/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Psychology: How do I connect it with Islam?

AntiKarateKid
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey! I have been studying psychology in college and have just finished an introductory course. As I get more and more religious I feel like I need to draw a connection between what I do and Islam. How do we connect psychology and Islam? If a man becomes mentally sick after murdering another man, we say that he has been punished by Allah, psychologists say that his neurons or something have been malfunctioning.

How do we draw a connection? If I can't draw a satisfying connection then I feel that I should drop it. Any advice?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
:sl:
I actually made a thread about Islam and psychology. Good to see another muslim on this forum who shares a somewhat similar interest in psychology!

Don't drop psychology - it's awesome!

anonymous
01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Hmmmm sounds interesting but I know NOTHIN about it Lol

Wouldnt this topic be best off in Education section??? :okay:

glo
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I am not sure whether the scientific explanation and the Islamic one will necessarily be compatible ... but it would be interesting to explore and to discuss.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
If a man becomes mentally sick after murdering another man, we say that he has been punished by Allah, psychologists say that his neurons or something have been malfunctioning.
A potential islamic reason could be shaytan - shaytan keeps reminding him of the event and causing the mental illness. Or you could take the Allah punished him for it theory. I'd have to know a bit more about the hypothetical incident in order to follow up on either theory.

Oh and here is the link to my thread: Click me please

AntiKarateKid
01-18-2008, 03:18 AM
So how do we believe the human is divided up? Like do we have a physical sphere, mental and physical?

the way i see it, when skeptics see a miracle they only see the physical sphere and disregard the spiritual sphere behind it, ( I hope im kinda explaining this well), but the problem is I don't know where our mental sphere comes in... hence my problem with psychology

aamirsaab
01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
So how do we believe the human is divided up? Like do we have a physical sphere, mental and physical?

the way i see it, when skeptics see a miracle they only see the physical sphere and disregard the spiritual sphere behind it, ( I hope im kinda explaining this well), but the problem is I don't know where our mental sphere comes in... hence my problem with psychology
Well personally I believe freud was on to something with the ID, Ego and Superego. We didn't study about the 3 sphere levels in our curriculum though, so I won't be able to comment much about that. But, as a guess, perhaps the mental sphere is what we think or the conflict within our thoughts (e.g. why we hesitate over decisions etc). In other words: the spiritual is the religious reason and the physical is the ''logical'' reason for a miracle. The mental is therefore the thought process or emotional reason.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.