/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim athlete disqualified over uniform

Roasted Cashew
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Wed Jan 16, 5:04 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A high school track star has been disqualified from a meet because officials said the custom-made outfit she wears to conform to her Muslim faith violated competition rules.

Juashaunna Kelly, a senior at the District of Columbia's Theodore Roosevelt High School, has the fastest mile and 2-mile times of any girl runner in the city this winter. She was disqualified from Saturday's Montgomery Invitational indoor track and field meet.

Kelly was wearing the same uniform she has worn for three seasons while running for Theodore Roosevelt's cross-country and track teams. The custom-made, one-piece blue and orange unitard covers her head, arms, torso and legs. Over the unitard, she wears the same orange and blue T-shirt and shorts as her teammates.

The outfit allows her to compete while adhering to her Muslim faith, which forbids displaying any skin other than her face and hands.

"It's not special," Kelly said. "It doesn't make me perform better."

But meet director Tom Rogers said Kelly's uniform violated rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations, which sanctioned the event. Uniforms are required to be "a single-solid color and unadorned, except for a single school name or insignia no more than 2 1/4 inches," he said.

Rogers said that he knew Kelly was wearing the uniform for religious reasons and that he offered her several options to conform to the rules while still respecting her faith, including placing a plain T-shirt over her unitard and then wearing her team uniform over it.

Kelly's mother, Sarah, and Roosevelt Coach Tony Bowden disputed that account. They said officials made several demands of her daughter before Rogers made his decision.

"First, they said she had to take her hood off," Sarah Kelly said. "Then, they said she can't have anything with logos displayed. Then, they said she had to turn it inside out. When I told them that there weren't any logos on it, they said she had to put a plain white T-shirt on over it."

Juashaunna Kelly has worn the same uniform for three years without any problems, including at last year's Montgomery Invitational. Rogers said officials must have missed the uniform last year.

"It wasn't a problem last year, and it's a problem this year? Make me understand why," Bowden said.

Kelly, whose 1,600-meter time of 5 minutes 17.49 seconds and 3,200-meter time of 12:00.81 are the fastest of any D.C. girl, was hoping to run fast enough at the Montgomery Invitational to qualify for the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York on Feb. 8-9.

Bowden said the team has no other meets scheduled that would allow her to qualify for the event, which attracts dozens of college recruiters.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/...uslim_clothing

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
mash'Allah, a sister who is an athelete! But I wouldn't call this news a bad thing. This could be good for her deen because even though she isn't allowed to display her skin except her face and hands her clothes might be tight enough for men to see her figure.

So Alhumdolillaah.

Pygoscelis
01-25-2008, 03:06 AM
I expect that if she wore baggy enough clothing to hide said figure she'd wind up tripping over herself or at least be so slowed down that she may as well not compete.

Malaikah
01-25-2008, 03:10 AM
^I've seen the pictures of her outfit- she wore trackies. they were loose, but I've never seen anyone trip over a pair of trousers they were wearing.

As for being slowed down, I doubt it will make too much of a differnece considering:

Kelly, whose 1,600-meter time of 5 minutes 17.49 seconds and 3,200-meter time of 12:00.81 are the fastest of any D.C. girl,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cihad
01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
get the facts, they don't want a muslim to be winning all the medals.

wilberhum
01-25-2008, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
get the facts, they don't want a muslim to be winning all the medals.
Get the facts, rules apply to everyone. :peace:

Fishman
01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Get the facts, rules apply to everyone. :peace:
:sl:
Get the facts, some people make rules that apply to everybody but only affect specific groups...:peace:

I don't think that this is much to do with Muslims winning medals, I just think that they thought it was too weird and they didn't like it. Standard ignorance...

It is like that martial art commitee banning the hijab, though there are more safety concerns with that, as if somebody grabbed a hijab the hijabi might get strangled.
:w:

wilberhum
01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Get the facts, some people make rules that apply to everybody but only affect specific groups...:peace:

I don't think that this is much to do with Muslims winning medals, I just think that they thought it was too weird and they didn't like it. Standard ignorance...

It is like that martial art commitee banning the hijab, though there are more safety concerns with that, as if somebody grabbed a hijab the hijabi might get strangled.
If you look back and check you see that the rules have been in effect a long time and have nothing to do with the hijab. She was offered solutions that would have been with her religious beliefs. She turned them down.

Uniforms are required to be "a single-solid color and unadorned, except for a single school name or insignia no more than 2 1/4 inches," he said.

Rogers said that he knew Kelly was wearing the uniform for religious reasons and that he offered her several options to conform to the rules while still respecting her faith, including placing a plain T-shirt over her unitard and then wearing her team uniform over it.
This is nothing but nursing a percussion complex.

Muezzin
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
"It wasn't a problem last year, and it's a problem this year? Make me understand why," Bowden said
I concur with Coach Bowden.

Mostly because I agree with what he's actually saying, but partially because 'Bowden' is just an awesome name.

wilberhum
01-25-2008, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I concur with Coach Bowden.

Mostly because I agree with what he's actually saying, but partially because 'Bowden' is just an awesome name.
Yesterday I was driving 60 MPH in a 40 zone. I passed a cop and he did nothing.

Today I was driving 60 MPH in a 40 zone. I passed a cop and he stopped me and gave me a ticket.

Make me understand why. :thumbs_do

Muezzin
01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Yesterday I was driving 60 MPH in a 40 zone. I passed a cop and he did nothing.

Today I was driving 60 MPH in a 40 zone. I passed a cop and he stopped me and gave me a ticket.

Make me understand why. :thumbs_do
Ah, but she was (possibly, in an alternate dimension) running at 60 MPH!

:p

But seriously, surely she can get another custom-made unitard that is just one colour? A... unicolour unitard!

That wouldn't break the rules, if the article is anything to go by.

wilberhum
01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Ah, but she was (possibly, in an alternate dimension) running at 60 MPH!

:p

But seriously, surely she can get another custom-made unitard that is just one colour? A... unicolour unitard!

That wouldn't break the rules, if the article is anything to go by.
If the article is anything to go by. Is something we may never know. Back when the thread was created I did some research but found nothing.

But as you said "surely she can get another custom-made unitard that is just one colour".

As the article pointed out
he offered her several options to conform to the rules while still respecting her faith
There aren't any "Bad Guys" here. Rules were enforced, she was given valid options, she declined.

Fishman
01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
If you look back and check you see that the rules have been in effect a long time and have nothing to do with the hijab. She was offered solutions that would have been with her religious beliefs. She turned them down.

This is nothing but nursing a percussion complex.
EDIT: Ah, yes it was more than one colour, I just didn't read the article properly. I agree then. She should have just put on a white t-shirt or something...

wilberhum
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=316&sid=1327824
The organization told the school system that the decision was based solely on the multicolored top, she said.
That makes it clear to me.

Malaikah
01-26-2008, 07:14 AM
If it was only about the t-shirt colour why did they first ask her to take the hood off?

wilberhum
01-26-2008, 07:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
If it was only about the t-shirt colour why did they first ask her to take the hood off?
Obviously you didn't read my post. :?

The organization told the school system that the decision was based solely on the multicolored top, she said.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.