/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of Seeking knowledge for other than Allah(SWT)

InToTheRain
01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
:sl:

[PIE]Abu Hurayrah (RA) said, the Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) said, "Whoever seeks knowledge (which should only be sought only for the sake of Allah (SWT)) but seeks it purely for some worldly gain, he will not smell the fragrance of Paradise on the Day of Resurrection". It was reported by Abu Dawud and Ibn Maajah, by Ibn Hibban in his Saheeh and by Hakim who said, "It is saheeh according to the conditions of Bukhaari and Muslim".

Jaabir said, The Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)said, "Do not seek knowledge in order to compete with the knowledgeable, or to win arguments with the ignorant, or to show off in gatherings. Whoever does any of that will be in Hell." It was reported by Ibn Maajah (ra), by Ibn Hibban in his Saheeh and Bayhaqi.

Ibn 'Umar (RA) said that the Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)said, "Whoever seeks knowledge for a reason other than for the sake of Allah (SWT), then let him take his place in Hell." It was reported by Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah from Ibn 'Umar via Khaalid ibn Durayk who did not hear it directly from him; the men in their isnaads are thiqaah." (at-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb by al-Mundhiri)[/PIE]

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Thabit
02-02-2008, 02:47 AM
W'Salam

may Allah fix our intentions

Jazaka Allahu khayr

Ebtisweetsam
02-02-2008, 06:51 AM
I got chills just reading that...

------
02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
:salamext:

One problem with having too much knowledge is that you start to question more, which is dangerous in my opinion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rabarbara2008
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
this is a truly great hadith!

the words under your posts are not bad as well!

InToTheRain
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Theology does not challenge the experiential faith but the intellectual understanding of it. Experience of faith and expression of faith are distinct yet bound in a way that is often lost in discursive theology. Language cannot express the reality of faith, but it can explain what one believes and why. This is, of course, the central purpose of theology. However, it is also a mental activity by nature and often involves paradoxes, in which seemingly insoluble problem, such as free will and predestination, are dialectically entertained in the mind of the theologian, who then attempts to reconcile them, using sacred scripture and intellect- a combination made volatile and dangerous in the absence of devout piety that would otherwise illuminate both the effort and the outcome.

The true theologian like Abu Hamid al-Ghazzali (505/1111), is the one who experience content of his theology. The experience more, over cannot be reduced to the intellectual because it is essentially rooted in a spiritual witnessing of reality: say, "This is my way; I invite to God with inner vision; and whoever follows me. And glory be to God, i am not a polytheist."(Qur'an 12:108)
Imam Ghazzali also once said that he is so deep rooted in Kalam (theology) that he fears he will never come out of it and I wouldn't advice anyone to read his books unless their foundation is strong.

I pray Allah Azzawajal gives you understanding and makes you content. It's not about how much you know, but your understanding of what you know that is important. For example the Sahabah ibn Masud(RA), although he didn't know as many Hadiths as say Bukhari(RA) was a far stronger person due to his understanding of the what he knew. Ibn Masud(RA)'s understanding of one Hadith, him living that hadith and experiencing it's reality whilst with Mohammad(SAW) raised his Imaan to a level which cannot be expressed in words or be understood by the number of Hadiths one knows... a level greater then any Tab'in or those after the Sahabas. So it's not about how much you know, it's about your understanding of what you know.

There are Brothers and sisters out there, that have their hairs stand on the back of their necks and profusely weep tears upon hearing certain verses of the Qur'an or being reminded of Akhira. They may not be intellectually superior in talk, literature or how much they know (quantity) but their understanding of what they know, their imaan, is enviable...

Barak Allah Fik brothers and sisters

:w: Wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

InToTheRain
02-02-2008, 12:37 PM
“The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

That is to say, sinners are not bestowed with knowledge and knowledge is something which brings one closer to Allah Azzawajal. Otherwise it is useless and remains as information. Therefore rebels (sinners) do not get the light of Allahazzawajal.

