/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Birthdays...In Islam

Omari
01-19-2008, 04:26 PM
:salamext:

May the peace and blessings of Allah (SW) be on all of you.

Birthday Celebration in Islam,

The evidence in the Qur'aan and Hadeeth indicates that the celebration of birthdays [Birthday Parties,] and accepting the invitation of these celebrations are prohibited. It is considered to be bid'ah or innovation in religion.

Allah says in the Quran, Chapter 42, Verse 21:
“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?”

Chapter 45, Verses 18-19:
“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).”

Chapter 7, Verse 3:
“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!”

Prophet Muhammad [Peace be upon him] also warns his followers against following the traditions of those who do no believe.
“You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them."

Inshalah this post was useful.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Omari
01-19-2008, 04:30 PM
It is thought the large-scale celebration of birthdays in Europe began with the cult of Mithras, which originated in Persia but was spread by soldiers throughout the Roman Empire. Such celebrations were uncommon previously so practices from other contexts such as the Saturnalia were adapted for birthdays. Because many Roman soldiers took to Mithraism, it had a wide distribution and influence throughout the empire until it was supplanted by Christianity. The Jewish perspective on birthday celebrations is disputed by various rabbis.

The celebration of birthdays is not universal. Some people prefer name day celebrations, and Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate either, considering their origins to be pagan festivals along with Christmas and Easter. Some adults loathe celebrating it as it reminds them that they are getting progressively older.

Reference here.

truemuslim
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
oh sweet.. jazakallah bro for sharing. reps.

EDIT: dang i cant rep..hold on till the 24 hour thingy is done..kk

sur
01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
we should be rather sad that another year of our life passed away.!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Noora
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately this practice has become the norm in my family and friends and people find it surprising when i dont accept or hold birthday parties for my kids. May allah increase our iman and keep us away from haram...

Roasted Cashew
01-30-2008, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Just to add another perspective to this observation. We should be happy and thankful that God had given me the past year to live my life and I am still alive. Can't we celebrate that?

sur
01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
Just to add another perspective to this observation. We should be happy and thankful that God had given me the past year to live my life and I am still alive. Can't we celebrate that?
it depends!!! whether past year was overall a successful one or riddled with troubles. :)

Gator
01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
OK, this is interesting.

The quotations don't mention birthday parties either directly or indirectly. What is the thinking that these apply to birthday parties?

Gator
01-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Or glad that your closer to heaven.

*Hana*
01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
it depends!!! whether past year was overall a successful one or riddled with troubles. :)
It doesn't matter both success and troubles are given by Allah, swt, for a variety of reasons. (Some only known to Him). So, Alhamdulillah for everything. :statisfie

Wasalam,
Hana

Gator
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
OK did a little research and found the arguments against birthday's and the idea of innovation in religion (such as Shaykh Jalladin Muhammad Salah's, just want to show that I did seriously look into this).

One thing I am still missing is why is a birthday celebration considered an innovation of religion. What is it about a birthday party that makes it a "religious" occasion according to Islam.

Is it the efficiency in Islam argument where nothing can be done unless its totally focused on Allah? In that case, what would make this different from watching a soccer game?

Just trying to figure out the thought process here. Also, is this a widely accepted interpretation?

Thanks.

Roasted Cashew
02-01-2008, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gator
OK did a little research and found the arguments against birthday's and the idea of innovation in religion (such as Shaykh Jalladin Muhammad Salah's, just want to show that I did seriously look into this).

One thing I am still missing is why is a birthday celebration considered an innovation of religion. What is it about a birthday party that makes it a "religious" occasion according to Islam.

Is it the efficiency in Islam argument where nothing can be done unless its totally focused on Allah? In that case, what would make this different from watching a soccer game?

Just trying to figure out the thought process here. Also, is this a widely accepted interpretation?

Thanks.
Your question males sense. Because, if it was celebrating Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, it could be considered innovation but personal Birthday? Though the arguments made by those who claim it as innovation are good too.

