/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity in America

syed saboor
01-26-2008, 09:33 AM
What I find quite disconcerting is how ignorant the average American is about everyday news items and world events. It seems most Americans are either preoccupied with Football or Ann Nicole Smith, but not about serious political issues. Your average American has not the slightest bit of information about the rest of the world, and nor do they want to know about the rest of the world. You ask them to find a country on the map and they cannot even do that. Why are Americans so ignorant? This is a baffling question, but it needs careful methodical analysis.
Americans simply don't want to know about the rest of the world. They have a keen analysis of beer, their trash women, and baseball, but they pay the least attention to history or culture. Of course, the government in this country is quite content with that. Celebrated leftist writer Noam Chomsky made an interesting point in his book, "Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda," that it is in the best interest of the government that the public is distracted on the super bowl or television sitcoms. That way, they think about nothing else. Any comments.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
01-26-2008, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed saboor
What I find quite disconcerting is how ignorant the average American is about everyday news items and world events. It seems most Americans are either preoccupied with Football or Ann Nicole Smith, but not about serious political issues. Your average American has not the slightest bit of information about the rest of the world, and nor do they want to know about the rest of the world. You ask them to find a country on the map and they cannot even do that. Why are Americans so ignorant? This is a baffling question, but it needs careful methodical analysis.
Americans simply don't want to know about the rest of the world. They have a keen analysis of beer, their trash women, and baseball, but they pay the least attention to history or culture. Of course, the government in this country is quite content with that. Celebrated leftist writer Noam Chomsky made an interesting point in his book, "Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda," that it is in the best interest of the government that the public is distracted on the super bowl or television sitcoms. That way, they think about nothing else. Any comments.
:sl:
I don't think that all Americans are stupid, but I do agree that most modern TV dulls people and makes them dumb. But you can't blame the TV producers for this, who cares about intellectuals when there is money to be made! :skeleton:
:w:

wilberhum
01-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I think if you live in America, you should leave.

That would be a great boost to the intelligence level. ;D

snakelegs
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
if you weren't the same poster who wrote
I will answer Christianity in a few words: Jewish concoction. A religion fused in the mind of corrupt Jews with the intent and purpose of destroying civilization.
i might address this issue.
as it is, i think "no comment" will do it. ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Snake,
I think you just proved the accuracy of my post. :giggling::giggling::giggling:

snakelegs
01-26-2008, 08:00 PM
it really made my day!

wilberhum
01-26-2008, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
it really made my day!

Well then take this.

snakelegs
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
aw phooey
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /graphics/b/snake4.gif on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.39 Server at harrythecat.com Port 80"

Omari
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm not gonna bother...
Bro, even I don't think that way about Americans...and I'm Afghan.
:|

Peace

Anwarica
01-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Months ago, I watched this shocking video named:
Americans are NOT stupid
I don't know that announcer, but if that show was true then it's incredible .. I can't believe that people didn't think the USA starts with letter "U" :D .. & some who thought Israel state religion is Islam :eek::eek:

Roasted Cashew
01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I would only say one thing. People who believe everything they see and listen on Fox News are dumb and idiots. So can be said of all the other Zionist controlled mainstream media. A little research and a different perspective won't hurt anyone. Blindly following and agreeing with everything mentioned in the media is bound to lead to increase in Stupidity and it doesn't matter where you Live. Be it in America or in the middle east. But of course I agree with you. I think it's more evident in America maybe because I don't get to see middle east news channels and I don't understand Arabic.

AvarAllahNoor
01-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I know americans, but they don't seem 'dumb' just perhaps a tad ignorant to the world stage. And perhaps, a little too patriotic for my liking. (Which can cloud your judgment sometimes)

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Quite the opinion you have on the American people, brother. I can't stand the American Government and their foreign policy, but that is completely separate from how I feel about the American People. While I agree that American's are known, and therefore stereotyped, for not knowing what's going on outside their own borders, it certainly doesn't apply to all Americans. And, it definitely doesn't mean the ones that are not up on present news are too focused on beer and celebrities. And definitely doesn't mean their women are trash!!! This is a really horrible thing to say.

