shible
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
:sl:

This is a sad news for indians. here is the news

Enlarge Photo

By Reuters
Tuesday January 8, 09:58 PM

By Jalil Hamid

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia has suspended the recruitment of workers from India and Bangladesh, the government said on Tuesday, in a move one official said could be linked to a recent uproar about Malaysia's treatment of its ethnic Indians.

The ban, which took effect on Dec. 31, 2007, could further strain India-Malaysian relations after some Indian politicians sympathised with ethnic Indians who complained they had been marginalised by the Malay-majority government.

"The cabinet decided about two weeks ago to freeze the intake of workers from India and Bangladesh," a Home Ministry official told Reuters.
"Those already in the country will not have their work permits renewed," he said. "The ruling applies to all workers, including expatriates."
The news came as Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony ended a three-day visit aimed at boosting defence ties.

Other ministry officials confirmed the ban but gave no reason. The government had said in October it was trying to determine exactly how many foreign workers the country needed.

"Frankly speaking, we have got enough workers," Works Minister S. Samy Vellu, the only ethnic Indian minister in the cabinet, said on the sidelines of a conference in New Delhi.

"The government decided it is enough and we don't want to recruit any more because we have enough workers. Is it wrong?

Malaysia also decided on Tuesday to ban foreign workers at all major airports in the country, state news agency Bernama reported, citing Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak.

Najib said the ban must be complied with as soon as possible, although the government realised that companies carrying out various works at the airports had to make some adjustments.

"We will issue rulings to Malaysia Airports Bhd to ensure that the workers are Malaysian citizens," he said.

Latest figures up to last Sept. 30 show Malaysia was home to about 2.2 million legal foreign workers, with 35 percent employed in factories and 17 percent in plantations.

Indonesians made up the highest number at around 60 percent, followed by Nepalese (11 percent), Bangladeshis (9 percent) and Indians (7 percent), government data showed.

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono was due to visit Malaysia on Friday, seeking to smooth relations between the two neighbours following disputes over cultural theft and ill-treatment of migrant workers.

"DRASTIC STEP"

Indians are mainly employed in restaurants and in the construction, information technology and financial services industries.
The Indian government said it had no immediate comment but some Indian professionals said they were upset.

"They (the Malaysian government) should not take such drastic steps. They should recognise the contribution made by Indian workers and professionals in the economic growth of the country," said one Indian professional who declined to be named.

A Malaysian inter-faith group criticised the ban, which it said would hit the intake of foreign priests and temple workers.

"This sudden decision without any dialogue or consultation with us is unprecedented," said A. Vaithilingam, president of the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism.
Relations between India and Malaysia have been hurt by recent allegations of discrimination against the ethnic Indian community in this Southeast Asian country.

Ethnic Indians held a mass anti-government protest in November, alleging that the authorities had sidelined the community under an affirmative action policy that favours the majority ethnic Malays.

Some Indian politicians, including Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee, voiced concern for the ethnic Indians.

Around 7 percent of Malaysia's 26 million people are ethnic Indians, whose forefathers were brought over as labourers by British colonial rulers.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/080108/137/6pcnd.html

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AFDAL
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice and fine and good - now the Tamil Hindus will not be able to bashed against the Muslims. Since I am from India - and living in europe - so I very often come in contact with Tamil Hindus , but when ever they come to know that I am from India , they jump on to the topic of " Anti Muslim " , they start laughing and say that all the stuff with are anti Muslim in nature. But when they come to know that I am a Muslim from India, OHHHHH this is the moment to see them. Alhamdulillahi I am Muslim - and when ever I see and think about them the Tamil Hindus - I get pity about how they are being opressed by their own Tamil brahmins !!!!!!

ricardo_sousa
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
So, Malaysia is official having a racist politic?

NoName55
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ricardo_sousa
how do you come to that conclusion from "Malaysia bans intake of India workers" ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ricardo_sousa
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
how do you come to that conclusion from "Malaysia bans intake of India workers" ?
I actually read the article, not only the title... you should try and do the same.

north_malaysian
01-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Why suddenly lots of crazy news came out from Malaysia?

The answer is - General Election is getting nearer.

And the crazy thing is that nobody knew the election date but the Prime Minister...

Why the government want to ban Indian workers.... nobody knows... and nobody cares... why.... Malaysians are having cooking oil shortage... which is more important than immigrant issues.

