/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Network error?

crayon
01-30-2008, 11:54 AM
"Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.
The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
"

I've been getting that for almost every web page I've tried to open today. Sometimes I get a smart filter as well, whatever that is. I've asked my friend, who also lives here, if the websites work with her, she said they do. They don't work on my brother's laptop either.

Any idea what might be wrong with my internet/computer?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
itsme
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
i got this problem a few days back. it was only temporary. for 1 day only (or could be less i don't know because i did not try again). so when i connected again the next day everything was fine. just wait a few hours and try again. if still not good then tomorrow. in the meantime you could scan your PC for any virus/spyware.

guyabano
01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
do you have a DSL Line or dial in by modem?

If DSL, then it means, your computer cannot resolve Hostnames, means, he cannot find the DNS Server.

Solutions:

1. If you have more compters in the house, check if none of them has entered an wrong DNS, or even gateway in the Network. Might confuse the other computers connected.
  2. Check the DSL Router, if all settings are on Auto concerning DHCP and IP Settings
  3. If you only have one computer connected, check also if your Network Connection has also all settings set on Dynamic, means Get IP/DNS automatically from DHCP Server

If nothing helps, then it might be a problem from the Internet-provider also. Maybe you should call up in that case.

crayon
01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
We've got DSL, guyabano.

As for the solutions...how do I do all that? I'm on the modem page thing or whatever it's called. I've got a bunch of options.

System

DNS

WAN

LAN

WIRELESS

NAT

ROUTING

FIREWALL

SNMP

UPnP

ADSL

DDNS

TOOLS

STATUS

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MartyrX
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Are you using a Microsoft operating system like XP? I'm going to assume yes for the moment.

Go to the control panel then network and internet connections. Go to network connections then right click then chose properties.

Find TCP/IP protocol then click properties. See if it has obtain dns server automatically. Make sure it does if it doesn't.

Also are you using a wireless connection? Is everyone using a wireless connection in your house?

crayon
01-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I'm using XP, and it's connected via a wire, although i'm sort of using wireless simultaneously, i think. I found the tcp/ip protocol, the dns server is set to automatic. Still isn't working.

I appreciate everyone's help, btw!
Jazakaumu Allahu khair.

MartyrX
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Do you have a firewall or any anti-virus software? Try to disable those and then open your web browser.

Also go to run then type in cmd and press enter.

type in ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Ibn Al Aqwa
01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
^Well that wont be the problem seeing as he has accessed the net before, a DNS error, most likely, in your circumstances is your internet provider, either they'll fix it, or you'll have to call them...

WaSalaam

crayon
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
No, the firewall is disabled and the antivirus isn't a problem.

I just tried that, still not working.

I tried googling the problem and found this.
I did it, and it worked for one of the sites I was having trouble with, but the other one is still not working. If I used that method, do you know how I can solve it?

qassy!
01-31-2008, 12:17 PM
i think its the server I have had problems accessing it all day today

truemuslim
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
maybe it is the server like ^ said...

the whole islamicboard went off...

crayon
02-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Still not working.

Okay, another question.

Anyone know of a forum that deals with internet or computers or something I can post this question on?
Jazakumu Allahu Khair.

IB-Staff
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
This maybe your reason:
http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/01/stor...0161490100.htm
Besides India, traffic in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia was also affected.
Anyone know of a forum that deals with internet or computers or something I can post this question on?
Google it, you may find many.
Try: http://www.techsupportforum.com/

or...
http://www.techguy.org/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/
http://www.opentechsupport.net/

crayon
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought that as well at first too, but I asked some of my friends who live here to try the same website I'm having trouble with, and they accessed it just fine, so I'm thinking it's just me.

Those links are absolutely great!! Thank you!
Jazaka Allahu Khair

crayon
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Ahh, I called my ISP and they told me how to fix it. They gave me a manual proxy to use, and it worked!

Thanks anyway, everyone!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.