جوري
02-01-2008, 04:52 AM

Thanks.
we were blessed with two holidays to celebrate.. and we were asked not to imitate pagan practices..it really comes down to that.. if a soccer game is going to lead you to drinking free mixing, cracking your wine glasses, rioting, and generally objectionable behavior then it too can be proscribed.. but generally I don't see how a soccer game is a 'celebration'? it is a sport and good clean sports are encouraged in Islam!

peace

Gator
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
we were blessed with two holidays to celebrate..
OK, So you really can't celebrate weddings, births, retirements, school graduations, etc. (unless specifically metioned in the Quran)? Bascially any personal celebrations are out.

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
and we were asked not to imitate pagan practices..it really comes down to that..
peace
No one really celebrated birthdays (except for kings and really important people) until the calendar was widely available. There wasn't a religious source just rather people thought it would be nice to mark a person's existence on the day they were born. The birthday thing coming from mithras is sketchy, as its not really part of that religion. From my reading, I guess if the romans were influenced it was probably more of a Persian thing (since their ability to follow the calendar was much more advanced).

Thanks for the responses Hmmm and PA.

PA, the soccer example was an example against the efficiency in religion argument, which you did not state as a reason.

AvarAllahNoor
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I thought because Jews and Christians are followers of the Book, then they are regarded as believers, no? Then why does it say He said, “Who else?” :S

ummsara1108
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
What no bithdays?

Would it make it ok, if we celebrated it in our birth place?

Don't muslims make a point to goto Muhammads birth place, Madina? Isn't it part of Hajj to pay visit to Madina as well as other places like Mecca?

جوري
02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
OK, So you really can't celebrate weddings, births, retirements, school graduations, etc. (unless specifically metioned in the Quran)? Bascially any personal celebrations are out.
celebrations or not aren't mentioned in the Quran, rather the hadith. You may certainly have time to enjoy and unwind Allah's bounty within non-objectionable limits. You may refer to proper rulings, if you are not sure what those are.. but I think they are quite clear!

No one really celebrated birthdays (except for kings and really important people) until the calendar was widely available. There wasn't a religious source just rather people thought it would be nice to mark a person's existence on the day they were born. The birthday thing coming from mithras is sketchy, as its not really part of that religion. From my reading, I guess if the romans were influenced it was probably more of a Persian thing (since their ability to follow the calendar was much more advanced).
There is nothing that says, you can't have a cake and be gateful for your lord's blessings, or can't have a gathering of your friends, it is more the contents of what goes on in a 'celebration' that can be objectionable.. if you are fasting all day and break your fast on a beer and some pork rinds would just be as objectionable as if your new born baby is born, and you cracking your champagne glass.. use proper judgement!

Thanks for the responses Hmmm and PA.

PA, the soccer example was an example against the efficiency in religion argument, which you did not state as a reason.
I don't understand what that means, soccer example was an example.. maybe you can elaborate?

peace

Gator
02-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks, a lot clearer now.

BlackMamba
02-01-2008, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE]
OK, So you really can't celebrate weddings, births, retirements, school graduations, etc.
No you cannot have any other celebrations.It is trangressing the limits.
{...and whoever transgresses the bounds of Allaah, he has wronged his own self}, [Soorah at-Talaaq, Aayah 1]

FatimaAsSideqah
02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
As Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

JazaakAllah Khair for this benefical post! Very important to learning about this!

May Allah Ta'ala pleased with you! Ameen

Allah Hafiz
Sister Fatima

Gator
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Shakoor15;907564]
No you cannot have any other celebrations.It is trangressing the limits.
{...and whoever transgresses the bounds of Allaah, he has wronged his own self}, [Soorah at-Talaaq, Aayah 1]
I may not agree with the stated interpretations of the quotes as they pertain to birthday parties, etc., but I do understand the line of reasoning.

Thanks.

*Marwah
02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
:sl:
i really dont no:? but this is what i heard its not allowed because we only celebrate 2 Eid's...
Jazaka allah khair

krypton6
02-02-2008, 06:31 PM

krypton6
02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Happy Birthday son! Your are now 1 year closer to death, let us celebrate that my son!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.