/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Livingstone gets Muslim backing

Uthman
01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
A Muslim group is backing Ken Livingstone to be re-elected as mayor of London.

The British Muslim Initiative said it was in the best interest of Muslims to vote for him in the 1 May elections.

It praised the mayor for his continued support of a multicultural society and for protecting Muslim communities against racism and Islamophobia.

Mr Livingstone's Tory rival Boris Johnson said he was not worried about the statement of support.

A document signed by 63 main Muslim organisations and figureheads who represent the overwhelming majority of Muslims in London said Mr Livingstone had been "an outstanding mayor of London".

Proudest achievements

"He has enhanced London's standing in the world and helped improve the lives of all of the city's communities."

Mr Livingstone said: "One of my proudest achievements is that over the last seven years racist attacks in London have fallen by almost 60%.

"The fundamental basis of London's openness and choice is that every Londoner should be able to live their life as they freely chose with the sole condition that they do not prevent others doing the same."

Mr Johnson said he was "not remotely worried" by the statement of support and warned against "divide and rule" politics.

I am proud of my Muslim ancestry

Boris Johnson

"My grandfather was a Muslim and so was my great-grandfather. I am proud of my Muslim ancestry," he said.

"But I want to talk about the interests of Londoners. I don't care what religion they are. I want to look after people from all communities."

Liberal Democrat mayoral candidate Brian Paddick said: "London is a better place because it has a strong Muslim community.

"The best way to support minority communities and to create a more united London is not by taking sides and creating controversy, as Ken Livingstone has done, but by promoting everyone's right to live in peaceful coexistence with each other, whatever they believe, provided they do not harm others."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I would like to ask, is it possible for muslims to vote on someone who support homosexual marriages and abortion?

Whatsthepoint
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
"The fundamental basis of London's openness and choice is that every Londoner should be able to live their life as they freely chose with the sole condition that they do not prevent others doing the same."
From wikipedia:
Minorities

In 2001 Livingstone revived the free Anti-racism Music festival now called Rise: London United. He claims that this, along with other anti-racist policies are the reason why London has seen a 35% decrease in racist attacks.[29]

In 2001 Livingstone set up Britain's first register for gay couples; while falling short of legal marriage rights, the register was seen as a "step towards" that equality. Legal status was later passed by the government thorough the Civil Partnership Act 2004.[30]

In September 2005 Livingstone came out in support for the placing of a statue to Nelson Mandela, the former President of South Africa, on the north terrace of Trafalgar Square. Livingstone said "There can be no better place than our greatest square to place a statue of Nelson Mandela so that every generation can remind the next of the fight against racism."[31] He was highly critical of the Planning and City Development Committee of Westminster City Council who refused planning permission.

Livingstone hosted a Jewish Hanukkah ceremony at City Hall in December 2005. He said he intended this to be an annual occurrence.[32][33] On March 17, 2002 Livingstone introduced an annual Saint Patrick's Day festival to London to celebrate the contributions of the Irish to London, with around 250,000 people annually turning out for this.[34] On October 28, 2006 he helped organise the first ever "Eid in the Square" in Trafalgar Square, in commemoration of the Eid ul-Fitr festival which marks the end of Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting.

Fishman
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
I would like to ask, is it possible for muslims to vote on someone who support homosexual marriages and abortion?
:sl:
It's better than voting for somebody who supports homosexual marriages and abortion and also wants to ban the headscarf and throw Muslims out the country.

Besides, Livingstone is a good guy. Last time I went to London there were all these orange anti-racism flags everywhere with 'we are one' written on them...
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ummzayd
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
It's better than voting for somebody who supports homosexual marriages and abortion and also wants to ban the headscarf and throw Muslims out the country.

Besides, Livingstone is a good guy. Last time I went to London there were all these orange anti-racism flags everywhere with 'we are one' written on them...

the lesser of two evils about sums it up. also, my 9 yr old travels free on tubes and buses these days, for which I give credit to Ken (as since his GLC days he was really hot on cheap public transport) although I could be wrong? and I appreciated his support for Qaradawi when he was being blasted by the media.

Uthman
01-05-2008, 09:03 AM
In the Shari'ah, there is a principle called the lesser of two evils.

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) said, "The Shari'ah has been revealed to obtain all possible benefits and to prevent as much harm as possible and reduce it. Its aim is to produce the best possible scenario from two good options if both cannot be achieved together, and to ward off the worst of two evils if both evils cannot be prevented."

Source

Uthman
03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
London mayoral nominations close

Nominations have closed for the London mayoral contest.

Labour mayor Ken Livingstone will run for his third term, challenged by Conservative Boris Johnson and Liberal Democrat Brian Paddick.

Among others expected to run are those representing the Greens, BNP, UKIP, the Left List and Christian Choice.

Nominations closed at 1200 GMT and a full list of candidates is expected soon. Londoners will cast their votes on 1 May.

Candidates had to pay a £10,000 deposit, refundable if they get 5% of first choice votes, and secure 330 backers - 10 from each London borough and the City.

'Effectively barred'

On Thursday London Assembly member Damian Hockney withdrew from the mayoral race, blaming a lack of media coverage for smaller parties.

He said it was "nothing to do with" a fear of losing his £10,000 deposit and complained that smaller groups were "effectively barred" from certain types of campaigning.

Among other small parties who have said they will have a candidate are the English Democrats, the Senior Citizens' Party, Stop the Congestion Charge party and New Britain.

If none of the mayoral candidates gets more than 50% of votes at the first count, all but the top two candidates are knocked out and their second preference votes shared out.

Several candidates are also standing for a seat on the London Assembly, made up of 14 constituency members and 11 on the London-wide "top up" list - elected by proportional representation.

Source

qassy!
04-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Inshallah Ken Livingstone will win. I want him to! Go Ken!

Muezzin
04-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone but Boris.

Keltoi
04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
British politics...maybe its a bad thing that many non-Americans seem to know atleast an inkling of American politics...but I know next to nothing about the British, except who the Prime Minister is...:(

Amadeus85
04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Anyone but Boris.
Why not him?:?

qassy!
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Why not him?:?
bnp. they hate muslims.!

Muezzin
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
bnp. they hate muslims.!
Actually, he's a Conservative.

But let me put it this way - I'm probably more competent to be the mayor of London than he is, and I have no political background and do not live in London.

glo
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
bnp. they hate muslims.!
Please check your facts before making statements such as this.
Boris Johnson may be a bumbling fool, but he is not from the BNP.

As Muezzin already said, he is from the Conservative Party.

Idris
04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Ken Livingstone is like Marmite, you either love him or hate him. Boris Johnson is a complete fool, I wouldn't trust him to run me a bath, let alone London. His tendency to espouse distasteful remarks will come back to haunt him. And by the way, Ken Livingstone is only playing the race card because he has been allowed to by Boris Johnson's astonishing on the record comments.

Put this way they are both fat cats waiting food.
Boris being a bit fatter.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.