/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Imam: Is it too late?

AntiKarateKid
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey I am currently a freshman in college and have been rediscovering my religion. I find it to be the best thing in my life and have constantly sought out knowledge about it. I was originally intending to become a doctor but I am considering becoming an Imam. How do I do it? What is it like? And is it too late for me to start? I hear that people are trained since childhood to become one.

The only thing I am iffy about is the beard I would have to grow lol:okay:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mohsen1985
01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Since childhood? naaaah. You can start whenever you want. You can even become a doctor and an Imam at the same time. You take 1 step towards Allah, he'll take 10 steps towards you.

You'll have to be fluent in Arabic, take philosophy courses, interpretation, Islamic studies, etc . . .

Don't worry about the beard, you'll get used to it.

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Hey I am currently a freshman in college and have been rediscovering my religion. I find it to be the best thing in my life and have constantly sought out knowledge about it. I was originally intending to become a doctor but I am considering becoming an Imam. How do I do it? What is it like? And is it too late for me to start? I hear that people are trained since childhood to become one.

nah doesnt matter how long u have been learning islam.. as long as u really have love for it... p.s. u shud be a doctor and an imam... that way u earn 'ajr' and $$.. i am gonna be a doctor...been helpin my family since 6th grade and aactually helpin them...i got doctor books and all..too bad i still gots 4 more years of high school...:thumbs_do:thumbs_do

o and the beard makes ppl look much beter than the ppl without a beard..makes them seem...religious...

AnonymousPoster
01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
nah doesnt matter how long u have been learning islam.. as long as u really have love for it... p.s. u shud be a doctor and an imam... that way u earn 'ajr' and $$.. i am gonna be a doctor...been helpin my family since 6th grade and aactually helpin them...i got doctor books and all..too bad i still gots 4 more years of high school...:thumbs_do:thumbs_do

o and the beard makes ppl look much beter than the ppl without a beard..makes them seem...religious...
They are not meant to 'seem' religious, they are meant to try to be religious, not all bearded brothers are religious mind you, not all bearded brothers are Muslim also, who are we to judge the non-bearded brothers over the bearded brothers.

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghira
01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Being an Imam is a Full time job and you are young and at the best age to start your Journey of Becoming an Imam InshaAllah. Trust me it is not too late for you, in fact it is a perfect time. You will have a wonderful job of spreading Islam, the best type of knowledge, and you will be surrounded by the best people. Remember the best people in this world are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it to others...so in fact being an Imam is the best job in terms of racking up good deeds. Sure being a doctor is great but you want to do something YOU LOVE not something your parents think is good for you. Please whatever you choose don't listen to the parents, instead listen to your heart. I made the mistake and am going to graduate school because I went so far to listen to them...my heart still is and always will be in Islamic studies.

What you have to do is complete a degree in Islamic studies (4 years). During that time you learn Arabic, language of Qur'an so it is best advised to study abroad if you are able to. If you are not able to then there are other higher education Islamic studies available in U.S. (if you live there). The University has a programs for you for example memorize 1-2 Juz per year...I can give you more info if you want to PM me.

It is important decision you have to make and if it is something you would love to do then go do it 100%. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
They are not meant to 'seem' religious, they are meant to try to be religious, not all bearded brothers are religious mind you, not all bearded brothers are Muslim also, who are we to judge the non-bearded brothers over the bearded brothers.

:sl:
dang that is soooooooooo tiny...:muddlehea

AnonymousPoster
01-18-2008, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
dang that is soooooooooo tiny...:muddlehea
Apologies. I hope you become an imam and a doctor brother kid.

truemuslim
01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Apologies. I hope you become an imam and a doctor brother kid.
nah its cool....p.s. if u talkin bout me i is a gurl

islamirama
01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
as'salaamu alaikum,

One could become an imaam and a doctor but you have to give it a lot of thought then because both are full time jobs and both require a lot of your time.

In my opinion, i think it would be better if you religious studies in univ rather then doctor and go for imam. Then you can also do masters in religious studies and further study islam.

The added benefit with that is that you can teach at a university on Islam for the religious studies department. We need Muslims teaching about Islam and not some non-Muslims. This way you will inshallah have more time to be at the masjid and be imaam (unlike a doctor whose on call 24/7) and you teach at university, giving good info on islam with lot of dawah opportunities. Also will give you time to interact with the community and non-Muslims in community to build interfaith dialogues and visit prisons to give dawah there as well.

I know a bro who skipped his HS and wen to do Quran hafiz and then went to do Alim course. Now he's back in the states (as an alim) and just did his GED and is doing religious studies in the university to become a professor. He's also getting invitations from various communities to go be an imaam there.

ashley66
01-21-2008, 04:15 AM
If you can be both doctor and imam, MasyaAllah. I sincerely hope that you become both. I've met many doctors male and female who are very religious and very knowledgeable imam and teachers. There can never be enough muslim doctor, and there will never be enough imam. You will do Islam and the ummah great by being both of whichever that you choose.

UmmSqueakster
01-21-2008, 04:00 PM
There are quite a few people who've converted in their 20s and who have gone on to study the deen and become imams and even scholars.

You might be intersted in this article about Imam Suhaib Webb who is currently studying at al Azhar. He made his shahada at age 20, and didn't start to study seriously until after that.

I feel a pull to study the deen formally, and I'm 26 and don't know more than a few words in arabic, but I'm not giving up!

If you'd still like to go to college, try to study arabic while you're there, so when you graduate, you'll be able to get into Islamic studies more easily. Check out distance learning programs and do some of those while you're in school as well, to get the basics down.

Also, you can talk to imams in your area and elsewhere about what kind of training they had, what their life is like, why they chose the path they did, etc. Ask them if they would be willing to mentor you. Maybe one would be willing to teach you as well.

Above all, pray Istikhara and ask Allah (swt) to guide you onto the path that is most beneficial to you.

anonymous
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
:D:D:D:D:D LOLLLLLL

MashaAllah, thats wiked what you wana do, its never too late 4 anything, I say... GO 4 IT!!

As 4 da beard lol, my dads a hafiz, n he found dat hard n al, there was a time wen he had a beard that was SOOO little you could see his skin thru it lol, musta bin wat 1 MM long?? Lol but mashaAllah he has extended it to hmmmmmm but 2cm?? Lol :D. ho says you gotta hav a beard to prove ya rlious to others???? I dont fink so m8.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.