/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter KILLED the baby

Pk_#2
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,

HARTFORD, Conn. - A baby sitter was charged with the murder of a toddler who police said was fatally injured when she swung him around in a sleeping bag for fun and his head smacked a door frame.
b?P6Fbma0WTVvqdLL3DRD0YDw5TUh2fvkePYKgABMHL&ampT17bjojq4n2fX3d12005787282fE3d89032392fR3dnews2 fK3d52fV3d212fW3dH2fY3dYAHOO2fF3d2425059672fH3dY2F jaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJwb2xpY2U7UG9saWNlO 0Fka2lucztJdDtjcmltaW5hbDsiIHJlZnVybD0iIiB0b3BpY3M 9IiI 2fQ3d 12fS3d12fJ3dE5519345&ampU13crhaj7n2fN3dIlJiKdGDJHE 2fC3d4993241208772112512534109481632fD3dLREC2fB3d4 324550 -
Police re-arrested 25-year-old Yalines Torres late Wednesday, a day after she was released after posting bond on charges of risk of injury to a minor and reckless endangerment.
Torres was being held on $1 million bond on the new charge of capital felony murder and was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, Sgt. Edward Yergeau said.

Torres was watching 19-month-old Elijah Gasque on Friday evening while his mother worked. According to a police report, Torres told Julie Adkins-Gasque that Elijah had a seizure and collapsed during a game of ring-around-the-rosy.

Police said Torres made conflicting statements to them about the injury, saying that her own 2-year-old son struck him in the head with a xylophone toy and that Elijah may have been hurt when he fell after she twirled him in the air and set him down.

But after more questioning, police said Torres said Elijah was injured in a game in which she bundled him in a closed sleeping bag and she jogged through her apartment with the bag slung over her shoulder.
Going through one doorway, Torres lost her balance and the bag struck the door frame twice, police said. When she opened the bag, Elijah was pale and not breathing, according to the police report.
He died at a hospital the next day. A police report noted Elijah had a skull fracture and bleeding in the brain, and the medical examiner's office ruled the death a homicide.

Police said Torres admitted that she had initially lied about the boy's injuries because people would think she intentionally hurt the boy if she told the truth. Her lawyer was not in the office Wednesday and not available for comment.

During her arraignment, Torres was shaky and collapsed into a chair. The arraignment was televised under a new state program designed to make the courts more open. It was believed to be the first arraignment in the state at which cameras were permitted. The state previously allowed cameras during a few criminal trials.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080117/...mIdvTyH2dH2ocA

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zarmina
01-21-2008, 06:20 AM
What a tragedy! She should have just told the truth from the beginning. So sad. :(

Woodrow
01-21-2008, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zarmina
What a tragedy! She should have just told the truth from the beginning. So sad. :(
True, that was her crime. The truth could have probably kept this from becoming seen as a criminal matter.

It was a dumb mistake, a case of incompetence and should not be made into a criminal case. Her own suffering over what happened is more punishment than what the State can ever do. The tragedy and guilt over accidentally killing an innocent child is all the punishment needed, anything more is just redundant and a wasted effort.

جوري
01-21-2008, 06:39 AM
she wasn't jogging an unlikely story.. medical examiner's report is very consistent with shaken baby syndrome...

she is just looking for some sympathy..
another baby killer trying to lessen the blow!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
01-21-2008, 06:47 AM
:sl:

wow...i cant believe that things like this actually occur...

i mean, an accident is something, and running around with the baby in a sleeping back over ur shoulder is another...thats not exactly wat i had in mind for 'fun n games'...

i think that this lady would need to have some sort of issue...thinking of the idea is one thing but...she actally took the time to find a sleeping back, lift up the baby. put him into this thing, toss it over her shouder and have a hearty run for it..through all the rooms...

i dno...something just doesnt seem right. and she knows it...ring-a-rosy is a normal game...and she lied because its just a tad more usual...same with the xylaphone...

whooh..to think ur child could be in the hands of such people...gives me the creeps.

:w:

truemuslim
01-21-2008, 07:32 AM
LOOOLLLLLL she must be a new babysitter...ur not supposed to play with kids like that! what kind of parents would hire someone like that...

p.s. WHAT A LIER!!!!<<<did i spell that right?

p.s.2.i hate babysitters.

crayon
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow, what a tragedy... heartbreaking.

MartyrX
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Who in their right mind would put a child in a sleeping bag to whirl them around? Seriously that just reeks of a bad idea.

Mysterious Uk
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
This is so sad and shocking :cry: The women obviously does not have any common sense, i mean swinging a kid around in a closed sleeping bag...seriously!? how could she have thought it was a good idea!? I guess people have to be A LOT more careful when picking a babysitter for their kiddies.

Mikayeel
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
ooeh man this is SAD!, imagine the lil baby helpless......:(

The_Prince
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
i was once in the hands of a female baby-sitter when i was a baby, like a month old or something. :) muahahahahahhaha

MTAFFI
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
I hate reading stories like this, it is depressing :(... I have a 2 year old daughter myself and if I ever left her with someone and found out that they did something like this or if I came back and my child was dead..... wow... I dont think I should even describe the reaction I might have... Everyone feels bad for this woman, but to be honest I dont care about her, what about this dead childs parents? Trying to make ends meet for their kid and then some idiot places their kid in a bag and slings him against a door???? My kid has headbutted some doors and other hard blunt objects and you would be suprised how resilient little kids can be, I dont think this little one got a cracked skull and brain hemorrhaging from being "bumped", I think this woman did something bad and if so I hope the truth comes out for the parents sake.

Cognescenti
01-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Ouch..what a sad story. The problem for investigators is the of changing stories for the mechanism of injury is a classic trait of child abuse. Skull fracture and profound brain injury from a toy xylophone?....nope. Striking a door frame with force?..yes, I think that could do it.

The prosecutor can't let this go. They will likely bring charges of murder and give the jury the option of negligent homicide. Uggh, how would you like to be on that jury.

Either way there is a mom without a toddler and a toddler without a mom.

truemuslim
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
This is so sad and shocking :cry: The women obviously does not have any common sense, i mean swinging a kid around in a closed sleeping bag...seriously!? how could she have thought it was a good idea!? I guess people have to be A LOT more careful when picking a babysitter for their kiddies.
she probably thought the baby wouldnt get hurt becuase of the 'cushion' frum the sleepin bag...lol..

cihad
01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
what a stupid idiot!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.