/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Finding Employment...

AnonymousPoster
01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
:w::sl:

i am currently looking for employment, which in itself is a hard task, and because of the area, competition to find a job is so hard. Also being a revert makes things even more restrictive and complicated.... but i really really really NEED job.

Ive seen several jobs as 'kitchen assistant' or even 'dinner lady' in a school working mornings and lunches.. but living in england and knowing that the majority of the population eats pork, i know the food that they would serve would includes pork foods. Is it permissable for a muslim to work in a place with haram foods such as serving, preparing as long as they do not consume the product?

I never thought finding work as a muslim would be so restrictive, again i see loads of 'bar staff' or 'waiting staff' etc in places where alcohol is served and drank and being honest i have no desire to work in places like pubs, clubs and restaurants, but thought a 'cafe' or even a 'fast food cafe' might have been ideal until i realised of course they would be dealing with pork.

I really dont know what to do, i need a job desperatly as in ASAP, training is not an option right now but might be after a year or something, im also trying to apply in admin/receptionist, shop and basically any job that requires little or no training. I do have education (GCSE, A Levels) and some employment history. Im finding this effort really demoralizing and disheartening, knowing that i am limited to what i can do and that employers would see this as an obstacle rather than giving me a chance.

Is it really a sin to work with haram foods when there are no other jobs available?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
PersianPrince
01-11-2008, 12:18 AM
:sl:

I was having a think about this after reading your post. It is quite complicated isn't it? From my understanding of Islam, our Allah is not unforgiving and does not want us to suffer. If you really must put food on your table (i.e. earn a living), I would probably say do what you can. If people are ordering food/drink that is not permissable for us (or you) to eat/drink, I guess you would have to serve if it is part of your job. You don't necessarily have to agree with it, but remember, it is the intention that is the important thing in Islam. Your intension isn't to "happily serve pork and alcohol". Your intention is to earn a living.

On the other hand, for someone with A-Levels and some employment history, you do stand a good chance of working in other places, like shops or stores as you say. I suppose banking could raise some questions, because you would be working for an organisation that charges "interest".

One thing is for sure. You're living in Britain. You must eat. You must live. So wherever you turn your head, you may encounter something that is linked to something that is against the teachings of Islam. For example, every time I put fuel in my car, I wonder what is happening to the 80% tax on fuel (that we pay in Britain) and where it is spent...

I may not have helped as this is a difficult thing. I think the best thing you can do is to do what "you" feel is right with all the best of intentions. Make sure your intentions are clean and pure, and then Insha'Allah Allah will guide you.

Umm Yoosuf
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Wa Alaikumussalaam Wa Rahmtulaahi Wa Barakatuh

This site is helpful:

http://www.salaam.co.uk/jobs/search_results.php

AnonymousPoster
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
i forgot to mention that i have been unemployed for a number of years.

i looked at the site and unfortunatly it was no help to me because the area ( i am not in the south nor in a city ) and most of the jobs listed required proffessional qualifications.

But thank you for taking the time to reply and give advice or help.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.