/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with camera purchase

جوري
01-03-2008, 02:47 AM
I am trying to upgrade my camera and would just like your input on what is good
mine is very poor for 'moving pirctures' here is an example of what I mean

so it is exceptionally bad around young children who don't stay still for any pic anyway..
I was told that it has to do with 'shutter speed' whatever it is, I'd like for you all to tell me what kind of camera you have and why you like it so I can do some comparison before shopping..
I must admit my all time favorite camera was a 40 year old yashica which is now dead and of course it belongs to my parents, so I can't just take it and fix it..

oh my current is a fuji, which isn't bad and actually wasn't cheap but time has come for us to move on..

Anyhow your input is appreciated
Jazakoum Allah khyran in advance

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
01-03-2008, 02:54 AM
while we are on the subject, if you can tell me of a good 'projector' as well and which is the easisest bank to rob :lol:

I have been finding the prices of projectors rather inflated, is it normal that they should cost so much?

ABWAN
01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
For Digicam, check out Panasonic. They use the much renowned Leica lens. Besides their image stabilization works far better. Sony cams are quite good as well.

guyabano
01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
In Digital cams, you have 2 big classes of cameras:

1. Electronic Shutter means LCD Shutter, which are mostly pocket cams
2. Mirror-Reflex Shutter Cameras, mostly for semi- and professional use.

I'm pretty sure, you prefer an pocket cam. Here I suggest you to check SONY Cams, as they have HQ Lens from Carl Zeiss. Most important is anyway the lens, Megapixels is just a selling argument. I have a professional cam, but I always use 5M Pixels. 8 and 10MPixels are rather seldem used. Example, an 5Mpix has a filesize form 2Mb on your Flashdisk or Harddisk, with 5Mb, you reach already 3.5MB and 8MPix, well, guess.

Another important selecting criteria is, with what type of batteries/Accus you can operate your cam. If you can use AA-Size Batteries or Metalhybrid/Lithion-Ion Accus from the shelf, or is it an 'inbuild' Accu. In that case, you must always be aware, that when you make a longer trip and you use to make a lot of snapshots, to have always a spare Battery on you. In case, of AA-Size Batteries, well, you can find them everywhere without longer charging times, unlike the 'inbuilt' ones.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shible
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
If it's gonna be Digicam.i can recommend three Brands

1. Sony
2. Cannon
3. Kodak

And there is one More Cam Available in Market with SLR Lenses.

single-lens reflex (SLR) camera utilizes an automatic moving mirror system which permits the photographer to see exactly what will be captured by the film or digital imaging system, as opposed to non-SLR cameras where the view through the viewfinder could be significantly different from what was captured on film.

Check for the SLR Digicams they will be Perfect to Capture Moving Images.

All the Above three brands are having SLR Cams

crayon
01-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I've got two cameras:
this one

and this one

I doubt you need a camera like the first, the second might be more appropriate for you. It's quite old, though Canon have made tons of newer versions. Personally, I prefer Canon camera. I've read some good reviews on the "canon ixus" series, they might be worth looking into. If it's just for regular use, you won't need huge images, 5 or 6 megapixels should be good.

As for shutter speed, it's the speed at which the shutter closes. It's written as 1/a number. The bigger the number is, the faster the shutter closes, the clearer your pictures are. But you can only use high shutter speeds in conditions with a lot of light, because you'll just get dark images if there isn't enough light for a fast shutter speed.

If you have any questions, just drop me a PM, i'll be glad to answer.:)

edit- OH, and I recommend you get a digital camera, for regular use it's much cheaper and more convenient than film.

Woodrow
01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
:sl:

Too often people get wrapped up in the hype about all of the features of cameras. Now all kinds of features are wonderful, if your goal is to go into photography as an art form.

Most people really only want an easy to use camera that takes clear pictures under most conditions. They don't want to have to worry about stuff like film speed, shutter speed, focal length etc.

