/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Increased Muslim participation in this year's Election

Uthman
01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
A prominent national Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization today launched an effort designed to increase Muslim participation in this year's state and national elections.

The initiative by the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) includes a website and handbook intended to encourage civic participation and empower Muslims to play a more effective role in the political process.

The CAIR 2008 election website provides the latest news and opinions relating to Muslims and elections nationwide. It also includes positions of the presidential canditates on key issues, examples of anti-Muslim rhetoric from candidates for all levels of public office and links to the websites of Muslims running for public office.

SEE: CAIR 2008 Election
http://crm.cair.com/site/R?i=DSPIQ_-QfLo7sMn5g4dY5A..

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
01-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Everyone is working on bringing out the vote.

My bet is voter turn out for this US election will set records.

The_Prince
01-04-2008, 11:13 PM
vote ron paul.

Cognescenti
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
vote ron paul.
Prince made a funny :D

He will get some votes (chiefly isolationist Libertarians). I think he got <10% in Iowa. I dont think that will be enough.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
01-05-2008, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Prince made a funny :D

He will get some votes (chiefly isolationist Libertarians). I think he got <10% in Iowa. I dont think that will be enough.
he wont win, but its not about winning, it is about starting something big which he will indeed do, he broke the records in terms of funding etc, and he is getting more and more popular by the day,,,,the revolution has just begun as they say.

snakelegs
01-05-2008, 12:22 AM
you're more optimistic than i am. :unhappy:

The_Prince
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Look on the Bright Side Ron Paul Supporters

Gambling 911
Friday January 4, 2008

Ron Paul didn't win in Iowa Thursday night and he didn't even come in third or fourth place. But there is some good news that the long time Congressman and his supporters can take away from Iowa....

1. Ron Paul got 10&#37; of the vote and was within striking distance of both John McCain and Fred Thompson, the later of whom is likely to drop out of the race after New Hampshire.

2. Ron Paul came in third place in Johnson County, which perhaps has the closest demographics to that of New Hampshire. It is home to the progressive college town of Iowa City, full of young voters who Paul's campaign is reliant on. 3. He beat Rudy Giuliani by a landslide and Giuliani is considered the frontrunner nationally. And like Rudy Giuliani, Ron Paul did not focus as aggressively on the state of Iowa.

4. Wolf Blitzer of CNN called Ron Paul's showing "impressive".

5. With McCain and Thompson tied for 3rd, Ron Paul technically came in 4th place.

6. There were some counties in Iowa where Ron Paul excelled.

7. Iowa is not an Internet state and the inquiries coming in for Ron Paul (and Internet traffic in general) is not very heavy from Iowa. The great news is that the most significant search inquiries for Ron Paul were coming in from Texas, California, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Tennessee, Massachusetts and California.

He vowed Thursday night to continue his presidential campaign into New Hampshire and other states.

``This is not the end. This is the beginning,'' the Texas congressman told a boisterous gathering of about 150 people at a downtown Des Moines hotel.

The crowd interrupted Paul at times, chanting ``Live free or die'' and ``Ron Paul.''

``I am more encouraged than ever before,'' he said.

Cognescenti
01-05-2008, 03:53 AM
I suspect you guys like Paul because of his isiolationist stance. That is the classic Libertarian position. Libertarians have been around for a long time in the US. Many of their ideas are completely in line with mine....except for national defence. :)

The problem comes for Libertarians when people begin to understand they really want government out of their lives...no public education, no agriculture subsidies, no anti-smoking campaigns....etc etc

3 very strong prowar candidates among the Republicans got more votes than Paul. That doesn't bode well for him. He has no chance. I will donate $1000 dollars to the Holyland Foundation (a Muslim charity) if Ron Paul wins the Presidency. :laugh:

Qingu
01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
If Barack Obama wins, do you guys think Muslims worldwide will be willing to give America a second chance?

wilberhum
01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu
If Barack Obama wins, do you guys think Muslims worldwide will be willing to give America a second chance?
Why Barack Obama? Do you think he will do anything for Muslims?

NoName55
01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
If Barack Obama wins
the very idea gives me spine chills

Cognescenti
01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
"Second chance"? Why would we want a second chance? The slightest hint that a candidate has to or even desires to apologize to the world would doom his candidacy..

Cognescenti
01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
the very idea gives me spine chills
Me too, though perhaps for a different reason :) It is fun to see him beat Hillary.

In a dirty political trick, the Clinton campaign has been attacking Obama because he went to a madrasa in Indonesia.

Lina
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Just look at the guy's name:
Barack - Iraq
Obama - Osama.

What are the odds?

I'm serious, what are the odds? Like 1/20.000000 ?

btw mods; this is not, I repeat NOT a conspiracy theory, it's the truth man.

wilberhum
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina
Just look at the guy's name:
Barack - Iraq
Obama - Osama.

