/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Recession In The US 'Has Arrived'

islamirama
01-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Recession In The US 'Has Arrived'

The feared recession in the US economy has already arrived,
according to a report from Merrill Lynch.

By The BBC

-----
RELATED ARTICLES:
'Citigroup could axe 32,000 workers to stem losses'
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3149180.ece

'Bad news piles up for British economy'
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8U16LJO0.htm

'No Jobs for the New Economy or the Old'
http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle19019.htm
-----

08/01/08 "BBC" -- - -It said that Friday's employment report, which
sent shares tumbling worldwide, confirmed that the US is in the
first month of a recession.

Its view is controversial, with banks such as Lehman Brothers
disagreeing.

But a reserve member of the committee that sets US rates warned that
it could do little about the below-trend growth expected in the next
six months.

"I am concerned that developments on the inflation front will make
the Fed's policy decisions more difficult in 2008," Charles Plosser,
president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia said.
He was referring to the problems faced by the US Federal Reserve,
which might want to cut interest rates to avoid a recession, but is
worried about inflationary factors such as $100-a-barrel oil.

'Significant decline'

An official ruling on whether the US is in recession is made by the
National Bureau of Economic Research, but this decision may not come
for two years.

The NBER defines a recession as "a significant decline in economic
activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months".

It bases its assessment on final figures on employment, personal
income, industrial production and sales activity in the
manufacturing and retail sectors.

Merrill Lynch said that the figures showing the jobless rate hitting
5% in December were the final piece in that puzzle.

"According to our analysis, this isn't even a forecast any more but
is a present day reality," the report said.

'Actual downturn'

But NBER president Martin Feldstein denied Merrill's claims.

"I think we're not in a recession now," he told CNBC.

"But I think there is a serious risk that it could get worse and we
could see an actual downturn," he added.

Merrill said that the current consensus view on Wall Street that
there is a good chance of avoiding a recession is "in denial".

It also objected to the use of euphemistic terms for the state of
the economy.

"To say that the backdrop is 'recession like' is akin to an
obstetrician telling a woman that she is 'sort of pregnant'," the
report said.

Housing figures

There were further signs of the housing slowdown that has sparked
off the problems in the US economy in home sale figures.

Pending sales of existing homes fell 2.6%, according to the National
Association of Realtors, which saw its pending sales index drop to
87.6 in November, 19.2% below the point it was at a year ago.

The figures were better than expected, however, because October's
index reading was revised upwards from 87.2 to 89.9.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Recession is just part of the business cycle. I would be more concerned if inflation reared its ugly head. In any event, the Federal Reserve stated yesterday that it would change interest rates to counter any recession before it materializes..hopefully it works.

MTAFFI
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
recession is if economic growth hit the 0 marker which it hasnt, perhaps this is why merrill lynch is saying this

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/bu...gewanted=print

This economy will pick up, and by the way islamirama, it seems you live in the US as well, I am not sure how wealthy you or your parents maybe but if we do actually hit a recession, your parents may start cutting costs, such as internet bills.... I wouldnt be to happy about it (The only reason I would assume you would be happy is because of your constant negativity towards the US, and the fact that this article clearly states that the people who actually have the knowledge and authority to declare a recession, have in fact not)

Woodrow
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Recessions are cycler. I was born during the aftermath of the "Great Depression" (1929-1940) although I missed the effects of that my family went through it.

Check out this story and timeline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/rails/timeline/index.html

Fortunately for my family we were a farming family and self sufficient. But, I remember seeing the after effects as a child.

Since then I've been through quite a few recessions. In economic classes it was often pointed out that recessions are the economies relief valve and are beneficial in preventing depressions.

Believe me if a recession is a preventive measure to prevent a depression it is worth it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Recessions are cycler. I was born during the aftermath of the "Great Depression" (1929-1940) although I missed the effects of that my family went through it.

Check out this story and timeline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/rails/timeline/index.html

Fortunately for my family we were a farming family and self sufficient. But, I remember seeing the after effects as a child.

Since then I've been through quite a few recessions. In economic classes it was often pointed out that recessions are the economies relief valve and are beneficial in preventing depressions.

