/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cooking lessons to be made compulsory in schools (in England)

Muezzin
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Donald MacLeod and agencies
Tuesday January 22, 2008

Compulsory cooking lessons for teenagers at schools in England are on the menu today as the government seeks to counter childhood obesity.
But headteachers have complained that ministers are once again trying to cram more ingredients into the curriculum pot, and warned that the equipment and trained staff were no longer available.

Ed Balls, the schools secretary, is asking the public to come up with ideas for the classic English dishes and international cuisine that children should learn to cook.

From this September, every 11 to 14-year-old in the 85% of schools currently offering food technology classes will be taught practical cookery.

The remaining 15% of secondaries will be expected to teach the compulsory classes by 2011.

The emphasis will be on making sure pupils can master simple, healthy recipes using fresh ingredients, the Department for Children, Schools and Families said.

John Dunford, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said: "Just six months ago, ministers promised heads greater flexibility in the curriculum for 11 to 14-year-olds. More decisions about what to teach would be made at school level, they said.

"Now they have fallen at the first fence, creating another entitlement and more compulsion for this age group. As many of us said at the time, the government should never have downgraded practical cookery 20 years ago, substituting - for example - 'design a picnic' for the skills of making picnic food."

Dunford added: "In the intervening years, schools have been built or refurbished without practical cookery rooms. It will be impossible for about 15% schools to put practical cookery on the timetable until they have the proper facilities. There is also a shortage of cookery teachers, who will take time to recruit."

Balls wants members of the public to suggest healthy, easy to prepare dishes that teenagers will want to eat.

He told the Daily Mirror: "Teaching kids to cook healthy meals is an important way schools can help produce healthy adults. My mum was passionate about all this and bought me my first Delia Smith book."

Pupils will learn to cook a variety of dishes, including a "top 8", officials said.

The Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) welcomed the principle of introducing cookery lessons for 11 to 14-year-olds, but expressed concerns about the impact on the curriculum, the funding required and the training needed for staff.

PAT general secretary, Philip Parkin, said: "Children should be taught how to cook and about the importance of a balanced and nutritious diet. These are key life skills.

"However, the government needs to plan and fund this very carefully to make sure that the scheme is a recipe for success and not a half-baked idea that ends up being binned.

Parkin added: "There are practical concerns about what will happen if children fail to bring in the necessary ingredients. It might be more sensible for schools to purchase the ingredients more cheaply in bulk and charge the costs for each child to parents, with the government meeting the costs of those on low incomes, rather than having an unwieldy system of parents buying small amounts to send in, with some being subsidised."

Cookery is currently compulsory in primary schools and the government began an overhaul of school dinners three years ago after TV chef Jamie Oliver campaigned against the poor quality ingredients being served in canteens.

Source

Looks like little boys will have to man up and possibly learn how to cook a chapatti. They could use my little learning mantra - 'rolling pins aren't just for hitting burglars'.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
:salamext:

I don't think it's a good idea lol. I personally hate cooking. :-\ And if I had a choice, I wouldn't want my daughter to go through what she hates.Not that I have a daughter...future one Inshaa Allaah :D

sabah
01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
:sl:

well i took cooking at school and it didnt do me any good :embarrass, my cheese pastys could have been used as door stoppers lol.

:w:

Trumble
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't mind if the result of this was a significant improvement in the nation's culinary skills. However, in practice I suspect the kids will be able to get an 'A' if they end up being able to cook beans on toast without either burning the toast or slicing themselves with the can lid.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
I have often wondered why they put corn on everything in England? I honestly couldn't even get pizza without corn.. I have seen some pretty odd dishes in my day.. even odd delicatessens like 'balut' a fertalized chicken egg which is eaten half egg, half chick.. well actually come to think of it nothing tops that in gross..
but yeah why the corn?

Malaikah
01-25-2008, 01:57 AM
:sl:

I wonder how this will effect Muslim children in public schools, if they have to cook with meat that isn't halal? :?

amirah_87
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Wa 'alaykum as salaam,

^ When I was back at school we used to bring in our own ingredients. Not all schools do that though; Like the one where I work, the school provides everything and they make sure all meat is halal. So alhamdulillaah I've never known it to be a problem.

I think it's a good thing they're making Food Technology compulsory (only if they cut down on some of the written work.. that's so unnecessary! :exhausted ).

ranma1/2
01-30-2008, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I have often wondered why they put corn on everything in England? I honestly couldn't even get pizza without corn.. I have seen some pretty odd dishes in my day.. even odd delicatessens like 'balut' a fertalized chicken egg which is eaten half egg, half chick.. well actually come to think of it nothing tops that in gross..
but yeah why the corn?
wow maybe thats were japan gets it.

here they put corn, potatoes, mayo and egg on almost everythign in japan, especially pizza.

thirdwatch512
01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I think it should be required! I mean after all, go to your friends homes these days and see what they cooked.. It seems like people now days cook boxed lasagna and microwave hot dogs!

It is time to get some good, low fat dishes taught to these children so they can use these recipes in the future lol

I wish America was doing as much as UK to fight obesity. I mean it is just getting terrible in some places here, especially in like the rural areas.

جوري
01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
wow maybe thats were japan gets it.

here they put corn, potatoes, mayo and egg on almost everythign in japan, especially pizza.
At least they make up for the corn with great Anime.. in England, there was no such compensation... I was glad I left when I did.. Good place to visit but no more than two weeks really. I'd take Japan over England any day.

Noora
01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I think this is a great idea..after all we need to learn how to cook eventually for ourselves in the "real world'. In addition to cooking classes the need to stop selling junk food at the canteens/cafeterias in schools if schools wnat to fight childhood obesity. if helathy foods are offered kids are more likely to buy them however most canteens/cafterias offer hot chips and fried foods and ofcourse most will choose the the chips. I know some schools are making these changes but we have a long way to go yet.

qassy!
02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
its a great idea, instead of teens going to fast food restaurants maybe they will start cooking up something healthy for a change

true believer
02-17-2008, 02:17 PM
do u have to do it as a subject or a course?

Ali.
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Well I think it's an OK idea, I personally wouldn't like it though - I hate cooking. Once I got a detention just for burning pasta...it wasn't burnt though! :grumbling

This would also be horrible for Muslims doing it in Ramadan.

Cabdullahi
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Cooking is coool i love it im always learning but most of what i cook end up in the bin

Noora
02-17-2008, 06:52 PM
helloimali...it wouldnt be horrible for muslims in ramadan....i mean we have to cook to break our fast..its a test of strengh....

Muezzin
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Noora
helloimali...it wouldnt be horrible for muslims in ramadan....i mean we have to cook to break our fast..its a test of strengh....
Especially if you're making rock cake.

...What? They can't all be funny.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
what?! i thought it already was compulsary.

you mean a had a choice to NOT learn this at school?!?!

true believer
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
lol before yh
but they changed it now

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.