Maybe they just don't give a darn anymore? Maybe they're sick and tired of the constant violence and bombings from people/groups/organizations, etc. that behave like savages? Maybe they're sick of seeing what their government is doing with no means to stop it? Maybe they're disgusted by the treatment of innocent people being held in American "holding camps". There could be a million reasons why some Americans just don't care anymore. But to say what you did is no better than those that group all Muslims under the banner of terrorists, because of the actions of a few.

I can honestly tell you that I am sick and tired of the constant fighting and people trying to justify despicable behaviour, (like what happened in Karachi when Bhutto was assassinated), so I avoid the news 99% of the time. When I watch it's because someone suggests I watch something. And believe me, it's not because I am too focused on sports, booze, being trashy or celebrities!! I am simply SICK of it!!

So, please, everybody just STOP with the bloody stereotyping and look at the real issues and facts. :heated:

Hana

IbnAbdulHakim
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM
bro that stupidity is everywhere. Its the shaytaans way of lulling the masses away from whats important

chosen
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
American Stupidity...very nice title..and YES I am being sarcastic....Planes fly both ways...dont let the metal detector slam you in the asz.......insulting an entire country just because you are frustrated about an issue...how dare you!!!!

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
^^^ hehe actually he is insulting an entire country...but its for real reasons... ll 'there trash women' hehe made me laugh... and also they dont care bout any other country, in 'world history' class they talk about the world alright...only one part tho...AMERICA and yes they is just ignorant and all..

nobody write a post yelling at this post..kk

MartyrX
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
What a nice stereotype thought process you've got there.

Keltoi
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
"they is just ignorant"....

MartyrX
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
^^^ hehe actually he is insulting an entire country...but its for real reasons... ll 'there trash women' hehe made me laugh... and also they dont care bout any other country, in 'world history' class they talk about the world alright...only one part tho...AMERICA and yes they is just ignorant and all..

Not everyone in the U.S is like that. I bet I could go over to any country and find the same ignorance if I looked hard enough.

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
Not everyone in the U.S is like that. I bet I could go over to any country and find the same ignorance if I looked hard enough.

yeah not only america is like that...thats true...but big countries other than the states arent that ignorant...

have u noticed only the rich countries show off and become ignorant.. anyway..lets continue

chosen
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
ignorance is all over the world..ignorance is also relative...closed minded people unwilling to even look at another point of view because they are so sure they are correct make up the vast majority of ignorant people in the world.....so before you say you are 100% sure of anything..make sure to look in the mirror and ask yourself if it is not you that is the ignorant one?????

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Salam Alaikum:

My Dear Sister:

I have spent a good amount of time in Egypt when I was a Christian. Would you like me to list what I saw MANY "pious" Brothers and Sisters doing in that country? How about the view "there are NO homosexuals in Egypt" or being from Canada I was asked, "Is it true you all live underground in winter because it's too cold to surface?". ^o) Trash and ignorance, my Dear, is found in every country, within every religion, within every culture and colour. It is OUR duty to learn, it is NOT our duty to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. Just as we protest being put under the same category as the terrorists that call themselves Muslims, so will they protest the stereotype being presented here.

Wasalam,
Hana

AvarAllahNoor
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hana_Aku
"Is it true you all live underground in winter because it's too cold to surface
:haha:

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
:haha:
lol are you getting the visual of that? Making little ice holes to poke our heads up to see if it's spring yet....like a groundhog. :giggling:

AvarAllahNoor
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
lol are you getting the visual of that? Making little ice holes to poke our heads up to see if it's spring yet....like a groundhog. :giggling:
Ignorance eh. Pictured a meerkat...

MartyrX
01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
HAHA!! That's about as bad as when I went to New Orleans some people were asking me if I grew potatoes in Iowa and if we ran around in overalls with no shoes.

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
HAHA!! That's about as bad as when I went to New Orleans some people were asking me if I grew potatoes in Iowa and if we ran around in overalls with no shoes.
lol The hardest part was trying to keep a straight face because these people are so sincere in most cases. Oh, I've had the funniest questions asked of me and I really wish I would have kept a list of them. Some were absolutely priceless.

