/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Islam rejects lying and deception in all forms

ahsan28
01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Why Islam rejects lying and deception in all forms

“O you who believe! Fear Allah, and be with those who are true (in words and deeds).”(9:119)

WHAT do you do if one of your dearest friends asks you if he or she looks fat in a certain outfit? Or if one of your relatives asks you about a very sensitive issue that, if you reply to the query, will cause humiliation to you and your family? In these circumstances, most of us would opt to tell a ‘white lie’, which according to society, is not a 'real' lie since you are telling it only to prevent someone from getting hurt or to protect yourself.

However, the line between ‘white lies’ and other kinds of lies is constantly being blurred. Why? Because it is easier and sometimes quicker to simply lie than to engage in a more productive discourse.

Lying is something that almost everyone does, both Muslims and non-Muslims alike. We sometimes lie without even meaning to do it! Like if an annoying neighbour calls on the phone and you tell your child to say that you are in the shower or otherwise indisposed so you don’t get stuck on the phone for an hour. That’s a lie. Other lies are more evil and salacious.

Someone might tell a lie in order to get a better job. Isn’t it routine for many job seekers to embellish their CVs just a bit to get noticed? This type of lie might land a person a coveted job but it also might make someone else, who has the proper credentials, lose out on the position simply because they have been more truthful. And what about lies concocted against Allah and His Final Messenger, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)? These lies are the most evil of all and created by the enemies of Islam who want to tarnish the Final Revelation from Allah at all costs.

Being truthful and trustworthy is among the greatest virtues a human can possess. Lying leads to corruption and deceit.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “You must be truthful, for truthfulness leads to righteousness and righteousness leads to Paradise. A man will keep speaking the truth and striving to speak the truth until he will be recorded with Allah as a siddeeq (speaker of the truth). Beware of telling lies, for lying leads to immorality and immorality leads to Hellfire. A man will keep telling lies and striving to tell lies until he is recorded with Allah as a liar.” (Muslim)

Lies often roll off the human tongue just as fast as moths are attracted to an open flame, the consequences of both are sometimes equally flammable. Being truthful is an endearing quality that we all would be blessed to attain in our lifetime and is a commodity that is becoming more scarce in this world as the hands of time relentlessly spin round and round.

Sumayyah Meehan is a Kuwait-based American writer who embraced Islam.

Khaleej Times
11 January 2008

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...editorial&col=

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
guyabano
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
every human lies at least 1 time a day, muslim or non-muslim

According to this, well, Paradise must be an empty place :D

Abdul-Raouf
01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
May ALLAH forgive our sins..which we did/do knowingly or unknowingly..:cry:

Admin
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
May ALLAH forgive ur sins..which we did/do knowingly or unknowingly..

Ermm... Ameen. :playing:
every human lies at least 1 time a day, muslim or non-muslim
That's your one for the day? lol not every human. There are some god fearing ones too, you know. And then there are the dumb ones.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul-Raouf
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Admin
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
May ALLAH forgive ur sins..which we did/do knowingly or unknowingly..:cry:
Ermm... Ameen. :playing:And then there are the dumb ones.
Bhai i missed the letter o

POOR TYPING...EDITED IT NOW...

guyabano
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Admin
Ermm... Ameen. :playing:That's your one for the day? lol not every human. There are some god fearing ones too, you know. And then there are the dumb ones.
so see, now you lied by telling me this one. As I said, paradise is very empty

------
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
:salamext:

^^ And why do you think that is? Paradise is surrounded by hardships and the Hellfire is surrounded by temptations.

Isambard
01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
A nice idea in theory. I personally practise what I like to call "planned vulgarity", that is do and say whatever is on my mind irregardless of consequence.

Ill tell you from experience. People may say they like honesty, but they get at you if you dont give them their quota of "white lies". *sigh*

syilla
01-14-2008, 05:52 AM
:salamext:

Thats what i'm telling...

they never really understand the word 'honesty', because they never meet one.

