/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Action Learning

atha
01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
The concept of Action Learning was pioneered by Professor Reg Revans in 1940. It is a form of learning by doing. Wikipedia defines Action Learning as “an educational process whereby the participant studies their own actions and experience in order to improve performance. This is done in conjunction with others, in small groups called action learning sets” (3)

AL is based on the notion that “Learning requires Programmed knowledge (routine knowledge in use) and Questioning insight; L = P + Q.” (1)

As Professor Reg Revans puts it, “People had to be aware of their lack of relevant knowledge and be prepared to explore the area of their ignorance with suitable questions and help from other people in similar positions.” (3)

Today I was reading “The Book of Knowledge” (see reference) and came across a quote by Abdullah bin Masood (mentioned below). This got me thinking. I realized that the basis of Action Learning were provided centuries ago by the religion of Islam.

Allah(God) introduced the notion of asking simple/basic questioning in the Quran by stating:

It is We who have created you, why, then you do not accept the truth? Have you ever considered that [seed] which you emit? Is it you who created it or are We the source of its creation?

We have indeed decreed that death shall be [ever-present] among you: but there is nothing to prevent Us from changing the nature of your existence and bringing you into being [anew] in a manner unknown to you. And, [since] you are indeed aware of the [miracle of your] coming into being in the first instance, why, then, do you not bethink yourself?

Have you ever considered the seed which you cast upon the soil? Is it you who cause it to grow or are We the cause of its growth? [For,] were it Our will, We could indeed turn it into chaff, and you would be left to wonder [and to lament], “Verily, we are ruined! Nay, but we have been deprived [of our livelihood.]”

Have you ever considered the water you drink? Is it you who cause it to come down from the clouds or are We the cause of its coming down? [It comes down sweet-but] were it Our will, We could make it burningly salty and bitter: why, then, do you not give thanks? (Qur’an 56:57-72)

Secondly, Allah mentions in the Quran the etiquettes of asking questions. The correct manner of questioning is by paying more attention to the world, one’s own self and to think anew about things that are taken for granted. (2)

What is amiss with you that you cannot look forward to God’s majesty, seeing that He has created [every one of] you in successive stages? Do you not see how God has created seven heavens in full harmony with one another, and has set up within them the moon as a light [reflected] and set up the sun as a [radiant] lamp? And God has caused you to grow out of the earth in [gradual] growth; and thereafter He will return you to it [in death]: and [then] He will bring you forth [from It] in resurrection. And God has made the earth a wide expanse for you, so that you might walk thereon on spacious paths.(71:13-19)

Thirdly, the knowledge taught in Islam led a scholar of Islam, Abdullah bin Masood[1] to state that learning must lead to action. I will mention the entire hadith here.

Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: “Mu’aawiyah bin’Amr narrated to us, saying Zaaidah narrated to us from Al-A’mash from Tameem bin Salamah from Abu’Ubaydah who reported that ‘Abdullah (bin Mas’ood) said:

“O people, learn! Then whoever learns, must act (upon it).” (4)

These are the basic notions upon which the theory of Action Learning is built. The same theory that was outlined in 1940 was already understood and acted upon by Muslim scholars and students centuries ago.

The problem with the Muslim Ummah is not “what Islam has taught us”, the real problem is “what have we learned from Islam”. The same is the issue with the Western society’s perception of Islam or the corruption that lies in the heart of so called Islamic countries. If people just try learning and educating about Islam on a bigger scale, there will be much peace in this world.

If we are to go beyond seeing each other via preconceived notions, we must learn to communicate effectively with each other. When an Eastern thinks of the West, they see them through their own lens of ideas and beliefs and vice versa. This may create feelings of unrest, dissatisfaction and unrest since our belief systems nowadays seem to be highly influence by the media. I believe that in order to have world peace, there must be a combined effort both by the East and the West to promote awareness about each other cultural values and knowledge systems.

I always tell myself, have faith in people’s goodness. They will see through. And I have ventured to compile this humble note based on this faith. May Allah Subhannah Wa Taalah help me and others see more, Amin.

I must comment that I myself am just a student of Islam as well as other secular and scriptural knowledge. If I made any mistake here, you may correct me inshaAllah. After all, learning is all about communicating effectively.

References:

1-“What’s Action Learning”. URL [http://www.tlainc.com/ifalcwot.htm} Date accessed: Jan-02-07

2-The Journal of Scriptual Learning 5.1, April 2005. “Learning to Ask Questions: the Cases of Abraham and Noah (p) in the Quran” by Umeyye Yazicioglu,
University of Virginia. URL [http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/journa...5_01_e02.html]. Date Accessed [Jan-02-07]

3-Wikipedia. “Action Learning”. URL [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_learning] Date Accessed: Jan-02-07

4-The Book of Knowledge. March, 2006. Imam Abu Khaithama Zuhayr bin Harb An-Nasaaee. Al-Ibaanah Book Publishing, USA.

5-The Quran.

[1] For more information on this scholar of Islam visit http://www.islamawareness.net/Caliph/abm.html

By: Cercatore (Seeker), a.k.a. Arzoo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.