Hana

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Ignorance eh. Pictured a meerkat...
LOL yeah, that's about the look I'm visualizing. haha

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
lol some people ask really dumb questions like in yemen they were asking me an my brothers 'If you were in america RIGHT now what would you be doing?' and in yemen when they ask us that i dont think they relize it would be night..so i say 'sleeping' and they say ok what about now..and im like omg are you kidding me then they say what did u just say? and im like oh i said right now i would be ..uhh..eating..and they wait a while then ask me what about now and i just start making things up cuz they get really annoying then..lol..they still make me laugh..and then when i laugh they say what are you laughin at so i say i remmebered an american joke and then i say a random joke to them..lol..

anyway sorry to get off topic...

now we all relize all countries got a bit of ignorance...not just the states.. i kno u must just be ticked off at things like war and all and u say only america gots ignorance..now lets calm down..kk

ummsara1108
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM

I do agree but we can't totaly blame the average american, it is the news media that only reports what it wants too. The ignorance is that they choose to keep there eyes/ears/mouths closed. Speak up people this is America isn't it?

UmmSqueakster
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
bro that stupidity is everywhere. Its the shaytaans way of lulling the masses away from whats important
Exactly! Every country has their fascinations with their local sports (witness africa cup mania currently gripping many africans), local celebrities, and a certain amount of ineptitude on the subject of world affairs.

I think the better question to ask is "why are people everywhere so preoccupied with the dunya?" Ah, it's an age old question.

UmmSqueakster
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Have you taken a representative survey to back up your findings? Any proof that world history classes only study america? Cuz I know that my AMERICAN history class focused on america, but in my world history classes, we studied, um, other countries.

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Have you taken a representative survey to back up your findings? Any proof that world history classes only study america? Cuz I know that my AMERICAN history class focused on america, but in my world history classes, we studied, um, other countries.

ok come to my school and enjoy ur stay u'll find that out..kk..lol:D :w:

UmmSqueakster
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
ok come to my school and enjoy ur stay u'll find that out..kk..lol:D :w:

See, this is a pet peeve of mine - people take their own experiences and extrapolate them out to the society as a whole. It would be better for you to say that "your experiences" with world history are this, rather than to imply that this is how all americans learn about world history. It makes for a much sounder argument.

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM

See, this is a pet peeve of mine - people take their own experiences and extrapolate them out to the society as a whole. It would be better for you to say that "your experiences" with world history are this, rather than to imply that this is how all americans learn about world history. It makes for a much sounder argument.

ok lets just ignore that kk i dunt wanna get into a fight wit a sista or brother here i gotta rep u kno..lol :statisfie :coolalien :w:

UmmSqueakster
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
ok lets just ignore that kk i dunt wanna get into a fight wit a sista or brother here i gotta rep u kno..lol :statisfie :coolalien :w:

LOL, not fighting, just trying to give some advice on how to improve in your debating :coolious:

I know this is an issue I'm working with my husband on. He tends to make absolutist statements about whatever subject we're talking about, which prompts me to go and find a few instances where he's wrong, thus destroying his argument :D He's learning to choose his words more carefully if he wants to win against me in a debate, ha.

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 07:41 PM

LOL, not fighting, just trying to give some advice on how to improve in your debating :coolious:

I know this is an issue I'm working with my husband on. He tends to make absolutist statements about whatever subject we're talking about, which prompts me to go and find a few instances where he's wrong, thus destroying his argument :D He's learning to choose his words more carefully if he wants to win against me in a debate, ha.

lol sis./..

i didnt know this thread was a debate...

IM OUT dunt wanna be part of any :threadclo debates..lol

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I wish they would remove the "thread closed" stamp from the members options. It's confusing. :mmokay:

truemuslim
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
^^ heha it was supposed to scare u HAHA ..my own post confused me..lol

*Hana*
01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
^^ heha it was supposed to scare u HAHA ..my own post confused me..lol
lol yeah, it's happened a few times to me when I went to make a post and thought the thread was closed.

Hana

Muezzin
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
...Why is this thread still open?

Please try not to base an entire thread on a generalisation. Unless it's 'All apples are crunchy, agree or I'll throw one at your head'. As that would be pretty funny.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.