/* */

PDA

View Full Version : med schools in the states..please help

noahs_arc
01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
asalam alaykum

I'm in the UK and our system is quite differnt.
Is there anyone here who can inshallah help me?

i am looking to go to med school in the states. but i have no idea which one to go to. in the UK we have league tables showing the schools and there results. do you have that in the states?

can some one post me some good relevant links?

i'll probably have plenty more questions but we see how it goes jazakalahaar.

wasalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jayda
01-23-2008, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noahs_arc
asalam alaykum

i am looking to go to med school in the states. but i have no idea which one to go to. in the UK we have league tables showing the schools and there results. do you have that in the states?

wasalam

hola noahs_arc,

us news and world report annually ranks graduate schools in the united states, it is looked upon as authoritative. please look at this link:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ndex_brief.php

i attended Columbia university (number 10) shortly after college, as that was the university i attended. i was pregnant at the time and knew i could not meet the demands so i withdrew after two weeks to concentrate on my pregnancy. i would highly recommend the school, and i do not say that just as an alumna of the university.

it is very accomodating to women and minorities, like all the ivy schools they have some of the top researchers in the world, however unlike the other ivy schools you really get to know your professors and they consider themselves teachers before researchers. they will provide you with wonderful opportunities once you leave as well... i could tell from my brief period in the college of physicians and surgeons that the medical school carried that tradition over.

new york is also a very wonderful city to live in, if you consider columbia or other schools in new york please let me know, i can give you some information about affordable and safe places for students to live.

good luck in your search and in medical school, it is a very noble profession and i hope you are greatly satisfied and bring hope to many people :)

que Dios te bendiga

جوري
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
asalam alaykum

wasalam

:sl:
it would be easier to Go to med school in England then take the USMLE and come do a residency here.
You'll have to have an under-grad in the US and take the MCAT to be admitted to medical school, seldom are people taken otherwise, there are only two programs that take people straight one shot like they do in England; the sophie Davis program is one of them...
I don't know all the laws from state to state, but some actually require that you be a U.S citizen to be admitted, so it is best to check in advance insha'Allah..

I wish you success on your endeavors
:w:

noahs_arc
01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
:sl:
it would be easier to Go to med school in England then take the USMLE and come do a residency here.
You'll have to have an under-grad in the US and take the MCAT to be admitted to medical school, seldom are people taken otherwise, there are only two programs that take people straight one shot like they do in England; the sophie Davis program is one of them...
I don't know all the laws from state to state, but some actually require that you be a U.S citizen to be admitted, so it is best to check in advance insha'Allah..

I wish you success on your endeavors
:w:
jazakallah for your responses

inshallah i aim to graduate with a BSc in Biochemistry. would i still have to do an undergrad degree in the U.S? WASALAAM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jayda
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM

inshallah i aim to graduate with a BSc in Biochemistry. would i still have to do an undergrad degree in the U.S? WASALAAM
hola noahs_arc

there is no requirement (that i am aware of) to have an undergraduate degree from a US school, for any of the medical schools to which i applied, MCAT is required but it is not difficult and there are many preps available (unlike LSAT or SAT you can study for parts of the MCAT that test your general knowledge of science). there is a really good book called "Barron's MCAT" or something to that effect, it helped a lot. i do not know how you might go about taking an MCAT outside of the united states but i can check for you.

que Dios te bendiga

noahs_arc
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
thanks ^ but i have been reading the UCLA website and it says it does not accept people with graduate degrees =/

Jayda
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
thanks ^ but i have been reading the UCLA website and it says it does not accept people with graduate degrees =/
hola,

perhaps i misunderstand british abbreviations but a bsc would not be a graduate degree... it is a bachelor's in science is it not? graduate degrees are doctorates: Ph Ds, MDs, DOs, JDs and the like... have you emailed anyone in admissions to ask them? ultimately that is probably the best idea because each school would have nuances in their admissions you would need to acquaint yourself with anyway.

PA is correct though, for any US medical school you will need to take MCATs...

que Dios te bendiga

noahs_arc
01-24-2008, 02:49 PM
oops silly me. yeh i have emailed UCLA admissions and they sent me an auto message saying it will take a few days for a personal reply.

Jayda
01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
goodness! a few days seems a bit high... it might not be a bad idea to contact several others while you are waiting... which other american schools interest you?

noahs_arc
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
according to wikipedia an undergraduate in the u.k who has graduated is a graduate but in the states a graduate is one who has completed a doctrate. so we were both right lol

well at the moment i've seen just UCLA.

if i have an undergrad degree from another country it means i have to do 60-90 credits is this before the 4 years of med? thanks for all your help

جوري
01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

No, you wouldn't. I'd strongly suggest that you complete it though.. I have known a couple of individuals who tried to swing by without it and are paying the price now.. sometimes you might not even notice a problem during residency but when it comes time to licensure, many states require an under-grad. I'd recommend that you interview people who have gone through the actual process or are counselors in the field than guess from random people on a forum who might not have your best interest at heart.

Also you might want to try usmleforum/usmleworld blogs where you'll meet with your peers and people who have gone through the actual process so you can get sound advise..

waslaam 3lykoum wr wb

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.