KAding
01-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Am I missing something here. What is 'racist' about it?

north_malaysian
01-09-2008, 11:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible

Around 7 percent of Malaysia's 26 million people are ethnic Indians, whose forefathers were brought over as labourers by British colonial rulers.
This statement is not entirely true... yes most of the Indians are low caste south Indians brought over by British to work in rubber and tea plantations. But there is a substantial number of Malaysian Indians who migrated to Malaysia on their own as traders, money-lenders, professionals etc. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of the "Malay" majority having Indian ancestry too. For example, our former Prime Minister has Malayalee ancestry and our current Minister of Information has Tamil ancestry. But as both of them are Muslims and speak Malay Language... they're considered to be "Malays". That's why they're admitted to be members of ultra-nationalist party like UMNO.

NoName55
01-09-2008, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Am I missing something here. What is 'racist' about it?
yup me too (I thought all countries were allowed to limit intake of guest workers without simpletons labeling them)

ricardo_sousa
01-09-2008, 11:44 PM

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia has suspended the recruitment of workers from India and Bangladesh, the government said on Tuesday, in a move one official said could be linked to a recent uproar about Malaysia's treatment of its ethnic Indians.

The ban, which took effect on Dec. 31, 2007, could further strain India-Malaysian relations after some Indian politicians sympathised with ethnic Indians who complained they had been marginalised by the Malay-majority government.

(...)

"DRASTIC STEP"

(...)

"This sudden decision without any dialogue or consultation with us is unprecedented," said A. Vaithilingam, president of the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism.
Relations between India and Malaysia have been hurt by recent allegations of discrimination against the ethnic Indian community in this Southeast Asian country.

Ethnic Indians held a mass anti-government protest in November, alleging that the authorities had sidelined the community under an affirmative action policy that favours the majority ethnic Malays.

Some Indian politicians, including Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee, voiced concern for the ethnic Indians.

it is this where a see some racial tensions also in the question. But anyway I put a question, not a statement, because I want information from a Malaysian actually, not a radical mullah from Pakistan or elsewhere.

north_malaysian
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Samy Vellu: No truth to claims

NEW DELHI: Datuk Seri S. Samy Velu has denied foreign wire reports that Malaysia had frozen the intake of workers from India.

"There is no truth in the report," the Works Minister and MIC (MAlaysian Indian Congress) President said here last night. He said he had spoken to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi and Human Resource Minister Datuk Seri Fong Chan Onn on the matter.

More than 50 pressmen waited for clarification on the issue after a wire agency reported the "freeze" on Indian workers.

Later, Indian Minister for Overseas Affairs, Vyalar Ravi said there was a memorandum of understanding between Malaysia and India on the recruitment of foreign workers and it still stood.

It is believed that the issue arose after the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism and Taoism urged the government to reconsider a decision to stop issuing permits for new applications for Hindu priests, temple musicians and sculptors.

In Kuala Lumpur, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, when asked about the appeal, said: "They can send a letter to me. I'll see what they have written."

Source: The Star, 09.01.2008, page N3

syilla
01-09-2008, 11:56 PM
This probably from the hindraf...they really love to create havoc.

north_malaysian
01-09-2008, 11:58 PM
it is this where a see some racial tensions also in the question. But anyway I put a question, not a statement, because I want information from a Malaysian actually, not a radical mullah from Pakistan or elsewhere.
These racial tensions exist among the politicians only. For us ordinary Malaysians, we have no racial problems. My clerk is a Hindu, we dont discriminate her and she's happy working as usual.

When I went to Indian Muslim restaurant, there were Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists etc eating together in one place.

We still saying "hi" to our Hindu neighbours and vice versa.

wilberhum
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
These racial tensions exist among the politicians only. For us ordinary Malaysians, we have no racial problems. My clerk is a Hindu, we dont discriminate her and she's happy working as usual.

When I went to Indian Muslim restaurant, there were Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists etc eating together in one place.

We still saying "hi" to our Hindu neighbours and vice versa.
I love stories like this. It shows the "Best" of humanity. :peace:

north_malaysian
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
This probably from the hindraf...they really love to create havoc.
I dont like the lies they spread about Malaysian Muslims... I never heard of any "Malays" ethnic-cleansing the Indians.... It's ridiculous.

syilla
01-10-2008, 12:20 AM
I dont like the lies they spread about Malaysian Muslims... I never heard of any "Malays" ethnic-cleansing the Indians.... It's ridiculous.
I think they are envy of the indian muslims...

ricardo_sousa
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
These racial tensions exist among the politicians only. For us ordinary Malaysians, we have no racial problems.

good to know. :smile:

north_malaysian
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
I think they are envy of the indian muslims...
well... Indian muslims are the most industrious people in Malaysia, after Chinese. We cant blame them of being successful.