For them a fully automatic digital camera is ideal. My favorites for that are the Fuji finepix series. I am very partial to the E550 although it is now out dated. Using the auto settings even my grand kids take excellent pictures with it. with a 2 gig xd card (I know it was not made for the 2 gig, but I have not had any problems using either olympus or fuji 2 gig xd cards) You can take a number of pictures in rapid succession and and later stick the card in your PC and delete all of the fuzzy pics. Leaving just the best. You can then either print them your self or send them to wally-world. If you desire to use the camera in video mode, you can get 30-45 minutes of AVI movie on a 2 gig xd card.

A very low cost alternative to the E550 is the E500 it is basically a now
frills version of the 550 and is really ideal for the typical ebay seller and causal general usage.

Fuji has come up with a newer version that is similar to the E550, except better and is compatable with both xd and sd cards. The sd cards are much cheaper.

Here is some brief ads about the Fuji's I am partial towards, expecially for the typical user who really doesn't want to mess with settings.

Here is every thing about the el-cheapo E500. But it is an outstanding camera. I would not use a 2 gig card in it. For most people a one gig is satisfactory anyhow.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...855715&CatId=7

Here is the camera I'm getting for the grandkids. It is excellent, easy to use, if you just keep it on automode and forget the other settings. I would rather get them the E500 above, but this is what they want. It looks prettier.
It is the A900

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...954301&CatId=7

this is the E550, it is my favorite all purpose camera. Most of the pics I have posted were taken with it on the auto-focus setting. I do not believe they still make this one. But, it can often be found refurbished at good camera shops and the current price is considerably lower now. It does handle the 2 gig xd cards very well, at least in olympus and fuji brands

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E550/E55A.HTM

Although this is my favorite camera. I do not say it is for everybody. It has many features most people would never use.

For most people I care about and I was to buy them a gift. I would buy them the el-cheapo E500 as it is easier to use. and of excellent quality for great pictures on auto settings.

Woodrow
01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia

so it is exceptionally bad around young children who don't stay still for any pic anyway..
I was told that it has to do with 'shutter speed' whatever it is, I'd like for you all to tell me what kind of camera you have and why you like it so I can do some comparison before shopping..
I must admit my all time favorite camera was a 40 year old yashica which is now dead and of course it belongs to my parents, so I can't just take it and fix it..

oh my current is a fuji, which isn't bad and actually wasn't cheap but time has come for us to move on..

The problem with your sample picture was the ISO setting was too low and Shutter speed was too slow.

guyabano
01-03-2008, 03:11 PM

and btw, I don't know what you complain, some people try hard to get these kind of motion pictures well done ! ;D

جوري
01-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you all so much..
and guybano, what I was complaining about is you see how the cars look in the pictures, with my nieces and nephew, their face and hands come out so distorted, for my two year old niece's birthday, not one picture came out good, even though I had my sister hold her still so she wouldn't move, but those just look like we are abusing her, you can clearely see her struggle to get away :lol: so I just wanted to avoid that in motion, I didn't want to include them here but the one above was taken while my sis was driving...
good thing about my camera is it has a built in flash.. I don't want to be a photographer, I just want my pictures to look as if I were a professional :smile:..

I try to 'fix' my mistakes with a program called Nero photoshop, and it is nice, but I'd prefer if the camera would just do all the hard work.

I am going to look into all the choices you have all suggested.. I must admit, some of it went directly over my head.. I need to decode some of these acronyms ;D

thank you again

Eric H
01-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Hello PurestAmbrosia;
Out of focus action shots are probably more to do with shaking the camera, try resting the camera on something.

Two tips I have found really good for taking photos of kids is to buy a camera with a swivel viewing screen and you can hold the camera waist high. It just makes the camera so much more versatile.

If you get a digital camera buy one that you can connect direct to your television with a wire. When you do this stand just in front of the tv and a bit to the side. The kids can then see themselves on tv through the camera and you will be surprised how extrovert they become, they will see each photo because it freezes for a second.

