/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gems Pearls of Wisdom of the Salaf

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

'Abd-al Latif
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
asalamu alykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Ok, I'm starting a thread for general sayings of the Salaf and I want everyone to contribute inshallah.

Please provide the source for your posts. It is not enough to say "X" said such and such. It should be probably referenced so that we can all gain the full benefits!

Example:

Al-Hasan al-Basree (rahima-hullaah) said: Seeking knowledge when one is young, is like etching on a stone [In other words, the knowledge which one memorises when one is young will be so strong in one's memory, that it is as if it had been etched on a stone, wAllaahu A'lam!].

Source: Mabaahith fee Ahkaam al-Fatwa - Page 28

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
01-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Imaam al-Awzaa''ee said, "Patiently restrict yourselves to the sunnah, stop where the people stopped, say what they said, avoid what they avoided. Take to the path of the salaf, for indeed what was sufficient for them was sufficient for you." [Al-Hujjah of Ismail Abu Fadhl (6/A-B)]

'Abd-al Latif
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Al Fudail Ibn 'Iyaad said;

Do not feel lonely on the paths of guidence just because few people travel them, and do not be decieved by the abundance of destroyed travelers [on the paths of misguidence].

[The Book of Manners by Fu'ad Ibn 'Abdul-'Azeez Ash-Shulhoob, Page 31]

'Abd-al Latif
01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
'Abd-al Latif said;

Come on brothers and sisters! I expected this thread to flourish!.

Source: A disappointed brother!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
:sl:

Awesome thread, JazakAllah Khayr :thumbs_up

Bilâl b. Sa’d – Allah have mercy on him – said:

Do not think about how small the sin is, but think about who you have just disobeyed.

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol.1 p150

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Laqit ibn Sabrah (radiyaAllahu 'anhu) reported that the Prophet (saw) said:
"Verily, our Lord 'azawajal laughs at the despair that His servants feel, even though His Help is so close!"
So Laqit said,
"O Messenger of Allah - may my mother and father be given as your ransom - and does our Lord laugh?"
The Prophet sallaAllahu 'alayhi wasallam replied,
"Yes!"
Laqit said,
"In that case, we will never give up hope of receiving good from a Lord that laughs!"
[Ibn Majah in his Muqaddimah]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Imâm ashShâfi’î (d.204H) - rahimahullâh - said:
“Whosoever loves that Allâh should open-up his heart for him and grant light to him, then let him abandon speech about that which does not concern him, and abandon sins and turn away from acts of disobedience. Then there will be between him and Allâh a hidden treasure of good actions. So if this is done, then Allâh will open up such knowledge for him, that will preoccupy him. And indeed in death is the greatest pre-occupation."

[Related by al*Bayhaqî in Manâqiush-Shâfi’î (2/171)]

Umm Yoosuf
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Al-Fudayl ‘ibn ‘Iyaad at-Tameemee said: If you are unable to perform Qiyaam al-Layl (pray during the night), and fast during the day, then know that you are deprived, shackled by your sin(s)

Mawaa’ith lil-Imaam al-Fudayl ‘ibn ‘Iyaad. Compiled by Saalih Ahmad ash-Shaamee. al-Maktab al-Islaamee; First Edition 1998/1419 A.H. Reference of quote: Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa’ (8/435)

Umm Yoosuf
01-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahima-hullaah) mentions: ((From the Sunnah is that you do not help anyone in disobedience to Allaah, whether they be parents or any of the creation. There is no obedience to a human in disobedience to Allaah an dno one is to be loved for that (i.e. disobedience to Allaah). Rather, all of that is to be hated for (the sake of) Allaah, the Blessed and Most High)).

Source: Sharhus-Sunnah - Imaam al-Barbahaaree

'Abd al-Baari
01-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allah have mercy on him – said:

The first step in knowledge is to listen, then to be quiet and attentive, then to preserve it, then to put it into practice and then to spread it.

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol.3 p283

ummAbdillah
01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Sufyaan ath-Thowree said:

It is befitting for a man to encourage his child in (seeking) knowledge, for certainly he is responsible for him.

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 7, Page 273

Abu Thabit
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Habib Ibn al-Jallab said:

" I asked Ibn al-Mubarak: whats the best thing given to a human being?

He said: an instinctive mind. I said: if not? he said: nice politeness.

I said: if not? he said: a humane brother who make him feel happy.

I said: if not? he said: a long silence. I said: if not? he said:

An urgent death.
"

Siyar A'lam An-Nubala' (8/397)

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
:salamext:

Abu 'Abdillaah Muhammad bin 'Abdil-Waahid bin Muhammad bin Ja'far informed us: Muhammad bin al-'Abbas informed us: Ahmad bin Sa'eed As-Soosee narrated to us: 'Abbaas bin Muhammad narrated to us, saying: Yahyaa bin Ma'een would recite this verse (of poetry):
"If you are lacking provisions, you will not find
any provision quite like that of righteous actions."
- Iqtidhaa-ul-'Ilm al-'Amal of Khateeb al-Baghdaadee

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Al-Hasan bin Abee Bakr informed us, saying: Di'laj bin Ahmad narrated to us, saying: Muhammad bin 'Alee bin Zayd reported to us: Sa'eed bin Mansoor narrated to us: Al-Haarith bin 'Ubayd Al-Iyaadee narrated to us: Maalik bin Deenaar narrated to us that Abud-Dardaa (radhiyAllaahu 'Anahu) said:

"Verily, the most dreaded thing that I fear for myself is that it be said to me: 'O 'Uwaymir, did you have knowledge?' And so I will respond 'Yes.' Then it will be said to me: 'So what deeds did you do based on your knowledge?'"

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Rizq and ‘Ali bin Ahmad bin ‘Umaar al-Muqri both said: Ja’far bin Muhammad al-Khaldee informed us” Ibraaheem bin Nasr al-Mansoori narrated to us: Ibraaheem bin Bashaar narrated to me: Yusuuf bin Asbaat narrated to me: Muhammad bin Samurah as-Saa’ih wrote the following letter to me:

"O brother! Beware of letting procrastination take control of you and letting it take a firm root in your heart, for indeed it is the cause for fatigue and wasting (of time). Due to it, aspirations are cut short and appointed times are not met. If you allow this to happen you have let it free you from your resolutions, and in effect, take you over. And reclaim your body from the lethargy that overtook you. But when it returns back to you, your soul will not benefit from your body. And hasten, my brother, for indeed you are being hastened. And rush, for indeed you are being rushed. And be serious, for indeed, the matter is serious. Awaken from your sleep, and snap out of your heedlessness. And remember what you have left behind, what you fell short in, what you neglected, what crimes you committed and what deeds you did, for indeed that is recorded and you will be held accountable for it. So it is as if the matter has come upon you all of a sudden and so you are (either) happy at what you have put forth for it or remorseful for what you have neglected.''

Umm Yoosuf
01-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah,

Masha Allaah some excellent iman boasting stuff posted. Keep it coming Insha Allaah.

Ibn Hazam al-Andalusee (rahima-hullaah) mentions:

((When you compare yourself with others in matters of wealth, position, and health, you should look at people less favoured than yourself. When you compare yourself with others in matters of religion, knowledge and virtue, look at people who are better than yourself)).

al-Akhlaaq was-Siyar - Ibn Hazam al-Andalusee

Ref: Fatwa-Online

Umm Yoosuf
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Muhammad ibn Waasi' (rahima-hullaah) used to say:

((If sins had an odour then nobody would be able to sit with me)).

The Evil of Craving for Wealth and Status - Imaam ibn Rajab al-Hanbalee

Ref: Fatwa-Online

Subhan Allaah!

chacha_jalebi
01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
aaa heavy thread!!!!

Shaqeeq Ibn Ibraheem said:

“The doors of success have been closed upon the creation because of six things:

Their busying themselves with the blessings of Allaah instead of thanking Allaah for them, their desire for knowledge while they abandon actions, the hastiness to sin and delaying repentance, the deception of having righteous companions and not taking them as examples, the turning away of the dunya from them while they chase it, and the approach of the afterlife towards them while they turn away from it.”

taken from Al Fawaai’d by Imam Ibn Al Qayyim (rahimullah)

chacha_jalebi
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
this one is like wohhhh

Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahimullah) mentions:

The innovators are like scorpions.

They bury their heads and bodies in the sand and leave their tails out.

When they get the chance they sting; the same with the innovators who conceal themselves amongst the people, when they are able, they do what they desire.

Reported in Tabaqaatul-Hanaabilah

chacha_jalebi
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
‘Alee ibn al-Hasan ibn Shaqeeq said: I heard ‘Abdullaah ibn al-Mubaarak say:

The first step towards (seeking) knowledge is the (sincerity of) intention, then it is listening, then it is understanding (this knowledge), then it is memorising (this knowledge), then it is acting (upon this knowledge), then it is spreading (this knowledge).

from Jaami’ Bayaan al-’Ilm wa Fadhlihi - Volume 1, Page 118

'Abd al-Baari
01-14-2008, 09:02 PM

It is reported that before his death, Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî – Allah be please with him – used to exert himself intensely in worship. It was said to him, “If only you would slow down and go easy on yourself.” He replied, “When steeds are let loose and come close to the end of their course they finish by giving it all they have, and what remains of my life is less than that.”

Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî.

:w:

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Sufyaan ath-Thawree said that:

"Indeed the deen is in the athaar not in the opinions"

- Reported by al-Khateeb in his Sharah as-haabul Hadeeth.

Khayal
01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Ibn 'Abbaas (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) said:

((Indeed the most detestable of things to Allaah are the innovations)).
al-Bayhaqee in as-Sunan al-Kubraa (4/316)

Khayal
01-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahima-hullaah) said:
Indeed the people of Truth and the Sunnah do not follow anyone [unconditionally] except the messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), the one who does not speak from his desires - it is only revelation revealed to him.
Majmoo'ah al-Fataawaa Ibn Taymiyyah, vol 3, page 216, Daar Ibn Hazm Print

Khayal
01-15-2008, 05:22 PM

On the authority of Sufyaan ath-Thowree, who said:
We do not know of anything better than seeking knowledge with (a sincere) intention (for the sake of Allaah).
Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa. - Volume 7, Page 244

Khayal
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Shaykh Abdul-Azeez ibn Baaz said:

"And we are of the opinion that it is obligatory to demolish it (the house) and in its place expand the road - closing all the doors to the evils of Shirk and excessiveness"

Ref: The Obligation of Demolishing the House of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Abdil-Wahhaab

'Abd-al Latif
01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Life is nothing but an accumulation of many breaths. So every breath is just a precious diamond which cannot be purchased with anything in the world. It is a priceless jewel which has got no substitute in value. So in movements and talks, and in sorrows and happiness, such a priceless breath should not be spent in vain. To destroy it is to court destruction. An intelligent man cannot lose it. When a man gets up at dawn, he should enter into an agreement with himself just as a tradesman contracts with his partner. At that time, he should address his mind thus: O mind, you have been given no other property as precious as life. When it will end, the principal will end and despondency will come in seeking profit in business. Today is a new day. Allah has given you time, that is, He has delayed your death. He has bestowed upon you innumerable gifts. Think that you are already dead. So don't waste time. Every breath is a precious jewel. Man has got for each day and night twenty-four treasure houses in twenty-four hours. Fill up these then find them filled up with divine sights in the world next. If they are not filled up with good works, they will be filled up with intense darkness wherefrom a bad stench will come out and envelop them all around. Another treasure house will neither give him happiness nor sorrow. That is an hour in which he slept, or was careless, or was engaged in any lawful work of this world. He will feel grieved for its remaining vacant.

[Taken from al-Ghazali: Meditation and Introspection, The Book of Constructive Virtues, Ihya Ulum-id-din.]

Khayal
01-16-2008, 12:26 AM

Actions speak louder.

Al-Qâsim b. Muhammad, the grandson of Abû Bakr - Allah have mercy on him - said:
In my time the people were not impressed by speech, they were impressed by actions. Anyone can say whatever he wants. Abû Dâwûd, Kitâb Al-Zuhd p354

Khayal
01-16-2008, 12:30 AM
The Dislike of answering Hypothetical Questions.

Whenever asked about a matter, Zayd b. Thâbit – Allah be pleased with him - would himself ask, “Has this happened?” If they told him that the matter had not yet occurred he would not inform them of an answer, but if they told him it had happened he would answer them.
Al-Âjurrî, Akhlâq Al-‘Ulamâ` no.81; Al-Khatîb, Al-Faqîh wa Al-Mutafaqqih Vol2. P13.

Khayal
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Steps to Knowledge

Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allah have mercy on him – said:
The first step in knowledge is to listen, then to be quiet and attentive, then to preserve it, then to put it into practice and then to spread it.
Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol.3 p283.

Khayal
01-16-2008, 12:55 AM

Knowledge transforms the student

Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allah have mercy on him – said:
When a man sought knowledge, it would not be long before it could be seen in his humbleness, his sight, upon his tongue and his hands, in his prayer, in his speech and in his disinterest (zuhd) in worldly allurements. And a man would acquire a portion of knowledge and put it into practice, and it would be better for him than the world and all it contains – if he owned it he would give it in exchange for the hereafter.
Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol.1 p.156.

'Abd al-Baari
01-16-2008, 04:00 PM

‘Abdullah b. Mas’ûd – Allah be pleased with him – said:

The believer sees his sins as if he is sitting at the foot of a mountain fearing that it might fall on him, while the sinner (fâjir) sees his sins as a fly that lands on his nose, he just waves it away.

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, The Book of Supplications, Chapter on Tawbah.

Ibn Hajr quotes in his commentary, Fath Al-Bârî:

Ibn Abî Jumrah said, “The reason for this [fear] is that the heart of a believer is illuminated; so when he sees from himself something that goes against what he illuminates his heart with, it is very distressing to him. The wisdom behind giving the example of a mountain is that a person might find some way to escape from other dangers, but if a mountain falls on a person he does not survive. In short, the believer is dominated by fear (of Allah) due to the strength of îmân he has; he does not therefore feel falsely secure about being punished because of his sins. This is the way of the Muslim: he always fears and checks on himself, his good deeds are little to him and he fears even the small bad deeds he has done.”

Khayal
01-16-2008, 05:13 PM

The Companions' Sincerity in Kbowledge.

‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. Abî Laylâ – Allah have mercy on him – said:

I have met one hundred and twenty Companions of the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him; there was not one amongst them who would narrate a hadîth except that he wished his brother would suffice him instead, and there was not one amongst them who gave a fatwâ except that he wished his brother would suffice him instead.
Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol.1 p140, no.49.

Khayal
01-16-2008, 05:22 PM

The Knowledge of 'A' ishah

It is reported from Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî – Allah be pleased with him - that he said:
We the Companions of Allah’s Messenger – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – never had difficulty in understanding a hadîth except that when we asked ‘Â`ishah we found she had some knowledge about it.
It is reported from Masrûq – Allah have mercy on him – that he said:
We swear by Allah, we have seen senior Companions of Allah’s Messenger – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – asking ‘Â`ishah about inheritance laws.
Ibn Al-Jawzî, Sifah Al-Safwah Vol.1 p319.

Khayal
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Four People we shouldn't take knowledge from

Imâm Mâlik – Allah have mercy on him – said:

Knowledge is not to be taken from four types of people: a foolish person who openly acts foolish, even if he reports the most narrations; an adherent of bid’ah who calls to his desires; a person who lies, even if I don’t accuse him of lying in hadîth; and a righteous pious worshipper who does not accurately retain what he narrates.
Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Imâm Mâlik.

Khayal
01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
:arabic6:

Sunnah, Bid'ah and Arabic

‘Abdullah b. Zayd Al-Numayrî reports that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî said:

They (the heretics) were destroyed by their inability in Arabic (al-‘ujmah).
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Târîkh Al-Kabîr Vol.5 p99.

And Imâm Al-Shâfi’î said:
People didn’t become ignorant and didn’t differ amongst themselves except because they left Arabic and leaned towards the language of Aristotle.

Quoted by Al-Suyûtî in Sawn Al-Mantiq p15. He said on p22:
I have found Salaf before Al- Shâfi’î indicate what he did:
That the cause of heresy (al-ibtidâ’) is ignorance of Arabic language.

:wasalamex

Khayal
01-16-2008, 06:34 PM

A Sign of Knowledge and a Sign of Ignorance

Masrûq - Allah have mercy on him - said:
Sufficient as knowledge for a person is that he fears Allah, and sufficient as ignorance for a person is that he feels impressed with the knowledge he has.
Al-Âjurrî in Akhlâq Al-‘Ulamâ’ no.40.

Masrûq was one of the major Tâbi’în, or students of the Companions. He accompanied Ibn Mas’ûd and was one of his students who became senior teachers and muftis after him. He reported from numerous other Sahâbah. It is said that he was called Masrûq (literally: stolen) because he was kidnapped as a child but later recovered. He died in 62H or 63H

Khayal
01-17-2008, 04:50 AM

Son, have you put it into practice?

'Atâ' narrates that there used to be a young man who used to go to Mother of the Believers 'Â'ishah to ask her questions and she would narrate to him. One day, he came to her to ask her some questions. She said, "Son, have you put into practice what you hear from me yet?" He replied, "No mother, I have not." So she said, "Son, why do you them seek to increase Allah's proof against us and you?!"

Al-Khatîb Al-Baghdâdî in Iqtidâ' Al-'Ilm Al-'Amal no. 92

Khayal
01-17-2008, 04:56 AM

Loftier Goals in Life

Commenting on 2:201 of the Quran which states:

Our Lord! Give us the good of this world and the good of the hereafter…

The good of this world is knowledge and worship, and the good of the hereafter is Paradise.

Al-Âjurrî in Akhlâq Al-'Ulamâ' no. 30 and Ibn Jarîr in his Tafsîr of this verse.

Scholars of tafsîr like Ibn Jarîr and Ibn Kathîr point out that 'the good of this world' is general and includes all those things which have been allowed for us to enjoy and which are considered useful by people for day-to-day living. And they point out that above this; the good of this world includes those things which will lead to success in the hereafter. This narration reminds us of these loftier things we should ask Allah for, and that the good of this life embraces what is required or recommended for a worshipper of Allah to acquire on this Earth, like knowledge of his religion and good deeds.

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Sufyaan Ibn Uyaiynah (Rahimahullah) said:
"A scholar is not one who knows the good from the evil, rather the scholar is the one who knows the good so follows it, and knows the evil so (he) abstains from it."

Kitab az-Zuhud of Imaam Ahmad p. 246

Khayal
01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
How Imam Muslim Died

On the authority of Ahmad b. Salamah:
A gathering of knowledge and revision was held for Abul-Husayn Muslim b. Al-Hajjâj where a hadîth that he did not know was mentioned. He went home and lit his lamp and said to those at home, “no one should enter the house (disturb me).” He was told, “We have been gifted a basket of dates.” He said, “Put it out for me,” so they served it to him. He started searching for the hadîth and taking a date at a time until the morning, by which time the dates where finished and he had finally found the hadîth.
Muhammad b. ‘Abdillâh (one of the reporters of this narration) added, “A reliable companion of ours added that this was the cause of his death.”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Imâm Muslim

Khayal
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Worse than not knowing

Imâm Muslim reports in the introduction to his Sahîh that Yahya b. Sa'îd once said to Al-Qâsim b. 'Ubaydillâh:

"Abu Muhammad! It feels horrible and grave that you should be asked a question about this religion and not have knowledge about it or a way to get out [and not look like you don't know]." He replied, "And why is that?" Yahya replied, "Because you are the son of two great Imâms of Guidance, Abu Bakr and 'Umar." Al-Qâsim said, "Even more horrible than this – to those who understand what Allah has taught us – is that I should say something without knowledge or report a narration from someone who is not reliable."

