/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Watching Cartoon??

*Maysun
01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Assalaamu Alaikuum Warahamatul Lahi Wabarakatuh

is it allowed to watch cartoon .. well i only watch cartoon when i am free...

btw i only watch arabic cartoon .. to improve my arabic .. but allahu a3lam if its allowed or not..

Wa Jazaka kum Allahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
samad240
01-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Assalaamu Alaikuum

As far as I know. I was told cartoons weren't allowed. But you're talking about in an educational way and that arabic too. I would like to know that too =).

Nájlá
01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
i got told that cartoon is haram but wait a little bit till you get more post because i am not sure.

minaz
01-17-2008, 09:17 PM
*Maysun btw i only watch arabic cartoon .. to improve my arabic
Is South Park available in Arabic? :P

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PersianPrince
01-18-2008, 12:04 AM
I used to watch Transformers as a kid. What about Dragonball-Z and Pokemon?

Actually, I suppose everything should be within limits. A child of 7 years (please correct me if I'm wrong) should be praying regularly. I guess cartoons or any form of entertainment should be within limits. "Limits" means clean, unoffensive and also not watching them for hours on end so that prayers and other Islamic duties are missed.

جوري
01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't seen anything wrong with cartoons provided they are not obscene..
you should actually learn to strike a balance in your life.. if you don't, you might actually deaden your soul...
there is a time to work, time to pray, time for sport, time for play, time for family, time for zakat..

The Prophet said: 'The religion (of Islam) is easy. No one ever made it difficult without it becoming too much for him. So avoid extremes and strike a balance, do the best you can and be cheerful, and seek Allah's help (through prayer) in the morning, and evening, and part of the night.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)

:w:

Angelzz
01-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Its not about the cartoon itself -- more on what is IN the cartoon thats questionable.

Such as music, inappropriate themes and topics etc

For more information please read source as it makes some very good points

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...g&txt=cartoons

iwuvaziaf
01-18-2008, 08:33 AM
omg!!!! cartoons r awful.. my niece, at 4 decided to go on a little adventure round the block when she had chicken pox and my sister popped over to the sweet shop thinking "oh baby is sleeping, its fine" baby was sooo not sleeping.. (ofcourse, she was found by one of her school teachers passing her by on the next road and thought sumtin odd when she saw her in her bed clothes n her alone!)

we asked her why she went and she named sum cartoon character.. i think it might be from Fauna and Flora, the kids in go walking in the neighbourhood in search of parents / friends etc (exiting their homes without permission if need be). Its bad that everything is presented in sucha safe way.. man! we totally got them off cartoons since then..

but i love tom and jerrryyy hehe.. me n dad watched it until last yr and yes my daddy is retireddd..!

oh answering the question of whether cartoons r actually haraam, i wanna know toooooo..

salamaleykum

IceQueen~
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
We don't have TV and so we never watch anything but sometimes my little siblings may get a DVD from somewhere with a cartoon on it- well they recently got 'Shrek' from somewhere and lol I ended up watching it with them :hiding:

then afterwards I felt guilty

Angelzz
01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
There is some really good Islamic DVD's for kids available here mashaallah instills the love of allah swt in their hearts.

The Ruler
01-18-2008, 04:38 PM
:sl:

I don't think that there is an ayah or a hadith that states that cartoons are haraam. The Prophet (saw) did say that drawing human shaped beings was haram... But I don't believe he mentioned anything about looking at them.

------
01-18-2008, 04:53 PM
:salamext:

^^^ Good point sis.

Angelzz
01-19-2008, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian

I don't think that there is an ayah or a hadith that states that cartoons are haraam. The Prophet (saw) did say that drawing human shaped beings was haram... But I don't believe he mentioned anything about looking at them.

Scroll up a few posts and read the source ruling sis --- if nothing haraam is in them as the ruling describes then yes its fine to watch and allah swt knows best.

Whatsthepoint
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian

If drawing is forbidden, don't you think watching is bad as well?
The Quran bans the consumption of alchohol but does it say anything about its production...?

-------------------------

`Â’ishah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The people who will be most severely punished on the Day of Resurrection will be those who aspire to create like Allah.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (5954) and Sahîh Muslim (2107)]

Ibn ``Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Every image maker is in the Fire. For each image he made, a being will be fashioned to torment him in Hell.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (2225) and Sahîh Muslim (2110) – The wording accords with al-Bukhârî]

Abû Talhah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or images representing (people or animals).” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî (3225) and Sahîh Muslim (2106)]

جوري
01-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I have found these on islamonline..
I had to look because in science many images are drawn and pictured for learning purposes

Name Ali - Ireland
Profession
Question Is it Haram to take pictures of people, trees, sunset, etc., using a camera? Also is it haram to draw pictures like human pictures, trees, etc.?

