/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Report: Chief Rabbi says move Gazans to a Palestine in Sinai

ahsan28
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Report: Chief Rabbi says move Gazans to a Palestine in Sinai

HAARETZ (Israel daily)
28/01/2008

Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger has been quoted as calling for Gazans to be transferred to the Sinai Peninsula, to a Palestinian state whichj he said could be constructed for them in the desert.

In an interview in English with the British weekly The Jewish News, the chief rabbi also said that while peaceable Muslims should be allowed to pray in Jeruasalem mosques, they should recognize that Jerusalem belongs to the Jews. Muslims have Mecca and Medina, he was quoted as saying, adding that "you don't need a third place."

According to Metzger, the plan would be to "take all the poor people from Gaza to move them to a wonderful new modern country with trains buses cars, like in Arizona - we are now in a generation where you can take a desert and build a city. This will be a solution for the poor people - they will have a nice county, and we shall have our country and we shall live in peace."

Muslims 'don't need a third place

Metzger also called for Muslims to have the freedom to return to pray in mosques on condition that they do so peaceably: "We will welcome every Palestinian man who wants to pray in his mosque. Every Friday they can come, but with one condition, without violence. We have the same feeling about prayers, we want to give you respect but let us live and believe our land is the Holy Land and Jerusalem belongs to us. You have another place, Mecca and Medina, you don't need a third place."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/948907.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
01-30-2008, 02:52 AM
you know what? i have an idea,,, how about we move all israelis into the sea????

it is now possible to build land and islands and even a country on the sea! just look at dubai, how many man made islands have they built recently? you have the palm trees, the WORLD, they even want to make the universe!

so lets move them all into the sea, and they can do the same as dubai, they are so smart as they always say, having the highest number of scientists or whatever, so it shouldnt be too hard for them.

snakelegs
01-30-2008, 02:55 AM
for a chief rabbi this is actually progress. there was one who referred to the palestinians as "cockroaches" to be squashed.
prince - ;D

The_Prince
01-30-2008, 03:01 AM
whats so funny is this ashkhanzi's have no connection to the land! they came from russia after being converted! theyre europeans with nooooooooooooo connection to the land!

go back to russia.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Roasted Cashew
01-30-2008, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
you know what? i have an idea,,, how about we move all israelis into the sea????

it is now possible to build land and islands and even a country on the sea! just look at dubai, how many man made islands have they built recently? you have the palm trees, the WORLD, they even want to make the universe!

so lets move them all into the sea, and they can do the same as dubai, they are so smart as they always say, having the highest number of scientists or whatever, so it shouldnt be too hard for them.
I totally agree with you. I don't even mind if you all move them to where I live currently, Malaysia. The government is looking to increase the population of 28 million to 70 million in the next 50 years. Those Israelis will be a good boost:D

Roasted Cashew
01-30-2008, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
for a chief rabbi this is actually progress. there was one who referred to the palestinians as "cockroaches" to be squashed.
prince - ;D
Good point. Very good point.

ahsan28
01-30-2008, 07:01 AM
He is the same guy, who was under criminal investigation, a couple of months ago for abusing his appointment and authority :embarrass

Woodrow
01-30-2008, 07:22 AM
whats so funny is this ashkhanzi's have no connection to the land! they came from russia after being converted! theyre europeans with nooooooooooooo connection to the land!

go back to russia.
I believe that has been the biggest problem that most Westerners don't under stand. The Majority of the Jews in Israel are not semitic, they have no physical blood connection with the Jews that lived in Peace with the Muslims until 1947. In fact many of the Semitic Jews are Palestinians and still live in Peace with their Muslim neighbors.

I do not see the conflict as being Jew vs Muslim it is more Zionist vs Palestinian

ahsan28
01-30-2008, 07:56 AM
On the contrary, there are people with character and integrity, who have the courage to speak truth:-

For the cause, the settlements must go

By SHELDON SCHRETER
Jerusalem Post
Jan 29, 2008

Israelis seem to have lost their belief in the rightness of our cause, as various observers have recently noted with alarm. Whether you attribute this to ideological fatigue, the universal tendency to pursue personal and material goals over collective ones, or loss in the belief of God's promise of this Land to Abraham, there is real cause for concern.

I recently read David Shulman's Dark Hope, which is an eyewitness report on the abominations committed in the West Bank in the name of the Jewish people.

