/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sarkozy to sign UAE nuclear deal

The_Prince
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
French President Nicolas Sarkozy has begun a Gulf tour, during which he is due to sign a nuclear co-operation deal with the United Arab Emirates.

He has arrived in Saudi Arabia and will go on to Qatar and the UAE over the next three days. All three are seeking to develop civilian nuclear programmes.

Mr Sarkozy has said the Arab world should have the same rights to such programmes as other states.

France has already signed nuclear agreements with Algeria and Libya.

Mr Sarkozy said the sale of such technology could foster trust between the West and the Muslim world. France and the UAE are expected to sign an accord on co-operation in developing civilian nuclear energy, during a stop in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday.

After signing the deal with Algeria last month, Mr Sarkozy said: "The sharing of civilian nuclear [technology] will be one of the foundations of a pact of confidence which the West must forge with the Islamic world."

Selling a message

Correspondents say there has been a rush of interest in civilian nuclear technology among Arab countries in the past 18 months, with at least six expressing their interest to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Mr Sarkozy has been working to ensure that France benefits from any such proliferation - just as he has helped sell French nuclear know-how to China.

But analysts say he is equally keen to sell a message - that there is no Western monopoly on nuclear power.

US President George W Bush is currently touring the region to rally support for his policy of isolating Iran over its controversial nuclear activities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7185660.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Roasted Cashew
01-16-2008, 03:18 AM
I like the idea of the nuclear deals but the French shouldn't have build a military base in UAE. It really does anger a lot of people. Imagine if China or Russia demanded permanent military bases in America and France. I don't know why UAE would accept it. Why not just ask Muslim countries to help them out. Indonesia has a lot of Soldiers. Pakistan has a powerful military. You know many Muslims don't like foreign non-Muslim troops on Muslim Soil.

And you wonder what was the hype with the speed boat vs warship hype all about. There's little doubt in my mind that the Americans faked the audio and the fact that it happenes just a few days before Bush's trip to the Gulf States does raise a few questions. The idiot should have known that it would take more than that to form an anti-Iran Coalition.

My Iranian brothers, this Sunni Pakistani loves you and hope you all the best. I will never hate Iran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.