Trumble
01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
These racial tensions exist among the politicians only. For us ordinary Malaysians, we have no racial problems.
Are you concerned that those politicians are actually trying to stir up racial tensions for political gain?

north_malaysian
01-10-2008, 10:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Are you concerned that those politicians are actually trying to stir up racial tensions for political gain?
Of course. But I dont know about other fellow Malaysians.

General Election is coming soon (many people predicted that it would be held after Chinese New Year - between mid of February until mid of March). There would be lots of issues that would be raised up by all politicians. I am afraid that racial tensions could happen again like what happened on the 13th May 1969.

shible
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM

If u were in India then u may not say it as a Fake Story.

It was the Headline news in all the Journels and Media three Days Back Bro.

U can check with the yahoo Link and the same news is available in all indian news Journels and international Journels. Check the Below Source

Source for my Thread

I knew a few Travel Agencies here who confirmed it from their Officials working there in Malaysia and A notice was displayed Outside Buddha Jaya in Malaysia abt Ban on intake of Indian workers for Low level labor category a few days before this announcement.

My News was 100% true one.

But it took two days for the thread to get displayed. In the Mean time as Bro North Malaysian said. The Malaysian Minister who came on a visit to India opposed the News...

:w:

NoName55
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
any 10 year old can start a "news" website on freehosts that does not make them Paxman of Newsnight.

and Indian media is well-known for being "impartial" and "pro Muslim".
"There is no truth in the report," the Works Minister and MIC (MAlaysian Indian Congress) President said here last night. He said he had spoken to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi and Human Resource Minister Datuk Seri Fong Chan Onn on the matter.

shible
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
any 10 year old can start a "news" website on freehosts that does not make them Paxman of Newsnight.

then u could see more news networks saying the Same. U don't seem to really understand much abt indian news media...

Well i cannot prove u better than this. Coz I have given u the Original Sources available.

I cannot make the Malaysian Government give a statement on Li Forum..

Ok Which News Journel Do u think is Providing you the correct message. You point it out and i shall provide the same source from them.

The issue is u are not reading the news when the event took place. But, u r reading it after the alternate is given for that issue

AFDAL
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM

I am a Muslim from India - It makes me laughing when you say that - Indian media is ell-known for "impartial" and "pro Muslim " . There is nothing like Indian media - everything the so called indian media is the copy of the Western Muslim hate propoganda media. That why the famous Dalit intelectual V.T. Rajashekhar says that Indian media specially the news papers are toilet papers.

north_malaysian
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
A notice was displayed Outside Buddha Jaya in Malaysia abt Ban on intake of Indian workers for Low level labor category a few days before this announcement.
"Buddha Jaya" where is that? I never heard of it. We only have Putrajaya, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Seberang Jaya, Cyberjaya.

north_malaysian
01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I cannot make the Malaysian Government give a statement on Li Forum..
Hindu Temple Workers' Visa Appeal Through Hindu Sangam

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 10 (Bernama) -- Hindu temples intending to appeal the extension of visa for their foreign workers should channel their request through the Malaysia Hindu Sangam (MHS), the sole organisation designated for the purpose, said its president Datuk A. Vaithilingam today.

He said the organisation has discussed the matter with senior officials of the Home Affairs Ministry and they had agreed to reconsider if the temple authorities made an appeal with valid documents.

"The MHS calls upon the Hindu community to remain calm over this issue because the ministry officials have shown their concern to solve this issue in a satisfactory manner.

"We must also appreciate the necessity for the ministry to go through their own process for proper investigation before making their decision," he said in a statement issued here today.

Vaithilingam also urged temples which had only obtained a seven-day extension of the work permit renewal for their temple sculptors to immediately appeal and get the recommendation letter from MHS at its headquarters at No 67, Jalan PJS, 1/48, Taman Petaling Utama 7, Petaling Jaya between 10am and 6pm tomorrow.

"The temple representatives must bring along all their relevant documents to the association's office," he said. For further information, they can contact Vaithilingam (012-297 0765), R.Thiagaraja (012-692 5036), V.Govindarajah (013-323 2167) or Sarawasthy (03-7784 4668/4669/4244).

Yesterday, Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Radzi Sheikh Ahmad denied reports claiming that the government did not allow people to bring in temple priests, sculptors and musicians from India but admitted that the conditions would be tightened and this was applicable to all religions.

He said the government policy was for locals to become priests, sculptors and musicians.

-- BERNAMA
From Malaysian official news agency BERNAMA

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/ne....php?id=307089

north_malaysian
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Samy Meets Indian PM, Says India-Malaysia Ties Still Cordial

By P. Vijian

NEW DELHI, Jan 10 (Bernama) -- After holding discussions with top Indian leaders Wednesday, Works Minister Datuk Seri S.Samy Vellu said India-Malaysia bilateral relations remained as thick as before.

