/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gprs

mohsen1985
01-05-2008, 06:01 PM
:sl:

From what I've read on wikipedia about GPRS

General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) is a Mobile Data Service available to users of Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) and IS-136 mobile phones. It provides data rates from 56 up to 114 Kbps.

GPRS data transfer is typically charged per kilobyte of transferred data, while data communication via traditional circuit switching is billed per minute of connection time, independent of whether the user has actually transferred data or has been in an idle state
I have come to the following conclusion:

Let's say that regular text SMS messages cost 25 cents and each text SMS message can be 200 characters long, each 1 KB which consists of 1024 characters also costs 25 cents.

Now we send 100 SMS messages via regular text SMS messages, and send 100 SMS messages via GPRS (having in mind that the messages are of different lenghts, let's say all of them put together come to 15,360 characters). From what I understand in the quote above, the SMS messages should add up to 25 dollars, and the GPRS SMS messages (since it counts KB as oppose to the number of messages) should add up to 15 dollars. So basically every 1024 characters sent by GPRS regardless of the number of messages it is scattered in should add up to the price of 5 text SMS messages.

Is this correct?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!