/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up Folks...

Ninth_Scribe
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. intelligence satellite has lost power and could fall to Earth sometime in February or March, a government official said on Saturday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the spy satellite can no longer be controlled and it was not known where on the planet it might come down.

"Appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation," said National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe. "Numerous satellites over the years have come out of orbit and fallen harmlessly. We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause."

In recent years, NASA has safely brought defunct satellites back to Earth. In 2000, the space agency maneuvered the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory to a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean.

(Reporting by Deborah Zabarenko; Editing by Eric Walsh)
This is a public service announcement.

The Ninth Scribe

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
01-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Interesting, my friend was telling about this this morning. Provide a source please. :)

Muezzin
01-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, tar me in feathers and call me Chicken Licken.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Ebtisweetsam
01-30-2008, 01:22 PM
When you see it swingin past, be sure to call Bush to sit under it (whoeva sent it up there must have it land on their head) :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DaNgErOuS MiNdS
01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Must have been the aliens.

AvarAllahNoor
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
That Ant is annoying me!!

Cognescenti
01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22857051/

I like the space-geek jargon..."de-orbit" :D

I hope it hits my beamer (when I'm not in it). I have two power window motors out and I dont feel like fixing them.

Muezzin
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22857051/

I like the space-geek jargon..."de-orbit" :D

I hope it hits my beamer (when I'm not in it). I have two power window motors out and I dont feel like fixing them.
For insurance purposes, would falling man-made satellites constitute an Act of God?

truemuslim
01-30-2008, 05:04 PM
...if it falls on someone or someones property...can we sue?hehe im kiddin

Ninth_Scribe
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
If I have my way, it will crash land on the Pentagon. :Evil:

Yes, it does count as... an act of God.

The Ninth Scribe

Cognescenti
01-30-2008, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
For insurance purposes, would falling man-made satellites constitute an Act of God?
If a bus sized piece of metal "de-orbits" onto my car, I am not goign to file a claim with State Farm Insurance :D

I think I will go after the owner

truemuslim
01-30-2008, 06:15 PM
^ yeah finally someone ...right...hehe loll...thats right go after the owner state farm insurance wudnt beat up the owner now wud they? lol

Ninth_Scribe
01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
If a bus sized piece of metal "de-orbits" onto my car, I am not goign to file a claim with State Farm Insurance :D

I think I will go after the owner
They would pay you whatever you wanted to get their equipment back.

The Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Flash Update:

A U.S. official confirmed that the spy satellite, which lost power and no longer can be controlled, was launched in December 2006 and could weigh as much as 10,000 pounds. It carried a sophisticated and secret imaging sensor but the satellite's central computer failed shortly after launch.

Renuart added that, "As it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," then the U.S. military along with the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will either have to deal with the impact or assist Canadian or Mexican authorities.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22904031/
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

The Ninth Scribe

Cognescenti
01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
If I have my way, it will crash land on the Pentagon. :Evil:

Yes, it does count as... an act of God.

The Ninth Scribe

I did a quick calculation. The surface footprint of the Pentagon is about 1.3 km2. The surface of the Earth is about 510,000,000 km2

If we assume the satellite had an equal probability of hitting anywhere on the planet (not really true) then the probability of it hitting the Pentagon would be about 1.3/510,000,000,......2.5 x 10**-9. That is a very low order of probability. If it hits the Pentagon, I am really going to be impressed. :D

Cognescenti
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Flash Update:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

The Ninth Scribe
Pretty much anywhere it could hit in Mexico or New Jersey it would fall under the "urban renewal" category.

truemuslim
01-30-2008, 10:19 PM
..is there any chance i can land DIRECTLY at this address?
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

lol im kiddin..

Ninth_Scribe
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I did a quick calculation. The surface footprint of the Pentagon is about 1.3 km2. The surface of the Earth is about 510,000,000 km2

If we assume the satellite had an equal probability of hitting anywhere on the planet (not really true) then the probability of it hitting the Pentagon would be about 1.3/510,000,000,......2.5 x 10**-9. That is a very low order of probability. If it hits the Pentagon, I am really going to be impressed. :D
Cool... I'll take those odds. And put me down for the Patriots for a 9 point lead too :)

The Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Pretty much anywhere it could hit in Mexico or New Jersey it would fall under the "urban renewal" category.
Hahahaha! Urban renewal... OMG! That was so funny!

The Ninth Scribe

wilberhum
01-30-2008, 10:45 PM
It really has me worried now that I have seen this.

I was born and raised in Nebraska

Ninth_Scribe
02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
It really has me worried now that I have seen this.

I was born and raised in Nebraska
Knowing my luck, it will miss the Atlantic ocean and hit Cape Cod :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's a game of wait and see for now.

The Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.