Al-Qâsim b. 'Ubaydillâh was the great grandson of Abu Bakr Al-Siddîq on his mother's side and the great grandson of 'Umar b. Al-Khattâb on his father's side. His grandfather was Abdullah b. 'Umar – Allah be please with them all

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Abu 'Abdillaah Al-Husayn bin Al-Hasan bin Ahmad bin Muhammad Al-Jawaaleeqee informed us: Ja'far Al-Khaldee narrated to us: Ahmad, i.e. Ibn Muhammad bin Masrooq, narrated to us: Muhammad bin Al-Husayn narrated to us: Muhammad bin Ashkaab As-Saffaar narrated to us, saying: A man from his family i.e. the family of Dawood At-Ta'ee, narrated to me, saying: "I said to him (i.e. to Dawood At-Taa'ee): 'O Abu Sulaymaan! You are aware of the family ties between us and you, so advise us.' So his eyes filled with tears. Then he said:

'O my brother, verily, the night and the day are stages that the people pass through - stage by stage - until this takes them to the end of their journey. So if you are able to put forth a provision during every day's stage, then do so, for indeed, the end of the journey is as near as it can get, and the affair (i.e. the Day of Judgement) is quicker than that. So take provisions for your journey. And take yourself to account, for indeed (on that Day), you will not be able to judge in your affair. So it is as if your affair has come upon you all of a sudden. And I don't know anyone that is more heedless of this than me.' Then he got up and left me."

'Abd al-Baari
01-18-2008, 06:09 PM

'Ali R.A said;

"The one who shows off has three charactersistics: he is lazy when by himself, he is lively and energetic when with others and he increases in his actions when he is praised and decreases in them when he is criticised."

Part of a list of sayings taken from Ihyaa Uloom id-Deen of al-Ghazaalee, Mukhtasir Minhaaj il-Qaasideen of Ibn Qudaamah and Kitaab uz-Zuhd of Ibn al-Mubaarak

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Ahmad ibn Yunus al-Yarbu’i said:

“Fudha’la Ibn Ubaid advised us saying: “If you can learn and not be known, do that; if you can listen and not talk, do that; and if you can sit and acquire knowledge from others, do that.’”

– Adh-Dhahabi “Siyar a’laam an-Nubalaa’”: 3/116

Khayal
01-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Until the Heart is sealed!

Explanation of the verse:
Nay, but their hearts were covered over by what (sins) they earned.
[Al-Mutaffifîn: 14]

Al-Hasan (Al-Basrî) said,
“It is because of doing one sin after another, until the heart becomes blind and dies.”

Qatâdah also said,
“It is because of doing one sin after another, one sin after another, until the heart dies and becomes black.”

Ibn Zayd said,
“Their sins overcome their hearts until no good can get through to them.”

Mujâhid explained,
“They used to consider the heart like a hand: when a person sins, his heart starts to scrunch up,” and he folded his little finger, “and when he does another sin,” he folded the next finger and continued until he had his fist clenched. “Then a seal is placed over it, and they used to say that this is the ‘covering’.”
Al-Tabarî in his Tafsîr, Sûrah Al-Mutaffifîn.

Khayal
01-19-2008, 12:14 AM
The Secret Charity of 'Ali b. Husayn

The Secret Charity of ‘Alî b. Husayn
It is reported that there used to be poor people in Al-Madînah who didn’t know where they were getting their food from. When ‘Alî b. Husayn passed away, they started missing what they used to be given at night.

Abû Hamzah Al-Thumâlî narrates that ‘Alî b. Husayn used to carry bread on his back in the darkness of the night and follow the poor people (to give it to them). He used to say, “Charity in the darkness of the night extinguishes the Lords anger.”

‘Amr b. Thâbit reports that when ‘Alî b. Husayn died, they found marks on his back from the sacks of provisions he used to carry at night to the houses of the widows.

Shaybah b. Nu’âmah narrates that when ‘Alî b. Husayn died they found out that he used to provide for a hundred (poor) families.
Al-Dhahabî in Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ’ under the biography of ‘Alî b. Husayn Zayn Al-‘Âbidîn

Khayal
01-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Save yourselves and your families!

Some narrations reported from the Salaf in explanation of what it means to protect oneself and one’s family as mentioned in Al-Tahrîm verse 6:
O you who believe! Protect yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels, stern and severe, and who disobey not the commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded. [66:6]

· ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allah be pleased with him:
Discipline them, teach them.

· Ibn ‘Abbâs – Allah be pleased with them:
Stay obedient to Allâh, stay away from disobeying Allâh and command your families to remember Allâh, and He will save you from the Fire.

· Mujâhid – Allâh have mercy on him:
Fear Allâh and obey him (practice taqwâ) and tell your families to practice taqwâ.

· Qatâdah – Allâh have mercy on him:
A person protects his family by telling them to obey Allâh and forbidding them from disobeying Him. He upholds Allâh’s commandments and helps his family to uphold them. So if you see some disobedience of Allâh you stop them from doing it, and you reprimand them. Al-Tabarî, Al-Tafsîr, Sûrah Al-Tahrîm.

Khayal
01-20-2008, 11:41 PM

It's just a small sin.

Bilâl b. Sa’d – Allah have mercy on him – said:
Do not think about how small the sin is, but think about who you have just disobeyed. Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol.1 p150.

I'll give her all she wants

A man came to Maymûn b. Mahrân – Allah be please with him – to ask for his daughter’s hand in marriage. Maymûn said, “I do not approve of her for you.” The man asked, “Why?” He replied, “Because she loves jewelry and garments.” To this the man said, “Well I have as much of those as she desires.” Maymûn said, “Now I don’t approve of you for her.”
Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Maymûn b. Mahrân

Death and budgeting; speaking and deeds

It is reported from Al-Awzâ’î that he said:
Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little. Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Al-Awzâ’î.

'Abd-al Latif
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Umar bin Khattab (r.a) said;

"Whoever speaks frequently err frequently".

[The Book of Manners - Page 157]

Khayal
01-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Be a King!

A man once asked Muhammad b. Wâsi’ for advice. He replied, “I advise you to be a king in this world and the hereafter.” The man enquired, “How?” He replied, “Lose interest in worldly things (practice zuhd).”
Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Muhammad b. Wâsi’

How 'Umar received the treasure of Persia!

Ibrâhîm b. ‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. ‘Auf reports:
‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allah be pleased with him - was given the treasures of the Persian Emperor (after his conquest), ‘Abdullah b. Arqam asked, “Are you going to put this into the public treasury (bayt al-mâl) until you can distribute it?” ‘Umar replied, “No by Allah, I will not take this under a roof before I have passed it on.” So they put it in the middle of the mosque and spent the night guarding it. In the morning, ‘Umar uncovered the treasure and saw such an amount of gold and silver that it almost shone; so he began to cry. ‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. ‘Auf – Allah be pleased with him – said, “Why do you cry o Amîr of the Believers? This is a day of thanks and a day of happiness for sure.” ‘Umar replied, “Woe to you, this has never been given to a people except that it has cast enmity and hatred amongst them.”
Ibn Al-Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol. 2 p595, 596.

Khayal
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Thinking Ahead for Prayer!

Abû Al-Dardâ’ – Allah be pleased with him – said:
It is from a person’s knowledge and understanding that he sees to his needs first in order to turn to his prayer with a heart free of distractions.
Ibn Al-Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ’iq Vol.2 p726

More time for the Hereafter!

Al-Hârith b. Qays – Allah have mercy on him – said:
When intending to do something good, do not delay it until tomorrow. When involved in something to do with the hereafter, keep yourself involved as long as you can. When involved in some worldly matter, put your mind to it (so as to get it done). And if you are praying and Shaytân whispers, ‘You are showing off,’ then make your prayer even longer.
Ibn Al-Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Rqâ’iq Vol.1 p126

Al-Hârith b. Qays was a student of the Companions ‘Alî and Ibn Mas’ûd – Allah be pleased with them. He was a scholar and devout worshipper. The last bit of advice about prayer serves to repel one of Shaytân’s plots, which is to turn people away from worshipping Allah by making them feel they are showing off if they try to perfect their worship.

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Hilaal ibn Khabbaab (rahimahullaah) said:

'I said to Sa'eed ibn Jubayr:

"What is the sign of the people perishing?"

He said:

"If their scholars pass away."'

Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa' - Volume 4, Page 326

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhiyAllaahu 'anhu) said:

"The Jamaa'ah is what accords to the truth, even if you are alone."

Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah - al-Laalikaa'ee

Khayal
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
.Where did we get our Glory?

Ibn Shihâb reports:
‘Umar went out to Shâm (Transjordan) and Abû ‘Ubaydah b. Al-Jarrâh was with us. They came to a ford while ‘Umar was on his camel. He dismounted his camel, took off his leather socks, placed them on his shoulder and took the reins of his camel and began to go down the ford. Abû ‘Ubaydah said, “O Leader of the Believers! You are doing this?! You take off your leather socks, put them on your shoulder, take your camel’s reins and go down the ford?! I wouldn’t want the people of this land to see you in such a state!” ‘Umar said, “If only someone else had said this o Abû ‘Ubaydah. You have made a lesson for the Ummah of Muhammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him! We were the lowliest of people but Allah gave us might and glory through Islam. If we seek glory through other than what Allah gave us glory through, He will abase us (again).”

In another version Abû ‘Ubaydah said:
O Leader of the Believers, should the armed forces and elite of Shâm meet you in this condition? ‘Umar replied, “We are a people whom Allah gave might and glory to through Islam, so we will never seek glory through anything else.”

Reported by Al-Hâkim, Al-Mustadrak Vol.1 pp61, 62. He declared it to be sahîh according to the criteria of Al-Bukhaârî and Muslim. Al-Dhahabî and Al-Albânî concur. See Al-Albânî, Al-Sahîhah Vol.1 p50.

.:wasalamex

Khayal
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Alî, the Armor and the Christian

During his Caliphate, ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib –
Allah be pleased with him - saw some armor of his with a Christian. He decided to take the matter up legally, so he took the dispute to Shurayh (the Judge).
‘Alî said, “This is my armor, and I have not sold it nor given it away.” Shurayh said to the Christian, “What have you to say about what the Amîr of the Believers claims?” The Christian replied, “It is my armor, although I do not regard the Amîr of the Believers to be a liar.” Shurayh then turned to ‘Alî, “O Amîr of the Believers, do you have any proof (of ownership)?” ‘Alî laughed and said, “Shurayh is correct, I have no proof.” So Shurayh judged that the armor was the Christian’s. The Christian took it and began to walk away but then returned. He proclaimed, “As for me, I testify that this is the judgment of the Prophets – the Amîr of the Believers himself takes me to his judge and the judge rules against him! I bear witness that there is no deity deserving worship but Allâh and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allâh. By Allâh, the armor is yours o Amîr of the Believers. I followed the army when you were on your way to the Battle of Siffîn and the armor came out of your equipment.” ‘Alî said, “If you have accepted Islâm the armor is yours.” And then he put him in his horse. Al-Sha’bî (the reporter of this incident) said, “I was later informed by those who saw this man that he fought the Khawârij (alongside ‘Alî) at the battle of Nahrawân.”

Ibn Kathîr, Al-Bidâyah wa Al-Nihâyah Vol.8 p5.

'Abd al-Baari
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM

One of the people of wisdom used to say:
"When a man is speaking in a gathering and his speech amazes him, let him be silent. When he keeps silent and his silence amazes, him let him speak."

Collected by Shaykh Husayn al-'Awaa'ishah from 'Ihyaa' 'Uloom ud-Deen' of al-Ghazaali, 'Mukhtasar Minhaaj ul-Qaasideen' of Ibn Qudaamah and 'az-Zuhd' of 'Abdullaah Ibn al-Mubaarak]

Khayal
01-23-2008, 02:21 AM

My Favrite Illness

Abû Hurayrah – Allah be pleased with him – said:
There is no illness that afflicts me more beloved to me than fever: it enters every part of me and [because of it] Allah the Mighty and Sublime gives every part of me its share of reward.
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. See Shaykh Al-Albânî’s Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad Vol.1 p198.

Khayal
01-23-2008, 02:26 AM

Why People Invent Bid'ah

Mu’âdh b. Jabal – Allâh be pleased with him – used to say:
Ahead of you are times of trials (fitan) in which there will be much wealth and in which the Qur’ân will be opened and taken (read) by believers and hypocrites, men and women, young and old and freemen and slaves. At that time it is likely that there will be people who will say, “Why aren’t the people following me when I have read the Qur’ân? They will not follow me until I invent something else.” So, beware of everything that is innovated (in religion), for those things that are innovated are misguidance.

Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ p62, Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl I’tiqâd Ahl –Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah Vol. 1 p125 and others.

Khayal
01-23-2008, 02:36 AM

More than Recitation

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allah be pleased with him – said:
Do not be fooled by one who recites the Qurân. His recitation is but speech – but look to those who act according to it.
Al-Khatîb, Iqtidâ` Al-‘Ilm Al-‘Amal no. 109

It is reported from Ayyûb Al-Sakhtiyânî [d130H] that he said:
There is no filth filthier than the sinful (fâjir) reciter of the Qurân.
Al-Khatîb, Iqtidâ` Al-‘Ilm Al-‘Amal no. 114

It is reported from Al-Fudayl (b. ‘Ayyâd) that he said:
The Qurân was sent down to be acted upon but people have taken just reciting it as enough of a deed. He was asked, “How is it acted upon?” He replied, “They should treat as halâl what it makes halâl and treat as harâm what it makes harâm, they should take on its commandments and stay away from what it forbids, and they should stop to ponder its amazing knowledge and wisdom.” Al-Khatîb, Iqtidâ` Al-‘Ilm Al-‘Amal no. 116

Khayal
01-23-2008, 02:42 AM

The Tawbah of Al-Fudayl b 'Ayyad

Al-Dhahabî describes Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd as an Imâm, an example, and Shaykh Al-Islâm.
He is renowned as one of the pious Salaf, and many wise and inspiring statements are related from him. Allâh have mercy on him. Here is the story of how he made tawbah.
Al-Fadl b. Mûsâ reports:
Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd used to be a highwayman, between Abyûrd and Sarkhas. He was in love with a girl, and the cause of his repentance was that he was once climbing a wall to meet her when he heard someone reciting the following verses:
Has not the time come for those who believe, that their hearts should be humbled and submitted (to Allah)…? [Al-Hadîd: 16]
When he heard this, Al-Fudayl said, “Indeed my Lord, it is time.” So he left, and seeking a night’s shelter he found himself at some ruins, and there he saw some travelers. Some of them said, “We should move on.” Others said, “Wait until morning, Al-Fudayl operates in this area, he will rob us.” Al-Fudayl said, “So I thought and said to myself: I spend the night in sin and there are some Muslims here who fear me; I think that Allah only led me to them so that I might take lesson and stop what I am doing. O Allah! I have repented, and as part of my tawbah I will live next to Al-Bayt Al-Harâm (in Makkah).” Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd

Khayal
01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Relative Values

Anas b. Mâlik – Allah be pleased with him – said:

You people do things today that you regard as less significant than a strand of hair, whereas we, during the time of the Prophet – peace and blessings be upon him – used to consider them destructive sins.Al-Bukhârî in his Sahîh, Chapter on sins that are seen as insignificant but which should be kept away from

Plantting Nifaq!

‘Abdullah b. Mas’ûd – Allah be pleased with him – said:

Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifâq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs.
Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.2 p469, and Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrâ Vol. 52 p231.

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawzîyah – Allah have mercy on him – said in Madârij Al-Sâlikîn, Vol.1 p487:
These are the words of someone who fully understood singing and its effects, for no one regularly sings or listens to song except that his heart falls into nifâq without him realizing. If such a person understood the reality of nifâq and its end he would see it in his own heart. Never do the love of song and the love of Qur`ân come together in a person’s heart except that one expels the other. I and others have witnessed how heavy the Qur`ân feels to singers and song-listeners; how they coil when it is recited and how they get angry with a reciter when he recites too long for them (in prayer etc); and how their hearts do not benefit from what he recites: they are not moved to do anything by it. But when the Qur`ân of Shaytân comes, lâ ilâha illallâh! How they lower their voices and settle down! How their hearts feel at peace and how the crying and emotions start, how moved they are inwardly and outwardly and spend on clothing and perfume and staying up hoping for a long night ahead. If this is not nifâq then it is certainly the way to it and its foundation

Khayal
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
You haven't prayed for 40 years!

Zayd b. Wahb reports:
We were once sitting in the masjid with Hudhayfah (ibn Al-Yamân) – Allah be pleased with him, when a man entered from the gates of Kindah and stood to pray; but he did not complete the bowing or prostration postures. When he had finished praying, Hudhayfah asked him, “How long have you been praying in this manner?” The man replied, “For forty years.” Hudhayfah said, “You have not prayed for forty years! And if you were to die praying in this manner you would die upon a way (fitrah) other than the way of Muhammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him.”
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, The Book of Adhân.

'Abd-al Latif
01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (r.h) narrated that Abu Yoosuf, the student of Abu Haneefah, said:

No one among Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah should mix with anyone from among the people of whims and desires so that he makes friends with him and becomes his close confidante, lest he causes him to slip or causes others to slip because of this friendship.

(Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (16/475))

Khayal
01-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Fasting and Backbiting!

It is reported from Abû Al-‘Âliyah – Allah have mercy on him – that he said:
A fasting person is in a state of worship as long as he does not backbite, even if he is sleeping in bed.
Al-Imâm Ahmad, Al-Zuhd Vol.4 p313.

A Fire in the Mosque!

It is reported from Abû Idrîs Al-Khawlânî – Allah have mercy on him – that he used to say:
I would rather hear of a fire in the masjid than hear of a bid’ah in it without there being anyone to do away with it. Never do a people innovate a bid’ah in their religion except that Allah removes a sunnah from them.
Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ p92. Abû Idrîs Al-Khawlânî was the chief judge of Damascus in his time, its main scholar, renowned for his exhortations. He was born in the year of the Conquest of Makkah and his father is regarded as a Companion. He narrated from a number of the Companions. He died in 80H, Allah have mercy on him.

'Abd al-Baari
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

It is reported from Imâm Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:

Whoever’s sin was because of [carnal] desires, hope for him (as he may repent and be forgiven); but whoever’s sin was out of pride, fear for him. For indeed, Âdam sinned out of simple desire, and was forgiven; whereas Iblîs sinned out of pride, and was cursed.

Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah.

Khayal
01-29-2008, 06:04 PM

The Tawbah of Zadhan!

