/* */

PDA

View Full Version : American Muslim Teenagers Handbook

aminahjaan
01-07-2008, 08:12 AM
:sl:There is a book called American Muslim Teenagers Handbook. Here are some excerpts that can be quite controversial, I however don't agree with it at all. I actually want to respond to this author girl and prove her wrong.
Alrighty then here we go..:

Page 21*

*NO one can force you to pray, remember no compulsion in religion but if you believe that God wants you to pray, then you will. Don't pray if you're doing it out of guilt or fear or parental pressure Pray because you want to.
*Being a Muslim is a State of Mind...

Page 24-25

*If you are only able to pray once or twice a day, or even once or twice a week, but you really concentrate on your prayer and truly try to honor God, then who is to say that you are less pious or 'Good' then someone who prays five times a day but does it unthinkingly out of habit.

*So you only have to log on occasionally

-My point of view so far- Ask ourselves, if you truly honor God then you would pray five times a day...anyway back to the qoutes

*Page 84-85

*Does Islam forbid dating? How chaperoned the setting should be can depend on your culture and parents' preferences

*Is dating allowed if I stick to other Muslims? Dating between Muslims should theoretically be allowed as both parties are aware of their physical limits implied in the Quran. As long as your parents are aware that you are not doing anything wrong and your intentions are to get to know eachother better with the ultimate goal of marriage in mind, then go right ahead!(But please confirm it is okay with your parents!)

Page 96-97

*"Interestingly nowhere in the Quran does it emphatically state that women must cover their hair ...So according to the Quran, As long as Muslims dress modestly and behave respectably then specific dress code is required.

*The contreversy of hijab arises from a hadeeth

*Most scholars agree this is a weak hadeeth

-My point of view...UH READ SURAH NOOR
:)
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BlackMamba
01-14-2008, 02:16 AM
It saddens me to see a book like that, where is the Iman in our Muslim Teenagers now?

Muezzin
01-14-2008, 10:31 AM
What's controversial about the prayer one? It's not saying don't pray, it's saying make sure you pray for the right reasons, which is fine. If you regard prayer as a burden, you're not rewarded for it. If you're praying to please another person rather than Allah, you're committing a form of Shirk.

The other quotes are a lot more controversial.

crayon
01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I read about this book in a magazine.
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of inaccuracies (and by that i mean big false statements, like the ones you provided) in it.
It's a regular teenager's handbook. With a muslim twist.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
:salamext:

Not very nice. :-\

Dating between Muslims should theoretically be allowed as both parties are aware of their physical limits implied in the Quran. As long as your parents are aware that you are not doing anything wrong and your intentions are to get to know eachother better with the ultimate goal of marriage in mind, then go right ahead!(But please confirm it is okay with your parents!)
I'll give you GO RIGHT AHEAD.... :muddlehea

adeeb
01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla

Page 24-25

*If you are only able to pray once or twice a day, or even once or twice a week, but you really concentrate on your prayer and truly try to honor God, then who is to say that you are less pious or 'Good' then someone who prays five times a day but does it unthinkingly out of habit.
this is really wrong, and whoever wrote this is need to be told that leaving prayer once in situation you know that's prayer is obligatory 5 times daily make you out of islam...i hope she will repent to Allah...

format_quote Originally Posted by aminahgorilla

Page 96-97

*"Interestingly nowhere in the Quran does it emphatically state that women must cover their hair ...So according to the Quran, As long as Muslims dress modestly and behave respectably then specific dress code is required.

*The contreversy of hijab arises from a hadeeth

*Most scholars agree this is a weak hadeeth
and this one too...wow.. which scholar said that?? and which WEAK hadeeth??

All scholar believe that a muslim woman must cover their body..
the controversy is about face and hands...a muslim woman should cover or not...

aminahjaan
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
What's controversial about the prayer one? It's not saying don't pray, it's saying make sure you pray for the right reasons, which is fine. If you regard prayer as a burden, you're not rewarded for it. If you're praying to please another person rather than Allah, you're committing a form of Shirk.