Multimedia section is not working :/ so I have posted the Nasheed here regarding this, it is NICE! Mash'Allah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plB_0...eature=related

InToTheRain
10-13-2014, 02:39 PM
phooohhh *blowing dust off*

greenhill
10-13-2014, 04:09 PM
It is really hard to truly do it with understanding. I still don't know how to... how to do it? be it? Appreciate it? How would we turn what we naturally do on a daily basis into for Allah? Everyday I leave the house with
"bismillahi tawakaltu alallahi la hawlawala quwata ila bilah."
Which roughly means that I am leaving my fate in His Hands, that I'm powerless without His will.

Still I find it hard to incorporate that intention with my daily routine. Making it fit like a hand in glove, so to speak.

Thanks for the :bump1:

Peace :shade:

Samiun
10-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Jazkallahkhaira for the bump. Great reminder

InToTheRain
10-14-2014, 06:14 PM
:salam:

I can't edit my posts above (maybe coz they're 8 years old!). I wanted to correct to 2 things.

1) Imam Ghazali(RA) is a renowned scholar and undoubtedly a Mujadid who was nicknamed Hujjat Al Islam ("Proof of Islam"). Although he claimed that he almost drowned in Qalam this very statement actually absolved him of doing so because he realized his problem and overcame it. People who really do drown in Qalam usually fail to see their problems. Infact when he realized knowledge has no meaning as it did not give him the serenity he desired after reaching the apex of scholarship in the most renowned schools of knowledge, which were in Baghdad at the time, he secluded himself. After 10 years or so of seclusion, away from all the pomp and glory he was accustomed to, he came back as a Saint and wrote some of the best books of knowledge and one of the series I recommend everyone is the "ihya ulumuddin" series. The book was so well received by Islamic scholars such as Imam Nawawi(RA) who stated that: "Were the books of Islam all to be lost, excepting only the Ihya', it would suffice to replace them all!

So when he emphasized practice of what he knew he started attaining closeness with Allah Most High.

2) It was incorrect of me to say "rebellion" is sinning because it could also mean someone is conforming to Islam and keeping within Halal but not always choosing the action which they know will please Allah Most High more thereby giving preference more to pleasing oneself over Allah Most High without sinning. This is in reference to what Waki`(RA) said to Imam Shafi(RA).

crimsontide06
01-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Question; what if I am seeking it for more than just that BUT the sake for Allah is #1?

1. for Allah because he created me & everything else, for Allah to be pleased & admit me to paradise

2. for myself ^^ as stated above, so I can be in paradise

3. for others such as family/friends so they can benefit & themselves start to worship Allah, since obviously I would want them to be granted paradise too, ..etc but also, that bringing them to that will get me a reward...from Allah.

I honestly do not care about worldy praise..etc. I don't like praise...because everything is for & from God.

new2010
01-11-2015, 08:46 PM
I don't want to push to the front with my question and overwrite the query of brother "crimsontide06".

However, may we keep knowledge for us, when we've doubts about our intention? Just to not fell into Riya. Even if, I think one who gets Riya, by sharing knowledge is not genuinely wise and knowledgeable. Besides, will we get reward when being quiet in cases of dawah, when you not like to talk much because you fear the danger spread something wrong, though you know, that what you want to share is actually correct because it doesn't come out of your own mind, you heard it from a lesson. Although here starts another problem, do you really have gained knowledge when you haven't get this knowledge from a schoolar who can check if you understood facts correctly?

This is hard stuff, there are so many ways to go to hell. May Allah prevent me and you.

confused43
01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
try this in every religion, you are made in your god's image, you are given a life's path to do with what you chose, but know that some paths will lead you closer to your god and some will lead you, further from your god , and with every religion you will not be excepted into heaven or paradise if you do not do as your god wants, everything sounds incredibly similar to me all except where does it say in any religion, your allowed to take hostages shoot innocent people. and kill people for freedom of expression that is like, i may not understand the fight and the need that you have but i do worry about the world we live in today , what are the islams killing people for and can't this be stopped somehow, i don't want to be killed someday because i do not understand your religion , i joined this forum to get insight and try to not be so stupid to the world issues but it really scares me more really

h-n
01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by confused43
try this in every religion, you are made in your god's image, you are given a life's path to do with what you chose, but know that some paths will lead you closer to your god and some will lead you, further from your god , and with every religion you will not be excepted into heaven or paradise if you do not do as your god wants, everything sounds incredibly similar to me all except where does it say in any religion, your allowed to take hostages shoot innocent people. and kill people for freedom of expression that is like, i may not understand the fight and the need that you have but i do worry about the world we live in today , what are the islams killing people for and can't this be stopped somehow, i don't want to be killed someday because i do not understand your religion , i joined this forum to get insight and try to not be so stupid to the world issues but it really scares me more really