The settlements thus undermine both the external perception others have of us, and our own internal perception of the rightness of our cause. As such, in utter contradiction to the intentions of so many of their residents, settlements wind up weakening rather than strengthening us, and seriously endangering the existence of the one Jewish state we do have.

We must sober up, prioritize and consolidate before it is too late. We have to relinquish our profound internal split over Greater Israel in order to unite effectively in favor of pre-1967 Israel (plus minor, negotiated additions). Our shared belief in the rightness of our cause - without which we shall fall - cannot be rebuilt so long as we are occupying and dispossessing another people.

It will be tragic to leave the sites associated with our cherished collective memories. But it would be infinitely more tragic to risk Israel's disintegration by a refusal. The cost of the settlements is much, much too great to bear.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Trumble
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
I totally agree with you. I don't even mind if you all move them to where I live currently, Malaysia. The government is looking to increase the population of 28 million to 70 million in the next 50 years.
What on earth for?!

Roasted Cashew
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
What on earth for?!
I didn't get your question. Would you like to further clarify?

north_malaysian
01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I totally agree with you. I don't even mind if you all move them to where I live currently, Malaysia. The government is looking to increase the population of 28 million to 70 million in the next 50 years. Those Israelis will be a good boost:D
If Malays could have lots of problems accepting 2 millions Indonesians who share the same religion, ancestry and religion in this country... do you think they would accept 6 millions Israelis who are 100% different?

Plus, our nationalist leaders are well-known to be anti-Semitic too...

Would the Israelis ready enough to be a minority in a country where the Malays are the ONLY "chosen people"?

And that 70,000,000 population in Malaysia campaign had become silent since 10 years ago..... maybe because Malaysians just cannot accept more immigrants.... remember, the government planned to kick out 200,000 immigrants this year...

AvarAllahNoor
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
It's a solution.

Ebtisweetsam
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I didn't get your question. Would you like to further clarify?
Why on earth would U want them in ur country?
I dont think thats the solution... i rekon the solution is keep planting the trees mentioned in the Qu'ran (on their fake Islands in the middle of the sea:D), so they can be prepared to be caught from behind them.

Amadeus85
01-30-2008, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Woodrow;906133]
I believe that has been the biggest problem that most Westerners don't under stand. The Majority of the Jews in Israel are not semitic, they have no physical blood connection with the Jews that lived in Peace with the Muslims until 1947.
Judaism is based on faith in Yahve not on the same blood. So just like all muslims from all over the world(from Algeria to Indonesia) believe that Mecca and Medina belongs to them and only to them, so I think that also Jews from all over the world believe that Jerusalem and Kanaan belongs to them.

In fact many of the Semitic Jews are Palestinians and still live in Peace with their Muslim neighbors.
Not anymore. After 1947 hundreds of thousands of Jews had to run away from arabic countries.

I do not see the conflict as being Jew vs Muslim it is more Zionist vs Palestinian
I dont agree. Maybe Im not expert in judaism but i guess that Jews think that Jerusalem belongs to them as a Holy Land. So it is part of their faith, just like part of muslims' faith is that Mecca belongs to muslims.

aadil77
01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Aaron85;906325]
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Judaism is based on faith in Yahve not on the same blood. So just like all muslims from all over the world(from Algeria to Indonesia) believe that Mecca and Medina belongs to them and only to them, so I think that also Jews from all over the world believe that Jerusalem and Kanaan belongs to them.

Not anymore. After 1947 hundreds of thousands of Jews had to run away from arabic countries.

I dont agree. Maybe Im not expert in judaism but i guess that Jews think that Jerusalem belongs to them as a Holy Land. So it is part of their faith, just like part of muslims' faith is that Mecca belongs to muslims.

WE beleive that God owns the whole of the earth and has made it for us to dwell in, so we can and should be able to go whereever we want freelly, worship whereever we want etc

Jews can't claim that Jeruslem is all theirs because it containe many of our prophets graves, Al aqsa used to be the first direction of prayer, dome of rock is where our Prophet muhammed left to go on the sacred night journey etc

Amadeus85
01-30-2008, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=aadil77;906338][QUOTE=Aaron85;906325]

WE beleive that God owns the whole of the earth and has made it for us to dwell in, so we can and should be able to go whereever we want freelly, worship whereever we want etc
Tell me, can non muslims enter Mecca ?