The other quotes are a lot more controversial.

But remember, this book is directed toward youth. Which is me, and most people I know wouldn't read between the lines on this one, rather take advantage and pray 2 times a week! You're supposed to encourage the five daily prayers!

chacha_jalebi
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
whateverrrrrrrr @ the book :D

aminahjaan
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
whateverrrrrrrr @ the book :D
I know right? I just wish I could do something, because people I know have read it and they have grown quiet fond of it. I on the other hand, realllyy disagree with some of it. Some of the major issues they are covering seems to have no knowledge behind it but just opinions...anyways, the book was published where I live, but it is nation wide, many magazines actually approve it, why? Because it somewhat relieves their idea of extremists and are delighted by the attempt to modernize Islam (Astughfirullah).
Idk, I'm pretty sad about it ...

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 12:14 AM
GOOD PART: It is an attempt to reach Muslim youth in America. It was a 5 year effort by 2 teens trying to do something constructive for Islam.

BAD PART: It contains inaccuracies and is modernizing Islam to agree with American Teenagers.

My overall opinion. I believe it is opening the door for bona fide Islamic literature and books in America. It can be the start of excellent teaching aides for Muslims born in the USA to become acquainted with how they can practice their faith. I believe it is time for a follow-up more accurate book to be done designed for American teens. An excellent project for knowledgeable scholars to partake of. There is a need for this type of book and if that need is not filled by knowing people, it will be filled by those less qualified.

MM1
01-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Well said, Woodrow - kudos to this brave family for trying to dispel misconceptions about Muslims. Sounds like plenty of non-Muslims are also picking up the book! Instead of being so critical, I wish their fellow Muslims would applaud their efforts & be inspired to also contribute their perspective. No one agrees completely w/ someone else's opinion, but the authors have plenty of praise from Muslim scholars & professors on their website - why not check out the book for yourself rather than just judge it by other's comments??

MM1
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Just received this article from my friend in Arizona - apparently the teen authors are receiving the Dr. Martin Luther King award from the City of Phoenix on Jan. 18 at the annual MLk Awards Breakfast! The theme of the celebration is 'Standing Up For Justice' - v. apt in today's climate of Islamophobia that the City of Phoenix has chosen to reward these teens. Here's the link in case anyone is interested...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...0116hafiz.html

My wife & kids really admire this effort by young Muslims to help promote a better perception of Islam in America - I personally think the book can be of huge service as a good intro to Islam.

truemuslim
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
hehe im a american muslim teen and this book is makin me go dooown...no offence sis but i am not gonna read that.. it seems...

Mikayeel
01-16-2008, 10:22 PM
OOH MY DEAR LORD, i feared this... they are trying to bring down islam by starting with the young people(because they are the future) this is REALLY bad news:( , because sadly alot of young people will go along with this *"£($"*£&*!!!! book...

truemuslim
01-17-2008, 12:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
OOH MY DEAR LORD, i feared this... they are trying to bring down islam by starting with the young people(because they are the future) this is REALLY bad news:( , because sadly alot of young people will go along with this *"£($"*£&*!!!! book...
lol yeah thats true...thats y i dunt care bout it... my faith is already better than what they r saying y would i try to make it lower? oh yah this book is defidentaly bull****. :w:

aminahjaan
01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MM1
Just received this article from my friend in Arizona - apparently the teen authors are receiving the Dr. Martin Luther King award from the City of Phoenix on Jan. 18 at the annual MLk Awards Breakfast! The theme of the celebration is 'Standing Up For Justice' - v. apt in today's climate of Islamophobia that the City of Phoenix has chosen to reward these teens. Here's the link in case anyone is interested...

www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/0114phx-mlk0116hafiz.html

My wife & kids really admire this effort by young Muslims to help promote a better perception of Islam in America - I personally think the book can be of huge service as a good intro to Islam.

there is a difference between a goal and reality. It's an effort not a success and I'm critiquing it because I love my religion, and I hate misconceptions in it/. :\

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.