Al-Dhahabî said about Zâdhân:
He was one of the major scholars, he was born during the life of the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessing be upon him…he was a reliable and truthful reporter…he reported numerous ahâdîth. The following are some of the Companions he reported from:
  • ‘Umar
  • ‘Alî
  • Salmân (Al-Fârsî)
  • Ibn Mas’ûd
  • ‘Â`ishah
  • Hudhayfah
  • Jarîr Al-Bajalî
  • Ibn ‘Umar
  • Al-Barâ` b. ‘Âzib
Here is the story of how he repented. He narrates:
I was a boy with a nice voice and I was good at playing drums. I was once with a friend and we had nabîdh (a date infusion drink that can turn alcoholic) and I was singing for my friends. Ibn Mas’ûd was passing by and entered upon us; he struck the drink container we had and broke the drum. Then he said, “O boy! If your nice voice was to be heard reciting Qur`ân instead you would be the man!” And then he went on his way. I asked my friends, “Who was that?” They told me it was Ibn Mas’ûd. At that point tawbah was cast into my soul, and so I ran after him crying, I grabbed his garment and he turned to me and embraced me and cried. He said, “Welcome to him who Allah loves. Sit down.” He then went inside and brought out some dates for me.
Thereafter, Zâdhân became pious; Al-Dhahabî also reports that he was seen praying and it was as if he was a piece of wood or a tree in his stillness and humility in prayer.
He died in 82H, Allah have mercy on him. Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of Zâdhân.

What to intend in Prayer!

‘Abdullâh b. Mubârak said:
I asked Sufyân Al-Thawrî, “When a man stands to pray, what should he intend by his recitation and prayer?” He replied, “He should intend that he is personally entreating his Lord.”
Muhammad b. Nasr Al-Marwazî, Ta’dhîm Qadr Al-Salâh Vol. 1 p199.

Khayal
02-02-2008, 06:10 PM

Al- Awza'i: Allaah is above His 'Arsh!

Imâm Al-Awzâ’î – Allâh have mercy on him - said:
We used to say – while the Tâbi’ûn were abundant – that Allâh is above his ‘Arsh (Throne), and we believe in what is present in the Sunnah about His attributes.
Al-Baihaqî, Al-Asmâ` wa Al-Sifât and Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Al-Awzâ’î.

In Majmû’ Al-Fatâwâ, Shaykh Al-Islâm Ibn Taymîyah says that this narration is reported by Al-Baihaqî in Al-Asmâ` wa Al-Sifât with a sahîh chain of narrations. He then states, “Al-Awzâ’î here cited – and he is one of the four great imâms of the period of the Tâbi’ Al-Tâbi’în (the students of the students of the Companions): Mâlik, imâm of the people of Al-Hijâz; Al-Awzâ’î, imâm of the people of Shâm; Al-Layth, imâm of the people of Egypt and Al-Thawrî, imâm of the people of ‘Irâq – Al-Awzâ’î here cited that belief in Allâh being above the Throne and in His other revealed attributes was well known and widespread in the period of the Tâbi’în. He said this following the emergence of the creed of Jahm, who denied that Allâh is above His Throne and negated His attributes, so that people would know that the creed of the Salaf was contrary to this.”

Khayal
02-02-2008, 06:15 PM

Characterless

It is reported from ‘Abdullâh b. Mas’ûd – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said:
“One should get used to the idea that if everyone on Earth disbelieved, you would not disbelieve. Do not be an im’ah (characterless).” He was asked, “And what is an im’ah?” He replied, “A person who says, ‘I am with the people (I do what they do).’ Verily, there is to be no following examples in evil.”
Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol.1 p33.

Khayal
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM

They All Feared Hypocrisy!

Ibn Abî Mulaykah – Allah have mercy on him – said:
I met thirty of the Prophet’s Companions – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – and every one of them feared falling into nifâq (hypocrisy); not one of them claimed he had the level of faith of Jibrîl or Mîkâ`îl.
Quoted by Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, Chapter on the believer fearing that his deeds will be nullified without him realizing.

In this chapter and narration there is a refutation of the Murji`ah sect who claimed that îmân (faith) consists of belief in the heart and nothing else i.e. a person’s deeds are not part of his faith and do not affect it.
This narration indicates that a person may perform deeds in which his intention may not be totally pure and sincere and because of which he falls into a type of practical hypocrisy.
The fact that they feared hypocrisy does not mean they actually fell into it. Rather this was by way of them being very careful not to fall into it, and it is part of their taqwâ – Allah be please with them.
This narration also indicates that the Companions believed that people can have different levels of faith, contrary to the Murji`ah who claimed that the îmân of the most pious true believers is the same as everyone else.
Nothing contrary to any of this has been related from the Companions, so it is as if there is a consensus (ijmâ’) amongst them on this.
The following are some of the illustrious Companions Ibn Abî Mulaykah met:
· ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib
· Sa’d b. Abî Waqqâs
· Mother of the Believers ‘Â`ishah
· Her sister Asmâ`
· Mother of the Believers Umm Salamah
· ‘Abdullah b. Mas’ûd
· ‘Abdullah b. ‘Umar
· ‘Abdullah b. ‘Abbâs
· ‘Abdullah b. Al-Zubayr
· Abû Hurayrah
· ‘Uqbah b. Al-Hârith
· Miswar b. Mikhramah Allah be pleased with them all.
These notes have been summarized from Fath Al-Bârî.

Khayal
02-03-2008, 08:09 PM

I sit with the Salaf!

It is reported from Nu’aym b. Hammâd:
‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak used to often stay at home, so he was asked, “Don’t you get lonely?” He replied, “How could I get lonely when I am with the Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him (i.e. I read his hadîth)?”

Also on the authority of Nu’aym b. Hammâd:
It was once said to ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak, “O Abû ‘Abd Al-Rahmân, you often sit alone at home.” He said, “I am alone? I am with the Prophet - Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – and his Companions.” Meaning: reading hadîth.
Ibn ‘Asâkir, Târîkh Dimishq Vol. 32 p458.

Shaqîq b. Ibrâhîm reports:
It was once said to ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak, “After you have prayed with us you don’t sit with us?” He replied, “I go and sit with the Sahâbah and the Tâbi’în.” We said, “And how can you sit with the Sahâbah and Tâbi’în (when they have all passed away)?” He replied, “I go and read the knowledge I have collected, I find their narrations and deeds. What would I do with you? You sit around backbiting people.”
Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak.

'Abd-al Latif
02-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Fudail Ibn 'Iyaad said

Two actions harden the heart: Much talk and much eating.

[The Bookf of Manners by Fu'ad Ibn Abdul-'Azeez Ash-Shuloob]

Khayal
02-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Abu Bakr to 'Umar on his Deathbed!

When Abû Bakr Al-Siddîq was on his deathbed he called ‘Umar - Allah be pleased with them - and said:
Fear Allah o ‘Umar, and know that Allah has deeds to be done for Him in the day which He will not accept if done at night, and He has deeds to be done for Him at night which He will not accept if done during the day. He will not accept extra (nâfilah) deeds unless you fulfill the obligatory deeds. The scales of those whose scales will be weighty on the Day of Resurrection will only be weighty because they followed the truth in this life and it was weighty to them. And scales in which the truth will be placed tomorrow truly deserve to be heavy. And the scales of those whose scales will be light on the Day of Resurrection will only be light because they followed falsehood in this life and it was a light matter to them. And scales in which falsehood will be placed tomorrow truly deserve to be light.
Allah the Exalted has mentioned the people of Paradise and mentioned them in the context of their best deeds, and overlooked their evil deeds, so when I remember them I say to myself: I fear that I will not be included with them. And Allah the Exalted has mentioned the people of Hell and mentioned them in the context of their worst deeds and rejected their best deeds, so when I remember them I say: I hope I won’t be amongst them. Allah’s worshippers should always be in a state of hope and fear, they shouldn’t wish flimsy wishes about Allah and neither should they despair of Allah’s mercy.
If you keep to this advice of mine, no one who is not with you now should be more beloved to you than death – and it is sure to come to you. But if you disregard this advice, no one who is not with you now should be more hated to you than death – and you cannot escape it.
Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol.1 p18; and Ibn Al-Jawzî, Sifah Al-Safwah.

'Abd al-Baari
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM

It is reported from Nu’aym b. Hammâd:

‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak used to often stay at home, so he was asked, “Don’t you get lonely?” He replied, “How could I get lonely when I am with the Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him (i.e. I read his hadîth)?”

Also on the authority of Nu’aym b. Hammâd:

It was once said to ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak, “O Abû ‘Abd Al-Rahmân, you often sit alone at home.” He said, “I am alone? I am with the Prophet - Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – and his Companions.” Meaning: reading hadîth.

Ibn ‘Asâkir, Târîkh Dimishq Vol. 32 p458.
Shaqîq b. Ibrâhîm reports:

It was once said to ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak, “After you have prayed with us you don’t sit with us?” He replied, “I go and sit with the Sahâbah and the Tâbi’în.” We said, “And how can you sit with the Sahâbah and Tâbi’în (when they have all passed away)?” He replied, “I go and read the knowledge I have collected, I find their narrations and deeds. What would I do with you? You sit around backbiting people.”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Abu Zur’ah ar-Raazee (died 264 A.H.) said:
I have in my house (something) I wrote 50 years (ago) and have not read it since I (first) wrote it. Certainly, I know which book it is in, (and) which page it is on (and) which line it is on.
al-Hifth – Ahammiyyatuhu, ‘Ajaa.ibuhu, Tareeqatuhu, Asbaabuhu – Page 32
Taareekh Baghdaad - Volume 10, Page 332

Khayal
02-06-2008, 05:28 PM

More towards the end!

It is reported that before his death, Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî – Allah be please with him
– used to exert himself intensely in worship. It was said to him, “If only you would slow down and go easy on yourself.” He replied, “When steeds are let loose and come close to the end of their course they finish by giving it all they have, and what remains of my life is less than that.” Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Abû Mûsâ Al-Ash’arî

Khayal
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Make Fasting Different!

Sulaymân b. Mûsâ [d119H] – Allah have mercy on him – said:
When you fast, your hearing and sight should also fast, and your tongue should fast by keeping away from lies; and do not harm your servant. Don’t let the day you fast be the same as the day you don’t fast.
Târîkh Dimishq Vol. 22 p389.

Al-Sawm (fasting) literally means to keep away from something.
Fasting of the faculties of hearing and seeing means to keep away from listening to and looking at things that are displeasing to Allah, in the same way that we stay away from food and drink when we are fasting.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Imam Ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullaah) states in Al Fawaa-id that Ibn Sad (rahimahullaah) mentions in At Tabaqaat about Umar Bin Abdul Azeez (rahimahullaah) that:
Whenever he delivered a khutbah on the mimbar, and feared being amazed by himself; he would terminate it (i.e. the khutbah). And whenever he wrote a letter and feared amazement by way of it; he would tear it.

And he would say: O Allaah! I seek refuge in you from the evil of my nafs.
Al Fawaa-id of Imaam Ibnul Qayyim (rahimahullaah) (page: 225)

Khayal
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Secret Tears!!

Muhammad b. Wâsi’ said:
I have lived amongst men who were such that one of them would lie with his wife on the same pillow and his side of the pillow would be soaked with his tears under his cheek without his wife even noticing.
Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ, Al-Ikhlâs wa Al-Nîyah (Sincerity and Intentions) p34.
Muhammad b. Wâsi’ Al-Azadî Al-Basrî was one of the famous and pious Tâbi’în. He reports from Anas b. Mâlik – Allah be pleased with him – and others. He died in 123H, Allah have mercy on him.

Khayal
02-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I won't be affected!

It is reported from Sufyân Al-Thawrî – Allah have mercy on him – that he said:
A person who sits with a heretic (an adherent of bid’ah) will not escape one of three things:
Either he will become a trial (fitnah) for others, or some deviation will occur in his heart and he will slip and be cast into the Fire by Allah, or he will say to himself, ‘By Allah, I don’t care what they say, I am confident about myself;’ but whoever feels secure from Allah about his religion even for the blinking of an eye, Allah will take his religion away from him.
Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ p125

Khayal
02-12-2008, 07:46 PM

The Real Faqih!

'Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allah be pleased with him – said:
Shall I not tell you who the real faqîh is? He is one who does not make people despair of Allah's mercy, yet he does not give them concessions to disobey Allah. He does not make them feel safe from Allah's plan and he does not leave the Quran.

There is no good in worship that involves no efforts to gain fiqh, and there is no good in seeking fiqh without seeking a thorough understanding. And there is no good in reading without contemplating.

Al-Âjurrî in Akhlâq Al-'Ulamâ' no. 45, Al-Khatîb in Al-Faqîh wa Al-Mutafaqqih Vol. 2 pp338-339.

Khayal
02-12-2008, 09:19 PM

If only this was in fashion!

'Urwah b. Al-Zubayr – Allah have mercy on him – said:
'Â'ishah - Allah be pleased with her - gave seventy thousand (dirham) in charity, while her own skirt used to be patched.

'Abdullah b. Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ'iq Vol. 1 p588, no.705.

Khayal
02-14-2008, 04:52 PM

The cure for Death!!

A man once asked Ka'b,
"Which illness cannot be treated?" "Death", he replied.

The son of Zayd b. Aslam [d136H] said:
My father said, "There is one treatment for death: gaining the pleasure of Allah 'azza wa jall."

Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ in Dhikr Al-Mawt no. 418

Advice from Abu Al-Darda'

A man once asked Abû Al-Dardâ' – Allah be pleased with him – for advice. He said:
Remember Allah in good times and He will mention you in hard times. When you remember those who have passed away, consider yourself like one of them. And when you think of involving yourself in some worldly matter, consider first what it will lead to in the end.

Al-Dhahabî in Siyar A'lâm Al-Nubalâ', under the biography of Abû Al-Dardâ'.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Al-Bayhaqi narrated that Abu Dharr RA said:
I said, “O Messenger of Allah, what will save a person from Hellfire?”

He said, “Belief in Allah.”

I said, “O Messenger of Allah, are there are any deeds that should accompany that belief?”

He said, ‘He should give from that provision which Allah has granted him.”

I said, “O Messenger of Allah, what if he is poor and does not have anything to give?”

He said, “He should enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil.”

I said, “O Messenger of Allah, what if he cannot enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil?”

He said, “He should help the one who is helpless (i.e., has no skills and cannot earn a learning).”

I said, “What if he himself is helpless and cannot do anything?”

He said, “He should help one who has been wronged.”

I said, “What if he is weak and cannot help one who has been wronged?”

He said, “You do not want to think of your companion as having any good in him. Let him refrain from harming people.”

I said, “O Messenger of Allah, if he does that, will he enter Paradise?”

He said, “There is no believer who does not strive to acquire one of these characteristics, but I will take him by the hand and lead him into Paradise.
Classed as Saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Targheeb, 876

Khayal
02-19-2008, 07:57 PM
The World in Three Days!!

It is reported from Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:
The life of this world is made up of three days: yesterday has gone with all that was done; tomorrow, you may never reach; but today is for you so do what you should do today.
Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabîr p197.

Khayal
02-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Respect for Hadith!!

Ma'n b. 'Îsa Al-Qazzâz reports:
Whenever Mâlik b. Anas – Allah have mercy on him – would sit to narrate hadîth he would bath and perfume himself. If anyone raised his voice in the gathering [Imâm Mâlik] would reprimand him and say, "Lower your voice, for Allah tabâraka wa ta'âlâ said:

O Believers! Do not raise your voices over that of the Prophet [Sûrah Al-Hujarât: 2]

Whoever raises his voice over the sound of the hadîth of Allah's Messenger – peace and blessing be upon him, then it is as if he is raising his voice over that of the Prophet – peace and blessings be upon him."

Nasr b. Ibrâhîm Al-Maqdisî in Mukhtasar Al-Hujjah ‘alâ Târik Al-Mahajjah Vol.1 p121.

Khayal
02-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Intentions First!!

The Prophet Muhammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – said:
Actions are but by intentions, and everyone will have what he intended. So whoever migrated to Allah and His Messenger, he migrated to Allah and His Messenger. But whoever migrated for some worldly benefit, or to take a woman in marriage, then his migration was only to what he migrated to.
Al-Bukhâri, Muslim and others.

Traditionally, Muslim scholars chose to begin their works by quoting this hadîth, or report, from the Messenger of Allah, Muhammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him. Here is a brief commentary taken from Ibn Rajab’s Jâmi’ Al-‘Ulûm wa Al-Hikam, in which he explains the entire Forty Hadîth collection of Al-Nawawi:
Imâm Al-Bukhârî (as Al-Nawawi later did in his Forty Hadîth) begins his Sahîh collection with this hadîth, reminding us that any deed through which Allah’s pleasure is not sought is futile; it will bear no fruits in this life or the hereafter.
‘Abd Al-Rahmân b. Mahdî, the great scholar of hadîth, said, “If I were to compile a work in chapters, I would place this hadîth at the beginning of each one.” He also said, “Whoever wishes to author a book, he should begin with the hadîth about intentions.”
This hadîth forms a fundamental principle of Islâm and an axis around which this way of life revolves.
It is reported that Imâm Al-Shâfi’î said, “This hadîth constitutes a third of all knowledge, and it relates to seventy areas of fiqh (correct understanding of the religion).”
It is reported from Imâm Ahmad that he said, “The foundations of Islâm are upon three hadîth: the one reported by ‘Umar - ‘Actions are but by intentions’, the one reported by ‘Âishah – ‘Whoever does a deed that does not conform to our commands will have it rejected’ and the one reported by Al-Nu’mân b. Bashîr – ‘The halâl and harâm are clear…’”
This hadîth teaches us the principle that acceptance of our deeds and whether or not they are regarded as righteous depends primarily on what the intention behind them is. If the intention is good and pure - to receive Allah’s pleasure and reward, the deed is righteous. Otherwise the deed is futile and false. This is the first thing that needs to be dealt with.
The second condition which needs to be met for our deeds to be accepted by Allah is that they should be in conformity with Islâm’s true teachings as taught to us by the Prophet – peace and blessing be upon him – and as understood and applied by the Righteous Predecessors. Hence, the Prophet stated:
Whoever does a deed that does not conform to our commands will have it rejected.

Al-Bukhârî and Muslim

Khayal
02-22-2008, 05:10 PM
The Believers will see their Lord!!

Imam Al-Shafi'i: Evidence that the Believers will see their Lord!!
Abû Ibrâhîm Al-Muzanî, the companion of Imâm Al-Shâfi’î reports:
I heard Al-Shâfi’î comment on the statement of Allah:
Nay, they (the unbelievers) will be on that day veiled from their Lord.
[Al-Mutaffifîn: 15]

He said, “In this verse there is evidence that the awliyâ` of Allah (His beloved righteous worshippers) will see their Lord on the Day of Resurrection.”
Al-Lâlakâ`î in SHarh Usûl ‘I`tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah Vol.2 p309

'Abd al-Baari
02-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

لاَ يَصِحُّ القَوْل إلاَّ بِعَمَلٍ وَ لاَ يَصِحُّ قَوْل وَ عَمَل إلاَّ بِنِيَّةٍ وَلاَيَصِحُّ قَوْل وَ عَمَل وَ نِيَّة إلاَّ بِالسُّنَّةِ

The Qawl (statement) is not correct unless it is done with ‘Amal (action) and the Qawl (statement) and ‘Amal (action) are not correct unless done with by Niyyah (intention) and the Qawl (statement), the ‘Amal (action), and the Niyyah (intention) are not correct unless done according to the Sunnah.

Al-Hasan al-Basree Rahimahullah

WaAlaykumus Salaam

Khayal
02-23-2008, 08:37 PM

At the Doorstep of Knowledge!!