Jews can't claim that Jeruslem is all theirs because it containe many of our prophets graves, Al aqsa used to be the first direction of prayer, dome of rock is where our Prophet muhammed left to go on the sacred night journey etc
It is your point of view as a muslim. I understand it and respect it. But you should also understand and respect the fact that Jews have their own belief and they will fight for it.Just like muslims fight for their belief. This is how it is when people read their holy texts as a direct word of God which may lead them to violence.

AntiKarateKid
01-30-2008, 09:35 PM
What is the problem with holy books being the word of God, in my opinion it would be better off being the word of God than a continuously changed story by Humans. Hence all the abrogated religions today. If you do not set in in stone as the word of God then people are free to change it and that leads to more violence in my opinion when a person can write what they want.

Fishman
01-30-2008, 09:54 PM
:sl:
The Temple Mount is holy to Judaism, Christianity and Islam, so it is nonsense for Jews to claim it is all theirs. The city should belong to all three religions, rather than an Israel or a Palestine.

Gaza should be incorporated into Egypt, and Palestine and the Negev should be part of Jordan again (Palestinians are not really a seperate people, they are just Jordanians who are occupied by Israel). Or they should all be turned into one country, and be forced to play nice, on pain of having their heads all bashed together.
:w:

AvarAllahNoor
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I agree with the right honorable friend Mr Fishyman.

Live in harmony ya silly lot!!

The_Prince
01-31-2008, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The Temple Mount is holy to Judaism, Christianity and Islam, so it is nonsense for Jews to claim it is all theirs. The city should belong to all three religions, rather than an Israel or a Palestine.

Gaza should be incorporated into Egypt, and Palestine and the Negev should be part of Jordan again (Palestinians are not really a seperate people, they are just Jordanians who are occupied by Israel). Or they should all be turned into one country, and be forced to play nice, on pain of having their heads all bashed together.
i see you say gaza should be incorparated into egypt, and west bank back to jordan, yet no mention of most of Israel? yes so palestinians must give up their identity and become part of egypt and jordan, while the thief Israel keeps it identity,,,,,you sure as hell dont speak for me or other Palestinians, we want our own country, we dont want to be part of Egypt or Jordan, they have their own countries and land and so should we.

And correction, Palestinians arent just Jordanians, i see you have been listening to too much zionist garbage.

how about Israel give all the land back to the Palestinians, from whom they stole it, thats what should happen. Not Palestinians incorparate into this or that when it is their land and was stolen.

My familly lived and grew in a town near Jerusalem, infact the very same town from where Salahuddin defeated the crusaders, and we werent Jordanians nor called ourselves Jordanians nor had any relation to the Jordanians. We had our own identity and land....so plz dont repeat the zionist garbage that we are supposedly Jordanians and case closed lets all move to Jordan. this is a zionist tactic to ROB us Palestinians of our very identity, because if there is no such thing as Palestinians, then no need for Palestine and the little zionist devil isnt wrong after all! infact many historians and analysts have CONDEMNED this tactic by zionists.

aadil77
01-31-2008, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Fishman;906523]:sl:
[QUOTE]

I agree with you on that, it just so happens that the religious sites of two of the major religons Islam and Christianity are in israel so yes , its stupid to claim it belongs all to israel

MaiCarInMtl
01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=Aaron85;906417]
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Tell me, can non muslims enter Mecca ?
Can someone pelase answer this? I'm agree with Aadil's reasoning, but Aaron does have a point.

Why must we always think this way "This is mine! This is mine!". Why can we not share, especially when it comes to holy/religious places? There is not just one religion in the world! What's so wrong with sharing? I'd really like to know what God think of all of this. We're always making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Maybe as if the engineers in Dubai can send them plans so the Israelis can build their own little island where they can stash all their weapons, nukes, and put up miles of barbed-wire fence to keep everyone out. Maybe then the complaining would stop and everyone would just get on with their lives!

ahsan28
01-31-2008, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=MaiCarInMtl;906933]
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85

Can someone pelase answer this?

Do they have any claim/ attachment/connection?

Fishman
01-31-2008, 09:49 PM
i see you say gaza should be incorparated into egypt, and west bank back to jordan, yet no mention of most of Israel? yes so palestinians must give up their identity and become part of egypt and jordan, while the thief Israel keeps it identity,,,,,you sure as hell dont speak for me or other Palestinians, we want our own country, we dont want to be part of Egypt or Jordan, they have their own countries and land and so should we.

