/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UAE a model Muslim Country- Bush

The_Prince
01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
The UAE has shown the world a model of a Muslim state that is tolerant towards its people and other faiths, said US President George W. Bush.

The UAE founding father, the late Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, has succeeded in building a country and a prosperous society, said Bush in his speech at Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi.

“You have encouraged your women to contribute to the development of your nation and they occupied some of the highest ministerial posts,” Bush said to the high-profile audience, which included President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.

Bush termed elections to the UAE Federal National Council as historic. “Extremists have hijacked Islam and they hate your government and the United States,” he said.

Bush said the United States believes it is necessary for governments in the Middle East to open their economies and boost liberty and tolerance.

http://gulfnews.com/nation/General/10181633.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ricardo_sousa
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
and he spoke the truth this time.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Its half a model if u ask me. At least they said Muslim and not Islamic =D lol. A lot of fitnah there :confused:

Omari
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
United Arab Emirates?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-13-2008, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omari
United Arab Emirates?
Yes bro :D

Omari
01-13-2008, 10:43 PM
ahhh okay. then he told the truth.

Omari
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Islam is for all times. Progression diminishes because people stray from the true teachings of Islam..

Allahu akbar, you stole the words from my mouth... i mean fingers. But despite THAT fact, progress is still being made, how do you suppose Islam came to being the fastest growing religion in the world? :)

Allah hu AKBAR
Omari

Whatsthepoint
01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
UAE has embraced the western economy. It tolerates the western lifestlye. It sells its goods and beauties mostly to the westerners and east Asians.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Accepting your apology Inshallah(God Willing)...

Well no, I still do not agree with you. Whatever be the situation of the Muslims in these days, Islam will always stand the test of time, regardless of whether people like you accept or not. I stick by what I said. Islam doesnt reject progression, but it depends for what purpose your doing it for. For the good of your people or cash/power? Everything is so expensive there that normal people like myself cant even think to live there.

minaz
01-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Bush only says he likes the UAE because he's been going to all these Muslim countries for the past few days and all he wants is a DRINK! :p

Malaikah
01-14-2008, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
Bush termed elections to the UAE Federal National Council as historic. “Extremists have hijacked Islam and they hate your government and the United States,” he said.
:sl:

Pfft. Maybe if you weren't so busy bombing Iraq and Afghanistan and interfering in Muslim countries they wouldn't hate you. :offended:

Cognescenti
01-14-2008, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Bush only says he likes the UAE because he's been going to all these Muslim countries for the past few days and all he wants is a DRINK! :p
Just when I complemented you on your sensible post on another thread :thumbs_do

I have to admit your comment would be clever if it weren't so shockingly insulting to non-Muslims.

Cognescenti
01-14-2008, 01:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Pfft. Maybe if you weren't so busy bombing Iraq and Afghanistan and interfering in Muslim countries they wouldn't hate you. :offended:
Absolute, irredeemable idiocy. You seemed to have missed the concept of cause and effect. In the Euclidean side of the universe...the cause comes before the effect.

Don't give me any horse manure about the Shah either....I am fairly confident you would cheer if the Shia disappeared.

Malaikah
01-14-2008, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Absolute, irredeemable idiocy. You seemed to have missed the concept of cause and effect. In the Euclidean side of the universe...the cause comes before the effect.
Nope, disagree. Hate has definitely increased since the two wars. I'm not saying it did not exist before, of course.

Cognescenti
01-14-2008, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Nope, disagree. Hate has definitely increased since the two wars. I'm not saying it did not exist before, of course.
I would say many of the Muslims in the "East Indies" (Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Timor etc) hated the Dutch and the Portuguese (probably less so the Brits) but I don't think they were particularly enamored with the Japanese either. One can hardly blame that on the US.

Israel....sure...there is plenty of hatred there. But again, the US is chiefly a punching bag because it is difficult to confront the truth that 10-fold superior Arab armies were defeated with WWII surplus junk and in '67, with antique French weapons. I know it hurts, but it is not our fault. Lord Balfour?...I don't think he was from this side of the pond.