It is reported from ‘Abdullâh b. ‘Abbâs – Allâh be pleased with them – that he said:
After Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him - passed away, I said to a man from the Ansâr, “Come, let us ask [and learn from] the Prophet’s Companions, Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him, for they are many in number today.” He replied, “I am surprised at you Ibn ‘Abbâs – do you really think people need you when there are so many Companions of the Prophet - Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him?” So he did not involve himself in this endeavor, but I busied myself asking [the Companions about issues]. If I heard of a hadîth being reported by a man, I would come to him and if he was taking his midday nap I would lay down my garment and lie outside waiting for him, with the wind blowing dust in my face. The man would come out [for Dhuhr] and see me in that state, and he would exclaim, “O nephew of Allâh’s Messenger! What has brought you here? You should have sent for me and I would have come to you!” I would say, “Rather I should come to you [to seek knowledge].” I would then ask him about the hadîth I heard. The man [who I originally invited to seek knowledge with me] remained as he was, and when he saw how people would gather around me [to seek knowledge] he said, “For sure, this young man was more intelligent than me.”
Al-Dârimî, Al-Sunan Vol. 2 p129

Khayal
02-23-2008, 08:39 PM

Marriage and the Light of Faith!!

‘Iktimah, Sumay’ and Kurayb report that Ibn ‘Abbâs – Allah be pleased with them – said to them:
Marry, for if the servant of Allah commits fornication Allah snatches the light of îmân from him, and may or may not return it to him. Ibn Sa’d in Al-Tabaqât Al-Kubrâ Vol.5 p287.

Khayal
02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

Differences between sins

It is reported from Imâm Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:
Whoever’s sin was because of [carnal] desires, hope for him (as he may repent and be forgiven); but whoever’s sin was out of pride, fear for him. For indeed, Âdam sinned out of simple desire, and was forgiven; whereas Iblîs sinned out of pride, and was cursed.
Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah

Khayal
02-26-2008, 07:12 PM

A Visitor looking around the House!

‘Abdullâh b. Mas’ûd –
Allah be pleased with him – went to visit someone who was ill, and a group of people went with him. In the house (where they were visiting) was a woman. One of the visitors, a man, started to look at the woman. ‘Abdullâh [Ibn Mas’ûd] said to him, “If your eye had been gouged out (or popped out] it would have been better for you.”
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. See Shaykh Al-Albânî’s Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad Vol.1 p212

cala_lily
02-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Just a quick question here. Why does it say in the Quran that you cannot take Christians or jews for friends?What kind of God would say something like that?:peace:

'Abd-al Latif
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cala_lily
Just a quick question here. Why does it say in the Quran that you cannot take Christians or jews for friends?What kind of God would say something like that?:peace:
Answer will be posted in a different thread.

EDIT: Here you go http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/134...rotectors.html

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM

It was related from Al-Marroodhee that he asked (Al-Imaam) Ahmad:

How are you today (lit. How is your morning)?

He replied:

How can one’s day be while he is required by his Lord to perform obligatory acts of worship?

(How can one’s day be while) his Prophet is calling him to practice the Sunnah?

(How can one’s day be while) two angels are requiring from him to correct his deeds?

(How can one’s day be while) his nafs urges him to follow its desires?

(How can one’s day be while) Iblees is beckoning him to commit all types of indecent, evil deeds?

(How can one’s day be while) the Angel of Death is observing him (waiting) to take his soul?

(How can one’s day be while) his dependants are asking him to provide them with maintenance?

Taken from Siyaar A'laamin Nubalaa by Al-Imaam adh-Dhahaabee; volume 11/227

Translated by Dawud Adib

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Ibn Abee Haatim(.328H) Rahimahullaah said

"I entered Damascus and came upon the students of hadeeth, and I passed by the circle of Qaasim al Joo'ee(d.248 AH). I found a group sitting around him and he was speaking. Their appearance amazed me; and I heard him saying:

"Seize the benefit of five things from the people of your time:
When you are present,you are not known;
When you are absent you are not missed;
When you are seen, your advice is not sought;
When you say something, your saying is not accepted;
And when you have some knowledge,you are not given anything for it.

I also advise you with five matters:
When you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly;
When you are praised, do not become happy;
When you are criticised, do not become upset;
When you are not believed, do not become angry;
And if people act deceitfully towards you, do not act deceitfully
towards them."

Ibn Abee Haatim said:" So I took that as my benefit from Damascus."

Related by Ibn al Jawzee in Sifatus-safwah(2/200).

Source

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Yahya Bin Mu-aad (rahimahullaah) said:

I am amazed by three:

A man who considers his actions to be created just like him, and abandons performing such actions for Allaah.

A man who is miserly with his wealth. His Lord lends it to him, and he does not lend anything of it.

A man who is desirous of the companionship and love of the people, whilst Allaah calls him to the Companionship and Love of Him.

Source: Al Fa-waa-id, page: 179

Khayal
03-01-2008, 06:36 PM

1. Young Man's Fear of Allah

One day, Malik bin Dinar (rahimaullah) was passing by a place when he noticed a young man wearing old clothes and crying by the roadside. His name was Uthbah. Sweat was dripping down his body even though the temperature was very cold at that time. Malik bin Dinar became very surprised at this scene and asked Uthbah, "Oh young man, why are you crying? And why are you sweating during this cold temperature?"

Uthbah replied, "Once, I committed a sin at this place. Today, as I was passing by this place, I remembered that sin."

Source: Obtained from the book "Tambihul Ghafileen" by Shaikh Abul Laith Samarkandi.

Look how pious were the early Muslims. Today, we are committing thousands of sins, yet, we are walking around with happiness and joy as if we have nothing to worry about.

'Abd al-Baari
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM

Things have Changed

Umm Al-Dardâ` [the Younger] – Allâh be pleased with her - reports:

One day, Abû Al-Dardâ` came home angry, so I asked him, “What has made you so angry?” He replied, “By Allâh, I do not recognize anything from the Ummah of Muhammad except that they pray (salâh) in congregation.”

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, Chapter on the Virtue of Praying Al-Fajr in Congregation.

We learn from this narration:

Prayer (salâh) in congregation is from the characteristics of the Ummah of Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.

The noble Companion Abû Al-Dardâ` was conveying the idea that deficiency and negative changes had begun to creep in to the practices of the Muslims, and he wanted to point out this evil so that people could be aware and try to keep to the original teachings. Al-Hâfidh Ibn Hajr states, “Abû Al-Dardâ` intended to point out that all the deeds of those mentioned had suffered some degree of deficiency and change, except praying in congregation. This [change] is relative, for the condition of the people during the time of the Prophet was better compared to how it changed after that time; and during the time of the Two Shaykhs (Abû Bakr and ‘Umar) it was better compared to how it was after them. It is as if this concern came from Abû Al-Dardâ` towards the end of his life – during the latter part of ‘Uthmân’s Caliphate. And just imagine, if that virtuous generation was described by Abû Al-Dardâ` as it was, then what about those who came after them up to our own time?!”

This narration shows us that we should be angry if some aspect of the religion is changed, and that renouncing evil can be done by showing one’s anger if one is not able to do any more than that.

Taken from Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Rajab and Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Hajr; both of which are commentaries on Sahîh Al-Bukhârî

WaAlaykumus Salaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh

'Abd-al Latif
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Abu Hurayrah (radi Allahu anhu) narrated that the Messenger (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) said:

"The gates of Paradise will be opened on Monday and on Thursdays, and every servant [of Allah] who associates nothing with Allaah will be forgiven, except for the man who has a grudge against his brother. [About them] it will be said, 'Delay these two until they are reconciled. Delay these two until they are reconciled. Delay these two until they are reconciled.'"

(Reported by Muslim in al-Musnad as-Saheeh, #2565.)

Khayal
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM

A Realistic Faith!

Faith (îmân) is not by embellishment or wishful thinking, but it is what settles in the heart and is verified through your works. Whoever says good but does not do good will have his words compared to his deeds by Allah. Whoever says good and does good will have his words raised by his deeds. This is because Allah 'azza wa jalla said:

To Him ascends the good word, and the righteous deed raises it. [Sûrah Al-Fâtir: 10]

Ibn Battah in Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol. 3 p120, and Al-Khatîb Al-Baghdâdî in Iqtidâ' Al-'Ilm Al-'Amal no.56.

Khayal
04-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Knowledge protects you!!

With reference to the important virtues of knowledge, the Shaykh (rahima-hullaah) mentions:
That he who has knowledge does not become tired in protecting it.
This is because, if Allaah bestows knowledge upon you, then its place is in the heart and there is no need for containers or keys or the like.
It is protected in the heart and soul, and in time itself it is a protector for you, because it protects you from danger, with Allaah’s permission.
So knowledge protects you, whilst with property, you protect it by placing it in locked up containers, and despite all this, you still remain insecure about it.
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kitaabul-'Ilm

Khayal
04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Blindly Taqleed (follow)

From the Sayings of 'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood - 1
Ash Shaykh Al Imaam Al ‘Alaamah Ibnu Qayyim Al Jawzeeyah (رحمه الله)

A man in the company of ‘Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood said: “I do not wish to be from amongst the companions of the Right Hand, I wish to be from amongst the Muqaraboon (those who are brought close (to Allaah)!

So ‘Abdulllaah said: "But here is a man who wishes that if he died he would not be resurrected [from fear of Allaah]." Meaning himself.

He left his house one-day and people followed him, so he said to them: "Is there anything that you need?"

They said: "No, but we want to walk with you."

He said: "Go back, because it is lowly /dishonorable for the follower and a Fitnah for the one being followed.

He also said "If you knew about me what I know about myself, you would pour sand over my head."

“None of you should make Taqleed (blindly follow) another man in regards to his religion, if he [one being followed] believes then he believes and if he disbelieves then he disbelieves. If you had to blindly follow someone, then take those who have passed away as examples, for indeed those who are alive are not safe from Fitnah.”

“Look for your heart it three places:

1. When you are listening to the Quraan,
2. in the circles of remembrance [of Allaah]
3. and when you are alone.

If you don’t find it in these places, then ask Allaah to bless you with a heart for indeed you have no heart.”

“Indeed people have become proficient in speech, so he whose deeds are in accordance to his speech, then he is the one that will attain his portion of reward, and he whose deeds are in opposition to his speech, then he is one that only rebukes himself.”

“Truly I believe that a man forgets knowledge that he once possessed due to a sin that he practices.”

“Knowledge is not in narrating a lot, but knowledge is fear [of Allaah].”

Al Fawaaid: P.162

Translated by: Abu ‘Abdul Waahid, Nadir Ahmad

Khayal
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood (radhi-yallaahu ‘anhu) said:
Certainly, I consider/regard a man who has forgotten knowledge which he used to know/possess to be the result of the sins he used to do
al-Hifth – Ahammiyyatuhu, ‘Ajaa.ibuhu, Tareeqatuhu, Asbaabuhu – Page 67

Khayal
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Prepare for a day like..

On the authority of al-Baraa ibn 'Aazib (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) who said: While we were with the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), he suddenly looked towards a group (of people) and said:
For what reason have they gathered here?
It was said: In order to dig a grave.
So the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) became alarmed and startled and he quickly went ahead of his Companions until he reached the grave, then he knelt upon it, and I turned my face towards him (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), in order to see what he was doing. He (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) cried until the earth became wet with his tears, then he turned to us and said:
O my brothers! Prepare for a day like this.
al-Bukhaaree in at-Taareekh, Ibn Maajah, Ahmad and others. It is a hasan hadeeth as indicated by Shaykh al-Albaanee in Silsilah al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah

Khayal
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Beautiful Cursed Women!

On the authority of ‘Abdullâh Ibn Mas’ûd – Allâh be pleased with him, who said:

May Allâh curse those women who tattoo or seek to be tattooed, those women who remove facial hair or seek it to be removed and those women who put gaps between their teeth for beautification; those who seek to change Allâh’s creation.

This reached a woman from Banî Asad who was called Umm Ya’qûb and who used to read the Qur`ân. She came to [Ibn Mas’ûd] and said, “What is this I hear from you, that you curse women who tattoo or seek to get tattooed, and those who remove facial hair and those who put gaps between their teeth for beauty, those who change Allâh’s creation?” ‘Abdullâh [Ibn Mas’ûd] replied, “And why should I not curse those whom Allâh’s Messenger has cursed and those who are mentioned in Allâh’s Book?” She said, “I have read [the Qur`ân] from cover to cover and I have not seen it mentioned.” He replied, “If you had really read it [carefully] you would have found it; Allâh the Mighty and Sublime said:

And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, shun it.
[Al-Hashr (59):7]

The woman then said, “Well I have just seen some of this on your own wife.” He said, “Go and see her.” So she went to the wife of ‘Abdullâh but didn’t see anything. She returned to him and said, “I don’t see anything.” He said, “Well, if any of those practices had been done I would not be with her any more.”

Al-Bukhârî and Muslim. This translation is from the version in Muslim.

Points to note

The teachings of Allâh’s Messenger have the same legal weight as teachings in the Qur`ân because the Qur`ân commands us to take everything the Messenger teaches us, even if it is not specifically mentioned in the Qur`ân. This refutes the claim of heretics who say we only need to follow the Qur`ân

• It can even be said that a ruling given by Allâh’s Messenger is in the Qur`ân based on the verse quoted
  • Tattooing, removal of facial hair – including the plucking of eyebrows - and making gaps between the teeth for beautification are strictly forbidden in Islâm and are regarded as major sins. In another narration, hair extensions have also been mentioned
  • Exceptions have been made by scholars in cases where a woman suffers a condition that causes her to grow a full beard, or where filing of teeth and widening spaces are needed for medical reasons
  • Being cursed (al-la’nah) means to be removed from Allâh’s mercy; this goes to prove that these practices are major sins
  • People should ask Allâh to curse those whom Allâh’s Messenger has asked to be cursed
  • Women can ask male scholars about matters of religion and can converse with them for the purpose of understanding knowledge and legal rulings
  • Wives who remain disobedient to Allâh should be divorced
  • A person who helps another to sin is regarded as a participant in that sin
These points have been summarized from Ibn Hajr, Fath Al-Bârî and Al-Nawawî, Sharh Sahîh Muslim.

Khayal
04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Innovation!

Ibn 'Umar (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) said:
Every innovation is misguidance, even if the people see it as something good.
Abu Shaamah (no. 39)

Khayal
04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) said:
The Jamaa'ah is what accords to the truth, even if you are alone.
Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah - al-Laalikaa.ee

Wmin_ISoc
04-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Bismillah...

Mu`adh bin Jabal advised his son,

“My son! Pray the prayer of he who is just about to leave and imagine that you might not be able to pray ever again.

Know that the believer dies between two good deeds, one that he performed and one that he intended to perform later on.”

[Sifat as Safwah 1/496]

Khayal
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Correct View!

Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee (rahima-hullaah) said:
The Sunnahs of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) reach, as well as escape from every one of us. So whenever I voice my opinion, or formulate a principle, where something contrary to my view exists on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), then the correct view is what the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) has said, and it (that) is my view.
Related by Haakim with a continuous sanad up to Shaafi'i, as in Taareekh Damishq of Ibn 'Asaakir (15/1/3), I'laam al-Muwaqqi'een (2/363, 364) & Eeqaaz (p. 100)

'Abd-al Latif
04-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Umar ibn Khattab (r.a) asked Ubbay ibn Ka’ab (r.a), "What is the meaning of Tawqa?" Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, "O Amir ul Mu’minin, have you walked on a field that had a lot of thorny plants?" Umar said, "Yes" Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, "So what did you do?" Umar replied, "I lifted up my clothes and I was very careful," Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, "That is Taqwa."

[http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=775]

'Abd-al Latif
05-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Is it possible to obtain the quality of patience?

If a person does not naturally possess the characteristic of patience, he can attain this characteristic by acting as if he does possess it, until it eventually becomes second nature. This is what the Prophet (saaws) has told us in the hadith: "Whoever tries to be patient, then Allâh will help him to be patient." A person can also strive to control sexual desire and lower his gaze until these too become second nature. The same applies to all other desirable characteristics such as steadiness, generosity and courage.

(Patience and grattitude by ibn Qayyim)

'Abd al-Baari
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM

al-Awzaa'ee said:

Whoever stands the night in prayer, Allaah will make easy for him his standing on the Day of Judgment

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 7, Page 119

------
05-07-2008, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnMuhammad
Is it possible to obtain the quality of patience?

If a person does not naturally possess the characteristic of patience, he can attain this characteristic by acting as if he does possess it, until it eventually becomes second nature. This is what the Prophet (saaws) has told us in the hadith: "Whoever tries to be patient, then Allâh will help him to be patient." A person can also strive to control sexual desire and lower his gaze until these too become second nature. The same applies to all other desirable characteristics such as steadiness, generosity and courage.

(Patience and grattitude by ibn Qayyim)

Jazaak Allaah Khayr!!

Ibn Al Aqwa
05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Also on the authority of Nu’aym bin Hammaad:

It was once said to ‘Abdullah bin Al-Mubaarak, “O Abu ‘Abd Al-Rahmaan, you often sit alone at home.” He said, “I am alone? I am with the Prophet - Allaah’s peace and blessings be upon him – and his Companions.” Meaning: reading hadeeth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was once said to ‘Abdullah bin Al-Mubaarak, “After you have prayed with us you don’t sit with us?” He replied, “I go and sit with the Sahaabah and the Taabi’een.” We said, “And how can you sit with the Sahaabah and Taabi’een (when they have all passed away)?” He replied, “I go and read the knowledge I have collected, I find their narrations and deeds. What would I do with you? You sit around backbiting people.”

'Abd al-Baari
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah said:

"Indeed the people of Truth and the Sunnah do not follow anyone [unconditionally] except the messenger of Allaah sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam, the one who does not speak from his desires - it is only revelation revealed to him."

Majmoo'ah al-Fataawaa Ibn Taymiyyah, Vol 3, Page 216

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Some of the Salaf said:
"Admonition is only beneficial when it comes from the heart, so indeed it reaches the heart. As for admonition which comes from the tongue, then verily it enters through one ear and comes out from the other".

'Abd-al Latif
05-13-2008, 12:49 AM
'The sea of pleasures may drown its owner and the swimmer fears to open his eyes under the water'

[ibn qayyims 'al fawaaid']

'Abd-al Latif
05-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Get yourself out of this limited world of diseases to the wide world of the Hereafter, which what the eyes have never seen. Nothing is impossible there, and love is not lost. O you who sold yourself for the sake of something which will cause you suffering and pain, and which will also lose its beauty, you sold the most precious item for the cheapest price, as if you neither knew the value of the goods nor the meanness of the price. Wait until you come to the Day of mutual loss and gain and you will discover the injustice of this contract. ''There is no God but Allaah'' is something that Allaah is buying. Its prices is Paradise, and the Messenger is its agent, and you will be pleased to part with a small part of this worldly life to obtain it. The part you lose is a small part of something that as a whole is not worth a mosquito's wing.

[ibn qayyims 'al fawaaid']

Khayal
05-13-2008, 03:01 AM

Arabic Grammar!

Khalaf ibn Hishaam said:
I found a particular aspect of Arabic grammar difficult, so I spent 80,000 dirhams in order to become proficient in it.
Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa. - Volume 10, Page 578

------
05-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Thabet quotes al-Hasan as saying: "The laughter of a believer is a sign of the inadvertence of his heart."