The issue of is of what is your starting point-it is the sayings and ways of evil doers. They are actually dictating what they wish to live by and if people don't accept it, they wish to treat them as if they are in the wrong, ie homosexuality, people are now being conditioned to believe that this is OK, that having sex outside of marriage is OK. So treating people badly (even if they agreed it to, people are having sex, dumping, finding someone else, dumping them-no value or respect attached to people). To go up people's back sides is not respecting people.

So as above whilst they do no respect people, they tell us to respect them. They are basically telling us to respect their evil!

Now going back to the issue of people being killed, dying, we as Muslims are not treating those people who were killed in Paris no differently to anyone who was brought up as a Muslim. Here is a scenario;-

I am going to draw a cartoon of my neighbours' mother, and stick it in front of my house, perhaps put mud on it, now when I see my neighbour, I am going to tell them;-

-you need to respect and tolerate me, I am an innocent individual, just enjoying myself.
-You need to get along with me OK, because neighbour, if you don't agree with me, then there is something wrong with you.
-I think that you need to go and live somewhere else, if you not willing to accept that I can draw what I like.

In the past people didn't rely on government to tell them about how to treat people with tolerance and respect. Now just because the government is saying you can do what you like-does that mean that you can bleat about it, that you feel your government is going to have to protect you?? It is the fact that people disrespect people more, by the attitude they can do whatever they like and no one can say anything to them, so even if someone mentions something, they say who the hell are you, but at the same time wishing to get people to accept their evil.

So as above, you use the word "innocent" to describe those people-how are they innocent??? There are plenty of stories in the Muslim world of ie a Muslim robbing and dying in the process, people being abusive and dying-no one cares how they died it is the fact that they have died. They have zero sympathy.

If you wish to use the word innocent, then tell the Muslims that you believe that they are good people who have lived a righteous life and you believe that they are going to Heaven?? Of course as Muslims we are upset when people are attacked ie Christian pensioners getting attacked etc. But to go outright and say that we should fight for abusive cartoon makers=why the hell would I want to protect people who wish to be abusive?? I am responsible for what I stand for on the Day of Judgement, protecting people who disrespect the Prophet, isn't one of them, that's no difference in supporting Pharoah being abusive to people.

Of course this thread is getting derailed-so please place comments on Paris shooting thread, if you choose to reply.

confused43
01-12-2015, 09:09 AM
your right i did go off topic i am just trying to figure out what is really going on in the world around me and no i do not think you should not fight for what you believe in but i don't think that we have the right to chose when someone should die that is like you say something that should happen on judgement day and, that does not mean that i believe that the cartoonist, should ever of been able to print anything like they did, but what was done to justify it was no better than the act itself, because i had no idea it happened i could of been a bystander and died for something i knew nothing of nor could i of changed somebody else's wrong doing

فصيح الياسين
01-12-2015, 09:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain

[PIE]Abu Hurayrah (RA) said, the Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) said, "Whoever seeks knowledge (which should only be sought only for the sake of Allah (SWT)) but seeks it purely for some worldly gain, he will not smell the fragrance of Paradise on the Day of Resurrection". It was reported by Abu Dawud and Ibn Maajah, by Ibn Hibban in his Saheeh and by Hakim who said, "It is saheeh according to the conditions of Bukhaari and Muslim".

Jaabir said, The Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)said, "Do not seek knowledge in order to compete with the knowledgeable, or to win arguments with the ignorant, or to show off in gatherings. Whoever does any of that will be in Hell." It was reported by Ibn Maajah (ra), by Ibn Hibban in his Saheeh and Bayhaqi.