Saudi Arabia..you have a problem there..take it up with the House of Saud. I am pretty sure King Fahd was born somewhere in the ME.

Iraq? Armed by the Soviets.

Syria...ditto

Egypt...ditto...until they decided that the war thingy wasn't working out so well.

Lebanon...ask the Syrians.

Iran...yes, the US has some culpability there, but it was to oppose the Soviet Union....do I have to explain to you how the USSR treated Muslims?

Afghansitan? Wait...refresh my memory. I am thinking Soviets...but I could be wrong.

Pakistan? Is it the fault of the US Pakistan should have 23 different countries?

I will remind you, you claimed the US invited the animosity with the Muslim world.

sur
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
at least RED part is true.

Souljette
01-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Ye..U.A.E model muslim country..ritee...we can't evn live in this place mann talkin abt model muslim country..evrythng is bcumin like the western society and more expensive..islam is not evn being practise in half the places.

Roasted Cashew
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Don't give me any horse manure about the Shah either....I am fairly confident you would cheer if the Shia disappeared.

Though I am a Sunni, I have termendous respect for my Shia brothers. The main cause of terrorism is USA. What is breeding/(indirectly promoting) terrorism everyday is USA. USA has the history of interfering in the Muslim world. I am not condoning terrorism which totally against Islam but just pointing out the main causes. RON PAUL, a Presenditial candidate truly understands terrorism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJ7URfBPco

Bittersteel
01-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Much of UAE's development occurred due to low labour cost,foreign cheap labour who are treated worse than humans.

adeeb
01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
USA (Bush) likes the country that want to be his slave...always say ; YES to everything he does...:eek: support him in every war :nervous: and he will love you, give you a lot money to support your country...:thumbs_do

liberate women like in the west, imsad

and Bush is really an evil in this world..:mad: i dunno why i hate him so much coz my brothers and sisters in Iraq Afghanistan Pakistan have to die because of him...

Why doesnt he just left middle east and think about his own country...:rolleyes:

AvarAllahNoor
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Well I wasn't expecting that! *Cough* *Cough*

Why does he think UAE is the ideal country eh? Oil is coming through thick and fast, plus Abdullah etc are not the most Islamic of people are they.

Souljette
01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Nope they aren't....nd dey luvin bush nd america rite now dats y bush luvs them cuz they followers of bush

anatolian
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
If bush says so, we must think again even if we too think the same thing:)

Fishman
01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz
Much of UAE's development occurred due to low labour cost,foreign cheap labour who are treated worse than humans.
I agree with you there. The Gulf States like to show themselves off with all their fancy and useless skyscrapers and underwater resturaunts, even though it is all made by people who live like slaves. You have to be completely twisted if you were to consider the UAE as a good human country, let alone a good Muslim country...
:w:

islamirama
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb
USA (Bush) likes the country that want to be his slave...always say ; YES to everything he does...:eek: support him in every war :nervous: and he will love you, give you a lot money to support your country...:thumbs_do

and Bush is really an evil in this world..:mad: i dunno why i hate him so much coz my brothers and sisters in Iraq Afghanistan Pakistan have to die because of him...

Why doesnt he just left middle east and think about his own country...:rolleyes:
Reminds me of this news clip from UAE news channel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4GBnxi3wc

Danah
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adeeb

I think so too, but I heared that he will continue his journey in most of the gulf countries ..................he is not done yet. he is now in Saudi

Cognescenti
01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Ah...I can see all the highbrows are assembled.

Look, guys. When you are a guest of someone for dinner do you say the food was too heavy on the garlic or do you say something nice?

We all know the UAE would be a collection of nomads and camel-dung traders if it weren't for oil. They aren't perfect. They do treat foreign workers like ****. By European standards they would have to look to Albania for direction on good government...but you have to consider the competition. :D

Anyone want to nominate another model Muslim state?

AvarAllahNoor
01-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Turkey...Egypt?

wilberhum
01-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Ah...I can see all the highbrows are assembled.