Believe me if a recession is a preventive measure to prevent a depression it is worth it.
wonderfully put

KAding
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Yes, the US economy really does risk going into a recession. Lets hope for everyone that it will be a soft landing.

islamirama
01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
recession is if economic growth hit the 0 marker which it hasnt, perhaps this is why merrill lynch is saying this

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/bu...gewanted=print

This economy will pick up, and by the way islamirama, it seems you live in the US as well, I am not sure how wealthy you or your parents maybe but if we do actually hit a recession, your parents may start cutting costs, such as internet bills.... I wouldnt be to happy about it (The only reason I would assume you would be happy is because of your constant negativity towards the US, and the fact that this article clearly states that the people who actually have the knowledge and authority to declare a recession, have in fact not)
I wasn't too happy about the last recession of 2001 and yet here we are seeing another one while US history's WORST president is in power. Let it come and show the oil greedy gov't how much their people loves them. My first question to that (recession is here) was, WHEN did the last one end?

Btw, If you think I should be worried cuz i live in the US then think again bro. Rizk is in Allah's hand and I will get what is written in my share, regardless of where I live or how the economy is.

Woodrow
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
I wasn't too happy about the last recession of 2001 and yet here we are seeing another one while US history's WORST president is in power. Let it come and show the oil greedy gov't how much their people loves them. My first question to that (recession is here) was, WHEN did the last one end?

Btw, If you think I should be worried cuz i live in the US then think again bro. Rizk is in Allah's hand and I will get what is written in my share, regardless of where I live or how the economy is.
From what I have seen in my lifetime, I believe we have been in a recession since the 1960s. Only it has been contained and somewhat controlled. Inflation has been being used as a control factor for most of my life. It has been a method of spuring the economy under a false pretense of growth. Reality is there has been no change in buying power. For as long as I can remember a loaf bread was 1/10th of an ounce of silver. In the 1940s that was 10 cents. Today a tenth of an ounce of silver is valued at $1.63 which still only buys a loaf of bread. No change, just changes in wording.

As long as we have some controlled recession, runaway depression is prevented.

Amadeus85
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
When USA sneezes, China will feel it most.

KAding
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Huh. Are you serious? That last recession only took like 6-9 months. The US has had some excellent years since then with high economic growth, above average compared to other industrialized countries.

http://www.fin-fsa.fi/Eng/FIN-FSA_Ne...e/2_2007/2.htm

or

http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/in...2&page=teacher

Woodrow
01-11-2008, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
When USA sneezes, China will feel it most.
True. Actually a USA major recession will most likely affect most of the world more than it affects the USA.

KAding
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
From what I have seen in my lifetime, I believe we have been in a recession since the 1960s. Only it has been contained and somewhat controlled. Inflation has been being used as a control factor for most of my life. It has been a method of spuring the economy under a false pretense of growth. Reality is there has been no change in buying power. For as long as I can remember a loaf bread was 1/10th of an ounce of silver. In the 1940s that was 10 cents. Today a tenth of an ounce of silver is valued at $1.63 which still only buys a loaf of bread. No change, just changes in wording.

As long as we have some controlled recession, runaway depression is prevented.
Except that your house is filled with luxury articles, computers, TVs, a dishwasher, air conditioning, multiple cars in your garage, a refrigerator, washing machine, mobile phones, etc... And you take more vacations that take you farther away every time. Besides, the amount of money we now spend on food has more then halved compared to the 1960's. Back then many households spend close to 20% their income on food and beverages, nowadays thats closer to 10%. (source)

And that ignores the fact that the choice of goods has increased enormously, both perishable and not. Good luck finding pine apples or lychies in the 1960s.

Woodrow
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Except that your house is filled with luxury articles, computers, TVs, a dishwasher, air conditioning, multiple cars in your garage, a refrigerator, washing machine, mobile phones, etc... And you take more vacations that take you farther away every time. Besides, the amount of money we now spend on food has more then halved compared to the 1960's. Back then many households spend close to 20% their income on food and beverages, nowadays thats closer to 10%. (source)

And that ignores the fact that the choice of goods has increased enormously, both perishable and not. Good luck finding pine apples or lychies in the 1960s.
Both pineapples and lychees are now raised in Texas. In fact I'm growing a pineapple right now. Being prepared for the pineapple shortage. Now to speed up the growth on my lychee, the seed hasn't even sprouted yet.