------
05-16-2008, 12:45 PM

"Sometimes, it is true, Love comes as a result of a definite cause outside the soul, but then it passes away when the cause itself disappears: one who is fond of you because of a certain circumstance will turn his back on you when that motive no longer exists."

- Ibn Hazm

------
05-16-2008, 12:46 PM
"And among the accidents of love is the violent anxiety and silencing intensity of feeling which overcome the lover when he sees the beloved avoiding him and eschewing him; and the sign of that is sighing, and lack of vivacity, and sobbing, and having deep sighs: and on that subject I have made a poem, from which I quote:

The beautiful patience is imprisoned,
And tears are bursting forth from the eyes! "

[Tawq Al-Hamamah - Ring of the Dove by Ibn Hazm]

------
05-16-2008, 12:47 PM

If your heart is enslaved by someone who is forbidden for him: One of the main causes for this miserable situation is turning away from Allah, for once the heart has tasted worship of Allah and sincerity towards Him, nothing will be sweeter to it than that, nothing will be more delightful or more precious. No one leaves his beloved except for another one he loves more, or for fear of something else. The heart will give up corrupt love in favour of true love, or for fear of harm.

[Ibn Taymiyyah. Being a True Slave of Allah]

------
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
It was narrated that Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

"If a man who met the early Salaf were to be brought back to life today, he would not recognize anything of Islam" - and he put his hand on his cheek, then said, "apart from this prayer - By Allah, anyone who lives in these strange times and did not meet the righteous salaf, and sees the innovator promoting his bid'ah and the one whose main concern is wordly gains calling others to join him; but Allah protects him from that and causes him to long for the righteous salaf, asking about their path and following their footsteps, and he follows their path, he will be compensated with a great reward. Be like that, in sha' Allah."

[Al-Khateeb in Al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih.]

------
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Abû ad-Dardâ' said:

"Worship Allâh as if you see Him, and count yourselves from amongst the dead, and know that a small amount to suffice you is better than abundance that will destroy you, and know that righteousness does not bring about harm and that sins are not forgotten (by Allâh)."

[Wakee' bin al-Jarraah's 'Kitaab az-Zuhd']

'Abd al-Baari
05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah,

It is reported from Al-Awzâ’î – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:

I have been told that it used to be said, “Woe to those who study [their religion] for a purpose other than worship, and those who seek to permit what is forbidden through doubts and specious arguments.”

Al-Khattîb Al-Baghdâdî, Iqtdâ Al-‘Ilm Al-‘Amal, p77.

ummAbdillah
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Imam Ash-Shaafi`ee
Diwaan ash-Shaafi`ee
From "Three Forgotten Prayers" by `Adnaan Aali `Uroor
© Call to Islam Da`wah Center, UK 1997

Repentance

Al-Muzni who is Aboo lbraaheem Isma`eel ibn Yahya said:

"I entered upon ash-Shaafi'ee during his illness which resulted in his death, so I said to him: 'What is your condition?' He replied: "I am journeying from this world, and departing from my brothers, drinking from the cup of death, and upon Allaah - Exalted is His remembrance - arriving. And no! By Allaah, I do not know if my soul is travelling towards Paradise or the Fire!" Then he started to weep, and he said:

'In You, the Creator, I raise my longing, And even if I am, O possessor of kindness and generosity, an evildoer, a criminal,

When my heart became constricted and my paths became narrow,

I took my hope in Your pardon and forgiveness as an opening and an escape,

My sins seemed very great to me but when I compared them to Your forgiveness,

I found Your forgiveness to be greater,

You are and still remain the only One who can forgive sins,

You grant and forgive out of Your benevolence and generosity,

Perhaps the One who is the source of all goodness will forgive and overlook my mistakes,

And will hide the sins and burden that I accumulated,

My sins seemed very great to me, so I turned (to You) in humility,

Were it not for my contentment in you, I wouldn't, O my Lord, have seen any comfort at all,

So if You forgive me, You would have forgiven a sinner, A rebellious, oppressive tyrant still sinning,

So my crime is very great, past and present, But Your forgiveness that embraces Your servant is greater and higher,

So whomsoever holds fast to Allaah is truly saved from mankind, And whomsoever's hopes are in Him, will be far removed from any regrets.'
source

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-29-2008, 02:07 AM

Ali bin Abi Talib (رضي الله عنه) said:
"Be amongst people like a bee that flies. Every flying bird looks down on it and if they know what this weak bee has inside from blessings they would have never looked down on it ever."
Sunan al-Darmi: 312 [It is saheeh].

*Behna*
05-30-2008, 03:50 AM

Hospitality and Sharing: How the Salaf Lived!

Muhammad b. Ziyâd said, “I met [some of] the Salaf. They would live in one building with their families. One of them might receive guests, and the cooking pot of another might be on the fire (with food being cooked). The host would take the pot to serve his guest, and the owner of the pot would find it had gone and would ask, “Who has taken the pot?” The host would reply, “We have taken it for our guest.” The owner would say, “May Allâh bless it for you,” or something similar. Baqîyah (one of the reporters) said, “Muhammad said, ‘And it was the same when they baked bread; and they had only a wall of reeds separating them in those days.’” Baqîyah added, “And I remember seeing such times with Muhammad b. Ziyâd and his friends.””
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Shaykh Al-Albânî (Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad p268) said this narration’s chain of narration is sahîh.

Khayal
05-30-2008, 05:06 PM

To eat a dead Mule!

‘Amr b. Al-‘Âs was once walking with a group of his friends, when he passed by the bloated, rotting carcass of mule. He said: “By Allah! To eat your fill from this carcass is better than eating the flesh of a Muslim (by backbiting him).”
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Shaykh Al-Albânî (Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad p266) said this narration’s chain of narration is sahîh.

Khayal
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Things have Changed!

Umm Al-Dardâ` [the Younger] – Allâh be pleased with her - reports:
One day, Abû Al-Dardâ` came home angry, so I asked him, “What has made you so angry?” He replied, “By Allâh, I do not recognize anything from the Ummah of Muhammad except that they pray (salâh) in congregation.”
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, Chapter on the Virtue of Praying Al-Fajr in Congregation.
We learn from this narration:
· Prayer (salâh) in congregation is from the characteristics of the Ummah of Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.
· The noble Companion Abû Al-Dardâ` was conveying the idea that deficiency and negative changes had begun to creep in to the practices of the Muslims, and he wanted to point out this evil so that people could be aware and try to keep to the original teachings. Al-Hâfidh Ibn Hajr states, “Abû Al-Dardâ` intended to point out that all the deeds of those mentioned had suffered some degree of deficiency and change, except praying in congregation. This [change] is relative, for the condition of the people during the time of the Prophet was better compared to how it changed after that time; and during the time of the Two Shaykhs (Abû Bakr and ‘Umar) it was better compared to how it was after them. It is as if this concern came from Abû Al-Dardâ` towards the end of his life – during the latter part of ‘Uthmân’s Caliphate. And just imagine, if that virtuous generation was described by Abû Al-Dardâ` as it was, then what about those who came after them up to our own time?!”
· This narration shows us that we should be angry if some aspect of the religion is changed, and that renouncing evil can be done by showing one’s anger if one is not able to do any more than that.
Taken from Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Rajab and Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Hajr; both of which are commentaries on Sahîh Al-Bukhârî.

cute123
06-09-2008, 08:25 AM
jazaikhair sis, truely said if we dont combat the wrong, soon there will be no right. but Allah controls everything. He is the most wise and the most merciful

Khayal
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Do not bear witness for any of the people of Islaam!

Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahima-hullaah) mentions:
Do not bear witness for any of the people of Islaam (i.e. that he is a person of Paradise or of the Fire) due to a good or bad deed, since you do not know what his final action before his death will be.
You hope for Allaah's Mercy for him and you fear for him because of his sins.
You do not know what has been destined for him at the time of his death as regards repentance and what Allaah has destined for that time if he dies upon Islaam.
You hope for Allaah's Mercy for him and you fear for him because of his sins.
Sharhus-Sunnah - Imaam al-Barbahaaree

Khayal
06-10-2008, 04:39 PM

Passage to Paradise!

Abu Umaamah (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) said:
O Messenger of Allaah tell me of an action by which I may enter Paradise?
He (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:
Take to fasting, there is nothing like it.
an-Nasaa.ee - Volume 4, Page 165, Ibn Hibbaan - Page 232, al-Haakim - Volume 1, Page 421

Ibn Abi Ahmed
06-11-2008, 12:26 AM

‘Uthmaan ibn 'Affan (رضي الله عنه) said in a Khutbah one day:
“Oh people! Fear Allaah, for the fear of Allaah is a treasure. The smartest of the people is the one who checks on himself and strives for that which comes after death, strives to acquire some of the light of Allaah for his grave, and fears lest Allaah raise him blind when he had sight (in this world).”
Saheeh at-Tawtheeq: 107

ummAbdillah
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Al-Hasan (al-Basrî) said,

"The believer is like a stranger. He does not become worried due to being insignificant in it (this life), and he does not compete for honor in it. His condition is one and the people are in another condition. Whenever Allâh created آdam ('Alayhis Salâm), He made him and his wife reside in Paradise. Then he was put out of it, yet was promised to return to it, he and the righteous ones among his offspring. So the believer is always longing for his first homeland..."

source

Khayal
06-14-2008, 03:37 AM

Entering into conversations

There are four types of people in this world who enter a conversation/ discussion:
1. One who knows not, and himself knows he knows not, is a student. Teach that person.
2. One who knows, and others know he knows, is a teacher. Learn from that person.
3. One who knows, and himself knows not that he knows, is humble. Encourage him.
4. One who knows not, and himself knows not that he knows not, is stupid. Avoid that person. *

In any dialogue keep these in mind, and you shall be guided to productive discourses.

Imam Shafie

Khayal
06-15-2008, 08:41 PM

All humans are dead except those who have knowledge!!

“All humans are dead except those who have knowledge ...
And all those who have knowledge are asleep, except those who do good deeds ...
And those who do good are deceived, except those who are sincere ...
And those who are sincere are always in a state of worry”
(Imam Shafi’)

Khayal
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM

- Companion of the dead -

Said `Ubaid bin `Umayr al-Laythi 'Not a single man dies without being called by the pit in which he is buried, which declares, "I am the house of gloom, and of loneliness and solitude! If you were obedient to God during your lifetime then today I shall be a source of mercy for you, but if you were rebellious then I am an act of vengence against you. The obedient who enter me shall come forth joyful, while the rebellious who enter me shall emerge in ruin".'

Said Yazid al-Ruqashi 'I have heard it said that when the deceased is set in his tomb his works amass around him and are given to speak by God, so that they say, "O bondsman, alone in his pit! Your family and friends are now separated from you, so that today we are your sole companions".'
(The Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife, Imam Al-Ghazali (rh)

Khayal
06-18-2008, 07:15 PM

- Five pieces of advice -

'Akrama bin Khalid narrated that 'Ali bin Abi Talib(RA) once said: "Learn five things from me, although, even if you were to ride on the speediest racing camels to attain them, your camels will fall exhausted before you can ever arrive at fully accomplishing them;
1) Let a servant implore no one beside his Lord;
2) let a servant fear nothing greater than the consequences of his own sin;
3) let an unlearned person not shy to inquire about what he does not understand; and finally,
4) let no scholar, when asked about something he does not know, shy to say, 'I do not know the answer to that question, surely Allah knows best.'
5) You also must know that patience to one's faith is like the head in relationship to one's body."
(Hilyatul Awliyaa, Imam Al-Asafahaani (rh))

Khayal
06-20-2008, 02:54 AM

- The blessing of time -

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said, “Every day the sun rises it calls upon us, “Oh people! I am a new day; I am an observer of your actions. Take advantage of me for I will not return until the Day of Judgment.” “Oh, son of Adam you are nothing but a few breaths. Once one breath goes out, part of you goes with it. In the same way that part of you has gone, soon all of you will go.”

Ibn Al-Qayyim said, “Every gulp of air that goes out in a cause other than the cause of Allah (SWT) will turn to sorrow and regret on the Day of Judgment.” He also said, “A sign that Allah (SWT) despises you is when you find yourself wasting your time with trivial matters; in this way you miss your chance of going to heaven. And a sign that Allah (SWT) likes you is when you find yourself fulfilling more duties than you have time for.” A saying goes, ‘The devil makes work for idle thumbs.’ If you want to know whether Allah (SWT) is pleased with you, then think: Are you busy or idle?

Al-Muhasiby said, “I wish that time could be acquired with money. If so I would buy time from wasteful and ungrateful people so that I could spend it serving Allah (SWT).”

Ibn Masoud said, “I never regretted anything except a day that passed by without having increased my deeds.”

ummAbdillah
06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Ibn Mas`ud used to say, "Doing a little of the Sunna is better than striving hard in innovation."

source

ummAbdillah
06-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Imaam ad-dahabee (d.748h) rahemahullah said: it is authentically reported from ad-daaraqutnee that nothing is more despised to me than ‘irnul-kalaam (innovated speech and rehetorics). I say: no one should ever go into ‘irnul-kalaam, nor argumentation. Rather he should be a salafee (follower of the salaf). [siyar 16/457]

Khayal
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM

- Unparalleled justice -

A man from the Copts came to Umar ibn al-Khattab(RA) in Al-Madinah, and said, "O Commander of the Faithful! I seek refuge in you from oppression." Omar replied, "You have sought refuge where it is to be sought." The Egyptian said, "I was racing the son of `Amr ibn al-`Aas(RA), and defeated him. Then he began to beat me with a whip saying: I am the Son of Nobles!"

So Umar wrote to `Amr commanding him to appear before him with his son. So they appeared before him. Umar inquired, "Where is the Egyptian? He is to take the whip and beat him!" Then the Egyptian began to beat the son of `Amr with the whip as `Umar said to him, "Beat the Son of Nobles!"

Anas said, "So he beat him. I swear by Allah, as he was beating him we pitied his wailing. He did not desist until we stopped him."

Then Umar said to the Egyptian, "Now beat the whip upon `Amr's bald head!" He replied, "O Commander of the Faithful! For it was his son who beat me, and I have evened the score with him."

Upon this Umar said to `Amr, "Since when do you enslave the people when their mothers bore them as free men?" He said, "O Commander of the Faithful! I was unaware of this, and he did not come to me (for justice)."

Reference: Seerah Omar ibn al-Khattab, Ibn Abdi-l Hakam; Kanzu-l `Ummaal, al-Hindi; Rabee`u-l Abraar, al-Zamakhshari

Khayal
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM

- The role of the mind -

A man came to Iyas Ibn Mu'awiyah, a Muslim judge famous for his wisdom, and the following conversation took place between them:

Man: What is the Islamic ruling regarding wine?
Judge: It is Haram (Forbidden).

Man: How about water?
Judge: It is Halal (Permissible).

Man: How about dates and grapes?
Judge: They are Halal.

Man: Why is it that all these ingredients are Halal, and yet when you combine them, they become Haram?
The Judge looked at the man and said: If I hit you with this handful of dirt, do you think it would hurt you?

Man:It would not.
Judge: How about if I hit you with this handful of straw?

Man: It would not hurt me.
Judge: How about a handful of water?

Man: It surely would not hurt me.
Judge: How about if I mix them, and let them dry to become a brick, and then hit you with it, would it hurt you?

Man: It would hurt me and might even kill me!
Judge: The same reasoning applies to what you asked me!!

Khayal
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM

- Four types of Oceans -

There are four types of oceans: The ocean of sins, the self (nafs) is the ocean of lust, death is the ocean of life and the grave is the ocean of distress.
[Umar (RA)]

"You who commit a sin, do not feel secure about the results, for what goes along with the sin is more serious than the sin itself.

Your lack of shame before the angels, who witness you when you commit the sin, is more serious than the sin itself.

Your laughter when you sin, as you forget the punishment of Allah is more serious than the sin itself.

Your delight if you get a chance to sin, is more serious than the sin itself.
Even your disappointment, if you miss a chance to sin is more serious than the sin itself."

Our Righteous Predecessors were as fearful of their good deeds being squandered, or not being accepted, as the present generation is
certain that their neglect would be forgiven.
[Hasan al Basri (rh)]

O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity
[Ibn al-Qayyim]

Khayal
06-24-2008, 05:36 PM

- Three Solid Truths -

Once, a person was verbally abusing Abu Bakr (RA) while the Prophet (SAW) was curiously watching with a smile. After taking much abuse quietly, Abu Bakr responded to a few of his comments. At this, the Prophet exhibited his disapproval, got up and left. Abu Bakr caught up with the Prophet and wondered, 'O Messenger of Allaah, he was abusing me and you remained sitting. When I responded to him, you disapproved and got up.' The Messenger of Allaah responded,

'There was an angel with you responding to him. When you responded to him, Shaytaan took his place.'

He then said, 'O Abu Bakr, there are three solid truths: If a person is wronged and he forbears it (without seeking revenge) just for the sake of Allaah (SWT), Allaah will honour him and give him the upper hand with His help; if a person opens a door of giving gifts for cementing relationships with relatives, Allaah will give him abundance; and, if a person opens a door of seeking charity for himself to increase his wealth, Allaah will further reduce his wealth.' ( Mishkaat & Musnad Ahmad)

Khayal
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM

- The collective punishment -

Adas Ibn Umayra (RA) said : 'I heard the Prophet (SAW) say : "Allah will not punish the public (with His torment) because of the bad deeds of a particular people, till the public sees the Munkar (Evil) amongst themselves and they are able to change it but they don't change it. If they do this, then Allah (SWT) will punish the particular people who have been doing the wrong and the public as well."'
(Collected by Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal)

cute123
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
jazaikhair sis, all the above collections were gr8 source of knowledge indeed

SixTen
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Abd Allah ibn Mubarak (Allah be pleased with him), said,
How often it is that a small action becomes great by its intention. And how often it is that a great action becomes small by its intention.”
[Dhahabi, Siyar A`lam al-Nubala’, 8: 400]]

(repost, got deleted last time for no source)

Khayal
07-01-2008, 07:53 PM

- Truth is radiant -

Ibn Shahab narrated, that Muath bin Jabal, God be pleased with him, said: "Beware of innovations, for innovations lead to erring. I also warn you about the potential aberration of the scholars, or the possible blunder of the teachers, for it is possible that even a wise man's own satan utters a misleading statement through him, as well as it is possible that a hypocrite speaks a word of truth. Therefore, accept only the truth, for truth is radiant."