Look, guys. When you are a guest of someone for dinner do you say the food was too heavy on the garlic or do you say something nice?

We all know the UAE would be a collection of nomads and camel-dung traders if it weren't for oil. They aren't perfect. They do treat foreign workers like ****. By European standards they would have to look to Albania for direction on good government...but you have to consider the competition. :D

I would love to see some Muslims respond to

جوري
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
what Muslims states do you know of that are actually in existence? The Muslim states have dissolved sometime around the 1900's..
perhaps no one is responding because the question is nonsensical to begin with?

cheeers

wilberhum
01-14-2008, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
what Muslims states do you know of that are actually in existence? The Muslim states have dissolved sometime around the 1900's..
perhaps no one is responding because the question is nonsensical to begin with?

cheeers
Now I think that is tragically true.

Omari
01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I think my opinion should have atleast some value in this talk about American at war. Considering the fact that i am an afghan boy that lived thorough the war.

When you're sitting on your computer and you have music playing and your family in the next room all peaceful and happy, its easy to talk about the situation of other countries.
When you are sitting under a bed hoping that a stray bullet or a bombshell doesn't destroy your family or finish your life it's much different. Alhamdulillah i am safe, but i would like to say, for a country that takes a major part of the United Nations, [peacefull solutions] America definatly crushes the point.

Yes i am aware that America attacked Afghanistan because of the Taliban, but here is my experience, yes to hell with the taliban, they were the worst things that happened to my country, but you know what the Americans killed more innocent civilians in one day then the taliban could have managed in a year. And atleast those people the taliban killed were being punished criminals, and not INNOCENTS.

America had no right to attack Afghanistan, and if the war was against "cowards" then they should stop with the cowardice and fight like men, On ground with guns, not throw bombs from a mile above and call it bravery.

I rest my case with one last point.

To hell with taliban and other terrorists. But to hell with dictators who attack countries for the sake of killing innocents.

[ALLAH KNOWS BEST]
[if anything i said offends anyone, i sincerely apologise]
[and i speak all of this with my freedome of speech, and i intend no hatred]
ALLAHU AKBAR

OMARI

wilberhum
01-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I have no clue as what this has to do with the UAE, but here are some responses.
I think my opinion should have atleast some value in this talk about American at war.
I think all opinions have some value. You start out with some extra creadibility with your back ground.
Considering the fact that i am an afghan boy that lived thorough the war.

When you're sitting on your computer and you have music playing and your family in the next room all peaceful and happy, its easy to talk about the situation of other countries.
Easy and valid are not the same thing. Just because it is easy has nothing to do with validity.
When you are sitting under a bed hoping that a stray bullet or a bombshell doesn't destroy your family or finish your life it's much different.
That must be terrifying and my heart saddens for you, but that does not validate a political stance.
Alhamdulillah i am safe, but i would like to say, for a country that takes a major part of the United Nations, [peacefull solutions] America definatly crushes the point.

Yes i am aware that America attacked Afghanistan because of the Taliban,
Not really. We attacked because of Al-Qaeda. The Taliban were given a choice of being part of the problem or part of the soltion. They made there choice.
but here is my experience, yes to hell with the taliban, they were the worst things that happened to my country,
It is great to here that view point. We are so use to hearing how wonderfull they were.
but you know what the Americans killed more innocent civilians in one day then the taliban could have managed in a year.
Maybe some day, "Smart Bombs" will be smart enough to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Till then, war will continue to kill more good guys than bad guys.
And atleast those people the taliban killed were being punished criminals, and not INNOCENTS.
But see, it has little to do with the Taliban.
America had no right to attack Afghanistan,
Excuse me. :mad: What do you think the US should have done?
Should we have sent a "Wishing you were here" card to Osama bin Lauden.
and if the war was against "cowards" then they should stop with the cowardice and fight like men, On ground with guns, not throw bombs from a mile above and call it bravery.
Now that is just stupid. I could care less if OBL thinks we are brave or not.

I rest my case with one last point.

