/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reverts - did you have problems changing your name?

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Assalam o Allikum
I was just intrested to see if anyone else, like myself had problems in changing their name. I have been following islam for approx 3 years now but made my declaration with an affidavit in Pakistan ( with a local imam behind a curtain ) Shortly after this i got married ( also in Pakistan ) and on my return to england went about to change my name... and my gosh... its an expensive affair.
The authorities i spoke to refused to recognize any of the documents including my marriage certificate so hence i had to do it all by deed poll ( even MISS to MRS cost an extra £6 :hmm: ), and after that of course a new passport and many others things.. im still trying to update my name on many other things like bills etc
so far in total its cost me £150 to change my name,
seems everything is about money these days :scared:
i was just curious if other reverts had similar stories regarding changing their name.. good or bad...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
adeeb
01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
i'm muslim born, i was born muslim, alhamdulillah, so i dont have name problem like you have...

changing your name, in my opinion, is very good! you want to show people that you are muslim...

but, if it cost, like what you said, very high, and u have to struggle for that, u dont have a mandatory to change your name...

maybe just for solution, u can change ure nickname , u dont have to change ur fullname... :sunny::sunny:

Souljette
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
WOWWW..siss you went thru a whole lot for tht...ppl these days ..its ok..Allah inshallah gave you the reward for that..Salam

Muezza
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Salam

I reverted to Islam on the 14th of October 2007. It was the best day of my life. I am so happy now. I have decided, however, not to change my name as my parents chose my name and I don't think in Islam you are required to change your name. Plus my husband doesn't want me to. When I have children they will all have Arab names but I will remain as Christine.

Good on you - we are all different.

God bless you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maimunah
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
salaam

It is makrooh to use foreign names that belong only to the kuffaar.

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...s%20in%20islam

snakelegs
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
yeah, i would think that "christine" would be a problem.
btw, welcome to the forum!

Muezza
01-10-2008, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
yeah, i would think that "christine" would be a problem.
btw, welcome to the forum!
Salam

Why is Christine a problem? It is my birth name. I love and adore my parents and it is the name they gave me at birth. Islam says you should respect your parents and I believe I would be disobeying my parents by changing my name. My husband has no problem with Christine.

Thanks for your welcome.

Muezza
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maimunah
salaam

Salaam

Can you enlighten me as what a 'Kuffaar' exactly is? I have heard this term before and I am not sure what it means.

Regards and god bless you.

Nasir666
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maimunah
salaam

:sl:

what do you mean by "foreign names"...?

snakelegs
01-11-2008, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezza
Salam

Why is Christine a problem? It is my birth name. I love and adore my parents and it is the name they gave me at birth. Islam says you should respect your parents and I believe I would be disobeying my parents by changing my name. My husband has no problem with Christine.

Thanks for your welcome.
as you see, i am a non-muslim. i am not actually sure christine would be a problem. my original thinking was that it would because it is a specifically christian name, but since jesus was a prophet, it might be ok.
better we wait for someone who really knows what they're talking about.

Nasir666
01-11-2008, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
as you see, i am a non-muslim. i am not actually sure christine would be a problem. my original thinking was that it would because it is a specifically christian name, but since jesus was a prophet, it might be ok.
better we wait for someone who really knows what they're talking about.
Hello sister Christine and brother snakelegs.

The problem with the name Christine is that it means "Follower of Christ",muslims are not followers of christ...they are followers of Allah,thats why the name Christine is inapropiate for a Muslima.

syilla
01-11-2008, 04:48 AM
:salamext:

I think...the name in the documents is not a big matter.

Is the name that what people call you that is important. People should call you with the nicest and best names.

truemuslim
01-11-2008, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
i'm muslim born, i was born muslim, alhamdulillah, so i dont have name problem like you have...

changing your name, in my opinion, is very good! you want to show people that you are muslim...

but, if it cost, like what you said, very high, and u have to struggle for that, u dont have a mandatory to change your name...

maybe just for solution, u can change ure nickname , u dont have to change ur fullname... :sunny::sunny:
Yes me too. im born muslim into a muslim family wit no non-muslim family or relatives...anywhere.. but yeah... and i don't know how much 6 $ or whatever that symbol was ayesha did is here in the u.s. except when i bought my ipod from england...islamic ipod...anyway, ayesha u are really patient, you convert and take all the troubles to make urself an amazing muslim mashallah, may allah help u and make every thing easy for u, u are so patient. :w:

Omari
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Peace be with you.
dear christine, your name should not be a problem as it means follower of christ. not worshipper. and as far as following a prophet is concerned there is no problem as jesus christ, like all prophets, was free of any sins minor or major. Inshalah you will go to heaven with your name :)

Ayesha, i have a freind who went through the same thing you went through but it cost him much more. You see in canada you have to pay about 100 dollars just to get the document to change your name. Then comes the passport, visa, bills, cellphone, home phone, internet, adress , credit card ,debit card, student card, library card. and sooo muchhhh moreeee..
it cost him like 325 dollars in total ...

anatolian
01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
...islamic ipod...
:happy:

Muezzin
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I think Allah (SWT) cares more about our intentions and deeds than our names (unless the names are really freakin' crazy, like, say, 'Leatherface', 'Shang Tsung' or, to a lesser extent, 'King Bowser').

Souljette
01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
LOL thts truu

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.