I have found young kids will happily pose for a couple of hundred shots in front of the TV and they will naturally do funny things, they really enjoy seeing themselves on TV.

Take care

Eric

جوري
01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Thank you Eric and I know what you mean, my older niece and nephew are 7 and ten and they have no problems whatsoever goofing off, making faces or annoying me by insinuating themselves in every photo I need to take, I constantly find their little hands or part of their faces in shots, which is kind of amusing but really annoying.. it is the littlest one that is really missing out because both her parents are so busy which leaves room for pics only in special occasions and she won't sit, stand or be still in any of them. This last 3eed I didn't get one photo of her which is a shame...

I was thinking of selling my current fuji on ebay and just putting in a couple more hundreds for something really good that will last...
but even cameras are like computers, they keep changing every few months and I am not quite sure how to distinguish the difference, truly my parents' old camera was the best, the colors and photos were really remarkable and you didn't need to be a professional.. but now I prefer digital anyway so I can print it from home and do a few things with it like 'aging' black and white etc...

I really appreciate all your help.. I'll look into a few options but prefer if someone would do some comparison with me...

The older I get the more indecisive, honestly in my teenage yrs, no question ever posed me such reflections, I feel like I am growing senile that I have to ask around before I make a purchase...

Anyhow which is a better camera and why

Canon PowerShot SX100 IS 8.0MP

a Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10MP Digital Camera

a Canon EOS Rebel 30D 8MP Digital SLR Camera

or
Panasonic 8MP Digital Camera DM-CFZ50S

please use every day lay man's terms when explaining which is better

thank you so much

addendum:
you may certainly include one that I haven't, I have been only reading about those options, I know there is more so feel free to share and with pictures, I find that visual aid helps lol

Woodrow
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I will do it slowly, one at a time and by elimination.

The first one to eliminate is the Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10MP Digital Camera, it is a very good camera, but not needed for the majority of people. You can not visually tell the difference between 8mp and 10mp pictures unless you enlarge them bigger than 9 x 11. there is a big difference in price between them and the price difference is not worth it for most people.

جوري
01-04-2008, 12:03 AM
^^ ha I understood that, and perfect because I print on matte paper of 9X11-- I have no intention of going bigger than that, Jazaka Allah khyran so far so good :smile:

Woodrow
01-04-2008, 12:25 AM
The Panasonic 8MP Digital Camera DM-CFZ50S is a great camera. but it has a lot of features you probably would never need. It would be able to "catch' almost any moving objects without blur. But, you may not need that much speed unless you plan on taking pictures of flying golf balls.

the Drawback is it is pricey. I would say to consider this one only if the others are in the same price range.

The new 8-megapixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50, successor to the popular DMC-FZ30, features a powerful f2.8 Leica DC lens with 12x optical zoom. The lens focal length is equivalent to 35-420mm on a 35mm film camera and is enhanced by Mega O.I.S., Panasonic's exclusive Optical Image Stabilizer system.

The DMC-FZ50 boasts a 8-megapixel high resolution CCD for its image sensor and Venus Engine III for the image processing LSI, making it possible to record a image at maximum ISO 1600 high sensitivity setting at full resolution. Furthermore, by dramatically reducing the noise levels that challenged its predecessor, the DMC-FZ50 is able to capture 8-megapixel full resolution images even in high sensitivity recording.

* Records full-size movies in wide-aspect VGA (848 x 480) at 30 frames per second
* 8-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 18 x 24-inch prints
* 12x image-stabilized optical zoom; 2.0-inch free-angle LCD display
* Intelligent ISO Control (I.I.C.) reduces image blur from subject movement and low light
* Stores images on SD memory cards (32MB card included); powered by li-ion battery pack (battery and charger included)

Grace Seeker
01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm going to be no help to you, because after spending a year with a digital, I'm ready to go back to using film again. You want my old Canon PowerShot S2 iS?

But my daughter and her husband have a Pentax K100D and love it. I wish I had spent the extra money on that as my film SLR is a Pentax and all of my lenses and accessories would work with both.