To hell with taliban and other terrorists. But to hell with dictators who attack countries for the sake of killing innocents.
And you think that is why we attacked? You need to take a real look at things. It appears you have failed to understand anything about the causes.
[ALLAH KNOWS BEST]
[if anything i said offends anyone, i sincerely apologise]
I am offended, but you need not apologize for speaking your mind.
That is one of the freedom we fight for.
[and i speak all of this with my freedome of speech, and i intend no hatred]
ALLAHU AKBAR

OMARI
Omari,
I hope life is well for you in your new home. I wish you all the best.
But you really need new sources of information about what caused the war(s).

Peace :peace:
Wilber

Omari
01-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Not really. We attacked because of Al-Qaeda. The Taliban were given a choice of being part of the problem or part of the soltion. They made there choice.
Good, then you could have attacked areas in which the taliban were really hidden, not civilian homes.

It is great to here that view point. We are so use to hearing how wonderfull they were.
The media only shows what is entertaining to the viewers, incase you didn't know. They show that oh the taliban did this did that, half of it was crap.

Maybe some day, "Smart Bombs" will be smart enough to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Till then, war will continue to kill more good guys than bad guys.
Or maybe "smart commanders" who will have the littlest common sence to know that usualy in a house there lives families. Innocent families dammit.

Excuse me. What do you think the US should have done?
Should we have sent a "Wishing you were here" card to Osama bin Lauden
I understand bush did the right thing attackign the terrorists. To hell with them, why kill civilians living in homes?
Why?

Now that is just stupid. I could care less if OBL thinks we are brave or not.
So you say, but OBL isn't the only one that dosn't think you're brave.

But you really need new sources of information about what caused the war(s).
My sources are my experience, sure it's not the best, but neither is information that people themselves say about what happened. Ever heard of the saying history is HISstory?

Thank you for your wishes
Canada has offered a lot to me and my family

wilberhum
01-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Good, then you could have attacked areas in which the taliban were really hidden, not civilian homes.
If you know the Taliban, then you know they hid in civilian homes.

The media only shows what is entertaining to the viewers, incase you didn't know. They show that oh the taliban did this did that, half of it was crap.
I had hoped better from you. Blame the Media. Now that's a new one. I haven't seen it used for two days. :-\

Or maybe "smart commanders" who will have the littlest common sence to know that usualy in a house there lives families. Innocent families dammit.
War is h.e.l.l it always has been and always will be. I don't mean to lessen the horror of it all. The fact is that terrorists hide among the innocent. So don't put all the blame in one place.
I understand bush did the right thing attackign the terrorists. To hell with them, why kill civilians living in homes?
Why?
Why do you think civilians won't die? That is the case in every war.
Do you think civilians are the target?

So you say, but OBL isn't the only one that dosn't think you're brave.
Could care less that you don't think letting OBL kill more Americans would make us brave. Obviously that would make us more stupid.

My sources are my experience, sure it's not the best, but neither is information that people themselves say about what happened. Ever heard of the saying history is HISstory?
Yes, and history is written by the victors.
Thank you for your wishes
Canada has offered a lot to me and my family
I'm glad. I wish you the best.
How long have you been in Canada and how long have you been out of Afghanistan?

But, back on topic.
I hope you will never think that I have any intention of minimizing the suffering of any person.
My stomach turns ill every time I hear of any loss of innocent life.
War in nasty business and the innocent always pay the greatest price.
So when you ask the questions of “Why?”, see if you can come up with an answer of how not to have it happen.
The sad truth is that until we learn to live together with tolerance, wars will continue to be waged.

sudais1
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
For all that don't know Drinking is only allowed in Dubai. anywhere else and you'll be caught and punished. At least they got that much :p

جوري
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Drinking is ramapant in Egypt, Syria, morocco, Algeria etc..
EgyptAir used to hand out liquor as one boards their plane, until all the pilots protested..

islamirama
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
They serve unlimited whine UAE airlines, champagne you have to pay for...

