/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Japanese whaling/ killings in Australian territories...

Ebtisweetsam
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Salam all... i am just curious as to what people think of the Japanese whaling in Australia's ocean?
I for one, believe they should ask the Aust Govt.
Two, even though it is not haram to eat them, they might be extinct due to the amount that are being killed.
Three: Only their fins are being chopped off for shark fin soup, so this is pretty cruel to the big ol' whales....:-\^o)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, there has been a problem with the scale of Japanese whaling for a long time.

north_malaysian
01-16-2008, 12:39 PM
If the eskimos want to catch a big whale to feed and provide the oil/fat for the whole village. It's ok.

But Japanese killing many whales just to feed a few hundreds of gluttony and greedy Japanese who have to eat exotic animals for leisure is a big NO!

Malaikah
01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
:sl:

If indeed they are placing an endangered species at greater risk than it needs then I don't agree with it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
There no longer is any need for anyone to kill whales or porposes. They are not a major food source for anybody except the Eskimos in a few Arctic areas and they pose not threat to the whale population. But, this killing industry just so a few people can enjoy something "exotic" is stupid and an insult to what we have been blessed with. Far better to enjoy a picture of a breeching whale than to to have a bowl of greasy soup.

Ebtisweetsam
01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
The thing i dont understand is that most people in the world are against it, yet for some reason, the Japanese keep getting away with 'whale murder' (if i may put it that way)......
Google Japanes whaling and u will get a whole lot of 'against whaling' articles.... but they are being hunted again and again.:confused:

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ebtisweetsam
The thing i dont understand is that most people in the world are against it, yet for some reason, the Japanese keep getting away with 'whale murder' (if i may put it that way)......
Google Japanes whaling and u will get a whole lot of 'against whaling' articles.... but they are being hunted again and again.:confused:
the whole problem comes up with who owns the oceans? Who has the right to enforce any restrictions and in what areas can the restrictions be enforced. At what point does international water begin and national water end. Look at the Persian Gulf, What part belongs to Iran, what part belongs to Saudi Arabia what part belongs to everybody for fishing and travel?

The Japanese whalers are operating under the premise that they are free to do as they please in international waters, and nobody can agree as to where Australian waters end and international waters begin.

Ebtisweetsam
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
the whole problem comes up with who owns the oceans? Who has the right to enforce any restrictions and in what areas can the restrictions be enforced. At what point does international water begin and national water end. Look at the Persian Gulf, What part belongs to Iran, what part belongs to Saudi Arabia what part belongs to everybody for fishing and travel?

The Japanese whalers are operating under the premise that they are free to do as they please in international waters, and nobody can agree as to where Australian waters end and international waters begin.
Well Greenpeace were in court today arguing this exact point... that the Japanese ARE in Australian waters, therefore it is illegal to be killing the whales here. But it is causing a strain on our poor dear government, who dont want the Big Bully Japanese Govt. to be upset from us anymore:confused:

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Well Greenpeace were in court today arguing this exact point... that the Japanese ARE in Australian waters, therefore it is illegal to be killing the whales here. But it is causing a strain on our poor dear government, who dont want the Big Bully Japanese Govt. to be upset from us anymore:confused:
Sadly, the only feasible means to end the Japanese Whaling seems to be to eliminate the economic value of whaling (which will not happen as long as there are people buying whale products) or for an international enforcement agency, with the authority to use deadly force, bombs and sinks every whaling vessel at sea.(which I don't see happening either, as most people do value human life above the life of a whale.)

The best chance is to work with agencies like Greenpeace, to disrupt the economic value of whaling.

Keltoi
01-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Inevitably, the answer to this problem is going to have to come from the Japanese themselves. As long as there is a market in Japan for whale products there will be whaling.

Fishman
01-16-2008, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
with the authority to use deadly force, bombs and sinks every whaling vessel at sea
:sl:
If people war-decced eachother every time a whale is killed then people would be the endangered species! :D
:w:

krypton6
01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Some times the life of a innocent peaceful and rare animal is worth more than the life of its murderer.

I think its horrible that they do it legally.

Trumble
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Salam all... i am just curious as to what people think of the Japanese whaling in Australia's ocean?
I think the whalers should be given a warm welcome by all the world's navies (barring Japan, presumably). A warm welcome in the form of ten minutes warning to take to the lifeboats before firing torpedoes, that is.

Not a very Buddhist point of view, I confess, but I do feel strongly on this. Everything about whaling is utterly barbaric. The killing of relatively intelligent (we still no no idea quite how intelligent) creatures (that still may be close to extinction) to support a meat market that has to be heavily subsidised to exist at all, under the blatant lie of being for 'research'. If my first suggestion is a little extreme, I'd settle for comprehensive economic sanctions against Japan until the last whaling ship is scrapped. No chance, unfortunately. :grumbling

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.