/* */

PDA

View Full Version : being on the same side..

anonymous
12-31-2007, 03:38 AM
:sl:

Alright,I'll start off by thanking whoever took the time to read this and add a reply;truly appreciate it.

Im a girl,and im having to make an IMPORTANT decision soon in matters of what to study.I finish high school soon and,since about 2 years,I was 100% sure I wanted to be an architect.It seemed to fit me perfectly(for those who saw the thread of the weird architectual buildings;I completly fell in love with those pictures).The qualities and skills(creativity,logic,leadership,etc..) all matched who I am.

The fact that I could also contribute to the construction of hospitals,civic centers,etc...blew my mind.Imagine working being part of a team in a third world country,designing a hospital for those in need.*sighs*(this might be a far-fetched dream,but hey,it could happen.)

The problem?I wear the hijab,I am practising,and will never give that up for anything.Some people told me that I'll have a hard time finding a job,that some workplaces are closed off to women,let alone hijabis.I've thought of working in Dubai,but a person I had suggest this too laughed and said,"yeah,as if they'll hire a hijabi woman".Is it true?:enough!:

In Islam,a woman can work if she needs to.Personally,I think most women today NEED to study and have a secure job.Why?Because you never know what can happen if you marry a man,have children,but have no other source of income except for his'.What if he passes away?What if he leaves you?What if he's ill and can't work?How will you support your family then?

I think there should be a definite line between managing a career and taking care of your family.Yes,I do believe both are possible.I live in a country where I have the opportunity to not only acquire knowledge,but have a chance to study something which can help me contribute to the world.

I want to make something out of my life by helping others(even if it's the smallest act);and by doing something I love.

Anyway,should I go for it,study architecture and become an architect,with the risk of never having the opportunity to acquire experience(being an intern),and being hired?...Or should I just go in the medical field,where the odds are pretty high that I won't have a problem finding a job,and that I could also help people...but in a completly different way...

I believe that if I go into the medical field,I won't be as happy as I would be if I was able to work as an architect...letting out my imagination,leading a team,and so on...but this might not happen,I might get my degree and never have a single opportunity,not because im not qualified,but because employers would feel "uncomfortable" with hiring a veiled woman.Or am I exaggerating?

So..what should I do?Stay on the safe side and go into medicine(which I do somewhat like),or go for what I truly want?

Hope this isn't an innapropriate question.

Thanks..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noorseeker
01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Salam sister, personally i dont think the hijab will prevent you getting a job, i know the media protrays islam and especially women in a bad light, but in reality in the western world its not a really big problem.

Yes there will be exceptions, if you didnt have the skills or intelligence to do a job then that would hinder your chances in getting a job. I think that there are many women working in good firms and high jobs that wear hijab.

Dubai is a muslim country , i know its full of westerners and has a very western feel to it , but never the less it is a muslim country, and by the looks of it they need all the architects they can get hold of.

May Allah bless you and make your dreams come true

Nájlá
01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
say a dua everyday and go for it

snakelegs
01-04-2008, 10:40 AM
follow your heart.
but i do think there is a real need for more muslim women in the medical fields.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.