Speaking to Bernama after meeting Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his residence in Delhi, Samy Vellu said he clarified two issues that had recently created some controversies in India.

"I clarified various issues including the 25th November demonstration in KL (Kuala Lumpur) by the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf), a non-registered organisation, and the recent report on Malaysia banning Indian workers. My explanations were well received by the prime minister (Manmohan).

"He repeatedly stated that India would not interfere in Malaysia's internal affairs and that the two countries had brotherly and friendly relations," he added.

Samy Vellu, who is in the Indian capital to attend the 6th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas conference, had earlier met Indian External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee.

Samy Vellu, who is also the president of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), the biggest Indian political party in Malaysia, said he explained about Hindraf and matters concerning workers brought from India to Malaysia, including Malaysia's stand on them, to Mukherjee.

"He (Mukherjee) said India does not support extremism and he was quite sympathetic to the government's cause and understood the situation in Malaysia," said Samy Vellu.

Besides that, during his discussion with the Indian prime minister, the Works Minister also discussed about Malaysian companies' interest in monorail projects in India.

"I told him about the potential for monorail projects in three places, Mumbai, Delhi and Hyderabad and also requested the prime minister to ask Indian institutions of learning to set up branches in Malaysia so that Malaysian and Indian students can study at them," he said.

During the talks, Manmohan said he wanted to see more investments and trade flow between both nations, Samy Vellu said.

Samy Vellu also presented the Indian premier a booklet "Malaysian Indians - Then and Now", which summaries the Indian community's progress in Malaysia since independence.

Speaking to Malaysian journalists earlier in the day, Samy Vellu said he met numerous Indian leaders since his arrival in India on 29th Dec and most of them accepted his explanation regarding Hindraf's allegations about discrimination of the Indian community in Malaysia.

"I have explained to all and they have received it well, with the exception of one leader, the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (M.Karunanidhi) because he has already made up his mind that whatever Hindraf says is right.

"So there is no point in giving any explanation. I am unhappy with his stand. I won't say I am disappointed," he told journalists covering the three-day conference that ended today.

He also said that MIC discovered that one of the demands made by Hindraf in their court case in the United Kingdom was to provide British citizenship to all Malaysian Indians.

-- BERNAMA
source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/ne....php?id=306965

north_malaysian
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM

No Directive To Freeze Recruitment Of Workers From India

PUTRAJAYA, Jan 9 (Bernama) -- The government has never issued a directive to freeze the recruitment of workers, especially professionals, from India, said Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Radzi Sheikh Ahmad.

He said confusion might have arisen following the government's decision in October to temporarily stop bringing in Bangladeshi workers due to cases of cheating and exploitation by recruiting agents.

He also explained the matter at the Cabinet meeting here Wednesday.

"Let me state categorically here that the ministry has never come out with any ruling or circular to say that we have stopped taking in foreign workers from India, what more the professionals.

"There is a report from Reuters...I don't who the source is that has made such a claim about the ministry. This is disturbing to us, especially to Datuk Seri Samy Vellu who happens to be in India now, so he has been `ambushed' by hundreds of reporters there asking for his comments," Radzi told reporters after the Cabinet meeting here today.

He was asked to comment on the Reuters report saying that Malaysia has frozen the recruitment of workers from India, linking it to the the Malaysian government's treatment of Indians in the country.

Asked whether India had protested against the purported move following the report, he said: "We don't know yet."

Radzi said at the moment the government was still honouring the memorandum of understanding signed between Malaysia and India.

However, he added, the government was reviewing the system of recruiting foreign workers involving 10 source countries, including India, to prevent recurrence of problems faced by Bangladeshi migrant workers.

"So now we are more stringent. We want employers who intend to bring in foreign workers to get the approval of the Human Resource Ministry after they have proven that they can't get locals to fill the posts."

Radzi said an action committee set up by the ministry would be approving the number of foreign workers that could be brought into the country, and the number might be reduced.

On reports claiming the government did not allow people to bring in temple priests, sculptors and musicians from India, Radzi refuted the claims but admitted that the conditions would be tightened and applicable to all religions including Islam.

He said currently there were 5,468 of them working in this country.

"Our policy is that we want locals to become priests, sculptors and musicians. We have given enough time for them (foreigners) to work here.

"Five years is normal, but some of them have been working here for 10 years and we will not extend their stay. We feel that locals should be able to take over the job," he added.

-- BERNAMA
Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/ne....php?id=306950

shible
01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
"Buddha Jaya" where is that? I never heard of it. We only have Putrajaya, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Seberang Jaya, Cyberjaya.
I am Sorry Bro for Mis-spelling it. It is Putrajaya ( the Place where the Immigration Head Office is situated)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.