Someone asked: "How are we to know whether a wise man is right or wrong in what he says?"
Muath replied: "A wise man may utter a word lightly, and you feel uncomfortable with it and question it in your heart. Do not feel awkward, nor impel yourselves to agree without questioning such statement should your heart not agree with what the wise man may have said, for perhaps, and should his words be unquestionable wrong, he will retract his expression when he hears the truth from you, and therefore he will correct his own statement, for indeed, truth is a radiant light, and it is assertive of itself."
(Hilyatul Awliyaa, Imam Al-Asafahaani (rh))

ummAbdillah
07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee, rahimahullaah, said:

"It is not permissible for anyone to ever say about anything that it is lawful or prohibited, except upon knowledge. This knowledge is what is related in the Book, or the Sunnah, or a consensus (ijmaa'), or an analogy (qiyaas)."

http://www.islaam.net/main/display.p...15&category=13

Khayal
07-03-2008, 06:35 PM

- Race to catch up -

Ubaidullah bin Umar Qawariri said," I never missed the evening congregational prayer (prayer with Jamath). But once a guest came to my house and I remained in his company until late. I went out, looking for any mosque in Basra at which I could catch the evening prayer, but to no avail. The people had all prayed and gone home. I returned to my house,saying to myself,'It is reported in tradition that congregational prayer is twenty-seven times more excellent than individual prayer.' So I prayed the evening prayer twenty-seven times over and slept. I saw in a dream that I was with a group of people who were racing on horses, and I was also racing with them on my horse but my horse was falling behind. I kicked my horse to catch up with them but I could not. One of the riders turned to me and said,"Do not urge your horse, for you will not be able to catch up with us." I said,"Why not?" He replied,"We prayed evening in congregation and you prayed it alone!" Therefore, I learned a lesson and was deeply grieved."
[Imam Dhahabis Al-Kabaair - The major sins]

Khayal
07-05-2008, 04:55 AM
- Asking Relevant Questions -

In the book Tarteeb al-Madaarik by Qadi Iyaadh(rh) he mentions a story amidst his biography of the great scholar and Faqeeh Ziyaad bin Abdur Rahmaan al Qurtubee, a student of Imam Malik(rh). Here is the exact quote:

Habeeb said: We were sitting with Ziyaad one day when a herald of the King came with a parchment. Ziyaad read it and then dipped his pen in ink and wrote a reply. He then rolled up the parchment gently and returned it to the herald to be given to the King.

When the herald had left, Ziyaad turned to us and asked, "Do you know what the author of this parchment asked? He asked about the bowls of the scale (Meezaan) on the day of Qiyaamah- are they made of Dhahab (gold) or Waraq (silver)?

So I wrote back to him: I heard from Malik from Ibn Shihaab who said: The Messenger of Allah(SAW) said, "It is from the beauty of ones Islam that he leaves that which does not concern him." Then I wrote: Don't worry, when you are resurrected you'll find out.

Khayal
07-05-2008, 05:05 PM

- The Essential Questions -

Verily a dead man is taken to the grave, and then the (believer) man (or person) sits in his grave without fear and perturbation.

Afterwards it is said to him: Wherein were you? He will reply: I was in Islam.

He will then he asked: Who is this man? He will reply: Muhammad, The Messenger of Allah. He came to us with clear proof from Allah and so we did believe in him.

It will be questioned to him: Have you seen Allah? He will reply: It is not in power of anybody to see Allah.

Then an opening will be made out for him towards the Fire, and he will see towards it, some hurling down over others. It will be said to him: Look what Allah has saved you from. Then an opening for him will be made towards Paradise and he will cast his glance towards it and what is therein. It will be said to him: This is your place; upon the sure (belief) you lived and on it you will be raised up if the Almighty Allah so wills.

(But) an impious man (or person) will sit in his grave fearful and perturbed.

It will be questioned to him: Wherein were you? He will say: I don't know.

It will then be asked to him: Who is this man? He will reply: I heard the people say a word which I say (too).

Then an opening will be made for him towards Paradise and then he will look to its fineries and what is therein. He will be asked: Look to what Allah has deprived you from. Then an opening will be made for him towards the Fire. He will look at it that some of them were hurling others down. It will be said to him: This is your place, upon doubt you live, upon it you died, and upon it you will be raised up again if the Almighty Allah so wills.

[Narrated by Abu Hurairah and transmitted by Ibne Majah. Mishkat Al-Masabih; Hadith Vol 1 No.131. ]

Khayal
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM

- How do I stop sinning? -

Ibraheem ibn Adham was approached by a man who wanted to stop his sins. He asked for advice that will help him realize the consequences of his actions. He was told:

If you want to disobey Allah, you can, in 5 cases:

1- If you want to disobey Allah, then don't eat from His rizq (provision.)
The man said: Then where am I to eat when every provision is from Allah?

Ibraheem said: O such a person! Is it honorable and good to disobey Allah, and eat from His provision?
The man said: give me the second one.

2- If you want to disobey Allah, then do not live on Allah's property.
The man said: Then where am I to live if not on Allah's property?

Ibraheem said: Is it good then, to eat from His provision, live on His property, and disobey Him?
The man said: Give me the third one.

3- If you want to disobey Allah, then disobey Him in a place where He will not see you.
The man said: How am I to do this when He not only sees what others see, but what is in the hearts?

Ibraheem said: o you such a person, how do you eat from His provision, live on His property, and disobey Him openly?
The man said: Give me the fourth one.

4- If you want to disobey Allah, when the Angel of Death comes to you, tell him to come back later, after you repent.
The man said: He will not accept this from me!

Ibraheem said: O you such a person, when you cannot delay death, how do you expect a savior?
The man said: Give me the fifth.

5- If you want to disobey Allah, then after death comes to you, on the Day of Judgement, when the Angels of Hell come to drag you into Hell, refuse to go with them.
The man said: They will not accept that from me!

Ibraheem said: Then how do you expect to be saved?
The man said: Enough! Enough! I seek forgiveness in Allah and make tawbaah! AstaghfirAllah wa i'tubuu ilayk!

He made sincere tawbaah, and left all his acts of disobedience, and he died in such a state.

cute123
07-09-2008, 07:28 AM
mashallah sis - jazaikhair

ummAbdillah
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Abu Ad-darda’ said:
He who feels that he is in need of this life, then he has no life.‘hilyatul-Auliya’, vol 1 page 210.

Khayal
07-20-2008, 03:02 AM

- Sabrun Jamil - Beautiful Patience -

Mujâhid said: “Beautiful patience is patience without any panic.”

‘Amr ibn Qays said: “Beautiful patience means to be content with adversity and to surrender to the will of Allâh.”

Yûnus ibn Yazîd said: I asked Rabî‘ah ibn Abu ‘Abdur-Rahmân:
“What is the ultimate of patience?”
He said: “To be outwardly the same at the time of affliction as one was the day before it struck.”
(This does not mean that a person does not or should not feel pain or anguish; patience in this instance means that one refrains from panicking and complaining.)

"Whoever tries to be patient, Allah will make him patient. And nobody can be given a better and greater gift than patience."
(Bukhari: Volume 2, Book 24, No. 548)

Omar ibn Al Khattab said: "Whatever hardship befalls a believing servant, Allah will make an opening for him after it, and one hardship will be overcome by two eases."
(Malik Muwatta Book 21, No. 21.1.6)

Commenting on the meaning of Sabrun Jamîl, i.e, beautiful patience, in the verse : "So be patient with a good (i.e, beautiful) patience."
(Quran Ma'aarij 70:5)

Qays ibn al-Hajjâj said: “The person who is suffering from some affliction should behave in such a way that nobody is able to distinguish him from others
(Ibn Qayyim)

cute123
07-20-2008, 05:47 AM
jazakallah khair sis beautiful article

Khayal
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM

- The least torture in Hell-

The severity of its heat, and their variation in it:
An-Nu`man ibn Bashir (RA) narrated that he heard the Prophet(SAW) say:

“The least torture in the Hell on the Day of Judgment is that of a man whose foot sole is laid on a live coal which causes his brain to boil just like a boiler.”
[Bukhari and Muslim]

Muslim narrated in his Sahih:
“He does not think that any other person is tortured more severely than him although he is in the least torture.”
[Muslim]

Abu Huraira (RA) narrated:
This fire of yours which burns the son of Adam (in this world) is the seventieth part of the heat of the Hell. They say: ‘We swear by Allah, our fire is quite enough.’ The Prophet said: ‘It is sixty nine times more and each part of it is like the heat of your fire.’”
[Muslim]

Abu Huraira said that the Prophet (SAW) said:
“The Hell complained to her Rabb: O my Rabb! I am eating myself. He allowed her two breaths: One in winter and the other one in summer, and that is why you feel the heat in Summer and the cold in Winter.”
(Bukhari and Muslim)

Samura narrated that he heard the Prophet, (SAW), said:
Fire holds some to their ankle bones, some to their knees, some to their waists, and some up to their collarbones.”
[Muslim]

This Hadith is a statement for the variation in degrees in the punishment of those in the Hell. We seek protection of Allah from it and from anything that leads to it whether word or deed.

cute123
07-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Jazaikhair sis

Khayal
07-25-2008, 04:17 AM

- 'The food from Allaah'Swt -

Abdullah Ibn Masud (RA) related that the Prophet (SAW) said: "Verily, the Qur’an is the food from Allah, so come closer to it if you are able. Verily, the Qur’an is the rope of Allah, bright light, good medicine, and a guide for those who hold on to it. When he strays, the Qur’an will remind him of the path; and when he is misguided, the Qur’an will correct him. Its miracle lasts forever, and will not be reduced by rejection. Read the Qur’an. Allah will reward each word of your reading tenfold...."
[al-Hakim]

ummAbdillah
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
A man came to al-Hasan (al-Basree) and said, "I wish to debate with you about the Religion." Al-Hasan replied, "I know my Religion. If you have lost your Religion go out and look for it."

[Reported by al-Aajurree in ash-Sharee`ah (p. 57), al-Laalikaa'ee in as-Sunnah (no. 215) and Ibn Battah (no. 586) and it is saheeh.]

Khayal
07-29-2008, 01:04 AM

- The blessing of time -

Al-Hasan Al-Basri said, “Every day the sun rises it calls upon us, “Oh people! I am a new day; I am an observer of your actions. Take advantage of me for I will not return until the Day of Judgment.” “Oh, son of Adam you are nothing but a few breaths. Once one breath goes out, part of you goes with it. In the same way that part of you has gone, soon all of you will go.”

Ibn Al-Qayyim said, “Every gulp of air that goes out in a cause other than the cause of Allah (SWT) will turn to sorrow and regret on the Day of Judgment.” He also said, “A sign that Allah (SWT) despises you is when you find yourself wasting your time with trivial matters; in this way you miss your chance of going to heaven. And a sign that Allah (SWT) likes you is when you find yourself fulfilling more duties than you have time for.” A saying goes, ‘The devil makes work for idle thumbs.’ If you want to know whether Allah (SWT) is pleased with you, then think: Are you busy or idle?

Al-Muhasiby said, “I wish that time could be acquired with money. If so I would buy time from wasteful and ungrateful people so that I could spend it serving Allah (SWT).”

Ibn Masoud said, “I never regretted anything except a day that passed by without having increased my deeds.”

ummAbdillah
08-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Habib ibn Abu Tha’bit said: “While Ibn Mas’oud radiAllaahu ‘anhu was walking, some people were following him; he turned to them and said: ‘Can I help you?’ They said: ‘No but we would like to walk with you’: He radi Allahu ‘anhu said: ‘Go back, for it is a humiliation for the followers and a Fitnah for the person followed.’” – Ibn al-Jawzi, “Sifat as-Safwah”: 1/406

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-02-2008, 10:45 PM

فإن من شاهد في إخلاصه الإخلاص
فقد احتاج إخلاصه إلى إخلاص

"Whenever they see sincerity in their sincerity, their sincerity is in need of sincerity!” - Abu Yaqub al Susi

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

People have discussed about mahabbah (love of Allaah); its causes and what brings it about, its signs, its fruits, and its rulings. The most comprehensive saying about this is what Abu Bakr al-Kattaanee (d.322H) relates about al-Junayd (d.297H).

Abu Bakr al-Kattaanee (d.322H) said: “A discussion about mahabbah took place in Makkah during the Pilgrimage month. The Shaykhs who were present spoke about this matter, and al-Junayd was the youngest of them. They said to him: ‘O ‘Iraqi, what do you have to say?’ So he bowed his head and tears were flowing from his eyes, then he said:

‘A servant should overcome his soul;
And be continuous in the remembrance of his Lord;
Establishing the rights of his Lord;
Focusing upon Him with his heart;
The light of fear letting ablaze his heart;
Whilst drinking from the vessel of true love;
And certain realities become unveiled for him.
So when he talks, it is due to Allaah.
When he speaks, it is from Allaah.
When he moves, it is by the Command of Allaah.
And when he is serene, then it is from Allaah.
He belongs to Allaah, is for Allaah, and is with Allaah.’

So the Shaykhs started to weep and said: ‘How can that be increased upon. May Allaah reward you with good, O crown of the knowledgeable ones!’.”

Taken from: Madaarij-us-Saalikeen, 3/9 (Imaam ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah)

Khayal
08-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Bismillaah!

- Remembering our destination -

Assalaamu Alaikum.
When one’s mind is clear, he will be able to see clearly, thus giving such a person a light in his heart that will allow him to almost witness the Warning and the Promise, Paradise and Hell, and

what Allah has prepared in this (Paradise) For His Awliyaa` (loyal friends) and in that (Hell) for His enemies. He will then witness people rushing out of their graves following the call of the Truth (Resurrection).

The angels in the heavens will the descend and will surround them (creation). Allah will then come to judge (between creation) and His Kursi (literally a footstool or chair) will be raised. The earth will shine with the Light of its Lord (Allah, when He comes to judge between His creation), the Book (of Records) will be opened and the Prophets and the witnesses will be brought forward. The Mizan (Scale) will then be established, the books of (individual) records will fly around and the foes will converge, each holding to its foe. Al-Houdh (the pool that runs outside the gates of Paradise from a river inside it) will then appear and its cups will appear close by.

Thirst will intensify, but those who are allowed to drink are few. Al-Jisr (the bridge over Hell that everyone must pass over into Paradise) will then be laid (over Hell) so that (mankind and the Jinn) can pass over it (as for the disbelievers and those whose sins outweigh their good deeds, they will fall into Hell, where only the disbelievers will reside for eternity). People will then be gathered in its direction.

The Fire (Hell) will appear each part harshly consuming the other parts beneath it. Those who fall into it are far more than those who are saved from it. Then, an eye will be opened in his (the man who is thinking about these scenes) heart with which he will be able to see clearly. His heart will then witness some scenes of the Last Life, along with imagining the various stages of the Last Life which will last for eternity, as compared to this Dunya and its briefness.
[Ibn al Qayyim: Madaarij us-Saalikeen]

Wassalaam.

Khayal
08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Bismillaah!

- Four noble aims -

'Akrama bin Khalid narrated that 'Ali bin Abi Talib (RA) once said: "Learn four things from me, although, even if you were to ride on the speediest racing camels to attain them, your camels will fall exhausted before you can ever arrive at fully accomplishing them;
1) Let a servant implore no one beside his Lord;
2) let a servant fear nothing greater than the consequences of his own sin;
3) let an unlearned person not shy to inquire about what he does not understand; and finally,
4) let no scholar, when asked about something he does not know, shy to say, 'I do not know the answer to that question, surely Allah knows best.' You also must know that patience to one's faith is like the head in relationship to one's body."

[Imam al-Hafiz Abu Naim al-Asfahani, The Beauty of The Righteous, pg. 69]

Khayal
08-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Bismillaah!

- Increasing the help from Allah(SWT) -

Ibn al-Shakheer said: "The goodness of a deed is related to the goodness of the heart, and the goodness of the heart is related to the goodness of the intention."
Furthermore, Ibn al-Qayyim (rh) said: "The degree to which a person is helped and aided by Allaah depends on the degree of his intention, drive, aim and hopes. Help from Allaah comes to people in proportion to their drive, intention, hopes and fears, and failure comes to them in like manner."

waji
08-16-2008, 04:22 AM

The Merits of Forgiveness & Humility

[Sahih Muslim: Book 32 'Kitab Al-Birr was-Salat-I- wa'l-Adab' , Number 6264]

Abu Huraira (Radi Allah Anhu) reported Allah's Messenger (sal-allahu-alleihi- wasallam) as saying:
Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth
And the servant who forgives Allah adds to his respect,
And the one who shows humility Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).

ummAbdillah
08-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Imaam al-Awzaa'ee, rahimahullaah, said, "Knowledge is what comes from the Companions of Muhammad (saws) and that which does not come from a single one of them is not knowledge". Refer to Jaami 'Bayaanil - 'Ilm of Ibn 'Abdul Barr (2/36).

Khayal
08-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Bismillah!

- True friends -

"For various moral, psychological and social reasons, people need good company and close friendship. The type of friends you have, often indicate the type of person you are. 'Show me your friends and I will tell you what you are,' says the well-known proverb. The noble Prophet (pbuh) pointed to the value of good company when he said that it is better to be alone than in the company of the wicked, and it is better to be in the company of the good than to be alone. Good company can be a great source of help and support in leading a virtuous life, while bad company can lead to sin and ruin....
The Prophet (SAW) was asked:
"What is the person that can be the best friend?"
"He who helps you when you remember God, and he who reminds you when you forget Him," the Prophet (SAW) replied.
Then he (SAW) was asked, "And which friend is the worst?"
"He who does not help you when you remember God and does not remind you of God when you forget," he replied.
Then he was again asked, "Who is the best among people?"
He replied, "He who when you look at him, you remember God."

.....When Zaid ibn Harithah (RA), the servant of Muhammad (SAW), was killed at the battle of Mu'tah, the Prophet (SAW) said: "Zayd strove in the path of God sincerely as he should. Today he has met his Lord, and he is serene." Thereafter, Zayd's daughter found the Prophet (SAW) weeping over the dead body of her father and said: "What do I see?" The noble Prophet (SAW), with tears in his eyes, said: "A friend weeping for his friend."

Through such actions and sentiments, the Prophet (SAW) showed his gentleness and brotherhood. "

Khayal
08-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Bismillaah!

- Death is seeking you -

Do not fix your hopes on your health and do not laugh away life.

Remember how they walked and now their joints lie separately,
and the tongue with which they talked lightly is eaten away by worms.
Do not sit idle for indeed death is seeking you
[Hasan al-Basri]

Remember your contemporaries who have passed away and were your age.
Remember the honours and fame they earned, the high posts they held and the beautiful bodies they possessed. Today all of them are turned to dust. They have left orphans and widows behind them, their wealth is being wasted, and their houses turned into ruins. No sign is of them is left today, their wealth is being wasted and their houses turned into ruins. No sign of them is left today and they lie in dark holes underneath the earth. Picture their faces before your minds eye and ponder.

Khayal
08-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Bismillaah!

- For the sake of Allaah SWT -

When the news of the crusader army (Christians) that had prepared on the horizons to wipe out Islam reached him, Abu Qudaamah Ash-Shaamee moved quickly to the Mimbar of the Masjid. In a powerful and emotional speech, Abu Qudaamah ignited the desire of the community to defend their land, Jihad for the sake of Allah. As he left the Masjid, walking down a dark and secluded alley, a women stopped him and said, "As salamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaah!"

Abu Qudaamah stopped and did not answer. She repeated her salam again, adding "this is not how pious people should act." She stepped forward from the shadows. "I heard you in the Masjid encouraging the believers to go for Jihad and all I have is this." She handed him two long braids. "It can be used for a horse rein. Perhaps Allah may write me as one of those who went for Jihaad."

The next day as that Muslim village set out to confront the crusader army, a young boy ran through the gathering and stood at the hooves of Abu Qudaamah's horse. "I ask you by Allah to allow me to join the army." Some of the elder fighters laughed at the boy. "The horses will trample you," they said. But Abu Qudaamah looked down into his eyes as he asked again, "I ask you by Allah, let me join." Abu Qudaamah then said, "On one condition, if you are killed, you will take me to Jannah with you amongst those who you will be allowed to intercede for." That young boy smiled and said "It's a promise."

