/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and chat rooms

Godless Heathen
01-04-2008, 10:30 PM
So in islam, you aren't allowed to be with the opposite sex unless you're married or something right? How do chat rooms and come into this? That gives young people a medium to to get to know which each other without technically being with each other, so it's similar to hanging out. Is that a loophole or allowed or what?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Godless Heathen
So in islam, you aren't allowed to be with the opposite sex unless you're married or something right? How do chat rooms and come into this? That gives young people a medium to to get to know which each other without technically being with each other, so it's similar to hanging out. Is that a loophole or allowed or what?
There are no loopholes in major religions. They've got an answer to everything.

chacha_jalebi
01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
There are no loopholes in major religions. They've got an answer to everything.
well thats a rather controversial comment aint it whatty

now if a religion says X and the followers do Z, who is too blame the religion or the followers? the FOLLOWERS

thats why they say never look at the followers look at the books and the religious laws :D

in islaam we discourage free mixing, so by going to a chatroom people are obviously going againist the religion, you cant blame the religion for that, blame the people

so there arent any loopholes

Whatsthepoint
01-04-2008, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
well thats a rather controversial comment aint it whatty

now if a religion says X and the followers do Z, who is too blame the religion or the followers? the FOLLOWERS

thats why they say never look at the followers look at the books and the religious laws :D

in islaam we discourage free mixing, so by going to a chatroom people are obviously going againist the religion, you cant blame the religion for that, blame the people

so there arent any loopholes
whatty, lol.:D
That's not what I meant. I meant major religions have answers to everything, from car tyres to chatrooms - there are no loopholes, that is there are no areas of live they do not have a ruling for.
I may be wrong in my definition of a loophole...
I didn't say wheter chatrooms are ok or banned. ICQ.com does have an isalmic chatroom though, I think...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Godless Heathen
01-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Aren't you all breaking islamic law on here? or are forums different or something?

Intisar
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Godless Heathen
Aren't you all breaking islamic law on here? or are forums different or something?
How so? Unless some people are engaging in free-mixing through conversations that are discouraged and haraam (not allowed) in Islam, then yes, but it's an individual's choice.

If you look at mosques or Islamic events, the two genders are segregated. And, if you look at this forum you'll see that we have a sister's and brother's section. Therefore, if someone's doing something wrong in Islam, then it's all on their own accord.

Thus, a Muslim should be blamed for their action(s) and not the whole religion. Makes sense eh?

czgibson
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Greetings,

Interesting question. I would guess it's something of a grey area, although Muslims of both sexes by and large do seem to be making good use of the internet for things that would perhaps have been more difficult before, chatting and using dating services and so on. Whether these things are haram or halal only an Islamic scholar could say, but from what I've seen here, conversations are allowed between members of opposite genders, but if there's any hint of flirting between Muslims then other members will normally step in with a reminder that it's frowned upon.

Hopefully some Muslim members will elaborate on this, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace

chacha_jalebi
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
^ yes obviously many of us may be aware and unawaringly chat unneccessarily with the opposite sex, but we should always remember islaam does not encourage this

this is exactly the same issue with the whole terrorism thing

in islaam when we greet each other we say salaam meaning peace, so how can such a religion encourage terrorism, when its greeting is peace?

like its said - dont judge a religion by its followers

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.