In seriousness now. You do bring up a good point and the physical standard of living has increased tremendously since I was a kid.

You are right very few products are produced here in the USA any more and many US owned businesses are in other countries.

Our major exports now seem to be food products and technology. Everything else seems to be an import.

MTAFFI
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM

I am not sure you know much about economies or recessions... no offense

islamirama
01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Huh. Are you serious? That last recession only took like 6-9 months. The US has had some excellent years since then with high economic growth, above average compared to other industrialized countries.

http://www.fin-fsa.fi/Eng/FIN-FSA_Ne...e/2_2007/2.htm

or

http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/in...2&page=teacher
Are you serious? i'm not talking about nor do i care about other industralized countries. Clinton had left the economy in good condition and since then it has been going down hill and that's about it. Yea there has been some upward motions but since 2001 all i've been reading is which giant company is going out business now, how many 1000s are being laid of this Quater and what not. Some will try to tell you economy is improving and what not, look at the unemployment rate, ask the people what they think and the public will tell you where the economy has been for the last 7 years.

MTAFFI
01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Are you serious? i'm not talking about nor do i care about other industralized countries. Clinton had left the economy in good condition and since then it has been going down hill and that's about it. Yea there has been some upward motions but since 2001 all i've been reading is which giant company is going out business now, how many 1000s are being laid of this Quater and what not. Some will try to tell you economy is improving and what not, look at the unemployment rate, ask the people what they think and the public will tell you where the economy has been for the last 7 years.
Are you seriously equating Bill Clinton with a healthy economy? Bill Clinton laid higher taxes on middle and lower classes than any president in recent history. Bill Clinton drained the medicare and medicaid funds, Bill Clinton allowed for the outsourcing of more manufacturing jobs than anyone and drove our trade deficit through the roof! Bill Clinton had the advantage of being president during the dot.com boom, which I am not sure your age or what you were doing in the mid to late 90's but that was HUGE. Small time people with nothing became millionaires overnight because of that, which resulted in a booming economy, but like every bubble it popped. The combination of that and the events of 9/11 and the war following that, yes the economy took at hit, but comparatively speaking our economy has not taken a serious hit considering all of the circumstances. I could give you a million references that indicate just how resilient our economy really is... With that said I dont choose to lure anyone in to believe that GWB is responsible for the economies pliability, to be honest I am not really sure he has had a chance or cared to have much of a say about it. The economy has not been in top shape for some time and he has done nothing or at least I have heard nothing of him doing anything to rectify the situation. But I dont think we are in recession either, heading down that path, yes I would probably say so, but hopefully nothing serious. As Woodrow says a recession is kind of like a relief valve, if you will, it lets the pressure off so the economy can cook again. You will see, an economy like this one where the average income in 35,000 per year and has consistently low unemployment, good to great economic growth and the versatility that many countries would kill for probably wont go under because of high oil prices and a credit crunch. It is all just part of the process.

islamirama
01-11-2008, 08:46 PM
ok maybe clinton was a bad example, but anyways my point is that since 2001 we have been in recession and this new recession is ontop of the last one which was near it's end but not completely dead cuz the economy never picked up to a healthy level. Ask the millions who are still unemployed.

MTAFFI
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
ok maybe clinton was a bad example, but anyways my point is that since 2001 we have been in recession and this new recession is ontop of the last one which was near it's end but not completely dead cuz the economy never picked up to a healthy level. Ask the millions who are still unemployed.
I agree that it never picked back up to the level it was, but you have to understand that the level it was at was nearly unprecedented because of the dot.com boom.. It is very hard to drive an economy to that kind of level, although with this country it is definitely a "do-able" thing, and had our president cared enough it very well could be a different situation right now. But I do understand where you are coming from. I think we may just have to ride it out for another slow year (especially since election years are historically low) and with a new president and hopefully some new ideas and probably a bit of relaxation on the credit crunch and maybe some foreign policy change or new energy ideas, or any of the aforementioned really, you will see the economy flourish and possibly even boom again. Just remember it is healthy to have recession, just so long as it is always changing, if it becomes stagnant that is when you have to watch out.

