/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Change Name or no??

Yusef_Phillips
01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
:salamext:

I converted to Islam about a year and a half ago:Alhumdill. At the beginning I felt that I wanted to change my name officially, but was advised by worried family members that I would be targeted negatively by government officials, customs officers etc, who may misunderstand my conversion.

At the time I agreed to put it off and think about it later. Now I am planning to get engaged within this year :D and I'd like to have my name finalized before I get married.

Any comments or suggestions. I'm just a bit unsure what to do.:hmm:

Thanks,

Yusef

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
krypton6
01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
It would help alot if we knew your current name, some names you dont need to change.

Yusef_Phillips
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
My name is Craig. No religous affiliation to it.

krypton6
01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Change it if you wish to, I personally dont know if I would. But if you dont like your name and you wish to get an islamic name then change it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yusef_Phillips
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Well what do you mean when you say "I dont know if I would"? Should I be careful about it, or what?

UmmSqueakster
01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
:sl: and welcome to the forum.

What are your motivations for changing your name? Because you want to, or because you feel pressured to as something that you must do islamically?

I didn't change my name for several reasons, despite the fact that I get asked quite often, sister, what's your muslim name. Umm, it's Jennifer, thank you very much.

One reason I didn't change my name is because it isn't required. What was the Prophet's (saws) name before Islam? Khadijas'? The Prophet (saws) would change names that had unislamic (Slave of my father) or bad (Stupid) meanings.

Another reason is that I felt that doing so would dishonor my parents. They chose my name for me, and if I rejected it and took another, they would see it as a reject of them. They did a lot for me, and I wouldn't want to do something that would hurt them.

All that said, changing your name is your own choice. If you want to do it, go for it. If you don't, then don't.

krypton6
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yusef_Phillips
Well what do you mean when you say "I dont know if I would"? Should I be careful about it, or what?
Its just that I dont see why you would want to change your name. Its not like your name has some sort of anti-islamic meaning. But if you decide to change your name, make shure you chose a name that isnt to far away from yourself.

Yusef_Phillips
01-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, my reasons for wanting to change it arent at all due to pressure or anything. I know it isn't necessary. I dont expect any extra baraka from it. It's just been something that has come to my mind periodically.

Maybe it is about identity. I chose Islam and am proud to be associated with it. Changing my name is just a little sign of being muslim.

Being recognized as a muslim within the Ummah is something that feels great, especially to a recent convert. I currently live in India and after growing a beard I noticed muslims approached me saying "Asalamu Aleykum" rather than "Hello, you come from which country?" Allah knows my Iman in him, and thats all that really matters, but it is nice to integrate into the Ummah and I feel taking a name is just a little sign of my decision/desire to live my life according to Islam.

-Yusef

------
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
:salamext:

Maybe it is about identity. I chose Islam and am proud to be associated with it. Changing my name is just a little sign of being muslim.
I think that's kool, go for it :)

Have you chosen any particular name, btw?

Souljette
01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Salamualikum and welcome to the forum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.