What are the odds?

I'm serious, what are the odds? Like 1/20.000000 ?

btw mods; this is not, I repeat NOT a conspiracy theory, it's the truth man.
So far it looks like you got the odds wrong. :D

You are just making assumptions on American Bias.:thumbs_do

I have never seen an association between Barack and Iraq :uuh: and Americans don't have any problem with 90% of the Iraqis. :shade:

Obama - Osama? Now that is really dumb. :playing:

Qingu
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Why Barack Obama? Do you think he will do anything for Muslims?
I think Obama is probably going to win the Democratic nomination, and hopefully the election.

As for what he'll do for Muslims, he is one of the few candidates who opposed the Iraq War from the beginning. He also said he'll immediately begin withdrawing troops from Iraq. I'm of course skeptical (since he's a politician and even the politicians I like are liars), but out of all the major candidates he seems the most anti-war.

It seems like Muslims' major beef with America is our imperialistic and militaristic foreign policy. (Well, that and Israel.) I am just hoping that Muslims worldwide will realize that America is not Bush.

Qingu
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
"Second chance"? Why would we want a second chance? The slightest hint that a candidate has to or even desires to apologize to the world would doom his candidacy..
I think it would be wonderful if he apologized for the previous administration's terrible foreign policy. Why is it so important that America project an image of infallibility? Most people's problem with us deals with our hubris and aggressiveness. An apology would go a long way to defuse that hatred.

Granted, I don't think he'll actually apologize explicitly if he wins. But his foreign policy seems a reversal of Bush's. and he's publically condemned it.

snakelegs
01-05-2008, 10:41 PM
i don't think he's that much better than clinton. he did oppose the iraq invasion, but he seems quite comfortable with the thought of bombing pakistan and invading iran.

NoName55
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't think he's that much better than Clinton. he did oppose the iraq invasion, but he seems quite comfortable with the thought of bombing Pakistan and invading Iran.
My dad thought that if Obama wins, he(obama) will bring about the Armageddon to prove -- to those who mocked his name and background -- that he is whiter than white and more Catholic than the pope

snakelegs
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
i don't like either obama or clinton.
i won't pick between the lesser of 2 evils.

جوري
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I know what you mean.. I have never been interested much in voting for obvious reasons, but can't help wonder if the Muslims decided to vote for a change how it would influence or change the outcome..

peace!

wilberhum
01-06-2008, 01:07 AM
You don't have to. Vote for Edwards. :D

snakelegs
01-06-2008, 01:49 AM
the only ones i find remotely palatable have no chance whatsoever.

Cognescenti
01-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I think it would be wonderful if he apologized for the previous administration's terrible foreign policy. Why is it so important that America project an image of infallibility? Most people's problem with us deals with our hubris and aggressiveness. An apology would go a long way to defuse that hatred.

Granted, I don't think he'll actually apologize explicitly if he wins. But his foreign policy seems a reversal of Bush's. and he's publically condemned it.
Who said anything about infalliability? I am talking about political reality. To whom would he apologize...the Kurds..nope...Iraqi Shia..nope...the French..not with Sarkozy in power....the Danes?...nope, they clearly "get it" now....the Brits?..nope.....the Dutch?..nope.....Hussein?...ummm...no....the Taliban perhaps? Ok..we apologize to the Taliban.

You want an apology..tell the next President to whom to apologize.

Cognescenti
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
I think Obama is probably going to win the Democratic nomination, and hopefully the election.

As for what he'll do for Muslims, he is one of the few candidates who opposed the Iraq War from the beginning. He also said he'll immediately begin withdrawing troops from Iraq. I'm of course skeptical (since he's a politician and even the politicians I like are liars), but out of all the major candidates he seems the most anti-war.

It seems like Muslims' major beef with America is our imperialistic and militaristic foreign policy. (Well, that and Israel.) I am just hoping that Muslims worldwide will realize that America is not Bush.
He can say whatever he wants when he is a candidate but if, as President, he knew that an abrupt US withdrawal would precipitate all-out civil war in Iraq....what then?

BTW...as we apparently have an "empire" according to you...please suggest which Muslim "colony" of the US we should evacuate.

north_malaysian
01-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Maybe American Muslims can create something powerful like AIPAC.

Zarmina
01-06-2008, 05:17 AM
If Obama wins the Democratic nomination, the Republicans will win the presidency. Most Americans will never vote for a black guy to become their president. Even if by some miracle he does get elected, he will probably be shot and killed - that's one of the main reasons why Colin Powell never ran for president.

snakelegs
01-06-2008, 05:23 AM
do you really think obama is all that radical? a danger to the status quo?
to me neither clinton or obama are different enough from bush.
personally, i consider race and gender totally irrelevant. the bush type mentality comes in all shades. if you doubt it, look at condoleeza rice.