Edit: It should probably also be mentioned that because of Bill Clintons policies then, much of the unemployment of today could be contributed to him, this may be hard to see because it is masked by the high economic growth of the late 90's

islamirama
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM
First we had the dot.com rush but now we had the housing rush which is being popped as is and sending us into another recession like dot.com did. I have another article on this, i'll share it tonight inshallah.

Keltoi
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Many people falsely believe that the president is the one who makes the major impacts on the economy, when in truth he isn't. The Federal Reserve has more to do with managing the overall state of the economy than the president. The president can make economic policy decisions, meaning tax cuts or tax hikes, but the management of currency and interest rates, which have the most impact on the economy, is the responsibility of the Fed.

Cognescenti
01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Many people falsely believe that the president is the one who makes the major impacts on the economy, when in truth he isn't. The Federal Reserve has more to do with managing the overall state of the economy than the president. The president can make economic policy decisions, meaning tax cuts or tax hikes, but the management of currency and interest rates, which have the most impact on the economy, is the responsibility of the Fed.
Bah....don't try to let that evil man off the hook. When I hit a bad shot with my 3 wood it is the fault of the President's policies as well.

islamirama
01-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Goldman Sachs sees recession in 2008

Wed Jan 9, 8:33 AM ET

Goldman Sachs on Wednesday said it expects the U.S. economy to drop into recession this year, prompting the Federal Reserve to slash benchmark lending rates to 2.5 percent by the third quarter.

In a note to clients, Goldman said real gross domestic product would contract by 1 percent on an annualized basis in both the second and third quarters. For all of 2008, the investment bank said GDP would rise by 0.8 percent.

The unemployment rate will rise to 6.5 percent in 2009 from the current 5 percent, it said.

The weakening economy will force the Fed to lower policy rates by an additional 1.75 percentage points from the current 4.25 percent. Starting in September, the Fed cut rates at the last three meetings of the Federal Open Market Committee, reducing the target rate on loans between banks by 1 percentage point from 5.25 percent.

Goldman strongly advises fund managers to overweight health care, consumer staples, energy and utilities. They are significantly underweight consumer discretionary, financials, industrials, materials and information technology.

The three most significant changes to their sector recommendations are the reduction in the financial sector weighting by 300 basis points to 14 percent, the information technology weighting by 400 basis points to 15 percent, and the increase in their health care weighting by 300 basis points to 17 percent, the firm said.

Their reduced allocation to financials reflects weak fundamentals and their declining weight in the S&P 500. The reduction in information technology reflects that the group has been the second-worst performing sector in both the six months leading up to a recession and during the first phase of a recession, Goldman said.

The health care weighting change reflects strong performance of the group during the six months leading up to and during the first phase of a recession in addition to an attractive valuation, Goldman said.

On Monday, Merrill Lynch economist David Rosenberg said the jump in U.S. unemployment in December confirmed that the economy was entering a recession.
(Reporting by Daniel Burns and Nick Olivari; Editing by Tom Hals)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080109/...y_goldman_dc_2

islamirama
01-14-2008, 02:30 AM
As housing slumps, realtors quit
By Patrik JonssonWed Jan 9, 3:00 AM ET

After three years showing houses in Atlanta's hilly suburbs, Dee McMahon is finished with real estate.

Yanking up her custom-made "For Sale" signs in her North Lake neighborhood rattled her ego, she admits. But when Ms. McMahon closed her final sale, a house in Snellville, Ga., in late November, the mother of two felt a swell of relief.

"Now I can finally get my own house back together," she says. "I'm nervous about the future, but I feel happy."

McMahon is one of thousands of real estate agents across the US wandering with mixed emotions and uncertain prospects through the debris of a real estate gold rush.

As many train for new careers, return to old ones, or wait tables until prices rebound, the plight of the real estate agent – average age, 51 – reveals the human dimension of how loose lending, raw opportunity, and self-determination produced a housing bust that has stunned the US economy.

"They've tasted success and big money, and now their standard of living has been rocked and reality has set in," says John Baen, a real estate professor at the University of North Texas in Denton. "The whole [economy] has been built on real estate. When the music stops, what is left?"

