

wasalaam

Salam to u. Many scholars said that a mahram was necessary in the past cuz of dnagers on the way. They said now ways are safe and travelling is much easier and theres no need as long as way is safe. :thumbs_up

Angelzz
01-05-2008, 08:06 AM
:sl:

Im sorry muslim1 -- can you please post which scholar said this?

As you can see from the source the sister abouve has posted - the evidence is quite clear -- the woman may not travel without a mahram.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohsen1985
01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim1
Salam to u. Many scholars said that a mahram was necessary in the past cuz of dnagers on the way. They said now ways are safe and travelling is much easier and theres no need as long as way is safe. :thumbs_up
I agree with you muslim1. I know that link says it's not allowed. But consider this, the prophet (pbuh) said that to the guy based on those days and ages conditions. Isn't one of the unique features of Islam that the ulama can pass new rules based on the conditions of today's world? I'm not saying that what the prophet has said is wrong, God forbid. But many of the hadiths can easily be ruled out because they don't apply in this day and age.

Back then they didn't have cellphones, no computers, going from one country to another would take days and weeks, or even months. But now you can keep in touch with everyone from whereever you are. You can get from one side of the world to the other side in less than 24 hours. There's no danger of a woman traveling alone anymore. This is just my opinion though. I'll look into a couple of books and if I find anything by a well-known scholar on this topic I'll update you on it

Angelzz
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM

SubhanAllah brother -- just because society has advanced through out the ages is no condition to "RULE OUT" hadiths, as you put it.
If that was the case im sure the "Ulema" would have done this already.

However, in saying that -- the issue becomes that of travelling and NOT that a woman can travel on her own.

Travelling in the sense used in the hadith is in reference to a journey -- now how would that say affect me in my day to day life, you may ask?

Simple - If I want to pack up my luggage and get on a plane and fly to other side of the world or to the other side of my country and I stay there a few nights -- this is considered a journeyfor me and thus the hadith will apply in the sense I cannot undertake this journey without a mahram.

Now If I'm simply going out for the day -- let's say going out to shop somewhere I dont usually go -- maybe even a little out than i normally do --- or to visit some relatives for the day ---- this is not considered a journey for me. Do you see the difference?

However, for some people -- what they consider a journey is not considered a journey to others based on their surroundings and the society they are in. So if you are not sure in reference to your particular situation -- it is best to check with your imam or sheikh for clarification. It does NOT mean you ignore the hadith altogether.

Also akhi, just because we have cell phones and computers and can get around quicker than we used 1400 years ago --- doesnt mean there isnt any perils for women travelling alone ESPECIALLY if not more so than in today's society.

mohsen1985
01-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I looked into a couple of books, there was nothing on this topic . . .

I asked some relatives about this, my aunt said for a married woman, her husband's permission is required. Also, my mom said this situation came up some years ago when she wanted to go on a trip to a holy city with her sisters. They asked their marja' and he said there isn't a problem.

About ruling out hadiths, I quoted a respected Islamic studies university professor. Maybe I told it wrong. I'm not sayin the hadith isn't valid. But things have changed, and some hadiths don't apply in today's society.

Angelzz
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM

This is the ruling for travelling to holy city lets say to do umrah

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...txt=travelling

As you can see -- you still need a mahram. There is no excuses akhi --- If you have a mahram you must not travel without one.

And here also http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...txt=travelling

and here again for women travelling with other women

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...txt=travelling

InshaAllah this clarifies things for you.

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
:salamext:

I think this answers your question directly:

http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...ut-mahram.html

S_87
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohsen1985
I agree with you muslim1. I know that link says it's not allowed. But consider this, the prophet (pbuh) said that to the guy based on those days and ages conditions. Isn't one of the unique features of Islam that the ulama can pass new rules based on the conditions of today's world? I'm not saying that what the prophet has said is wrong, God forbid. But many of the hadiths can easily be ruled out because they don't apply in this day and age.

Back then they didn't have cellphones, no computers, going from one country to another would take days and weeks, or even months. But now you can keep in touch with everyone from whereever you are. You can get from one side of the world to the other side in less than 24 hours. There's no danger of a woman traveling alone anymore. This is just my opinion though. I'll look into a couple of books and if I find anything by a well-known scholar on this topic I'll update you on it
there are millions of dangers in a woman travelling alone. maybe even more than before.
te hadiths apply more so in todays society when there is no akhlaq in the people. if todays society was safe there wouldnt be no troubles, women wouldnt be harmed in any way etc. but we see all this still goes on with the cellphones and computers avialable.. :)

mohsen1985
01-05-2008, 12:47 PM
:cry:
I'm sorry, but I'm still not satisfied with this hadith and these replies. I understand everything you said, and I respect your belief, but can't a woman get attacked just 10 feet from her house? Can't men get attacked while traveling alone?

Maybe I should clarify my points a little more, it's still a little vague.

Let's say it's 1400 years ago, a woman wants to travel alone. She has to get on a camel/horse, travel through the desert for days and nights. If there are no rest stops she must sleep in the desert alone, there's a great chance she will get attacked (notice this that the prophet PBUH has said for men not to sleep alone, especially in a deserted place). There are more dangers for women than there are for men, I know this. Anyways, now imagine today, a woman decides to go from japan to the usa. She buys her ticket, reserves a hotel room from the airport in a well known hotel, she gets on a lisenced cab, she does whatever she is traveling for, and she returns home safely. If she keeps her eyes and ears open, she can travel around with no real dangers after her.

Hope I conveyed my points more clearly this time.

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
:wasalamex

I think we need to understand a principle in fiqh, and it's that if something is not specific, it's general. The Prophet sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam did not specify that hadeeth for his time, or his generation, or any specific time at all! Rather the hadeeth is general! There is no evidence from other ahaadeeth, or ayaat that this ruling was for a specific time either. So then how can we use our intellects to abrogate this ruling then? Especially when we have no knowledge!

It is reported upon 'Ali ibn Abu Talib (radhiyAllaahu 'anhu) that he said:

"If the religion was based on the intellect, then the bottom of the leather sock would be more deserving to be wiped than the top."

Reported by Aboo Daawood (162), this narration was declared authentic by shaykh al-Albaanee in al-Irwaa (103).

It is not for us to question or try to rationalise a command from Allaah and His Messenger. Rather, it is befitting that the believers say, 'We hear, and we obey!'

The fatwa that I linked to is more than sufficient, as it is by a modern day scholar, who is still alive, hafidhahullaah. Alhamdulillah he has refuted a lot of misconceptions.

:wasalamex

Angelzz
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM

There has been plenty of links and information given here to help everyone understand the issue of travelling without a mahram.

Thread Closed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.