Souljette
01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
tell me about it..its jst crazy down here..they have night clubs..prostitutes walkin around..not everywhere sum areas...drinkin in hotels...

Woodrow
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Drinking is ramapant in Egypt, Syria, morocco, Algeria etc..
EgyptAir used to hand out liquor as one boards their plane, until all the pilots protested..
Morocco is also a very big wine producing nation and has many vinyards. Wine is a major export.

Plus, the large fields of cork oaks go into the production of wine corks that are used for wine bottles world wide.
The Maghreb contains three countries with the Atlas Mountains providing a divider between the Mediterranean coastlines and the Sahara Desert. The wines produced by these three countries, Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia have a long rich history with early records dating wine making reaching back 2000 years.

Mascara and other wines from these countries have been winning international awards since the 1859 Fall Exposition in Paris, but have had little success breaking into global markets. This is probably due to the poor quality of much of the wine output due to many economic and political factors...but the climate of the Atlas Mountain range and the influence of French winemakers through the centuries have created a few wines that can compete with some of the best labels in Europe.

The governments of the region are finally beginning to support the traditional wine industry and the results are looking promising. A few of the world's wine experts are starting to differentiate and get past some of the stereotypes. These wines may soon be making a mark in international competitions again...

Some wines of the Maghreb:
Algeria: Mascara, Côteaux de Tlemcen
Tunisia: Bizerte, Carthage, Vieux Magon
Morocco: Berkane, Taza, Fès
http://www.chiff.com/wine/africa/maghreb.htm

Because the people in a country are predominantly Arab does not mean they are Muslim. Morocco has a large number of Christian and Jewish Arabs.

Whatsthepoint
01-15-2008, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Because the people in a country are predominantly Arab does not mean they are Muslim. Morocco has a large number of Christian and Jewish Arabs.
That doesn't mean that only jews and christians produce wine in Morocco..

Woodrow
01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
That is true. I even knew a pig farmer in Morocco who professed to be Muslim. He saw no harm in raising the pigs, as he was not the one eating the pork. I was not Muslim at the time and at the time his comment was logical to me.

Roasted Cashew
01-16-2008, 03:23 AM
That doesn't mean that no Jews and Christians produce wine in Morocco. I'm sure most of it is produced by the Christians.

Roasted Cashew
01-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Well it's easy to do what Wilberhum is doing. Sitting behind is PC and justifying the war. If you know that the Taliban or Al-Qaeda hides in civilian homes then WHY IN THE HELL YOU TARGET THEM? Only an idiot won't know that the Air Strikes are bound to cause civilian casualties. Maybe Wilberhum thinks it's alright to kill women, children and destroy homes in order to kill a bad guy. What wrong did those poor people commit. Maybe when someone nukes your country, then you would understand.

wilberhum
01-16-2008, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
Well it's easy to do what Wilberhum is doing. Sitting behind is PC and justifying the war. If you know that the Taliban or Al-Qaeda hides in civilian homes then WHY IN THE HELL YOU TARGET THEM? Only an idiot won't know that the Air Strikes are bound to cause civilian casualties. Maybe Wilberhum thinks it's alright to kill women, children and destroy homes in order to kill a bad guy. What wrong did those poor people commit. Maybe when someone nukes your country, then you would understand.
Ah gee, not naming body parts any more?

Poor sick child. Now you have proven you ability for profanity and your inability to read you should get your head out of the

Omari
01-16-2008, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum

Poor sick child. Now you have proven you ability for profanity and your inability to read...
He has a point, ofcourse i am aware that in war civilians die. And i am aware that it's inevitable. I don't think you understand the situation though, they are bombing places where they "suspect" the taliban are hiding. Imagine you are sitting on your computer and suddenly a rocket falls on your roof [GOD FORBID] and kills your family and everyone you hold dear [GOD FORBID]
are you going to say "ah, sacrafices must be made". or are you going to stand up to the troops and argue that what they did was wrong?

It's always experience that puts people to test, and i don't expect you to know how terrifying the reality is.
Omari

Roasted Cashew
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Ah gee, not naming body parts any more?