For your concern with blur you want two things, a fast shutter speed (as explained before a shutter speed setting of 60 is really 1/60th of a second, the minimun for freezing normal motion, preferably 1/250th of a second for hyperactive kids), and a larger aperature.

Reasoning: to get a fast shutter reduces the amount of light you are going to get in. So get a faster lens. By that I mean one with a larger aperature, measured in f-stops. A 2.8 is twice as big and allows in twice as much light as a setting at 5.6. Hence you can get the same shot with a using aperature of 2.8 and 1/125 shutter as you would with a 5.6 and 1/60th shutter. Thus we say that a 2.8 lens is faster than a 5.6. Of course, using the zoom on your lens is also going to decrease the amount of light as when zooming you are automatically decreasing the size of your aperature.

Before buying a new camera there are three things you can do on your present camera to eliminate some of the blur.
1) Be sure that you are holding the camera itself still. Use a tripod. Rest it on something. Lean against a wall to steady yourself. Hold it braced against a tree or telephone pole.
2) Get closer to your subject. This allows you to use the wide angle portion of your lens and will thus allow in more light, resulting in a wider aperature setting, allowing you to shoot with a faster shutter speed.
3) Use your flash. A good flash will often freeze a moving subject even with a slow shutter speed. I used to take sports pictures for the local paper. And people were surprised at how I could freeze a player in midair just by using my flash, even when I had a slow shutter speed.

Also, if the kids are not just bouncing around willy nilly, but are running across a room. If they are running parallel to you (rather than at or away from you), learn to pan your shot. Following along with them and slowly squeezing the trigger (rather than quickly snapping it) will give you your best best to eliminate motion from the shot.

Also, among the 4 you are choosing from the Canon EOS Rebel would be my choice for what you have said, though (if I had the money) I might be tempted to go with the Panasonic for myself. But Woodrow is doing a good job of explaining why, so I will just let him continue with that.

جوري
01-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 seems like an sxquisite choice, and there is a whole demonstration about it in this video

Media Tags are no longer supported

جوري
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Great info Gene but I can't open the sites you've provided me with.. ah I am loving this shopping experience already..
thanks everyone for your help..

peace

Grace Seeker
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Great info Gene but I can't open the sites you've provided me with.. ah I am loving this shopping experience already..
thanks everyone for your help..

peace

hmmmm... don't know what to make of that. Just run your own Google search for them. There are plenty of other websites that carry reviews on them. In the meantime, I'll see if I need to fix something in the way I put the code in.

Woodrow
01-04-2008, 01:12 AM
At the moment the Lumix DMC-FZ50 is the best choice. But let us finish looking at the others and see How the prices compare and what they lack.

Scratch off this one

Canon PowerShot SX100 IS 8.0MP

Product Description
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS 8.0MP Digital Camera - Black
Product Summary:

High Value, High Performance. PowerShot SX100 IS will inspire you with its with phenomenal 10x Optical Zoom .and so much more. There's the 8.0 Megapixel CCD and Optical Image Stabilizer for shake-free shooting. Plus, the DIGIC III Image Processor with advanced Face Detection, Face Selector Button and Red-eye Correction assure superb results every time. Auto ISO Shift and ISO 1600 make low light shooting easy. The large Mode Dial lets you select Scene Modes or full manual control effortlessly.

* Manufacturer: Canon, Inc
* Manufacturer Part Number: 2420B001
* Manufacturer Website Address: www.canonusa.com
* Product Name: PowerShot SX100 IS Digital Camera
* Product Type: Digital Camera
* Display Screen: 2.5" Active Matrix TFT Color LCD 172 Kilopixels p-Si (PolySilicon)
* Effective Resolution: 8.0 Megapixels
* Total Resolution: 8.3 Megapixels
* Aspect Ratio: 16:9
* Image Formats: JPEG
* Video Formats: AVI
* Audio Formats: WAV
* Lens Type:

Focal Length: 6.0 - 60mm (35mm Equivalent: 36 - 360mm)
* Optical Zoom: 10x
* Digital Zoom: 4x
* Image Stabilization: Optical
* Focus Modes: Auto Focus
* Flash Modes: Auto Flash
* Viewfinder Type: LCD
* Storage Media: 1 x MultiMediaCard (MMC) Supported, 1 x 16MB Secure Digital (SD) Card Included
* Interfaces/Ports: 1 x USB
* Batteries: 2 x AA Alkaline Included
* Color: Black
* Dimensions: 2.81" Height x 4.28" Width x 1.84" Depth
* Weight: 9.35 oz - Camera body only

Shipping: Leaves our warehouse in 1-3 business days.*

Model No: 2420B001
Dimensions: 8.5x6.2x2.7

It is a very good camera. Many of the features as the Lumix DMC-FZ50 at less than half the price. the drawbacks are:

Will not be able to catch moving objects as well.

No good in the video mode

Will gobble up batteries like popcorn

You would be disappointed in it. I would say your current FUJI is at least comparable too it. Scratch this one off. I don't see where you would get any more from it than what your current camera does.

جوري
01-04-2008, 01:50 AM
found it here for $319
http://www.techondigital.com/product...ductid=dmcfz50

which is actually cheaper than I paid for my Fuji, I think if I can find the original box, I'll re-sell it on ebay and get this one insha'Allah without a great financial loss, but I am not sure with ebay it can really go in any number of directions lol

Woodrow
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
eliminate this one.

Canon EOS Rebel 30D 8MP Digital SLR Camera

It is a fantastic camera. at a high price. With the exception of better video, larger batter, for longer usage between charges. and with the 4 gig card should be able to take 1 hour videos It has nothing over the Lumix DMC-FZ50 . If you were a professional photographer the SLR would be it's selling point. But, I doubt if that is something that would ever need.

Over all the Lumix DMC-FZ50 has all of the features you really want. Even if both were the same price I would say go for the Lumix DMC-FZ50

Canon EOS Rebel 30D 8MP Digital SLR Camera Kit

* Ideal digital camera for the serious photographer
* Canon 8.2-megapixel CMOS image sensor resolution
* EOS 30D digital camera features DiGIC II image processing
* 2.5-inch LCD monitor
* True spot metering
* Durable new shutter mechanism
* Canon Picture Style feature
* Magnesium-clad body
* User-selectable high-speed and low-speed continuous shooting at 5 fps or 3 fps - up to 30 (JPEG), 11 (RAW) or 9 (RAW+JPEG) consecutive frames when set at 5 fps and fast 0.15-second startup time
* Impressive 9-point wide-area AF with a dual precision sensor at the center
* One-touch direct printing and improved PictBridge features, including more custom print effects and printing with shooting information
* Fully compatible with all EF and EF-S lenses and a wide range of EOS system accessories

Accessories include:

* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
* VC-100 video cable
* IFC-400PCU USB interface cable
* BP-511A battery pack
* CG-580 battery charger
* EOS digital solution disk
* Printed instruction manual

Bonus Kit includes:

* 4GB CompactFlash memory card
* Extra rechargeable battery
* 55-inch tripod
* Carrying case
* 3-piece filter kit
* 5-piece cleaning kit

جوري
01-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Lumix DMC-FZ50 it is insha'Allah
Jazaka Allah khyran for all your help akhi

Woodrow
01-04-2008, 02:51 AM
the only thing you will want to go with it is a couple oc SD cards. The site you showed has them, but too high. they have them at over stock for less than half.

I would say get 2 of the 1 gig and one 2 gig for videos. The 2 one gig will give you plenty of space for lots of pict. the 2 gig will hold about 30 minutes of videos. they have a 4 gig. but I am not certain if the camera would be able to handle it. the 4 gig are new on the market and many cameras do not handle them well. It is the SD card you want. the Scan disk work fine.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics.../2049/cat.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.