And correction, Palestinians arent just Jordanians, i see you have been listening to too much zionist garbage.

how about Israel give all the land back to the Palestinians, from whom they stole it, thats what should happen. Not Palestinians incorparate into this or that when it is their land and was stolen.

My familly lived and grew in a town near Jerusalem, infact the very same town from where Salahuddin defeated the crusaders, and we werent Jordanians nor called ourselves Jordanians nor had any relation to the Jordanians. We had our own identity and land....so plz dont repeat the zionist garbage that we are supposedly Jordanians and case closed lets all move to Jordan. this is a zionist tactic to ROB us Palestinians of our very identity, because if there is no such thing as Palestinians, then no need for Palestine and the little zionist devil isnt wrong after all! infact many historians and analysts have CONDEMNED this tactic by zionists.
But Palestine was part of Jordan to start with, and so was Israel. And face it, a Palestinian state would never survive on its own. I bet a few weeks after independence some millitia will go and fire a few rockets over the border, and Israel will go insane, as it usually does, and re-occupy Palestine. And in the mean time, Israel's secret agencies will no doubt try their best make sure that Palestine never grows a significant army to defend itself with. The best chance for Palestine is for it to join up with a larger, more powerful country like Jordan.

As for Israel, the Negev (southern Israel) will be given to Jordan as compensation for the massive destruction of infrastructure in Palestine. Northern Israel will stay independent as a Jewish state. Jerusalem and the surrounding areas should become a separate city-state, ruled by a tri-religious council, and the Golan Heights should become part of Syria again.

All countries in the region (Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria) must be stripped of the capablity to make any kind of millitary offensive other than a counter-offensive in the event that somebody else attacks them. This will help to ensure peace.

Amadeus85
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=ahsan28;906990]
format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl

Do they have any claim/ attachment/connection?
Propably not, but for Jews a muslim prophet Muhammed wasn't a prophet of Yahve so Jews think that muslims also dont have claim /connedtion to Jerusalem. You got my point?

Whatsthepoint
01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
All countries in the region (Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria) must be stripped of the capablity to make any kind of millitary offensive other than a counter-offensive in the event that somebody else attacks them. This will help to ensure peace.
I don't think this is an option. Israel is threatened not only by Syria and Egypt but virtually by every Arab state...combined. Hence it cannot afford having a weak military.

ahsan28
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Aaron85;907034]
format_quote Originally Posted by ahsan28

Propably not, but for Jews a muslim prophet Muhammed wasn't a prophet of Yahve so Jews think that muslims also dont have claim /connedtion to Jerusalem. You got my point?

Jerusalem was our first holy kaaba and we have our Aqsa Mosque there. On the contrary Jews don't have any sacred place in Mecca and Medina. I therefore don't see any connection.

The_Prince
01-31-2008, 10:58 PM
But Palestine was part of Jordan to start with, and so was Israel. And face it, a Palestinian state would never survive on its own. I bet a few weeks after independence some millitia will go and fire a few rockets over the border, and Israel will go insane, as it usually does, and re-occupy Palestine. And in the mean time, Israel's secret agencies will no doubt try their best make sure that Palestine never grows a significant army to defend itself with. The best chance for Palestine is for it to join up with a larger, more powerful country like Jordan.

As for Israel, the Negev (southern Israel) will be given to Jordan as compensation for the massive destruction of infrastructure in Palestine. Northern Israel will stay independent as a Jewish state. Jerusalem and the surrounding areas should become a separate city-state, ruled by a tri-religious council, and the Golan Heights should become part of Syria again.

wrong again, Jordan became a country with borders and all by 1946, my familly and many other Palestinians were living in a village around Jerusalem for centuries and centuries, we were never jordanians or living on jordanian land. We were always Palestinians.

again, it is a zionist lie that we Palestinians are Jordanians or we were on Jordanian land, I repeat we were living on this land which we knew and refered to as Palestine (filistine) with our own culture and identity......

the west bank was only under Jordanian rule from 1948-1967, many Arabs opposed this as well.....

