/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Evangelical Christians and Muslims meet

glo
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
The second meeting of an Evangelical Christian-Muslim Dialogue took place in Tripoli last week, and was heralded by participants as an important step forward in understanding between two faith traditions that have often been at loggerheads.

The aim of the gathering in Libya, from 3-6 January, was to engage in conversation on the themes of “Human Nature and the Divine Presence.” The dialogue, which followed a November, 2006 gathering in Chicago, Illinois, USA, began with a welcome keynote address by Dr Muhammad Ahmed Sharif, Secretary General of the World Islamic Call Society, which hosted the interfaith event.

Themes addressed in the three-day meeting included “Sin and Forgiveness in Islamic and Evangelical Christian Thought,” “Salvation and Atonement in Christianity and Islam,” “Religious Freedom and Persecution: Our Mutual Responsibilities,” “Women and the Family,” “Human Rights and the Dignity of the Children of Adam.”

Other panels focused on citizenship and civic responsibility, racial justice, and the nature of worship in the two traditions.

[...]

The meeting emphasized the importance and potential of intensified efforts to expand the dialogue between Muslim and Evangelical Christian leaders and institutions around the world.

[...]
Full article here.

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
01-16-2008, 07:05 PM
There is that word again Glo...evangelical...:)

Roasted Cashew
01-18-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of evangelicals because of their stand on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. They don't agree on dividing Jerusalem which is a key issue for the two state solution and I also heard they have interest in the destruction of the third holiest site of Islam, the Al-Aqsa mosque in order to rebuilt a Jewish temple.

Although I think as persons they would be just like everyone else. I certainly was not looking to make a generalisation.

glo
01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
I'm not a big fan of evangelicals because of their stand on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. They don't agree on dividing Jerusalem which is a key issue for the two state solution and I also heard they have interest in the destruction of the third holiest site of Islam, the Al-Aqsa mosque in order to rebuilt a Jewish temple.

Although I think as persons they would be just like everyone else. I certainly was not looking to make a generalisation.
Greetings, hmmm5

We've had a discussion on the meaning of the term 'evangelicals' very recently.
Turn out, it means different things to different people ...
Certainly many people who would call themselves as evangelicals, would not fit your description above.
Being an evangelical Christian is not a political statement, and evangelical Christians may hold all sorts of political views - on the Israel/Palestine conflict and other topics.
(See this thread for more information http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...stians-61.html - particularly post 904 by Keltoi and 905 by Grace Seeker)

For the sake of this thread, the issue I was trying to highlight was that of Muslims and Christians coming together to understand each other's faiths better and to find common ground to build peaceful and respectful relationships on.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Roasted Cashew
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, hmmm5

We've had a discussion on the meaning of the term 'evangelicals' very recently.
Turn out, it means different things to different people ...
Certainly many people who would call themselves as evangelicals, would not fit your description above.
Being an evangelical Christian is not a political statement, and evangelical Christians may hold all sorts of political views - on the Israel/Palestine conflict and other topics.
(See this thread for more information http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...stians-61.html - particularly post 904 by Keltoi and 905 by Grace Seeker)

For the sake of this thread, the issue I was trying to highlight was that of Muslims and Christians coming together to understand each other's faiths better and to find common ground to build peaceful and respectful relationships on.

Peace
Greetings, glo

I understand what you said and I'm sure most people don't hold such political and religious views as I stated in the earlier post. It's just that after watching CNN's God's Christian Warriors(a section on such 'evangelicals'), I became very furious:mad:. They were really vocal and had a really big crowd and a fat guy was yelling some stuff about Israel.

Keltoi
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
Greetings, glo

I understand what you said and I'm sure most people don't hold such political and religious views as I stated in the earlier post. It's just that after watching CNN's God's Christian Warriors(a section on such 'evangelicals'), I became very furious:mad:. They were really vocal and had a really big crowd and a fat guy was yelling some stuff about Israel.
You should keep in mind that CNN will find the most dramatic brand of "evangelicalism"..whatever that is, for purposes of that documentary. Most American Christians probably aren't that concerned with Israel one way or the other. Most of that is rooted in politics and not religion.

cihad
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Alhamdulillah! the Quran says that those who are closest to us are the christians

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.