Americans are still drawn to working in real estate, according to the National Association of Realtors, which says its membership rose this year to 1.35 million. That growth in the ranks may be attributed to unaffiliated agents scrambling for clout in a tough market rather than an indication that the total number of agents is rising, the NAR acknowledges.

Evidence is growing that agents, especially in hard-hit markets like Florida, California, and Georgia, are closing up shop in large numbers, experts say.

Here in Atlanta, the number of agents letting their licenses lapse is growing at a faster pace than the number of overall licenses held. Nationally, an average agent's income dropped from $49,300 to $47,900 between 2004 and 2006. Not helping that trend is the cold fact that, according to Standard & Poor's house price index, home prices dropped precipitously in 2007, breaking the record 6.1 percent annual decline in 1991.

In Cape Coral, Fla., where only 30 percent of agents sold even a single home last year, real estate agents are "dropping out" daily, says local realtor Ginette Young. The Oregon Association of Realtors reports an 11.5 percent decline statewide of licensed agents in the past year.

Many of those who leave quietly shelve their signs. Others go out big: In Gilbert, Ariz., the fastest-growing city in the fastest-growing state, RE/MAX 2000 closed 13 offices throughout the Valley of the Sun, laying off at least 20 employees and scores of contract agents right before Christmas. The company couldn't meet its expenses.

Real estate is a line of work filled with mothers returning to the workforce, older workers squeezed out of lifetime careers, and young opportunists looking to trade sweat equity for potentially big cash-outs. Indeed, the industry norm is that only 4 percent of agents choose real estate sales as a first career.

In Georgia, realty ranks had swelled to 48,000 at the peak of the market. In the end, many say, there were too many inexperienced agents hawking houses.

"There's a lot of money being spent [on real estate classes] teaching agents how to waste a year of their life," says Atlanta agent Sandy Koza. "Then you get a downturn and a bunch of people get bumped. To [experienced agents like] us, it cleans out the business a little bit."

Florida's Cape Coral, a canal-sliced beach community, saw 800 building permits a month fall to 25 to 30 in the past year. The rapid slowdown left real estate agents, investors, and brokers holding the bag on big-money deals.

"It's a gold-rush mentality," says Michael Davis, an economist at Southern Methodist University's Cox School of Business in Dallas. He has been struck by how many agents, brokers, and investors, acting against conventional wisdom of portfolio management, converted large percentages of cash holdings into only a single and somewhat risky investment: property. "I don't know whether they're ignorant or optimistic, perhaps a little of both," says Dr. Davis.

Many others became the foot soldiers in the housing boom, second- or third-careerists drawn to the self-determination, relatively low entrance costs, and perhaps even the allure of the trade as embodied by novelist Richard Ford's legendary character Frank Bascombe, an angst-driven realtor who wanders the Jersey Shore for deals and revelations.

A former computer developer, Thomas Banecke of Sandy Springs, Ga., spent most of the summer baby-sitting a new condo development – usually a plum assignment. But when the Atlanta condo market tanked, foot traffic dwindled to almost zero.

Mr. Banecke is now back in the computer business and is putting his real estate career on hold. In some ways, he says, the cold housing market forced real estate agents, especially rookies, to confront their own abilities, schemes, and dreams. Upfront costs, marketing, association fees, and the crucial contacts are either more costly or harder to procure than an aspiring real estate agent usually expects, Banecke says.

"This kind of thing will wipe up a whole bunch of people who thought they could do this to make a living," he says.

As for McMahon, the Atlanta agent, she still had a nice listing book and plenty of leads when she called it quits. In the end, unreliable buyers, surly sellers, and a lack of office camaraderie contributed to a decision that solidified when home sales and prices dipped. "I was waiting for a time to kind of swing out," she says. She's planning to become a high school science teacher.

One problem for out-of-work agents is that their skills may not transfer easily to other careers. California is waiting to hear on a $9 million federal retraining grant after 6,000 people lost their jobs in the housing industry since September.

But Dr. Baen of the University of North Texas is optimistic about their futures. "These people are hustlers, hard workers. They're used to getting on the phone," he says. "They'll end up in insurance, in mutual funds, in retirement planning, and commodities."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080109...uNqZhbZU6Oe8UF

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.