Ibn 'Umar (RA) said that the Messenger of Allah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)said, "Whoever seeks knowledge for a reason other than for the sake of Allah (SWT), then let him take his place in Hell." It was reported by Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah from Ibn 'Umar via Khaalid ibn Durayk who did not hear it directly from him; the men in their isnaads are thiqaah." (at-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb by al-Mundhiri)[/PIE]

In arabic its
عن ابي هريرة قال من تعلم علما مما يبتغى به وجه الله لايتعلمه الا ليصيبه به عرضا من الدنيا. لميجد عرف الجنة يوم القيامة
رواه ابو داود

czgibson
01-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Greetings,

This kind of thinking confuses me.

Imagine a research scientist looking for a cure for cancer. Is that an example of seeking knowledge for the sake of Allah or not? Is it an example of seeking knowledge for worldly gain? Should the scientist go to hell according to the hadith or not?

Peace

h-n
01-12-2015, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Imagine a research scientist looking for a cure for cancer. Is that an example of seeking knowledge for the sake of Allah or not? Is it an example of seeking knowledge for worldly gain? Should the scientist go to hell according to the hadith or not?

Peace

Helping the sick is part of being charitable, which includes providing medicine. Charity is where people don't ask anything in return, except that it pleases them and Allah, and that Allah provides everything.

Plenty of scientists do not care about religion, and do they actively support being charitable?? Helping the elderly for example. Its like those who go into space exploration, they say they are doing it for humankind, if they cared about people so much, they would be spending more time, helping the poor etc. It is rather about showing off.

To spend the rest of your life trying to find a cure is not a charity, do you think that everyone will just die of nothing??? A religious person would be happy that they go into the hereafter. How is that any different to scientists wishing to find the cure for ageing-they disbelieve in God. I disagree with organ transplants, but how are these scientists helping people?? A religious person's life in this world is only to save up a reward for the hereafter. No one needs to cut someone's body open and take their organs (where they are not healing, but tossing away organs), to pass their test.

How do they find the cure?? They first research on lifestyle differences like cervical cancer-majority of it was sexually active related, where they researched the differences between chaste females and ones who are not. They even go up females private parts to mess around with the embryos, the cells etc-so again how can anyone claim they are doing this because they cared about God, as caring about God, means that you are living to earn a reward and go in to the next world.

When someone finds out that they are dying, for the Muslims that is a blessing that they can repent, and worship God, as not many people know that they are dying. You cannot just get rid of the fact that people die, and people need to accept that instead of being selfish and asking other people to support them in this world by spending their lifetime trying to find a cure. If you were truly religious, then you know that people need to prepare for the hereafter, not to spend so long trying to remain in this world.

InToTheRain
01-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Peace Cg,

If they were doing research to help people knowing that Allah is Pleased with one who helps others and seeking nearness to Him through this His pleasure then it would be for the sake of Allah Most High.

If he were to do research purely for fame and glory and to help the people not caring about Gods Pleasure then he would be rewarded for the good he has done in this life.

However I think whats confusing you most is the context. Seeking knowledge here is referring to religious knowledge (Qur'an and Hadith etc) which should be used for improving ones relation with Allah Most High and not worldly gains which completely goes against their intended use.

InToTheRain
01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Peace Cg,

If they were doing research to help people knowing that Allah is Pleased with one who helps others and seeking nearness to Him through this His pleasure then it would be for the sake of Allah Most High.

If he were to do research purely for fame and glory and to help the people not caring about Gods Pleasure then he would be rewarded for the good he has done in this life.

However I think whats confusing you most is the context. Seeking knowledge here is referring to religious knowledge (Qur'an and Hadith etc) which should be used for improving ones relation with Allah Most High and not worldly gains which completely goes against their intended use.

For example a person who uses Islam to make excuses to devide Muslims and kill innocents in order to gain political power or usurp the land of Muslims would fall into the category of those who seek knowledge for other then Allah Most High.

'abd al-hakeem
06-28-2016, 09:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain

:bump1:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.