/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can Water be MADE by Hydrogen & Oxygen?

Ali.
01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
:sl: Everyone,

As most of you might know, water is made from two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen; hence H2O.

But can water be actually MADE from these substances? They can definitely be seperated, but made?

My chemistry book doesn't really make it clear, although I think it's trying to say you can. And my Dad says you can't...does anybody know FOR SURE?

I want only definite answers please.

Thanks,

:thankyou:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HelloImAli

As most of you might know, water is made from two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen; hence H2O.

But can water be actually MADE from these substances? They can definitely be seperated, but made?

My chemistry book doesn't really make it clear, although I think it's trying to say you can. And my Dad says you can't...does anybody know FOR SURE?

Thanks,

Very easily done.

Done all the time in Oxy-Hydrogen welding in which the Hydrogen is mixed with oxygen at the ratio of 2::1, the resulting by product is water in the form of superheated steam, which will condense into liquid water. The same occurs in Hydrogen based engines in which the by product is Water vapor.

Water is a by product of all hydrocarbon combustion and can be collected. A small experiment is to hold a glass of ice above a candle flame, water from the flame will condense on the outside of the glass. this is the result of the hydrogen in the wax combining with the oxygen in the atmosphere.

Ali.
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Very easily done.

Done all the time in Oxy-Hydrogen welding in which the Hydrogen is mixed with oxygen at the ratio of 2::1, the resulting by product is water in the form of superheated steam, which will condense into liquid water. The same occurs in Hydrogen based engines in which the by product is Water vapor.

Water is a by product of all hydrocarbon combustion and can be collected. A smoply experiment is to hold a glass of ice above a candle flame, water from the flame will condense on the outside of the glass. this is the result of the hydrogen in the wax combining with the oxygen in the atmosphere.
Alright. Thanks a lot, man :thumbs_up.

So it's not Hydrogen+Oxygen --> BAM water straight away, it's in steam form first and then condenses?

sur
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks,

whenever Hydrogen is set on fire it combines with O2 in air & water vapours r formed.

So yes it's very much possible.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
01-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Alright. Thanks a lot, man :thumbs_up.

So it's not Hydrogen+Oxygen --> BAM water straight away, it's in steam form first and then condenses?
:sl:
Steam is water, just in a different state...

Ali.
01-13-2008, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
whenever Hydrogen is set on fire it combines with O2 in air & water vapours r formed.

So yes it's very much possible.
Oh yeah, hence Hydrogen Oxide = chemical name of Water!

Thanks! :thumbs_up

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Steam is water, just in a different state...

Yeah I know, I said that in my post.

in steam form first...

Ali.
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok thanks everybody, no more new posts needed :).

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, hence Hydrogen Oxide = chemical name of Water!
Lol, it seems a lot of people don't know that.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/...176704,00.html

Woodrow
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
It is worth keeping this thread open just for that story.

Ali.
01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
LOL!

Funny article. Honestly, how gullable are they? ;D

ranma1/2
01-16-2008, 10:25 AM
BAN Hydrogen Oxide before it takes another life!!!

crayon
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Okay, another question.

Does that mean that as long as we have enough hydrogen and oxygen, we will never run out of water? So say in the faaar future, there's no longer any fresh water available. Couldn't they just make it?

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Okay, another question.

Does that mean that as long as we have enough hydrogen and oxygen, we will never run out of water? So say in the faaar future, there's no longer any fresh water available. Couldn't they just make it?
Not quite that simple. The majority of hydrogen on earth is in the water of the oceans. so to get the hydrogen you need the water to get it from. Far easier to filter the water and purify it rather than breaking the water down into Hydrogen and Oxygen and recombining it back into water.

Hydrogen is very active chemically and although it is the most common element in the universe, it is not found in a naturally free state on earth.

crayon
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Oh, okay, thanks. I've always wondered about that.

Okay, a different question now.

Seeing as the number of protons in an atom determines it's identity (ie. carbon has 6 protons, oxygen has 8, etc.), if you could just remove/add one (or more) protons, could get a new element? So if you took the element with one less proton than gold, added a proton to it, would you get gold?

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh, okay, thanks. I've always wondered about that.

Okay, a different question now.

Seeing as the number of protons in an atom determines it's identity (ie. carbon has 6 protons, oxygen has 8, etc.), if you could just remove/add one (or more) protons, could get a new element? So if you took the element with one less proton than gold, added a proton to it, would you get gold?
That has been done. Lead has been made from Uranium (which it will do naturally) anyhow. Microscopic specks of gold have been made in a cyclotron. The mechanics involved at the sub atomic stage are very complex, the most difficult part to control would be the massive amount of energy required. A nuclear blast the size of the one at Hiroshima, is the result of shifting the protons in less than one gram of Uranium. Although the bomb itself weighed several tons, the amount of matter that formed the explosion was smaller than your finger nail. That explosion was the result of moving a proton to make a different element.

Yes you can make Gold out of either Platinum or Mercury, however to make even one ounce the amount of energy you would need to control, would be greater than the largest nuclear detonation to date.

crayon
01-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you for explaining that!
I knew there must have been a reason why gold was so expensive if it could just be made.

sur
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Okay, another question.

we should worry about land availibility instead of water availibility coz global warmig etc will reduce land not water.

& even if we convert oxygen+hydrogen of air to water then we might get a pond-full of water from all air, & nothing would be left to breath.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.