/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would clones have souls?

-Elle-
01-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Alright,I have no idea if anyone will be able to answer this question,but it's been irking me for a while now...

As im sure you all have heard,there have been counts of animal cloning...I know that they were able to clone a sheep,I think pigs and cows too...

Now,let's say,in the future,they were able to clone human beings(which is no doubt haram,im certain...I mean,if painting a picture of a person is haram,imagine CLONING one...),anyway,yes,let's say there were able to clone human beings,and these people grew up and were healthy,concious,active people...

Would these people have souls?I mean,if they're concious beings and are capable of thinking,feeling,etc,wouldn't they have a soul and be held accountable for their actions before Allah(SWT)?

I apoligise if some of you find this absolutly absurd,lol,because my scientific reasoning upon this matter has been scarcely researched,im asking this question out of the top of my head.

thanks in advance to whoever offers an answer...theories would be appreciated too. :)
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MartyrX
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I doubt we would find any answers on cloning in the Quran, but I doubt it. How could a clone have a soul? It wasn't conceived with love from parents.

Mikayeel
01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Wa alekum alsalaam wa rahmat allah wa barakatahu, ofcourse a clone has a soul:), its like a twin but more accurate..
They dont create the actuall soul or animal. but they tranfer the gene's of an excisting animal and these gene enter a process of a normal zygote, but its pre detirmened how it is going to look like etc.

Jayda
01-22-2008, 04:24 PM
hola

God breathes life into people... people do not 'create' life. so whether our participation in bringing about new life is through conventional methods, with the help of science (like fertility drugs and 'test tube' babies) or purely through science like cloning ultimately God has decided to breathe life into His creation and so it has a soul.

still, i think cloning is not what God intended for us and is sinful. science must have boundaries, some questions should not be asked and some frontiers should not be explored.

que Dios te bendiga

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
ANYTHING living (human or animal) has a soul. So yes is the answer.

Keltoi
02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
It is a difficult question. I do have to agree with the previous post, if it is alive it has a soul...but a soul in what state? Say it is a human clone...maybe my clone. It's me, but it isn't me. So there is a copy of myself walking around with a completely individualized soul of its own? I suppose that is the only conclusion one could come to, but it isn't easy to get your head around.

Trumble
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I do have to agree with the previous post, if it is alive it has a soul...but a soul in what state?
Very interesting thread. A question for Keltoi if I may?.. I'm a little surprised at your response. I know that Descartes (a committed Catholic) pretty much jumped through hoops to deny that anything non-human could have a soul..to the extent that he denied animals have any sort of mental life at all, including sensations. Has the Christian doctrine changed, or was Descartes view never eally adopted ahead of earlier ideas that everything living must have a soul.. indeed that it was the soul that pretty much defined life?

Back to the question, from what I understand of Christian and muslim doctrine clones would have souls as God is responsible for putting them there. I don't think the parenting circumstances are relevant. Buddhists donot believe there is such as thing as a soul, at least in the sense implied here.

Keltoi
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Very interesting thread. A question for Keltoi if I may?.. I'm a little surprised at your response. I know that Descartes (a committed Catholic) pretty much jumped through hoops to deny that anything non-human could have a soul..to the extent that he denied animals have any sort of mental life at all, including sensations. Has the Christian doctrine changed, or was Descartes view never eally adopted ahead of earlier ideas that everything living must have a soul.. indeed that it was the soul that pretty much defined life?

Back to the question, from what I understand of Christian and muslim doctrine clones would have souls as God is responsible for putting them there. I don't think the parenting circumstances are relevant. Buddhists donot believe there is such as thing as a soul, at least in the sense implied here.
I suppose then we have to define soul. My definition would be an immortal spiritual self that survives the death of the body. To be quite honest I haven't really explored this area in terms of Christian theology. I understand that Descarte dismissed any notion that animals possessed a soul, but there is nothing in the Bible that says straight out whether an animal has an immortal soul or not. Perhaps because I'm also Native American I have a different view of the natural world than most Christians, but I suppose in this case the agnostic answer is the best...I don't know. :)

piXie
02-01-2008, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
let's say there were able to clone human beings,and these people grew up and were healthy,concious,active people...
:sl:

I strongly doubt that would ever happen :skeleton:

-Elle-
02-01-2008, 04:28 PM
so I guess the short answer would be yes,thanks everyone.:)

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
It is a difficult question. I do have to agree with the previous post, if it is alive it has a soul...but a soul in what state? Say it is a human clone...maybe my clone. It's me, but it isn't me. So there is a copy of myself walking around with a completely individualized soul of its own? I suppose that is the only conclusion one could come to, but it isn't easy to get your head around.

hmm...well consider this;a copy of yourself yes,but only physically.You can't say that the "clone" would live the exact same life as you had,it's kind of like having a twin.God would breath a completly separate soul inside that living being;not a part of your soul.

Anyway,like piXie said,I doubt they'll be able to clone human beings...and even if they were able to clone humans in the future (im saying hundreds of years from now,)there would surely be numerous protests and powerful oppositions against this "science"...by religious people yes,but I wonder what atheists or agnostics or whoever else present at that time would think of this...

anw,

:sl:

AvarAllahNoor
02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
So ki­o manhu visārī­ai jā kė jī­a parāṇ.

How can you forget the One who created your soul, and the praanaa, the breath of life?

Guru Nanak Dev Ji

So, if you breathe,, you have a soul.

- Qatada -
02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
:salamext:

The clone would only come to life by the will of Allah, like IVF etc. right? So the only way it could come to life is if a soul was created for it, this would already be predestined by Allah.

So if it were to come to life, then a soul would enter by the will of Allah as something already predestined. However, if Allah never destined it to come to life - then it would not come to life at all.

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.