Intisar
01-06-2008, 05:28 AM
I think the Dems are doing something very risky by putting up a woman and an African American man up for election, do you really think America's ready for that? Besides, I believe that this election will probably prove to be one of the most controversial in the history of the US of A. Anyone watch 20/20 yesterday? Apparently candidates were sending phone calls to voters pretending to find statistics when in fact they're just trying to sabotage another candidate. Dirty business eh!

adeeb
01-06-2008, 05:37 AM
In a dirty political trick, the Clinton campaign has been attacking Obama because he went to a madrasa in Indonesia.
yes he used to live in Indonesia... that's why i like him... hehehe :D

if u want to vote for clinton,
what do u think about the hadeeth that told us it's not good to have a woman as a leader of Men and Women....??? :?:?

and guys, many scholar said that democracy today is out of Islam, so will u vote on the election...??? :?

just curious...

:statisfie

جوري
01-06-2008, 06:14 AM
no woman, and no african american will win, the man who takes office will be a WASP.. I personally don't think 'cognoscente' gives a D A M N if he is lead by a woman based on islamic jurisprudence, and personally I am not going to vote, I can't speak for other Muslims..
voting somehow seems to make you target for Jury duty and I seem to be constantly dodging those on yearly basis..

:w:

snakelegs
01-06-2008, 06:17 AM
i think we get too distracted by the packaging.
i see condi rice as a WASP, for all practical purposes.

NoName55
01-06-2008, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
yes he used to live in Indonesia... that's why i like him... hehehe :D

if u want to vote for clinton,
what do u think about the hadeeth that told us it's not good to have a woman as a leader of Men and Women....??? :?:?

and guys, many scholar said that democracy today is out of Islam, so will u vote on the election...??? :?

just curious...

:statisfie
if you are such a great Muhadith and scholar you would also know Ahaadith about destruction of Ka'abah and other holy sites!

could you shed some light on that and the describe the man who will do it all?

thanx muchly in advance

جوري
01-06-2008, 06:19 AM
yeah :lol: I am sure many african americans can relate to that blood sucking lamia!

peace

Jayda
01-06-2008, 06:23 AM
i wish childrens healthcare were an issue...

adeeb
01-06-2008, 06:37 AM
if you are such a great Muhadith and scholar you would also know Ahaadith about destruction of Ka'abah and other holy sites!
i'm not a scholar tough, just knowledge seeker... like all of you, right?!
yes, i've read that in the sign ot the last day, that ka'bah will be destroyed and also other holy sites....

could you shed some light on that and the describe the man who will do it all?
in the hadeeth, Ka'bah will be destroyed by Dzu Suwaqaitain from Habasyah (Ethiopia) Shaheeh, in Musnad Imam Ahmad.

thanx muchly in advance
ure welcome...

snakelegs
01-06-2008, 06:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
i wish childrens healthcare were an issue...
maybe when haliburton and their ilk go into the children's healthcare industry....

Qingu
01-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Who said anything about infalliability? I am talking about political reality. To whom would he apologize...the Kurds..nope...Iraqi Shia..nope...the French..not with Sarkozy in power....the Danes?...nope, they clearly "get it" now....the Brits?..nope.....the Dutch?..nope.....Hussein?...ummm...no....the Taliban perhaps? Ok..we apologize to the Taliban.

You want an apology..tell the next President to whom to apologize.
To the citizens of Iraq and the soldiers of other countries who have risked their lives for an unjust war.

(Not to the Taliban, I think the war in Afghanistan was justified.)

He can say whatever he wants when he is a candidate but if, as President, he knew that an abrupt US withdrawal would precipitate all-out civil war in Iraq....what then?
Their problem. Always has been. Do you honestly think our presence in Iraq is making civil war less likely?

BTW...as we apparently have an "empire" according to you...please suggest which Muslim "colony" of the US we should evacuate.
Oh, please. We invaded Iraq to remake it in our own image. It was never going to be a "colony" in the old imperial sense, but in modern globalized capitalism colonies are unnecessary.

As much as I dislike Islam and Islamic polities throughout the world, Cognescenti, it was the height of hubris to assume that we could simply replace this worldview with liberalism through military action. When Bush proposed his stupid invasion, half of America saw through his lies and knew exactly what it was and exactly what would happen in Iraq. It was always a crass attempt to spread our influence and ideology through war—if that's not "imperialism" in a specific sense, it certainly is in a broad one.

snakelegs
01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb

just curious...
i'm not sure but if you're asking whether or not muslims should vote - it seems like there are differing opinions on this. here is one:
http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...tml#post507348

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.