and btw i have no problem with Jordan or Jordanians, but Jordan is Jordan, and Palestine is Palestine, I am a Palestinian from the land of Palestine, i am not a Jordanian from Jordan. No one will ever rob of us of our identity and history and make false claims that we are Jordanians or were part of Jordan.

as for Palestine not being able to stand on its own or whatever, well that isnt for you, a 16 year old to decide. It is our land, and many Palestinians have been suffering to gain their independance for decades, so it is their right to get their own country and land once and for all.

and you make a funny comment, Jordan is powerful? Israel today is in this strong position because they completely destroyed the Jordanians in the 67 war, not only the Jordanians, but the Egyptions, and Syrians as well!

it is easy for people who have their own country and living nice and happy to tell Palestinians "oh yeah just give your land to Jordan, no problem, no Palestine, just become one with them, give up your identity its all good" its very easy for others to say this as if its like giving away a piece of chicken.

infact forget all the borders, we should bring the Khalifah back and have no borders and all the middle-east will simply be under the rule of Islam, that is the way to go, everyone will have their identity and culture through this, just like they did when Islam ruled........

Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon etc etc all of them are a bunch of weak sell out puppy stooges to America and dont represent one person on the ground.

AntiKarateKid
02-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Hmm I am confused as well now, we are to share but then again non Muslims are not allowed in Mecca...hmmm

WHen I think about it, that prohibition is due to safety . An unbeliever may try and destroy the Kaaba. BUT in Jerusalem, nether side would really harm the holy site as it is dear to BOTH sides not just 1.

snakelegs
02-01-2008, 06:14 AM
it isn't really comparable.
jerusalem is holy to all 3 religions and the kaaba is holy only to muslims.

ahsan28
02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
The Chief Rabbi is not alone in this sacred mission

Jewish group to build 200 new housing units in East Jerusalem

Haaretz Correspondent
31/01/2008

The Yemin Yehuda non-profit association has begun building 200 housing units in the Shimon Hatzaddik compound, in the heart of East Jerusalem's Sheikh Jarra neighborhood. In the process, the organization intends to demolish the homes of dozens of Palestinian families who live there.

This neighborhood is in a strategic location: If Yemin Yehuda completes its plan, it will cut the Old City off from the Palestinian neighborhoods in northern Jerusalem.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/949976.html

north_malaysian
02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
it isn't really comparable.
jerusalem is holy to all 3 religions and the kaaba is holy only to muslims.
Now, the Kaabah is only holy for Muslims...

But, is it true that during the pre-Islamic Mecca, the Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs also consider Kaabah to be holy?

AvarAllahNoor
02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
It isn't really comparable.

Jerusalem is holy to all 3 religions and the Kaaba is holy only to muslims.
Birth place of Ali ibn Abi Talib isn't it?

Whatsthepoint
02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

But, is it true that during the pre-Islamic Mecca, the Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs also consider Kaabah to be holy?
Pagans considered it holy as well, didn't they?

Keltoi
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Pagans considered it holy as well, didn't they?
Yes, in the pre-Islamic era.

MaiCarInMtl
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm just not getting why people are told to share and then others turn around and say "it's ours, get out!". Didn't God give us the whole planet to share? And we all know that just because someone lay clame to something, it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else will respect it.

Someone else mentionned that people might try to get in and damage the place, that is a possibility. But what about the people who are genuinely interested in seing the place? Why not give them an escort (or give a small group an escort)? Of course, not during the high season and days where the place is already overflowing with people.

Maybe I'm just being a major granola hippy here, but it just makes me a bit sad that I may never get to see this amazing place, experience even just a fraction of how it feels to be there simply because I do not call myself a Muslim. I believe in God, I believe in the prophet, I believe in everything the religion teaches and have a lot of respect for it, yet I am barred simply because I am not labelled a certain thing.

Is there a rule somewhere saying that non-muslims cannot enter? Who made this rule? I'd just like to know for clarification's sake. Thank you :)

Roasted Cashew
02-01-2008, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian

I might be wrong but I don't think it was HOLY for the Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs. YES, it was considered holy by Pagan Arabs. The Kaabah was Built by Prophet Abraham and Prophet Ishmael(peace be upon them both) as a place of worship of the one true God, but later after their time the Pagans took over. They started putting in their idols and stuff.

Earlier:

Prophet Abraham(pbuh) also prayed that a prophet be raised from the progeny of Ishmael, who would be the inhabitants this land, as the progeny of Isaac would inhabit the lands of Canaan.