Poor sick child. Now you have proven you ability for profanity and your inability to read you should get your head out of the

I don't really understand what are you trying to say. Maybe when the Taliban comes to your house and puts you under gunpoint to provide them shelter, you would understand what I'm trying to say. And when the Americans air strike your house killing the Taliban and murdering half of your family; maybe the justification you are giving Omari would be really helpful. You think that Afghan gives a **** about how evil that Taliban is anymore? You have just destroyed his life. When it's all to clear from History that war does more harm than good, then why keep repeating it. And seriously Air Strikes are the worst kinds of attacks. Maybe Afghan President - Karzai will agree with me on this one.

wilberhum
01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
He has a point, ofcourse i am aware that in war civilians die. And i am aware that it's inevitable. I don't think you understand the situation though, they are bombing places where they "suspect" the taliban are hiding. Imagine you are sitting on your computer and suddenly a rocket falls on your roof [GOD FORBID] and kills your family and everyone you hold dear [GOD FORBID]
are you going to say "ah, sacrafices must be made". or are you going to stand up to the troops and argue that what they did was wrong?

It's always experience that puts people to test, and i don't expect you to know how terrifying the reality is.
Omari
Of course he has a point. He is also the kind of coward that hides behind his computer and insults people and calls them names. But he would wet his pants if he experienced the things you did.
You may not understand the cause of my remarks. The post where he truly reviled the type of person he is was deleted.

I probably understand a lot better than you think. I am under no illusion that war is horrible creation man has ever made. No one can know the terror that you have seen. That is why you will have a respect from me that you will never understand.

It saddens me that the US has exercised the war so badly, but I do not apologize for attacking a country who's government protected those who had declared war on us and made numerous attacks on us. Don't forget 9/11 was not the first.

I would like to close with a request to PM me. I think it would be amazing to get to know and understand the experiences that you have had.

Truly
Wilber

wilberhum
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
I don't really understand what are you trying to say.
Ignorance is something I guess you will just have to bare.
Maybe when the Taliban comes to your house and puts you under gunpoint to provide them shelter, you would understand what I'm trying to say.
What a pile, that is what I was saying. And you don't have the first clue of what you are talking about.
And when the Americans air strike your house killing the Taliban and murdering half of your family; maybe the justification you are giving Omari would be really helpful. You think that Afghan gives a **** about how evil that Taliban is anymore? You have just destroyed his life. When it's all to clear from History that war does more harm than good, then why keep repeating it. And seriously Air Strikes are the worst kinds of attacks. Maybe Afghan President - Karzai will agree with me on this one.
You just make me feel so bad.

So just go away little boy.

Sufimystic
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Iran in my opinion is a better example of an islamic republic.....the UAE laws seems to discriminate other sects such as shi'as and sufis. Iran needs to lead the fight against the neocons of american and the zionists of israel. Iran itself is being bullied by all presidential candidates except Ron Paul who is the only pro-muslim candidate IMHO.

Sufimystic
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Though I think there can be a far better Islamic republic than anything that has passed before........UAE is far from ideal.

Chuck
01-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I live in UAE, I guess, I should add my $0.02.

1. In Dubai, I practice Islam fine, I've been to many places around the world both muslim and non-muslim, and I found UAE to be the best place for me to live. There are night clubs and booze in hotels, muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol, bars don't enforce this policy strictly but it is not like non-muslim and some muslim countries - drunken people are not allowed on streets or they face strict penalties. Dubai, Ajman, and Um ul qwain have lenient policies on drinking, but rest of the states are strict about it. Dubai is still better than other two, because in Ajman people seem to drink on streets and muslims are allowed to drink unlike Dubai. UAE is not perfect but I found it better than other places overall. Westernization and drinking problem is much worse in other muslim countries as already mentioned Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia, but I wonder why nobody brings them in discussions. UAE and Saudia seems to get bad press from both muslims and non-muslims in different occasions, yet both are better than many countries in the world (muslim and non-muslim). Perhaps because people are in us vs them thinking and respond with knee jerk reactions.

