/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help to people who really don't need it

itsme
01-17-2008, 02:22 AM
:sl:

In a hadith our Prophet (saw) has said that one who can help his brother should do it. From this we can deduce that we should not refuse someone who comes to us for help. But is this unconditional? Let us say someone asks you to do something for him/her, but you know that he/she could have done the job himself/herself. He/she is just asking you to do it so he/she won't have to do it. What would you do? Do it or refuse that person?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
-Elle-
01-17-2008, 02:31 AM
:sl:

I think there's a very clear difference between helping someone and doing something for them when they are clearly capable of doing it themselves.

If someone,for example,has difficulty writting an essay,and they ask you for your help;then you should definetly lend a hand,but if they ask you to write the essay for them...they've pretty much crossed the line.(let alone the fact that you'd be cheating..).

Helping someone who is in need of help is,in my opinion,everyone's duty...also,helping someone do something doesn't mean you actually do it for them...it means assisting them in whatever situation their in.

Unless it's a circumstance where someone broke their arm and need you to drive them around or something.

Someone who seeks help because he's too lazy to do it himself is simply,in my opinion,taking advantage of you.

Anyway,in the end,I think it depends on the circumstances your in.

:w: sis

adeeb
01-17-2008, 02:34 AM
^ true,

help in good things not in bad things...

itsme
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Jazaakallh khair sis Houda and bro Adeeb. May Allah bless you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohsen1985
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
What about panhandling?

chacha_jalebi
01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
^ whats that

ikaj
01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
ya i agree that in some instances you have to be careful about how you assist others, if you write someone's essay for them youre not really helping them youre hurting them..bc they're not learnign for themselves.

mohsen1985
01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
it's when some stranger comes up to you and asks you for money

ikaj
01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
i think we should discourage panhandling. i had a family member who would refuse to give out straight cash to people on the street rather he use to go down to the street and buy alot of rotten vegetables and food from the sellers bc it would help them and encourage them to work for money rather than just beg for it..
and no one else was going to buy those rotten vegetables anyway...

MartyrX
01-17-2008, 07:34 PM
My friends brother is like that. He's always asking fro help for something he can do. He even begged for money at walmart one night to get money to buy his meds. He had the money, but he wanted more for pop and candy.

Anyways I believe you should help someone who is in need. If that person doesn't want to help them self then you don't need to help them.

------
01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
:salamext:

It depends on what the situation is init. Like some people in Pakistan pretend to have lost a leg, or pretend to be blind to get money....It's quite sad really. In these cases, in my opinion, use ur better judgement.

Angelzz
01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
What about the person who desperately needs help but has noone or nowhere to turn -- maybe even doesnt know of a place that may be common knowledge to you.

Islam doesnt encourage begging - yes but that doesnt mean you ignore the person - I mean if you dont want to give them a few pennies cause it may "encourage" them -- then talk to them and buy them food or water -- they are human beings and shouldnt be treated like lepers (unless they clearly dont want to be helped then let them be).

Just a smile and chat can change someones day -- imagine how much a cup of coffee, lunch and chat will do for someone.

How do you know that Allah swt is not testing you with this person coming to ask you for help??

And if you are gonna buy them food please follow the example of the Prophet saws and buy them the best of foods

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.