/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Found: rat the size of a hippo

Muezzin
01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Source, with picture of skull

Claire Truscott guardian.co.uk, Wednesday January 16 2008

The creature, nicknamed Mighty Mouse, is believed to have lived around 4m years ago, half submerged in water in order to reduce the stress caused by its vast size.

Its skull was discovered in a boulder that fell away from a cliff in the San Jose region of Uruguay.

However, the importance of the find was not immediately realised and the fossil was stored in the Montevideo national history museum for many years.

When palaeontologists Andreas Rinderknecht and Ernesto Blanco took a closer look last year, they realised it belonged to a creature that had never been seen before.

It is the first near-complete giant rodent skull to have been found. Researchers had previously been limited to studying bone fragments.

"It is a very impressive fossil," Blanco said. "From my point of view, it is very beautiful.

"We only have the skull, so it is not possible to be certain, but - looking at other large rodents - I guess that it was three metres long from the tip of its nose to the end of its very short tail."

Known by its Latin name, Josephoartigasia monesi, the vegetarian rat looked like a cross between a guinea pig and a beaver.

It is thought to have been similar to the capybara and pacarana, smaller creatures that can still be found in South America.

Capybaras are the biggest living rodents, growing to just over 60kg, while pacaranas weigh 15kg. The common rat weighs around 300g.

Although the Josephoartigasia monesi is thought to have had an average weight of around one tonne, its biggest examples could have weighed more than 2.5 tonnes - around the same as a medium-sized hippopotamus.

The rodent was estimated to be around three metres (10ft) long and 1.5 metres tall.

Its huge incisors - more than 30cm (12in) long – left researchers puzzled because its other, smaller, teeth showed that it ate only soft vegetation. Blanco believes the incisors could have been used to fight off predators or to fell trees in the same way beavers do.

At the time of its existence, the giant rat would have had to dodge attacks from huge meat-eating birds and sabre-toothed cats.

"It probably ate aquatic plants and fruits, and the environment probably was a forest near fresh water," Blanco added. "But much work is needed to have a definitive picture."

Until now, the largest prehistoric rodent to have been found was a 118-stone creature discovered in Venezuela in 2000 and believed to have lived 8m years ago.

The Mighty Mouse was roughly twice the size of the next biggest rodent of its time, a South American species called Phoberomys.

Rinderknecht, of the National Museum of Natural History and Anthropology in Montevideo, Uruguay, and Blanco, of the Institute of Physics, also in Montevideo, reported their findings in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
01-16-2008, 04:46 PM
:salamext:

Imagine having that running around the sewers in London. Oh joy.

Muezzin
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Now all they have to do is find four ginormous turtles, an assortment of coloured bandanas and an arsenal of ninja weapons and we're in business.

truemuslim
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
ew...ew...ew...

i wonder...what if that thing is one of the things u find in old sick houses...EWWWW!!! i swear i would like die... i scream and sweat when i find a lizard...imagine this...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Unless you can travel to prehistoric times, you'll never bump into one of these things.

...Inshallah.

truemuslim
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
^^^ thank god... *shaking...seriously*

Woodrow
01-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I thought that they had discovered a slighter smaller relative still living in Washington D.C..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
:sl:

Ugh.....+o( Lol, if i ever saw that...imma be in crazy mode lol. Blah.

syilla
01-17-2008, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I thought that they had discovered a slighter smaller relative still living in Washington D.C..
Do you think you can post the picture? :coolious:

Woodrow
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Do you think you can post the picture? :coolious:

No problem

------
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM

No Woodrow Uncle! He's a twin of:

:X

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
LOL...
:w:

Tania
01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
How can they say rat when he had 3 meters :? He should have another name.

truemuslim
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
lol woodrow ur hilarius

ranma1/2
01-18-2008, 06:45 AM
so what kind of cheese do you feed a 900 lb rat?

any kind it wants.

adeeb
01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
rat?? maybe another extinct creatures...

syilla
01-18-2008, 07:18 AM
i think this is 3 meters...

------
01-18-2008, 09:18 AM

^^ LOL! Where's that :ooh:

mutlib
01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
well its weight is 1 tone
i was shocked when i saw it on the tv

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
wow syilla..what those ppl trying to do?? scare the $h!1 outta me? thank god i aint in that city..

Mikayeel
01-18-2008, 11:00 PM
e!, thats some fat rat, serious that thing would terrorise if it was arround now:P

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
e!, thats some fat rat, serious that thing would terrorise if it was arround now:P
lol yah that true... i would die before it kills me tho..

-Elle-
01-19-2008, 12:31 AM
You've officially just described my mother's nightmare.:eek:

I don't mind rats;...well,except for the diseases and all.Oh,and that tail.

Ok.nevermind.I do mind rats.
lol

Mikayeel
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
You've officially just described my mother's nightmare.:eek:

I don't mind rats;...well,except for the diseases and all.Oh,and that tail.

Ok.nevermind.I do mind rats.
lol
loool!:P, i barely seen the '' nevermind i do mind rats'' :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.