Answer In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

There is nothing wrong, as far as Islamic Shari`ah is concerned, in taking pictures of people, trees, sunset using a camera on condition that such photos are not revered or glorified and they do not depict nudity. Also, to take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission because this may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship.

Having stated the above, it should be clear that there is a difference between taking photos using a camera and the forbidden tasweer, which denotes carving images or statues. Taking photos using a camera does not fall under the forbidden tasweer.

As for the issue of drawing pictures like human pictures, trees, etc, there is nothing wrong in drawing such pictures as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=H7la7U

2-
Name Abdifatah - United States
Profession
Question
Aslaamu aleykum, I will be taking an art class for my major at a local college what am I to avoid in drawing? Please pray for the unity of Muslims for I see people disputing over pity issues while others are finding common ground and uniting.

Answer Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks a lot for your kind question. We implore Allah Almighty to help the Muslim Ummah regain their lost glory and unity.

It should be stressed that Muslims should strive their best to achieve their unity in all aspects. It is against the spirit of Islam to see Muslims divided regarding minor or far`i issues. It is high time for Muslims to be united and forget about their differences. Unity if a unique feature of Islam. Although Islam allows differences of opinions, it stresses the unity of the Ummah and gives it a top priority. Thus, differences of opinions should operate in a healthy framework and such differences are really capable of enriching the Muslim mind and stimulate intellectual development. They could help to expand perspectives and make us look at problems and issues in their wider and deeper ramifications, and with greater precision and thoroughness.

When there is a controversial issue among Muslim jurists, one is allowed to follow the opinion that best suits him without blaming others for following another opinion.

As for the issue of drawing, there is nothing wrong in it as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified. The detested pictures and images are only those, which are worshiped and revered.

Within these restrictions drawing humans, animals, natural scenes, etc. is permitted. What is prohibited is making a statue or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional).

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=3QU7bd

Question and Answer Details

Name of Questioner
Arwa - Egypt

Title
Drawing from an Islamic Perspective

Question
Is it haram to draw portraits or beings? What is the Islamic view on drawing?

Date
09/Oct/2002

Name of Counsellor
Islam Online Fatwa Editing Desk

Topic
Drawing & Photography

Answer

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

We’d like first to state that there is nothing wrong in drawing as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified. The detested pictures and images are only those, which are worshiped and revered.

Within these restrictions drawing humans, animals, natural scenes, etc. is permitted. What is prohibited is making a statue or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional).

Here, we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa:

"One may draw pictures of people, animals, etc. as long as they don’t depict anything against Islamic guidelines. It is important to understand that Muslims don't replicate 'images' because they believe that on the Day of Judgment, they will be asked to put a soul in the 'images' they made, challenging Allah’s creation. Also, they don't replicate 'images' believing that the Angels will not enter their houses. This is based on several authentic Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

However, in the Arabic Language, what we call Sourah or commonly translated as 'image' can mean several things, and in the context of the prohibition, it means a statute or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional) and not a photographic picture.

Therefore, while statutes are prohibited, pictures in magazines, televisions, newspapers, books, computers, drawings, etc. are allowed. Such pictures can however be prohibited if they depict nudity or other indecent representations. But even being allowed, they should be done when necessary and not to pass time."

The above Fatwa is excerpted with slight modifications from www.islamicity.com

You can also read:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503546054

InToTheRain
01-20-2008, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
The Quran bans the consumption of alchohol but does it say anything about its production...?
It was reported by Anas, a Companion of the Prophet, that Muhammad, peace be upon him said:

Allah’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol.

The one who distils it;

The one for whom it has been distilled;

The one who drinks it;

The one who transports it;

The one for whom it has been brought;

The one who serves it;

The one who sells it;

The one who utilises the money from it;

The one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else.

*Maysun
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z.AL-Rashid
It was reported by Anas, a Companion of the Prophet, that Muhammad, peace be upon him said:

Allah’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol.

The one who distils it;

The one for whom it has been distilled;

The one who drinks it;

The one who transports it;

The one for whom it has been brought;

The one who serves it;

The one who sells it;

The one who utilises the money from it;

The one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else.

Assalaamu Alaikuum..

jazaka allah khair brother ... but brother i didnt mean dat.... i watch normal arab cartoon which is bout sport like football.

is this not allowed in islam??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.