When the two armies met and the fighting intensified, the young boy on the back of Abu Qudaamah's horse asked, "I ask you by Allah to give me 3 arrows." "You'll lose them!" The boy repeated, "I ask you by Allah to give me them." Abu Qudaamah gave him the arrows and the boy took aim. "Bismillaah!" The arrow flew and killed a Roman. "Bismillaah!" The second arrow flew, killing a second Roman. "Bismillaah!" The third arrow flew, killing a third Roman. An arrow then struck the boy in the chest - knocking him off the horse. Abu Qudaamah jumped down to his side, reminding the boy in his final breaths, "Don't forget the promise!" The boy reached into his pocket, extracted a pouch and said, "Please return this to my mother." "Who's your mother?" asked Abu Qudaamah. "The woman who gave you the braids yesterday."

Khayal
08-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Bismillaah!
- Three Solid Truths -

Once, a person was verbally abusing Abu Bakr (RA) while the Prophet (SAW) was curiously watching with a smile. After taking much abuse quietly, Abu Bakr responded to a few of his comments. At this, the Prophet exhibited his disapproval, got up and left. Abu Bakr caught up with the Prophet and wondered, 'O Messenger of Allaah, he was abusing me and you remained sitting. When I responded to him, you disapproved and got up.' The Messenger of Allaah responded,

'There was an angel with you responding to him. When you responded to him, Shaytaan took his place.'

He then said, 'O Abu Bakr, there are three solid truths: If a person is wronged and he forbears it (without seeking revenge) just for the sake of Allaah (SWT), Allaah will honour him and give him the upper hand with His help; if a person opens a door of giving gifts for cementing relationships with relatives, Allaah will give him abundance; and, if a person opens a door of seeking charity for himself to increase his wealth, Allaah will further reduce his wealth.'
( Mishkaat & Musnad Ahmad)

*Behna*
09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
- Fasting of all the limbs -
Abu Hurayra (RA) relates that Rasulullah (SAW) said: "Many of those who fast obtain nothing through such fasting except hunger, and many a one performs "Salaat" by' night but obtains nothing by it, except the discomfort of staying awake."
(Ibn Majah & Nasai)

With regard to this Hadith, the "Ulama" have mentioned three different interpretations:

First, this Hadith may refer to those who fast during the day and then for "Iftaar" eat food that is "Haraam"; all the reward for fasting is lost because of the greater sin of eating 'Haraam' and nothing is gained except remaining hungry.

Secondly, it may mean those who fast duly but, during fasting, engage themselves in backbiting and slandering others.

Thirdly, the person referred to may be one who, while fasting, did not stay away from evil and sin. In this Hadith all such possibilities are included.

Khayal
09-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Bismillaah
- The wisdom behind delaying the answer for a supplication -

It is puzzling your insistence on asking for your desires and when ever they were delayed your insistence increases without thinking that your are not granted what you ask for because of:

1. Your benefit (for what you have asked could be a harm to you in a way)

2. Your sins (for the sinner's prayers are not answered).

If it was the second reason, you will have to clear the path of answering from the stains of sins. If it was the first reason then look at what you ask for:

Is it to strengthen your religion, or just a plain earthly desire? If it was only an earthly desire, then know that it is the kindness and the mercy of Allah that delayed it for you, and by your insistence, you are like a child that asks for what harms him and he is denied that for his own good. And if you think that what you asked for is for the benefit of your religion then your benefit could be in delaying it, or the well-being of your faith is by the nonexistence of it.

In other words, the planning of the Truth the Almighty (Allah) is better for you than your own planning, and He could deprive you from what you ask to test your patience. So let Him see from you a determined patience and you will soon see from Him what will give you joy. And when you have cleaned the paths of answering (of supplication) from the stains of sin and was patient about what He has chosen for you, then every thing that happens to you is better for you whether you were given or deprived of what you have requested. [Imaam Ibn al-Jawzee (rh) ]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-12-2008, 03:53 AM

From the poetry of the Companion, Hasan ibn Thabit, r.a.:
With Allaah's leave, I bear witness that Muhammad
is the Prophet of the One Who is above the Heavens;
that both John and his father
did good things that pleased God;
that the Son of Mary, whom the Jews denied
was a prophet sent by the Lord of the Throne;
that the prophet who was sent to the people of Ahqaf
called them to submit to Allaah and did justly.
Upon hearing these lines, the Messenger of Allaah saw said: "I also bear witness."*

Diwan Hassan Ibn Thabit (Walid Arafat, ed.; Dar Sadir, 1394/1974), p. 403

*The saying of the Messenger of Allah was narrated in a mursal tradition. See Adh-Dhahabi, As-Siyar, 2: 518-519

Khayal
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Bismillaah!

- Expectations of the Mercy of Allah (SWT) -

There once lived a pious man who was enslaved to a wicked master. The righteous slave wanted to teach his master a lesson that he would not forget, a lesson that would make him change his ways.

The Master told him one day to plant wheat. The slave took the opportunity. He went and collected seeds of barley and planted them. As the season drew near, the master was enraged to see that after all this work and time the slave had planted the wrong seed. In his thrashing rage, he scolded the slave saying, "Why did you do this?"

The righteous slave said, "I had hope that the barley seeds would come out as wheat."

The Master said, "How can you plant barley seeds and expect it to come out as wheat?"

The slave stopped and said quietly, "How can you disobey Allah and expect for His bounteous mercy? How can you openly challenge his Deen and hope for Jannah."

The Master was stunned and silent. He understood. "You have taught me something today that I had never realized. You are free for the sake of Allah."

Khayal
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Bismillaah!
- Advice of Sufyan Al-Thawri (rh)-

Sufyân ath-Thawrî (rh) wrote to ’Abbâd ibn ’Abbâd al-Khawwâs al-Arsûfî (rh) saying:
To proceed: You are in a time which the Companions of the Prophet (SAW) used to seek refuge from reaching, and they had the knowledge that we do not have, and they had precedence which we do no. So how is it for us, when we reach that, having little knowledge, little patience, few helpers upon what is good, corruption of the people and pollution of this world?! So take to the original state of affairs and cling to it. I advise you to remain unknown, since this is the age for remaining anonymous (khumûl). And remain aloof and mix little with the people, since before, when the people met, they would benefit from each other. But today that has gone and your safety - in our view - lies in abandoning them. Beware of the Rulers. Beware of coming near to them and of mixing with them in any of the affairs. Beware of being deceived, so that it is said to you: Intercede [for me], so that you help one oppressed, or repel an act of oppression - because that is from the deception of Iblîs, which the wicked reciters have taken as a means to attain a favorable position. It used to be said: Beware of the trial of the ignorant worshipper and the wicked scholar, because the trial of these two is indeed a trial for everyone put to trial.

If you find questions and need for fatwâ, then take take advantage of it - but do not compete desirously for it. And beware of being like the one who loves that his saying is acted upon, or that his saying is publicised or listened to, and if that is abandoned, the effects of that are seen upon him.

And beware of the love of leadership, since leadership may be more beloved to a man than gold and silver - but it is something difficult and obscure; and this will not be understood except by wise Scholars. So seek after your lost soul and work with correct intention and know that there has come near to the people a matter which a person would be desirous of death.
Was-salâm

Re.TiReD
09-21-2008, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal
Bismillaah

- The wisdom behind delaying the answer for a supplication -

It is puzzling your insistence on asking for your desires and when ever they were delayed your insistence increases without thinking that your are not granted what you ask for because of:

1. Your benefit (for what you have asked could be a harm to you in a way)

2. Your sins (for the sinner's prayers are not answered).

If it was the second reason, you will have to clear the path of answering from the stains of sins. If it was the first reason then look at what you ask for:

Is it to strengthen your religion, or just a plain earthly desire? If it was only an earthly desire, then know that it is the kindness and the mercy of Allah that delayed it for you, and by your insistence, you are like a child that asks for what harms him and he is denied that for his own good. And if you think that what you asked for is for the benefit of your religion then your benefit could be in delaying it, or the well-being of your faith is by the nonexistence of it.

In other words, the planning of the Truth the Almighty (Allah) is better for you than your own planning, and He could deprive you from what you ask to test your patience. So let Him see from you a determined patience and you will soon see from Him what will give you joy. And when you have cleaned the paths of answering (of supplication) from the stains of sin and was patient about what He has chosen for you, then every thing that happens to you is better for you whether you were given or deprived of what you have requested. [Imaam Ibn al-Jawzee (rh) ]

JazakAllah khayr sis! :thumbs_up

Khayal
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM

bismillaah!

- To love someone for the sake of Allaah(SWT) -

Abu Hurairah (RA) narrates: Rasoolillah (SAW) said: A person set out to visit his (Muslim) brother in another village and Allah sent an angel to wait for him on his way. (When this man reached the angel) the angel asked: Where are you heading? He replied: I am heading for a brother of mine in this village. The angel asked: Does he owe you something, which you want to get back? The man replied: No. I just love him for the sake of Allah. The angel said: I am Allah's courier (informer) to you, to inform you that Allah loves you just as you love him for His sake.

[Sahih Muslim]

- Remaining faithful to Allaah(SWT) -

A qualified medical worker from India emigrated to Canada to live a better life. This Muslim brother had a beard. He applied to many different places for a job and was called for interviews. Though he was highly qualified for the jobs, the interviewers hesitated to hire him because of his beard. One by one, he was rejected from all the companies. One interviewer actually mentioned to him indirectly that his beard was an obstacle to getting the job. Trully, it was a big test for him from Allah. Hopeless and exhausted, the brother decided to remove the obstacle, which was to shave off his beard. Then he returned to that company and requested for another interview. When the interviewer saw him without a beard this time, he refused to give him the job again. The brother became confused and asked to know the reason. The interviewer said "If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

Khayal
09-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Bismillaah!

- The hardest advice -

"To advise others is an easy matter, the difficulty is accepting advice since it is bitter for those who follow their own inclinations and desires."

[Abu Hamid]

- The sincere person... -

"The sincere person is the one who hides his good deeds just like he hides his evil deeds."
(by Yaqub al-Makfoof)

- The victorious ones -

Imaam Ahmad(rh) said: "All praise and thanks are due to Allaah, who in every age and interval between the Prophets, raises up a group from the People of Knowledge, who call the misguided to guidance and patiently bear ill-treatment and harm. With the Book of Allaah they give life to the dead, and by Allaah's light they give sight to the blind. How many a person killed by Iblees have they revived. How many people astray and wandering have they guided. How beautiful their effect has been upon the people and how vile people have been towards them. They expel from the Book of Allaah the alterations of those going beyond bounds, the false claims of the liars and the false interpretations of the ignorant ones- those who uphold the banner of innovation and let loose the trials and discord, who differ about the Book, oppose the Book and agree to oppose the Book. Those who speak about Allaah and His Book without knowledge, argue about what is ambigious in the Book and deceive the ignorant with such ambiguities. We seek refuge in Allaah from the trials of the misguided ones."
[ar-Radd 'alaal-Jahmiyyah waz-Zanaadiqah]

Re.TiReD
09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

'It is Allah we implore, and whose answer we await, to watch over you in this life and the next. To shower you with His graces, outwardly and inwardly, and to make you among those who; when blessed, give thanks; when tried, persevere; and when sinful, seek forgiveness. For these three conditions are tokens of the servants’ happiness...'
Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

Khayal
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Bismillaah!

- The believers prison -

'Abdullah ibn Mubarak (may Allah have mercy on him) would say, "The world is the believer's prison. The best action in the prison is patience and control of one's anger. The believer has no country in the world. His land will be there tomorrow in the Afterlife."

Khayal
10-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Bismillaah!

The following three are from patience: Do not speak about a calamity that has befallen you. Do not speak about your pain and do not praise yourself"
[Sufyan-Al Thawri(rh)]

Re.TiReD
10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
1. 'Uthmaan (radiAllahu anhu) said: “Knowledge is better than wealth; Knowledge protects you and you (have to) protect wealth.” (al-Khateeb in al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih - Volume 1, Page 15; Mabaahith fee Ahkaam al-Fatwa - Page 12)

2. Abu Zur’ah ar-Raazee (rahimahullah) (died 264A.H.) said:“My ears have never heard anything of knowledge except that it has rested upon my heart (i.e. I have memorized it). Whilst I would walk through the market of Baghdad , I could hear the sound of female singers from the rooms, so I would put my fingers in my ears (to block out the sound) out of fear that it may rest upon my heart (i.e. I may end up memorizing the words.”(al-Hifth – Ahammiyyatuhu, ‘Ajaa.ibuhu, Tareeqatuhu, Asbaabuhu – Page 19 Taareekh Baghdaad – Volume 15, Page 333)

3. Muhammad ibn Muslim az-Zuhree (rahimahullah) (died 125A.H.) narrated: “There is nothing I have (ever) memorised and then (later) forgotten.” (al-Hifth – Ahammiyyatuhu, ‘Ajaa.ibuhu, Tareeqatuhu, Asbaabuhu – Page 15 Hilyatul-Awliyaa. – Volume 3, Page 364 al-Jaami’ lil-Khateeb – Volume 2, Page 264)

Khayal
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM

bismillaah!

If Allah (SWT) answers your prayers, He is increasing your "Faith"; If He (SWT) delays, He is increasing your "Patience"; If He (SWT) does not answer, He has "Something better for you"

Anas bin Malik(RA) narrates that Rasoolillah (SAW) said "A mans faith is never perfect until his heart is straight and a mans heart is never perfect until his tongue is straight"
(Ahmed)

The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: ""Blessed is the person who God has made a key for good and a lock for evil."

[Al-Tirmidhi]

Khayal
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Bismillaah!

-Take 5 things from me-

Take 5 things from me: Let none of you fear anything but his wrong actions; Let him hope for nothing but His Lord; Let someone who does not know, not be ashamed of saying "Allah knows best"; Patience has the same relation to Iman as the head does to the body; When patience goes then Iman goes, for when the head goes so too does the body"
[Ali (RA)]

Khayal
10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Bismillaah!

The Prophet (SAW) said, "Allah the Exalted revealed to Musa ibn Imran (Moses) in the Torah that the source of all mistakes are three - arrogance, envy and greed.
Another six diseases were born out of these three, and thus they became nine - satiety, excessive sleep, excessive rest, love of wealth, love of praise, and love of leadership.'
[Preparing for the Day of Judgement by Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani]

Re.TiReD
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
ash-Shaafi'ee (rahimahullah) said: Knowledge is that which benefits, not that which is memorized.(Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa. - Volume 10, Page 89)

Khayal
10-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Bismillaah!

Allah(SWT) does not inspire seeking forgiveness in a servant whom He wishes to punish"
[Ali (RA)]

Re.TiReD
10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
On the authority of Sufyaan ath-Thawree (rahimahullah) who said: “We do not know of anything better than seeking knowledge with (a sincere) intention (for the sake of Allah)” (Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa. - Volume 7, Page 244)

cute123
10-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Taken from the various compilations of Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] and his
famous student Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah [rahimahullah] :

How sound is your knowledge and action?

* This whole religion revolves around knowing the truth and acting by
it, and action must be accompanied by patience.(1)

* Guidance is not attained except with knowledge and correct
direction is not attained except with patience.(2)

To what extent do you practice real servitude?

* Whoever desires everlasting bliss, let him adhere firmly to the
threshold [entrance] of servitude [the state of being a slave].(3)

* The Jihad [utmost striving] against the soul is the foundation for
the Jihad against the disbelievers and hypocrites.( 4)

How well do you worship Him?

* Worship is founded upon the Legal Law [called Shari'ah] and
following it, not upon ones base desires and innovation.( 5)

What are you prepared for?

* Every Punishment from Him is pure justice and every blessing from
Him is pure grace.(6)

* The Lord loves to be Loved.(7)

References:

(1) Taken from Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] 's famous fataawa series
Majmoo al-Fataawa, 10/38.

(2) Taken from Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] 's famous fataawa series
Majmoo al-Fataawa, 10/40.

(3) Taken from Ibn al-Qayyim [rahimahullah] 's famous book al-Madaarij
us-Saalikeen, 1/531.

(4) Taken from Ibn al-Qayyim [rahimahullah] 's famous book ar-Rawdaah,
page 478.

(5) Taken from Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] 's famous fataawa series
Majmoo al-Fataawa, 1/80.

(6) Taken from Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] 's famous fataawa series
Majmoo al-Fataawa, 10/85.

(7) Taken from Ibn Taymiyyah [rahimahullah] 's famous fataawa series
Majmoo al-Fataawa, 1/54.

ummAbdillah
11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
An Imaam from the Salaf Fudayl Ibn Iyaad (d. 187, rahimahullaah) said:

'If Allaah (the Mighty and Majestic), knows that a man hates a person of innovation, He will forgive him even if his actions are few. A person of Sunnah would not help an innovator except due to hypocrisy. Whoever turns his face away from an innovator, Allaah will fill his heart with faith. Whoever frightens an innovator away, Allaah will grant him safety on the Day of Great Terror and whoever debases an innovator, Allaah will raise him in Paradise by a hundred ranks, so, for Allaah, never shelter an innovator'

[Source: (Ittihaaful Qaaree Bitta'liqaat Alaa Sharhis Sunnah Lil Imaam Barbahaaree (rahimahullaah). Vol 2: page:325-326]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-24-2008, 02:30 AM

The soul is a temptress and loves to look at beautiful forms and the eye is the guide of the heart. The heart commissions its guide to go and look to see what is there and when the eye informs it of a beautiful image it shudders out of love and desire for it. Frequently such inter-relations tire and wear down both the heart and the eye as is said:
When you sent your eye as a guide,
for your heart one day, the object of sight fatigued you.
For you saw one over whom you had no power,
Neither a portion nor in totality, instead you had to be patient.
- Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al-Jawziyyah (rahimullah) in ‘al-Muntaqâ min Ighâthatul Lufhân fî Masâyid ash-Shaytân

Not a quote from the Salaf...but it's seriously profound.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM

I approached the graves and called out to it
Where is the exalted one and where is the debased?

Where is the one who was arrogant in his reign?
And where is the strong one when he did gain power?

All have fleeted, so there is no informer
And all have died and so has the news

The daughters of riches come and go
So they wipe away the beauty of such a picture

So O' questioner of a people who've now passed away
Is there not a lesson for you, in what has gone by?

- Attributed to Malik ibn Dinar (d 130)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Imam Ahmad said:

The adhan is made in the baby's ear at birth while the prayer is delayed till his death - A sign that his life is short just like the time between the adhan and the prayer.

[Manaqib al-Imam Ahmad by Ibn al-Jawzi]

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-20-2009, 03:29 AM
كتب حكيم الى حكيم: يا أخي قد أوتيت علما, فلا تدنس علمك بظلمة الذنوب, فتبقِى في الظلمة يوم يسعى أهل العلم بنور علمهم.

A wise man wrote to another wise man:
‘O my brother, you have indeed been given knowledge, so do not pollute your knowledge with the darkness of sins – such that you remain in darkness on the Day that the people of knowledge speed forth with the light of their knowledge.’”

From ‘Diwaan’ - Imam ash-Shaafi’i rahimahullah.

'Abd-al Latif
02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
كتب حكيم الى حكيم: يا أخي قد أوتيت علما, فلا تدنس علمك بظلمة الذنوب, فتبقِى في الظلمة يوم يسعى أهل العلم بنور علمهم.

