/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Wii warm-up' good for surgeons

minaz
01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
BBC NEWS WEBSITE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7193588.stm

Playing computer games such as the Nintendo Wii can improve a surgeon's performance in the operating theatre, a US study shows.
Only certain games are effective - those requiring delicate movements.

The fine hand control required to play these games acts as a warm up and hones scalpel skills the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Centre team claim.

Now they are designing Wii software that will accurately simulate surgical procedures, New Scientist reports.

They asked eight trainee surgeons to spend an hour playing the games on a console before performing "virtual reality" surgery on a computer system.

Wii warm-up

Game players scored nearly 50% higher on tool control and overall performance than other trainees.

Marble Mania, in which a ball is guided through a 3D obstacle course - was particularly effective in the study.

Researcher Kanav Kohel explained that the type of game play was crucial.

"You don't gain a lot from swinging an imaginary tennis racket.

"The whole point about surgery is to execute small finely controlled movements with your hands, and that is exactly what you get with the Wii."

The fine control needed to move a virtual marble around a 3D maze is similar to the skills needed to perform keyhole surgery, for example.

Colleague Mark Marshall said the games consoles were cheap enough to be used to train surgeons in poorer countries where cutting-edge virtual reality systems were not available.

The researchers will present their work at the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality conference in California later in January.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
:sl:
Wii is awesome and so are surgeons. The ultimate combo in awesomness!

Muezzin
01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
BBC NEWS WEBSITE
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7193588.stm
Only certain games are effective - those requiring delicate movements.

The fine hand control required to play these games acts as a warm up and hones scalpel skills the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Centre team claim.
If that goes for board games, then before their operation, surgeons can play 'Operation'!

Zing!

Oh, all right, I'll go away.

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
lol they even said that old people gain reflexes while playing wii... that makes me hate wii...lol...i liked it...until old ppl liked it too...lol..at least i gotta xbox 360...(shhhh dont tell old ppl yet...im about to finish my career on nfs: most wanted...)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.