But in islam it exists... :)

Jazakallah khayr for sharing...you deserve a rep :)

جوري
01-14-2008, 06:20 AM
let's not mistake social graces and tact with lies 'white' or otherwise..

your wife asking you if she looks fat in a skirt, instead of saying yes-- yes that skirt if whaooooooooo, you say you look beautiful to me.. yes she may be fat in that.. but you'd rather divert the conversation to something that will not out right hurt her feelings.. and is in fact true in your eyes (we hope)

your grandmother asks you do you mind getting the door... yes, yes I do mind what are you crippled you old harpy? but you say it would be my pleasure grandmama, you just rest up, and thanks for the cookies..

you want to be a buffer.. it isn't called lies it is called being humanistic..

to lie and deceive is to ourtight deviate from or pervert the truth... and I think any human with average intelligence can distinguish the difference..

:w:

guyabano
01-14-2008, 07:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
let's not mistake social graces and tact with lies 'white' or otherwise..

your wife asking you if she looks fat in a skirt, instead of saying yes-- yes that skirt if whaooooooooo, you say you look beautiful to me.. yes she may be fat in that.. but you'd rather divert the conversation to something that will not out right hurt her feelings.. and is in fact true in your eyes (we hope)

your grandmother asks you do you mind getting the door... yes, yes I do mind what are you crippled you old harpy? but you say it would be my pleasure grandmama, you just rest up, and thanks for the cookies..

you want to be a buffer.. it isn't called lies it is called being humanistic..

to lie and deceive is to ourtight deviate from or pervert the truth... and I think any human with average intelligence can distinguish the difference..

I know this kind of little lies, specially when it comes to women. When a man notice, his wife was out to get her hair fixed and the hairdresser mess up on her, of course she will be mad. Back home, I have now 2 possiblities: I say something or I simply shut up as I know, she's mad. So, whatever will be my reaction, it will be wrong.
Now, do we humans not make us these little lies a little bit easy? I mean, how can someone decide, what lies are 'acceptable' and which ones not? Was it not simply God's intention to say: YOU don't lie - End of discussion.
Should we not simply be honest, and tell the truth?

What about these women in Asia, f.ex. who come out of poor families and have nothing to eat. The only way out is prostitution to earn some money to feed the kids? Would God understand that? Would it be a sin? Specially, you do it for the sake of your kids to buy them food and medecine?

What is right and what is wrong? That is one reason, why I don't believe in the theories of religions, as I get the feeling, humans/society bend these divine laws to their particular needs and by lighting up a candle or making a prayer, these sins will be forgotten by God.

Doesn't that make nonsense?

Muezzin
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
A nice idea in theory. I personally practise what I like to call "planned vulgarity", that is do and say whatever is on my mind irregardless of consequence.

Ill tell you from experience. People may say they like honesty, but they get at you if you dont give them their quota of "white lies". *sigh*
There's always silence. 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. That's not lying, even if the person you're talking to has a ridiculous-looking haircut.

And to no, this silence thing doesn't go for big political issues (as that would be stupid), just day to day good manners. Simple.

guyabano
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
... even if the person you're talking to has a ridiculous-looking haircut.

Well well, Muezzin. I assume, you are not married, because saying nothing is equal to saying something stupid. Women are very bizarre in these matters.

You can everybody as your enemy, but not your wife :D

Muezzin
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Well well, Muezzin. I assume, you are not married,
You assume correctly.

because saying nothing is equal to saying something stupid. Women are very bizarre in these matters.
Just say they'll always look beautiful to you, or something of equal soppiness. :p And that's not lying either, is it? Otherwise, why would you have married her?

Isambard
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
There's always silence. 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. That's not lying, even if the person you're talking to has a ridiculous-looking haircut.

And to no, this silence thing doesn't go for big political issues (as that would be stupid), just day to day good manners. Simple.
If someone asks my opinion then they shall have it. "Good manners" shouldnt be a reason to compromise personal honesty.

Muezzin
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
If someone asks my opinion then they shall have it. "Good manners" shouldnt be a reason to compromise personal honesty.
Quite right.

However, you can still... sugar coat it somewhat, so as not to offend the other person yet still get your message across. In casual situations, humour is a great way of doing this - provided the other person shares your sense of humour. But between friends and stuff, 'sugar-coated yet frank' remarks are pretty commonplace. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.