2. There are labour issues here, but nobody talks about the changes govt. has made in last 2 years. They have improved labour laws, prosecuted companies who were not treating their labours well, set up an hot-line specifically for labour complains, and building modern labour complexes http://www.estatesdubai.com/2007/10/...es-on-abu.html Not to mention, I've seen Mexicans treated much worse in USA, but nobody brings that even in news. I guess they don't deserve better living *sarcasm* There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but I doubt it these discussions are about constructive criticism.

3. I've not seen any discrimination of shias, sufies, or bahais. I've been to Iran and discrimination of sunnis and bahis was very bad there. I even heard of hate crimes against them, sunni and bahai Imams and preacher sometimes disappear in Iran and police seems reluctant on investigations. Some people said police is involved in the disappearance similar to cases in Iraq (disclaimer: I'm not saying this true that police is doing this, it maybe nothing more than hearsay). Nothing this sort happens here, and people of different faiths and sects are living happy and prosper lives.

UAE is not perfect, but no place is if you think about it, but it is in the right direction and progressing very fast. It is doing pretty good for approx. 30 year old country.

Abu Thabit
01-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Brother Chuck masha-Allah you didnt leave anything for me to say, so Jazaka Allahu Khayra :)

but I want to add a few points only,

I was born and raised in Dubai and Im a citizen of UAE, if I criticized my country Ill be more accurate than most of the brothers and sisters who did -may Allah bless us all-, and some of them -may Allah forgive us all- forgot about the countries that they are living in right now, Im sure if you compared those countries with UAE, you'll find that UAE is somewhat better

Talking about the "fitna", and that its increasing here, I totally agree with that, but the places of fitna are known, so if someone goes to those places they only have to blame themselves, they should avoid going there in the first time

Religiously- many people are converting to Islam wal-Hamdulillah here in the UAE, and the seeking of knowledge started emerging too wa-lillahi-alhamd, you cant fix a country without fixing its people, if the people are headed to the right path, the country will, but if the people kept complaining about the country and ask for changes while they dont change themselves, things will remain the same, or get worse

Overall, even though there are many mistakes in the UAE, still you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I ask Allah the Most High to guide us all to the righteous path, Allahumma Ameen

:w:

Ebtisweetsam
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
UAE has embraced the western economy. It tolerates the western lifestlye. It sells its goods and beauties mostly to the westerners and east Asians.
Of cousre if ur going to choose a rich country to visit, be treated like royalty, ur gonna have a few good things to say about them... in my books, he shoulda been rejected to visit... jis like he rejects people like Yusuf Islam entering his country.

AvarAllahNoor
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
The bottom line is, if a country isn't pro america (SA) etc they will label you a ''terrorist nation' this is how it's been. Look at Cuba. Iraq was once 'pro usa' when Sadaam stopped playing ball they turned on him an decided he committed crimes against humanity (which he did) but the yanks went along with it at that time because it suited them.

I'm glad Iran are keeping dubya on his toes. It brings out the idiot in him (even more so than usual)

Gur Fateh!

MTAFFI
01-16-2008, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
I live in UAE, I guess, I should add my $0.02.

1. In Dubai, I practice Islam fine, I've been to many places around the world both muslim and non-muslim, and I found UAE to be the best place for me to live. There are night clubs and booze in hotels, muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol, bars don't enforce this policy strictly but it is not like non-muslim and some muslim countries - drunken people are not allowed on streets or they face strict penalties. Dubai, Ajman, and Um ul qwain have lenient policies on drinking, but rest of the states are strict about it. Dubai is still better than other two, because in Ajman people seem to drink on streets and muslims are allowed to drink unlike Dubai. UAE is not perfect but I found it better than other places overall. Westernization and drinking problem is much worse in other muslim countries as already mentioned Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia, but I wonder why nobody brings them in discussions. UAE and Saudia seems to get bad press from both muslims and non-muslims in different occasions, yet both are better than many countries in the world (muslim and non-muslim). Perhaps because people are in us vs them thinking and respond with knee jerk reactions.