A wise man wrote to another wise man:
‘O my brother, you have indeed been given knowledge, so do not pollute your knowledge with the darkness of sins – such that you remain in darkness on the Day that the people of knowledge speed forth with the light of their knowledge.’”

From ‘Diwaan’ - Imam ash-Shaafi’i rahimahullah.

The first wise man is was actually Imam Maalik who is talking to to Imam Ash-Shafi`ee when he met Imam Maalik to study under him. Imam Ash-Shafi`ee also said in this meeting that he memorized Imam Maaliks hadeeth book (al Muwatta) in 9 days.

'Abd-al Latif
05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
It is reported from Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:

The life of this world is made up of three days: yesterday has gone with all that was done; tomorrow, you may never reach; but today is for you so do what you should do today.

Al-Bayhaqî, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabîr p197.

'Abd-al Latif
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Ma’n b. ‘Îsâ reports

Mâlik b. Anas was once returning from the mosque, leaning on my arm, when a man called Abû Al-Juwayrîyah who was accused of Al-Irjâ` caught up with him. He said. “O Abû ‘Abdullâh, listen to something I have to say and debate with me and let me tell you my opinion.” [Imâm] Mâlik said, “And what if you overcome me?” The man replied, “If I defeat you, you follow me.” Mâlik asked, “And what if another man comes and defeats us?” He replied, “Then we follow him.” To this, Mâlik – Allâh’s mercy be upon him – said, “O servant of Allâh, Allâh sent Muhammad - Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – with a single religion, but I see you moving from religion to religion. ‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-‘Azîz said, ‘Whoever makes his religion the object of argumentation will frequently change it.’”

Al-Âjurrî, Ktâb Al-Sharî’ah Vol.1 p128.

'Abd-al Latif
05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Imâm Mâlik – Allah have mercy on him – said:

Knowledge is not to be taken from four types of people: a foolish person who openly acts foolish, even if he reports the most narrations; an adherent of bid’ah who calls to his desires; a person who lies, even if I don’t accuse him of lying in hadîth; and a righteous pious worshipper who does not accurately retain what he narrates.

Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Imâm Mâlik.

Abu Sukkar
05-14-2009, 09:35 AM
People plzzzzz try to always get the references as well.

I love these.

'Abd-al Latif
05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Gratitude may be in the heart, in submission and humility; on the tongue, in praise and acknowledgement; and in the physical faculties, by means of obedience and submission.

Madaarij al-Saalikeen (2/246)

'Abd-al Latif
05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
‘Abdullah b. ‘Umar – Allah be pleased with him – said:

Every bid’ah (religious innovation) is misguidance, even if people think it is good.

Al-Lâlakâ’î in Sharh Usûl I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah Vol 1. P134, no.111; and Ibn Battah in Al-Ibânah Al-Kubraa Vol.1 p219, no. 213

'Abd-al Latif
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Sincere and Correct

Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd [187H] – Allah have mercy on him – said:

“Allah (‘azza wa jalla) accepts only those deeds which are both correct and sincere (pure). If the deed is done correctly but not sincerely, it will not be accepted. And if it is sincere but not correct, it will not be accepted.” He was asked, “Abû ‘Alî! What is the sincere and correct deed?” He replied, “The sincere deed is one that is done only for Allah ‘azza wa jall. And the correct deed is one done according to the Sunnah.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol.8 p95.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Sufyaan Ibn ’Uyaynah (d.198H) – Rahimahullaah – said:

“He whose sin is due to desire, then have hope for him; and he whose sin is due to pride, then fear for him. Because Adam (alayhis-salaam) sinned due to desire, and he was forgiven; and Iblis sinned due to pride, and he was cursed.”

Related by Imaam adh-Dhahabee in Siyar A’laamun-Nubalaa (8/471)

'Abd-al Latif
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

''Come and be with Allah, and draw close to Him in an abode of peace, with no exhaustion or tiredness or suffering via the closest and easiest routes. You are in a time between two times, which in fact is your life, your current time, between the past and the future. What has passed can be set right by repentance and regret and prayers for forgiveness, and that is something which will not exhaust you or tire you out and is not difficult. Rather it is an action of the heart. As for the future, you should refrain from committing sin, and refraining from sin will give you a great deal of peace of mind. It is not a physical action that is too hard to do, rather it is resolve and firm intention, which will bring physical and mental peace. But what matters is your life, which is your time between two times. If you waste it you will lose happiness and salvation. But if you take care of the present as well as correcting the past and the future as described above, then you will be saved and will have peace of mind, pleasure and tranquility. Taking care of it is more difficult than setting right that which comes before and after it, for taking care of it requires you to do that which is best and most beneficial for you, and which is most likely to bring happiness, and people differ greatly with regard to that.''

Al-Fawaa’id (p117).

'Abd-al Latif
06-30-2009, 09:20 PM

''Looking is the origin of most of the problems that befall man, because looking generates thoughts, then thoughts generate ideas, and ideas generate desires, and desires generate will, which then becomes stronger and becomes firm resolve, in which case the deed will inevitably be done unless there is something to prevent it. Hence it was said that patience in lowering the gaze is easier than patience in bearing the pain that comes afterwards.''

Al-Jawaab al-Kaafi, p. 106

Ali_008
07-01-2009, 03:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

''Looking is the origin of most of the problems that befall man, because looking generates thoughts, then thoughts generate ideas, and ideas generate desires, and desires generate will, which then becomes stronger and becomes firm resolve, in which case the deed will inevitably be done unless there is something to prevent it. Hence it was said that patience in lowering the gaze is easier than patience in bearing the pain that comes afterwards.''

Al-Jawaab al-Kaafi, p. 106
Subhanallah, Ibn-Qayyim (rahimahullah) was an absolute genius. I wish I could meet him and see him. Inshallah, in Jannah.

'Abd-al Latif
07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Shaykh al-Shanqeeti (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

''How many people criticize something sound when their problem is their own misunderstanding''

Adwa’ al-Bayaan (3/389)

'Abd-al Latif
07-01-2009, 05:21 PM
It is reported that ‘Abdullâh bin ‘Abbâs – may Allâh be pleased with him – said,

“Love for Allâh and hate for Allâh, make your enmity because of Allâh and your allegiance because of Allâh; for indeed, the love and support of Allâh is not achieved save through this. And a man will never taste true faith (îmân) – though he may pray and fast much – except when he is like that. Today, the people’s brotherhood is based upon worldly considerations (dunyâ), but this will not do anything for them on the Day of Resurrection.”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 353

'Abd-al Latif
07-01-2009, 05:25 PM
It is reported that Shurayhmay Allâh have mercy on him – said,

“If I am afflicted with a calamity, I praise Allâh for it four times: I praise Him because it wasn’t worse than it was, I praise Him when He gives me the patience to bear it, I praise Him for enabling me to say al-istirjâ’ (‘To Allâh we belong and to him we will return’; see Al-Baqarah: 154-156 ) in hope of a great reward, and I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of Shurayh Al-Qâdî.

ummAbdillah
07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Ibn Abi Mulaykah narrated:
"'Ikrimah bin Abi Jahl used to press the Mushaf to his face and cry, saying: "The Book of my Lord! The Words of my Lord!""

[Reported by 'Abdullah bin al-Mubarak in 'al-Jihad'; # 56]

ummAbdillah
08-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Hurmulah said: I heard ash-shaafi'ee say: "I hoped to be rewarded for all the knowledge that I possessed and that the people had learnt from me, but (i desired) that they would not praise me."

Source: As-Siyar 10/55

nightingale
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Abdul-Wahid bin Abdullah al-Muhaidib Said:

The people of Islam are strangers amongst mankind, then the people of Eemaan are strangers amongst the people of Islam, then the people of knowledge are strangers amongst the people of Eemaan, then the people sticking to the Sunnah, those who take care to distinguish it from desires and innovations, are strangers, then those who call to it while being patient in face of the harms caused by those who turn away are the most strange.

'Abd-al Latif
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightingale
Abdul-Wahid bin Abdullah al-Muhaidib Said:

The people of Islam are strangers amongst mankind, then the people of Eemaan are strangers amongst the people of Islam, then the people of knowledge are strangers amongst the people of Eemaan, then the people sticking to the Sunnah, those who take care to distinguish it from desires and innovations, are strangers, then those who call to it while being patient in face of the harms caused by those who turn away are the most strange.
Please add the source of your quote.

scented blood
09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
It is reported that Shurayhmay Allâh have mercy on him – said,

“If I am afflicted with a calamity, I praise Allâh for it four times: I praise Him because it wasn’t worse than it was, I praise Him when He gives me the patience to bear it, I praise Him for enabling me to say al-istirjâ’ (‘To Allâh we belong and to him we will return’; see Al-Baqarah: 154-156 ) in hope of a great reward, and I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.”
Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of Shurayh Al-Qâdî.
SubhanAllah!! JazakAllah khair!

'Abd-al Latif
12-21-2010, 10:56 PM
It is reported that ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allâh be pleased with him – said,

“The servant [of Allâh] should not fear except his sins, and should not hope except in his Lord. The ignorant should not be ashamed to ask, and the knowledgeable should not be ashamed to say – if he does not know something – ‘Allâh knows best.’ Patience (al-sabr) to faith (Al-Îmân) is like the head to the rest of the body: if the head is cut off, the body will rot. And one who has no patience, has no faith.”

Al-Baihaqî, Shu’ab Al-Îmân, Vol.12 p195.

Flame of Hope
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faiza.
Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhiyAllaahu 'anhu) said:

Does anyone know what this means? Jazakallahu khair!!

Abz2000
02-18-2011, 10:25 PM
may Almighy God reward you with good.
jaza-reward
ka-you
Allah-Almighty God
khair-good/well

Flame of Hope
02-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhiyAllaahu 'anhu) said:

I guess nobody knows what this means?

ummAbdillah
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flame
I guess nobody knows what this means?
"Sunnah"

In the language: "a path/way or a course" [1]

Its usage in the Sharee'ah: "the guidance which the Messenger and his companions were upon in terms of knowledge, belief, speech and action. This is the Sunnah, the following of which is obligatory, whose adherents have been praised, and whose abandoners have been rebuked [2]. The term 'sunnah' is also used for the various acts of worship and beliefs, just as everything which is contrary to it is termed 'bid'ah' (innovation)" [3]

"Jamaa'ah"

In the language: "is from Ijtimaa' (a gathering, where people come together, i.e. a unification) and this is the opposite of separation, dispersal. The Jamaa'ah are a people who have united together on a certain matter/affair". [4]

Its usage in the Sharee'ah: "They are the salaf[5] of this Ummah, from among the Sahaabas (companions) and the Taabi'een (successors of the Companions) and whoever follows them in goodness till the Day of Judgement. They are those who unite themselves upon the Book and the Sunnah and upon their leaders (i.e. their scholars) and those who travel upon that which the Messenger, His Companions and those who followed them in goodness were upon". [6]

Sources:
1. See [Mukhtaar us-Suhhaah] p. 317 and Ibn Mandhoor's [Lisaan ul-Arab] 13/220 -228

2. See [Al-Wasiyyat ul-Kubraa Fee Aqeedatu Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah] p23, [Sharh Aqeedat ul-Waasitiyyah] by Muhammad Khaleel Kharraas p.16, and [Sharh Aqeedat ut-Tahaawiyyah] p.33.

3. See [Al-Amr bil-Ma'roof wan-Nahee anil-Munkar] by Ibn Taymiyah p.77.

4. See [Lisaan ul-Arab] 8/53-60.

5. Salaf : Its meaning in the arabic language is 'those who precede, have gone before'. Its usage: a word used by the earliest scholars for the first three generations of muslims and those who are upon their way in accordance with the hadeeth of the Messenger which is reported by Bukhaaree: "The best of generations is my generation, then those that follow them, then those that follow them". Imaam Abu Haneefah (rahimahullaah) d. 769 (150 H.) said: "Adhere to the athar (narration) and the tareeqah (way) of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) and beware of newly invented matters for all of it is innovation" [Reported by As-Suyootee in Sawn al Mantaq wal-Kalaam p.32] By clinging to their way, holding on to their beliefs and understanding them as they did, worshipping Allaah in His Oneness, upon the Authentic Sunnah of the Messenger in the manner of the Companions one is guaranteed success in this life and security from the Fire in the next life. When questioned by his companions about those who will be saved from the Fire, the Messenger replied: "They are those who are upon what I and my companions are upon" [Reported by Tirmidhee from Amr ibn al-Aas - Hadeeth Hasan] All the great scholars from the earliest to the later times have advised clinging to the way and methodology (manhaj) of the Salaf and adherence to it as it is the only means of deliverance. Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) says: "There is no fault/criticism for the one who manifests/proclaims the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf, who attaches himself to it and refers to it. Rather, it is obligatory to accept that from him by unanimous agreement (Ittifaaq) because the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf is nothing but the Truth (Haqq)" [Majmoo al-Fataawaa 4:149]

6. See [Al-I'tisaam] by Ash-Shaatibee 1/23 and [Sharh Aqeedat il-Waasitiyyah] by Haras p.16-17 and [Sharh Aqeedat it-Tahaawiyyah] p.33
:wa:

ummAbdillah
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Beneficial Brotherhood and Love

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. ‘Abbâs – Allâh be pleased with him – said, “Love for Allâh and hate for Allâh, make your enmity because of Allâh and your allegiance because of Allâh; for indeed, the love and support of Allâh is not achieved save through this. And a man will never taste true faith (îmân) – though he may pray and fast much – except when he is like that. Today, the people’s brotherhood is based upon worldly considerations (dunyâ), but this will not do anything for them on the Day of Resurrection.”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 353.

ummAbdillah
02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Yahyaa bin Katheer said, "Sulaimaan bin Daawood – alaihis salaam – said: Do no pass a judgement over anyone with anything until you see whom he befriends." Al-Ibaanah (2/464)

'Abd-al Latif
07-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Certainly the strength of Yusuf's sincerity ('alyhis-salam) was stronger than the beauty of the Azeez's wife, stronger than her allure and his want for her.

Ibn Taymiyah.

'Abd-al Latif
07-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said:

The believers are continually tested [by trials] to purify their imaan and to expiate their sins. This is because the believer performs his actions for the sake of Allah, so it is [incumbent] upon Allah to reward him for that harm which he endured.

Majmoo’ il Fataawah Vol 18/291-305

'Abd-al Latif
09-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Ibn Qayyim:

"Man taught his dog how to catch prey for him and the dog overcame his desire to eat the prey out of respect for his owner and fear of his power, and Allah taught you and you do not accept His teaching."

(al-Fawaa'id, p.120)

Muhammad
09-22-2012, 07:01 PM

I wasn't really sure where to post this. It's a nice little reminder from our mother Aisha radhiyallahu anha, that we must trust in Allaah (swt) - He is the Provider.

Maria Alandalus
09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Imaam Ash-Shaafi’i said:

“Every issue of which I spoke in a manner that goes against the Sunnah, I retract it during my lifetime and after my death.” [Al-Khateeb in Al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih]

strivingobserver98
01-20-2016, 02:55 AM
Deep quote:

If you want to know your value with your Lord, look to how He is using you and what actions He has kept you busy with.

- Imam Ibn al-Jawzi

Ali Hammuda
01-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Ibnul Jawzi says:
تلمّح فجر الأجر يهُن ظلام التكليف
“Keep your eyes on the sunrise of reward. The darkness of obligations will suddenly seem easy”

strivingobserver98
01-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Al-Fudayl Ibn 'Iyad said:
I have not found anything as wholesome or healing than making istighfār. Even when a person cannot sleep, if he makes istighfār ( O Allah forgive me) ,Shaytan will say: It is better for me to let him sleep than to allow him to make more istighfār!

strivingobserver98
01-30-2016, 07:28 PM
"By Allah’s right over you. Do you know who a [true] man is? A [true] man is, by Allah, one who when he finds himself alone with what he desires from the forbidden, and [finds himself] capable of doing it, and yearned in his thirst for it… He looked at Allah’s watching over him, and fell ashamed at fulfilling his desires in that which Allah hates. So his thirst [for it] dispersed."

(Said Al-Khatir by Ibn Al-jawzi)

Khalid Saifullah
02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
" Each of your breaths is a priceless jewel, since each of them is irreplaceable and, once gone, can never be retrieved.

Do not be like the deceived fools who are joyous because each day their wealth increases while their life shortens. What good is an increase in wealth when life grows ever shorter?

Therefore be joyous only for an increase in knowledge or in good works, for they are your two companions who will accompany you in your grave when your family, wealth, children and friends stay behind."

[Imam Abu Hamid Al-Ghazali ]

strivingobserver98
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Al-Imam ‎Ibn Qayyim رحمه الله said:

"Wealth goes away as it is spent, but knowledge grows upon spending it."

‎● [مفتاح دار السعادة ١٢٩/١]

strivingobserver98
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
‎Ibn Mas'ūd رضي الله عنه:

"This world is taken as a home (only) by those who have no real home in the Hereafter."

‎● [ذم الدنيا]

strivingobserver98
03-01-2016, 07:36 PM
‎Abū Sulayman ad-Daranī:

"When the Dunyā settles in a person's heart, the 'Ākhira leaves."

‎● [البداية والنهاية ١٤/١٥٠]

strivingobserver98
03-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Imam Shāfīʿī said: "The first squeeze of the grave will cause you to forget your wedding night."

● [ديوان الإمام الشافعي صفحة ٦٨]

Ali Hammuda
03-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Hamdun son of Ahmad was asked:

"Why is it that the words of our predecessors are more beneficial than ours?"

He responded:
"Because they spoke for the dignity of Islam, for the safety of their souls and for the pleasure of Allah. As for us, we speak for the dignity of our selves, for the pursuit of worldly gains and for the pleasure of people"

Khalid Saifullah
03-11-2016, 01:22 PM
“He who gossips with you,
will gossip about you.”
- Imam Muhammad ibn Idris as-Shafaee RA

strivingobserver98
03-18-2016, 09:57 PM
"A man should be content with having one wife and should not take advantage of permissibility of enjoying more than one woman, for it disperses the heart and weakens the strength, and the desires for women have no end."
[Ibn Al-Jawzi]

strivingobserver98
03-26-2016, 02:16 PM
The Best Thing I've Read Today |

A duʿāʾ by Imām Ibn al-Jawzī,

❝Allāhuma, do not punish a tongue that tells people about You;
Nor an eye that looks into the sciences which lead to You;
Nor a foot that has walked in Your service;
Nor a hand that has written the narrations of Your Messenger ﷺ;
By Your Glory I ask You: Do not enter me into Hellfire, for I see myself to be defending Your Religion.
Allāh, have mercy on the one who says Amīn.❞
Amīn.

strivingobserver98
03-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Al-Fudhayl ibn 'Iyaadh said: "He who frequently utters Al-Hamdulillaah (All praise is due to Allaah) will have many people supplicating for him. People asked him: "Where did you get this from?" He replied: "Because all those who pray say in their prayers: "May Allaah respond to (the supplication of) those who praise Him."

BeTheChange
04-01-2016, 06:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid Saifullah
“He who gossips with you,
will gossip about you.”
- Imam Muhammad ibn Idris as-Shafaee RA
That is 100% true.

Well said Imam.

Next time someone gossips i'll quote them this quotation :D.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.