“And raise up in their midst a Messenger from among them who shall recite to them Your revelations, and shall instruct them in the Scripture and in wisdom and shall purify them of their sins. Lo! You, only You, are the Mighty, the Wise.” (Quran 2:127-129)

Abraham’s prayer for a Messenger was answered several thousand years later when God raised Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) among the Arabs, and as Mecca was chosen to be a sanctuary and House of Worship for all humanity, so too was the Prophet of Mecca one sent to all humanity.

Keltoi
02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I might be wrong but I don't think it was HOLY for the Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs. YES, it was considered holy by Pagan Arabs. The Kaabah was Built by Prophet Abraham and Prophet Ishmael(peace be upon them both) as a place of worship of the one true God, but later after their time the Pagans took over. They started putting in their idols and stuff.

Earlier:

Prophet Abraham(pbuh) also prayed that a prophet be raised from the progeny of Ishmael, who would be the inhabitants this land, as the progeny of Isaac would inhabit the lands of Canaan.

“And raise up in their midst a Messenger from among them who shall recite to them Your revelations, and shall instruct them in the Scripture and in wisdom and shall purify them of their sins. Lo! You, only You, are the Mighty, the Wise.” (Quran 2:127-129)

Abraham’s prayer for a Messenger was answered several thousand years later when God raised Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) among the Arabs, and as Mecca was chosen to be a sanctuary and House of Worship for all humanity, so too was the Prophet of Mecca one sent to all humanity.
I'm just curious as to what evidence there is that the Kaabah was "built" by Abraham? Is that purely scriptural or is there some other basis for that?

Roasted Cashew
02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl
Is there a rule somewhere saying that non-muslims cannot enter? Who made this rule? I'd just like to know for clarification's sake. Thank you :)
I am seriously not sure but this is what I found from this site below:
http://islam.about.com/od/hajj/f/mecca.htm

And I quote:
Mecca and Madinah are cities of great importance in Islamic tradition -- centers of pilgrimage and prayer, sacred places where Muslims are free from the distractions of daily life. The ban on non-Muslim visitors is mentioned in the Qur’an as follows: "Oh you who believe! Truly the idolaters are unclean; so let them not, after this year, approach the Sacred Mosque...." (9:28). This verse specifically refers to the Grand Mosque in Mecca; later scholars have included Madinah in this ruling as well. There are some Islamic scholars who would permit exceptions to this general rule, for trade purposes or for people who are under treaty permission. There is also some debate about the exact area and borders of the restricted area(s). The government of Saudi Arabia, which controls access to the holy sites, has decided upon a strict ban on both cities in their entirety.

Restricting access to Mecca and Madinah is intended to provide a place of peace and refuge for Muslim believers and preserve the sanctity of the holy cities.

# I noticed it says idolaters. So what about other monotheists? Just thinking.

MaiCarInMtl
02-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I am seriously not sure but this is what I found from this site below:
http://islam.about.com/od/hajj/f/mecca.htm

And I quote:
Mecca and Madinah are cities of great importance in Islamic tradition -- centers of pilgrimage and prayer, sacred places where Muslims are free from the distractions of daily life. The ban on non-Muslim visitors is mentioned in the Qur’an as follows: "Oh you who believe! Truly the idolaters are unclean; so let them not, after this year, approach the Sacred Mosque...." (9:28). This verse specifically refers to the Grand Mosque in Mecca; later scholars have included Madinah in this ruling as well. There are some Islamic scholars who would permit exceptions to this general rule, for trade purposes or for people who are under treaty permission. There is also some debate about the exact area and borders of the restricted area(s). The government of Saudi Arabia, which controls access to the holy sites, has decided upon a strict ban on both cities in their entirety.

Restricting access to Mecca and Madinah is intended to provide a place of peace and refuge for Muslim believers and preserve the sanctity of the holy cities.

# I noticed it says idolaters. So what about other monotheists? Just thinking.
Ahhh! So if it's in the Qur'an, then I can accept it. Thank you for the information. Good question about the idolaters.

I asked a few muslims I know (the very few I know)where this rule came from and they were unsure themselves. I will share this with them.

I hope to one day see it with my own eyes - just seing videos of the crowds during the pilgrimage makes me get this feeling of awe... Even though I am not a Muslim. Anyway! Enough blabbing on my part.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.