2. There are labour issues here, but nobody talks about the changes govt. has made in last 2 years. They have improved labour laws, prosecuted companies who were not treating their labours well, set up an hot-line specifically for labour complains, and building modern labour complexes http://www.estatesdubai.com/2007/10/...es-on-abu.html Not to mention, I've seen Mexicans treated much worse in USA, but nobody brings that even in news. I guess they don't deserve better living *sarcasm* There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but I doubt it these discussions are about constructive criticism.

3. I've not seen any discrimination of shias, sufies, or bahais. I've been to Iran and discrimination of sunnis and bahis was very bad there. I even heard of hate crimes against them, sunni and bahai Imams and preacher sometimes disappear in Iran and police seems reluctant on investigations. Some people said police is involved in the disappearance similar to cases in Iraq (disclaimer: I'm not saying this true that police is doing this, it maybe nothing more than hearsay). Nothing this sort happens here, and people of different faiths and sects are living happy and prosper lives.

UAE is not perfect, but no place is if you think about it, but it is in the right direction and progressing very fast. It is doing pretty good for approx. 30 year old country.
I just wanted to add that I have been to the UAE as a non-muslim (havent been back as a muslim yet) and I found it to be a great country. It is expanding at a rapid rate and I think that is because of its tolerance of other people and cultures, while at the same time holding on to its own. Which kind of leads to what Abu Thabit said, that the people ultimately decide what kind of country they live in, personally I think they are doing a good job. Very friendly and very accomodating, great looking city too, very clean. What is sad is I think UAE gets criticized more for its tolerance than anything. As Abu said the places of "fitna" are easily spotted and known, a practicing Muslim with the help of Allah wouldnt and probably doesnt look twice at these places. Perhaps when I go back as a Muslim I will be a little more capable of giving a better perspective of how well it performs as a "model muslim country" if it must be described that way.

Peace

north_malaysian
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I would say many of the Muslims in the "East Indies" (Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Timor etc) hated the Dutch and the Portuguese (probably less so the Brits) but I don't think they were particularly enamored with the Japanese either. One can hardly blame that on the US.
None of the present generation of Muslims in the East Indies hated Dutch, Portugal, British, Japanese etc. It's because, for younger generation that was something in the past that have nothing to do with the present generation..

Malaysia had been colonised by Thailand, Portugal, Netherlands, Britain and Japan .... but we have great relationships with those countries and their peoples... no problem.... in fact the Thais, Portuguese, Dutchmen, Britons and Japanese formed 2% of the population.

Many Thais and Portuguese people in Malaysia were given "Bumiputra" (Native/Indigenous) status.

Roasted Cashew
01-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Of course he has a point. He is also the kind of coward that hides behind his computer and insults people and calls them names. But he would wet his pants if he experienced the things you did.
You may not understand the cause of my remarks. The post where he truly reviled the type of person he is was deleted.

I probably understand a lot better than you think. I am under no illusion that war is horrible creation man has ever made. No one can know the terror that you have seen. That is why you will have a respect from me that you will never understand.

It saddens me that the US has exercised the war so badly, but I do not apologize for attacking a country who's government protected those who had declared war on us and made numerous attacks on us. Don't forget 9/11 was not the first.

Truly
Wilber
Well, look. I didn't mean to call YOU "****". I saw you neg rep me for that. If you noticed, there was an *******(s) behind that word meaning it was plural. I was referring to the brutal army which according to you " exercised the war so badly". So if you had said all these statements back then, I would not have got 'edgier" and responded angrily:mad:. The way I saw it you couldn't care less for the civilians who die in war because "They were not the intended targets" and "It's war after all". I was wrong and you came clean. Yes, of course you don't have to apologize but in future pls remind your countrymen to be MORE CAREFUL.

Can we put this hate aside now:uhwhat. Peace.

wilberhum
01-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Time will tell.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.